PDA

View Full Version : MBTI types of fictional characters

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Sarcastikus
19 Aug 2008, 05:05 PM
These may have been mentioned previously:

Dr Daniel Jackson in Stargate (the movie and the series)
Dr Brackish Okun in Independence Day (he was played by Brent Spiner, "Data" from Star Trek TNG)

And from television:

Detective Robert Goren in Law and Order: Criminal Intent

Sarcastikus
19 Aug 2008, 05:12 PM
Is there anyone here who need to watch a movie twice to fully enjoy it? Of course a movie that you like..

Some of David Lynch's recent movies, especially Inland Empire, Mulholland Drive, and Lost Highway.

I also occasionally immerse myself in Ingmar Bergman's "Silence of God" trilogy: Through a Glass Darkly, WInter Light, and The Silence.

I'm not sure that I need to watch these movies twice, but I like to because I find something I missed when I watched them before.

outmywindow
19 Aug 2008, 05:18 PM
Super merged three threads on the MBTI types of fictional characters.

cafe
19 Aug 2008, 05:39 PM
And from television:

Detective Robert Goren in Law and Order: Criminal Intent
If that is the case that would explain why I find that character very attractive, besides his stocky build, that is.

MerieM
19 Aug 2008, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure that I need to watch these movies twice, but I like to because I find something I missed when I watched them before.

You watch it again for missed details, that's somehow the need I was talking about, well it's not a real need after all.

notjeffgoldblum
5 Sep 2008, 08:53 AM
I think the boy from American Beauty was an INTP.

SwirlingSugarSparkles
6 Sep 2008, 12:01 AM
Remember the show "Dead Like Me" that ran on Showtime for awhile? I thought that "George (female)" the main character seemed INTP. I could really relate to her.

Limey
6 Sep 2008, 12:29 AM
Remember the show "Dead Like Me" that ran on Showtime for awhile? I thought that "George (female)" the main character seemed INTP. I could really relate to her.

I have those on my DVR - it's hard not to think of MBTI watching that show, especially with the obviously ESxJ boss "getting things done" webcam etc and the INFP English guy, all good characters in any story or book to some degree have to adhere to stereotypical typology.

Twitch
6 Sep 2008, 01:34 AM
I have those on my DVR - it's hard not to think of MBTI watching that show, especially with the obviously ESxJ boss "getting things done" webcam etc and the INFP English guy, all good characters in any story or book to some degree have to adhere to stereotypical typology.

Not to mention the fact that the girl from the first season who didn't stick around was trying to type the SP guy with a quiz in a magazine one night when they were waiting to take someone and the money he was stealing.

She said, and I'm paraphrasing from memory here: "I wonder if he's an NT. . . NTs are the worst."

notjeffgoldblum
7 Sep 2008, 01:35 AM
Adam Sandler's character in Punch Drunk Love

Richie Tenenbaum was an INTP.

Will Hunting.

Llewellyn
1 Oct 2008, 01:29 PM
It seems cool to me to type the charatcers of TV show Friends. I wonder if this has been done before... Does anyone have an idea? I'm a bit passive about this yet. But of course Monica would be J :)

Maybe Ross and Phoebe come relatively closest to the INTP type?

Curious after any ideas you have.

carbon cold
1 Oct 2008, 01:40 PM
... you watch Friends? :mellow:

outmywindow
1 Oct 2008, 03:54 PM
Merge.

Llewellyn
1 Oct 2008, 04:23 PM
... you watch Friends? :mellow:

Yeah, sometimes I wonder. But I get some laughs from it. It gives some social insights. I'm about to develop from it.

So, you don't?

BM2106
2 Oct 2008, 03:16 AM
What would you guys say the Matt Damon character (Will) type was? Seems to me he was ESTP or ENTP. Does his freakish intelligence even fit one of those types? I know it's just a movie, but it was something I was thinking about - if there is even such a person with that type and that level of intelligence. You'd think he would be more introverted.

Steak
2 Oct 2008, 06:52 AM
Hes definitely NT. since he applied to MIT as janitor. he surely wanted some intellectual environment be it conscious decision or not + doing the question. Also his obliviousness to other's emotions and over thinking is a good indicator.

he does not fit SJ and SP. and NF goes without saying.

So my guess is either
ENTJ
* accepts non intellectuals
* challanges people (like the psychiatrist, once worthy he opens up)
* gives it all for his love, really dedicated? while his girlfriend is pretty passionate and strong for him. In the end he gives it all up and goes to her. Definitely something ENTJ will do.

not likely INTP for his choice of friends and occupation of janitor. J is more suitable for janitor. Not ENTP, since he can't forget the past still lingering. His wit is good but hes not an awesome speaker in general, nor does he want to engage in any long discussion or talk.
Not INTJ for lack of intellectual stimulation, and doesnt really strive for perfection. Rather hes happy as he is. not something intp/intj/entp will be happy about. As according to survery done by discoveryourpersonality, only ENTJ holds the title to satisfaction in their current work wage/prospective/etc. other 3 are quite disatisifed.

correct me if i got some details on the movie wrong. its been like 4 yrs since i last watched it

carbon cold
2 Oct 2008, 06:53 AM
Yeah, sometimes I wonder. But I get some laughs from it. It gives some social insights. I'm about to develop from it.

So, you don't?

.... No. :mellow: Never.

I watch Cops for social insights.

BM2106
2 Oct 2008, 07:11 AM
Hes definitely NT. since he applied to MIT as janitor. he surely wanted some intellectual environment be it conscious decision or not + doing the question. Also his obliviousness to other's emotions and over thinking is a good indicator.

he does not fit SJ and SP. and NF goes without saying.

So my guess is either
ENTJ
* accepts non intellectuals
* challanges people (like the psychiatrist, once worthy he opens up)
* gives it all for his love, really dedicated? while his girlfriend is pretty passionate and strong for him. In the end he gives it all up and goes to her. Definitely something ENTJ will do.

not likely INTP for his choice of friends and occupation of janitor. J is more suitable for janitor. Not ENTP, since he can't forget the past still lingering. His wit is good but hes not an awesome speaker in general, nor does he want to engage in any long discussion or talk.
Not INTJ for lack of intellectual stimulation, and doesnt really strive for perfection. Rather hes happy as he is. not something intp/intj/entp will be happy about. As according to survery done by discoveryourpersonality, only ENTJ holds the title to satisfaction in their current work wage/prospective/etc. other 3 are quite disatisifed.

correct me if i got some details on the movie wrong. its been like 4 yrs since i last watched it

He just seems so much more extroverted...really confident talking to anyone, showing them up, etc, etc. Like he could talk all day if he wanted to. He didn't because he got bored, but he was fine talking to people.

outmywindow
2 Oct 2008, 07:18 AM
He just seems so much more extroverted...really confident talking to anyone, showing them up, etc, etc. Like he could talk all day if he wanted to. He didn't because he got bored, but he was fine talking to people.
I saw all that chattiness as a way to intentionally control the conversation and deflect it away from things he wasn't comfortable talking about (ie: his childhood, his emotional trauma, etc.). For example the barroom scene which culminates in the famous "How d'you like them apples?" line isn't casual, comfortable conversation. Instead, it's a guy doing as much as he can to place himself on the offensive when faced with a person with whom he does not enjoy interacting.

I'm not necessarily arguing that he's an introvert, but simply that his apparent ease in certain social situations was just a carefully crafted facade, and therefore perhaps not true extroversion.

Llewellyn
2 Oct 2008, 07:44 AM
.... No. :mellow: Never.

I watch Cops for social insights.

Actually you made me realize something, I was already a while planning to move on and not watch Friends that often, or not at all anymore. It felt liberating and I just put on the classical radio station, having my hands free. It's strange how I can be doing exactly what I want and yet still go on too long with things.... I'm not wanting to be too serious here though.

Curtis24
2 Oct 2008, 11:18 AM
What about Donnie in the movie Donnie Darko?
Leon in the movie The professional:Leon?
Andy Dufresne in the shawshank redemption?
Jim cary in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?
Lester Burnham in american beaty?
doc in Back to the Future?
Indiana jones?
Gandalf in lotr?

1) The Donnie one seems to fit INTP pretty well.

2) Andy Dufresne struck me as an INTJ. He carefully masterminded several different plans over several decades, which kinda seems more J, dontcha think? Plus, the book describes him as being neat and pedantic and tightly controlled in his interactions with others, which seem J characteristics. Plus he was a highly successful banker.

3) Jim Cary from Truman's Show: Seems like INFP or ENFP. Kooky and whacky but highly emotional and a 'dreamer' - he obsessed over that one girl and getting off the island for most of his life.

4) Lester Burnham is a tough one. I'm gonna say a repressed ENFJ. He definitely seemed like more of a natural extrovert, I doubt he was P since he was able to tow the line and repress himself for so many years, and his whole crusade to add meaning to his life by pursuing an adolescent girl definitely seems like the crazy thing only an NF could come up with. Actually, he probably would have tested as ENFP after he had his breakdown. then again he was definitely 'goal-oriented'.

5) Doc from Back to the Future: This one's pretty easy: ENTP.

6) Indiana Jones: This one's tough as well. I wanna say ENFP, cause I tend to think Ns are more heroic(my N bias, which you're all aware by now); I'm sure some of you may think ISTP, but that honestly seems too far a stretch. One of the jokes of the series was that he was warm and shy when not going on huge adventures. Course the F doesn't fit in his interactions with the ladies.. Blah, I really don't know this one. ENFP, ENTP, ESTP, take your guess.

7) Gandalf: ENTP or ENTJ. An easy one me thinks.

Anyway, give your thoughts on my thoughts.

Deedly
9 Oct 2008, 06:44 PM
Suzumiya Haruhi - ENTP
Kyon - INTJ
Yuki - INTP
Mikuru - ESFP (possibly ISFP)
Koizumi - ENxJ, more T than F, I think
Ryoko Asakura - ESTJ
Kyon's Sister - ESFJ
The Computer Research Society President - INFJ
Tsuruya - ESFP
*snicker*

I'm going to have to call Haruhi an INTP, every INTP I've known has had essentially the same inner conflict of childlike wonder VS logic and reason that she has (though often about different topics). She is most certainly an introvert, she just seems like an extrovert when something she believes is encroached upon or when something she is currently planning/obsessed with is starting. I know several INTPs (including myself) and every one of them looks like an extrovert when they actually try to get something done. The extreme enthusiasm/boredom/enthusiasm/boredom cycle inherent in her club activities is a very strong INTP trait. An ENTP is capable of completing plans, Haruhi is not, she relies entirely on Kyon for follow-through and Koizumi for delegation of tasks that she doesn't find interesting.

Tsuruya always struck me as an ENFP, she isn't really physically coordinated (though not for lack of enthusiasm in attempting physical activities) and a sense of humor that I've personally found to be characteristic of xNxP types.

Yuki starts the series off as an INTJ and slowly trends toward INTP, though I don't think she ever quite makes it (at least not as far as I've read into the books). Yuki's slow realization of her human traits is probably my favorite thing about her character.

Mikuru is a hard character to judge and can only really be judged by her actions around Kyon alone. Haruhi scares the hell out of her and it shows a lot, this is why you can see a complete flip in her personality when Haruhi isn't there. She seems to have strong NF traits, but the others could go either way, its not easy to tell due to her circumstances.

I have to disagree completely with your analysis of Kyon, hes an ISTP with strong ISFP tendencies. Putting Kyon as an N type would be ignoring the style of his narration completely, the way he describes things and the things he pays attention to are very S qualities. Also during his narration he tends to ramble on and on and on about different possibilities relating to the situation at hand. He has such a hard time arriving at a single decision that I doubt he has a % of J in him.

I've gone over a lot of fictional works for their types (its a very interesting thing to think about), and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of the few where all of the characters are fairly complete people (though some of the characters aren't shown enough to really get a full analysis).

ObtainGnosis
9 Oct 2008, 07:17 PM
1) The Donnie one seems to fit INTP pretty well.

2) Andy Dufresne struck me as an INTJ. He carefully masterminded several different plans over several decades, which kinda seems more J, dontcha think? Plus, the book describes him as being neat and pedantic and tightly controlled in his interactions with others, which seem J characteristics. Plus he was a highly successful banker.

3) Jim Cary from Truman's Show: Seems like INFP or ENFP. Kooky and whacky but highly emotional and a 'dreamer' - he obsessed over that one girl and getting off the island for most of his life.

4) Lester Burnham is a tough one. I'm gonna say a repressed ENFJ. He definitely seemed like more of a natural extrovert, I doubt he was P since he was able to tow the line and repress himself for so many years, and his whole crusade to add meaning to his life by pursuing an adolescent girl definitely seems like the crazy thing only an NF could come up with. Actually, he probably would have tested as ENFP after he had his breakdown. then again he was definitely 'goal-oriented'.

5) Doc from Back to the Future: This one's pretty easy: ENTP.

6) Indiana Jones: This one's tough as well. I wanna say ENFP, cause I tend to think Ns are more heroic(my N bias, which you're all aware by now); I'm sure some of you may think ISTP, but that honestly seems too far a stretch. One of the jokes of the series was that he was warm and shy when not going on huge adventures. Course the F doesn't fit in his interactions with the ladies.. Blah, I really don't know this one. ENFP, ENTP, ESTP, take your guess.

7) Gandalf: ENTP or ENTJ. An easy one me thinks.

Anyway, give your thoughts on my thoughts.

Totally agree about Darko. What a great fucking movie...I identified with that character so much when I was a teenager.

Curtis24
10 Oct 2008, 01:27 AM
Yeah, so did I, and I'm INFJ! But I think the character himself really was a quintessential INTP - definitely a loner, has scary voices in his head, not afraid of conflict, and a slacker.

elijahlucian
28 Oct 2008, 06:47 AM
sylar is an intp

Adymus
9 Nov 2008, 11:40 PM
perhaps because it is more difficult to create interesting drama based on internal conflicts and most of ours (at least mine) are just that? or maybe like stopharian said, less INTPs, less INTPs to relate to, less INTPs to write books (if we could manage to finish them).

The only ones I can think of are Eight Days a Week, and 100 Girls. Both are Romantic Comedies written and directed by Michael Davis featuring Male INTP lead roles.

Adymus
9 Nov 2008, 11:41 PM
sylar is an intp

What? No way, ENTJ to the core.

Not sure if anyone else has done it so I'll just go right ahead and...

Peter Patrelli - INFJ
Nathan Patrelli - ESTJ
Angela Petrelli - INTJ
Hiro Nakamura - INFP
Noah Bennet - ENFJ
Clair Bennet - ISFP
Matt Parkman - ISFP
Mohinder Suresh - ENTP
Sylar - ENTJ
Elle Bishop - ESFP
Adam Monroe - ENTP
Micah Sanders - INTP
Niki Sanders - ESFJ
Jessica Sanders - ESFP
Isaac Mendez - INFJ
D.L. Hawkins - ISTP

Baltar
10 Nov 2008, 12:03 AM
Jigsaw(John Kramer)-totally INTJ. Only an INTJ could rig up all those traps and time to come together in the way he did-especially in Saw 3 and 4.

Adymus
10 Nov 2008, 12:09 AM
And now for one of my new favorite films: Cube

Quentin - ESTJ
Holloway - ENFJ
Leaven - ISFP
Worth - INTP
Rennes - ISTP
Kazan - ????

b3yondyourself
10 Nov 2008, 04:40 AM
In the movie "Brick" I think the main character Brendan is an INTP. Its one of my favorite movies because I identified with the main character so well.

Kirai
7 Jan 2009, 10:36 AM
Villains/Anti-heroes/Antagonists from anime sorted by type:

ESTJ

Popo (Kaiba)
Grace (Macross F)
Aoshi (Rurouni Kenshin)
Seto (Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Mosters)
Sevotharte (Angel Sanctuary)
Suzaku (Code Geass)

ISTJ

Itachi (Naruto)
Enma Ai (Jigoku Shoujo)
Saitou (Rurouni Kenshin)
Eyes (Spiral)
Keith Anyan (Terra e...)
Sesshoumarou (Inuyasha)
Kakuzu (Naruto)
Byakuya (Bleach)
Ulquiorra (Bleach)

ENTJ

Light (Death Note)
Ribbons (Gundam 00)
Griffith (Berserk)
Lucifer (Angel Sanctuary)
Krad (DNAngel)
Seimei (Loveless) don't know his motive either, might be an enfj
Eipos (Mnemosyne)
Kanone (Spiral)
Hidan (Naruto)
Aizen (Bleach)
Schneizel (Code Geass)

INTJ

Orochimaru (Naruto)
Oberstein (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)
Satoshi (DNAngel)
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
Akio (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sa Sakujun (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
Seishirou (X)
Isaak (Escaflowne)
Fei Wang Reed (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles)
Muraki (Yami no Matsuei)
Naraku (Inuyasha)
Sandalphon (Angel Sanctuary)

ESFJ

Diva (Blood+)
Rosiel (Angel Sanctuary)
Takako (Pretear)
Kuran Ridou (Vampire Knight)
Marik (Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters)
Karasu (Yuu Yuu Hakusho)
Kagura (Inuyasha)

ISFJ

Jeanne (Shaman King)
Sasuke (Naruto)
Nataku (X)
Itsuki (Yuu Yuu Hakusho)

ENFJ

Hao (Shaman King)
Takasugi (Gintama)
Johan (Monster)
Bonten (Amatsuki)
Kuroro (Hunter x Hunter)
Akram (Harukanaru toki no naka) maybe, not sure, maybe entj - what was his motive again?
Durandall (Gundam SEED DESTINY)
Kanoe (X)
Sensui (Yuu Yuu Hakusho)
The Emperor (Code Geass)

INFJ

Sararegi (Kyou Kara Maou)
Solomon (Blood+)
Folken (Escaflowne)
Noein (Noein)
Hervé (Red Garden)
Mansairaku (Otogi Zoushi)

ESTP

Deidara (Naruto)
Ladd (Baccano!)
Envy (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Hani (Shion no Ou)
Fuuma (X)
Bakura (Thief) (Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters)

ISTP

Greed (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Sasori (Naruto)
Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter)
Toguro (Yuu Yuu Hakusho)
Gin (Bleach)

ENTP

Xellos (Slayers)
Drosselmeyer (Princess Tutu)

INTP

God (Angel Sanctuary)
L (Death Note)

ESFP

Nena (Gundam 00)
Astarte (Angel Sanctuary)

ISFP

Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist)
The Count (Gankutsuou)
Amanuma (Himitsu - The Revelation)
Hamdo (Now and Then, Here and There)

ENFP

Misa (Death Note)
Ali (Gundam 00)

INFP

maybe Folken (Escaflowne)

anthonydean
13 Feb 2009, 12:30 AM
Do you think Jack Sparrow could be a slightly eccentric INTP

dennis44x
13 Feb 2009, 10:41 PM
^I think Jack Sparrow seems most like an ENTP.

Anyway I think it's very hard to determine fictional people because they aren't real. It's like they give you a few clues of some preference and then they give you a total opposite clue. Although there are some character who get quite clear.

Eliot
13 Feb 2009, 10:53 PM
Eh, Roark would be an INTJ. He's got more drive than I could imagine a P having, especially after being shot down and limiting himself to one area of expertise. If he were an INTP, he could be more scattered and not fixate himself on one area.

Dominique an NF? Me thinks NT. Being in an NF in love with Roark and enduring all those years would probably kill her. She's very clear-cut T in her motives and how she acts them out. If she were an NF, I think she wouldn't bother to try to squash him, but go down with his ship. She doesn't have that soft edge I see several INFs having, even in appearance.

According to David Keirsey, who knows this stuff inside and out, Roark is an INTP. It's no coincidence that INTPs are called the "Architect" type. I agree on Dominique though, no way she's an NF.

http://www.theintrovertzcoach.com/introverted_aliens.html

anthonydean
13 Feb 2009, 10:55 PM
^I think Jack Sparrow seems most like an ENTP.

Anyway I think it's very hard to determine fictional people because they aren't real. It's like they give you a few clues of some preference and then they give you a total opposite clue. Although there are some character who get quite clear.

You could be right but I thought he was an INTP because generally he tends to work things out by himself and never tells anyone of his intentions. I agree that fictional characters are difficult to give a type especially in films I think that its a bit easier in books.

Eliot
13 Feb 2009, 10:56 PM
Sorry I'm late on this but I was interested that u guys think of the joker as an eNTP or an iNTj simply because of the way he plans ahead...
I think he has purely used his past experiences (strong Si) to predict what people are going to do, the Si and not Se is portrayed well by the conclusion of the boat scene...
He is definitely a thinker, but he is very hands on and he doesnt get very elaborate in his schemes ("I am a man of simple means")
All he beleives in is creating his own system (all be it a system of choas)

I believe his thinking to be about things not ideas so Te (but who can really tell)

He dresses up always (not very intp)

I beleive he is an iStJ, but his values are 'everyone is evil, without BatMan people will ignore me' probably because he was abused somehow early on in life
and if his thinking is intoverted then something of a thrill seeker pushing the limits like an xStP might be the case

What joker are you talking about? The one from the movie or the one from the comics? He's borderline impossible to type, since the whole point of the character is that he's just pure chaos, but if I had to take a random shot in the dark I'd say INFP.

Eliot
13 Feb 2009, 11:00 PM
Interesting, HoD is one of my favourites. Kurtz might very well be an INTJ, but then again, Marlow may be too. There's quite a bit of Ni in there

Interesting- I always speculated Kurtz as an ENTP (Ni shadow), with Marlow being an INTJ.

anthonydean
13 Feb 2009, 11:00 PM
What joker are you talking about? The one from the movie or the one from the comics? He's borderline impossible to type, since the whole point of the character is that he's just pure chaos, but if I had to take a random shot in the dark I'd say INFP.

I agree that he is a very difficult character to type but I would also go for INFP.
Batman/Bruce Wayne INTJ or ISTJ

Adymus
14 Feb 2009, 01:42 AM
Why do you all think Jack Sparrow is N at all?

I'd go with ESTP

anthonydean
14 Feb 2009, 01:47 AM
Why do you all think Jack Sparrow is N at all?

I'd go with ESTP

Surely an N some of the rubbish he comes out with could never be thought of by an S and he has very intuitive demeanour. What makes you think he's an S?

Adymus
14 Feb 2009, 02:38 AM
Surely an N some of the rubbish he comes out with could never be thought of by an S and he has very intuitive demeanour. What makes you think he's an S?
I think you might be underestimating the creative process of the SP's just a bit.

But I'm going take back the S entirely on his Non-violent methodology, and his disregard for his image.

anthonydean
14 Feb 2009, 03:09 AM
I think you might be underestimating the creative process of the SP's just a bit.

Perhaps a little bit

But I'm going take back the S entirely on his Non-violent methodology, and his disregard for his image.

Thats a good point I didn't think of those reasons, cheers I think the disregard
for his image probably helps my argument that he is Introverted rather than Extroverted if only slightly (iNTP).

Adymus
14 Feb 2009, 03:32 AM
Thats a good point I didn't think of those reasons, cheers I think the disregard
for his image probably helps my argument that he is Introverted rather than Extroverted if only slightly (iNTP).
Yes was actually agreeing with you on that those characteristic would make him more likely to be N. I still think the way he lives his life and trickster persona is similar to that of the ESTP, but it's not like an INTP or ENTP couldn't live up to that persona as well.

anthonydean
15 Feb 2009, 01:28 AM

Strikes me more as an ENTP as he is quite loud most of the time. Though so could an enthusiastic INTP when discussing their ideas.

Indiana jones?

Probably right seems enough like an INTP.

Gandalf in lotr?

In the films seems more like an INTJ or ENTJ but in the books he is more like an INTP.

Sorry i'm late answering these.

AbsotivelyNothingful
15 Feb 2009, 05:44 AM
Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment seems like an INTP.

fduniho
15 Feb 2009, 06:11 PM
Spiderman ain't INTP. He's way too Fi over Ti, I think he's INFP.

At least in the films. Just watch Spiderman 2 with all the emphasis on Peter Parkers responsibility in fighting evil, with the longing for something more in his relationship with MJ. Totally Fi stuff.

I was reading some Ultimate Spider-Man graphic novels yesterday, and Spider-Man, at least as portrayed in what I was reading, could be an INTP. First, even before getting to the portrayal of Ultimate Spider-Man, I think Spider-Man's motivations for fighting crime reflect Fe. Unlike Batman, a character whose Te gives him a strong dedication to justice, Spider-Man never set out to be a hero. His powers came to him by accident, and he was initially focused on his own self-interest. While a Te type with his powers might try to force his will on the world, whether in the pursuit of justice like Batman or power like Doctor Doom, Peter Parker decided to make some quick cash using his powers in the wrestling ring. After he won, he was denied the money he had won and felt angry and bitter over this. When a thief then came by and stole the money, he did nothing about it, saying that it wasn't his problem. As an INTP, I can understand how he was feeling at that moment and why he didn't stop the thief. When he learned that that same thief had subsequently killed his uncle, he then felt a sense of responsibility for what had happened and began to use his powers to help people. He realized that he had the power to save lives, and his Fe began to pull him into situations he would just as soon avoid but didn't because he had the power to make a difference.

***SPOILER ALERT***
In what follows, I will be discussing events that have happened to the Spider-Man of Earth-1610 in the pages of Ultimate Spider-Man. This Spider-Man, who is still a teenaged boy, is not the more familiar Spider-Man of Earth-616.
***End Spoiler Alert***

In one of the graphic novels I was reading, Carnage kills Peter's friend and house guest Gwen Stacy. Unlike the Earth-616 Carnage, this one is the result of genetic experiments conducted on Peter's DNA by Curt Conners. Peter is really upset by this and blames Conners for killing Gwen, but he also feels some responsibility for her death, because he had given Conners permission to run tests on his DNA. He yells at Conners, but he stops short of hitting him, because he knows that wouldn't solve anything. After this, he starts getting really worried that his girlfriend Mary Jane Watson will get killed too. But he has a hard time communicating his feelings to her. He sometimes broods silently without talking to her, and when he does talk to her, he ends up shouting at her that she's going to die. At this point, he seems to be in the control of inferior Fe. His fears and his grief are getting the better of him, and he doesn't know how to handle it. At one point, his anger over Gwen's death gets the better of him, and he almost kills a petty criminal he stops from committing armed robbery. Realizing that this is affecting his ability to fight crime, he decides to give up being Spider-Man. But when he sees a woman being mugged, he feels the conflict between his desire to quit and the feeling that she needs his help, and he ends up covering his face and helping her.

In another graphic novel, which takes place in the wake of Gwen's death, Harry Osborn comes back. Peter tells Mary Jane to stay away from Harry. Actually, he yells at her to stay away from Harry, and when she asks why, he just yells at her to do as he says. This is inferior Fe in control again. Peter knows why he wants Mary Jane to stay away, but his inferior Fe is getting in the way of communicating this. Mary Jane ignores his warnings and talks to Harry, who tells her that Peter killed his father. Mary Jane asks Peter about this, and he gets upset that Mary Jane talked to Harry and that she doesn't trust him enough to know that he didn't kill Harry's father. Finally, Harry turns into the Hobgoblin, a large orange Hulk-like creature similar to the Green Goblin his father had become. Not wanting to hurt his friend, Spider-Man pleads with Harry to calm down, but it is to no avail. When Mary Jane turns up nearby, Spider-Man takes time out to get her to safety, still yelling at her about placing herself in danger. A S.H.I.E.L.D. Hulkbuster squad comes by to stop the Hobgoblin. Spider-Man yells at Harry that they will kill him if he doesn't calm down. He then pleads with the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to not kill the Hobgoblin because he is just a boy. After they stop the Hobgoblin, Peter visits Mary Jane. He yells at her for not listening to him and for placing herself in danger. He says he can't see her anymore. She hugs him, hoping that it will help, but he just pulls away from her.

I bring all of this up, because it seems in line with how INTPs handle emotions. In better circumstances, Spider-Man is normally using his Ne to crack jokes while fighting crime. He then reminds me of myself in extraverted situations, in which I go from being analytical to being witty. With Ne and inferior Fe, Spider-Man seems to me to be an INTP. This would also be in line with Peter originally being a science nerd before getting bitten by the radioactive spider. After his breakup with Mary Jane, he starts dating Kitty Pryde of the X-Men after she takes the initiative to express an interest in him. This relationship seems to be good for him, because Kitty's superpowers keep her safe, so that he doesn't have to worry about her safety.

Needless to say, when a character is portrayed by multiple writers, and when different versions get portrayed in movies, cartoons, and comic books, there is the possibility of him being portrayed as different types. So I have limited my comments here mainly to the Earth-1610 Spider-Man.

alienhated
17 Mar 2009, 02:53 AM
I'm going to have to call Haruhi an INTP, every INTP I've known has had essentially the same inner conflict of childlike wonder VS logic and reason that she has (though often about different topics). She is most certainly an introvert, she just seems like an extrovert when something she believes is encroached upon or when something she is currently planning/obsessed with is starting. I know several INTPs (including myself) and every one of them looks like an extrovert when they actually try to get something done. The extreme enthusiasm/boredom/enthusiasm/boredom cycle inherent in her club activities is a very strong INTP trait. An ENTP is capable of completing plans, Haruhi is not, she relies entirely on Kyon for follow-through and Koizumi for delegation of tasks that she doesn't find interesting.

Tsuruya always struck me as an ENFP, she isn't really physically coordinated (though not for lack of enthusiasm in attempting physical activities) and a sense of humor that I've personally found to be characteristic of xNxP types.

Yuki starts the series off as an INTJ and slowly trends toward INTP, though I don't think she ever quite makes it (at least not as far as I've read into the books). Yuki's slow realization of her human traits is probably my favorite thing about her character.

Mikuru is a hard character to judge and can only really be judged by her actions around Kyon alone. Haruhi scares the hell out of her and it shows a lot, this is why you can see a complete flip in her personality when Haruhi isn't there. She seems to have strong NF traits, but the others could go either way, its not easy to tell due to her circumstances.

I have to disagree completely with your analysis of Kyon, hes an ISTP with strong ISFP tendencies. Putting Kyon as an N type would be ignoring the style of his narration completely, the way he describes things and the things he pays attention to are very S qualities. Also during his narration he tends to ramble on and on and on about different possibilities relating to the situation at hand. He has such a hard time arriving at a single decision that I doubt he has a % of J in him.

I've gone over a lot of fictional works for their types (its a very interesting thing to think about), and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of the few where all of the characters are fairly complete people (though some of the characters aren't shown enough to really get a full analysis).

I agree with you but Haruhi is clearly an ENTP. Lots of ideas, lots of energy, easy manipulation, hates to lose, wanna the world to be as she likes, lots of activities/sports.

Mikuru ENFP I think...

strike up
17 Mar 2009, 06:14 AM
###WARNING, HUGE SPOILER###

Do you think that Tyler Durden in Fight Club (I mean Edward Norton, not Brad Pitt; I also mean from the movie not the book) is an INTP?

Adymus
17 Mar 2009, 07:54 AM
###WARNING, HUGE SPOILER###

Do you think that Tyler Durden in Fight Club (I mean Edward Norton, not Brad Pitt; I also mean from the movie not the book) is an INTP?
Yeah I can see Ed Norton's character being INTP, Brad pit's was ENTP fasho.

Roger Mexico
17 Mar 2009, 09:14 AM
...Spider-Man.

Um, actually this is interesting in that the whole Spider-Man mythos, like the Batman mythos, largely revolves around a theme of dual identities co-existing in a single person. (More on this theme in a second)

Peter Parker is an INFP--the character's core motivation is the desire to experience love and acceptance, from various 'significant others,' but also, and perhaps more importantly, from himself. He assumes the identity of Spider-Man to seek justice for others, but he does this in order to live up to a personal standard that will allow him to be content with the knowledge that he is who he is. In other words, he seeks to be worthy of love in order to love himself.

Also, Spider-Man is the most emo superhero in the history of superheroes, unless I'm forgetting some obscure character who ingeniously uses eyeliner and poetry to mend the broken hearts of misunderstood English majors.

I was actually thinking about superheroes the other day and the thought occurred to me that the basic archetype of the superhero--in the classical, undeconstructed sense--is the fullest possible realization of the ISTJ personality. I was reading something or other about Watchmen, {By the way, I have not read the book nor seen the movie; I plan on at least seeing the movie, but due to my recently acquired parental responsibilities going to a theater is out of the question, so I will have to wait for the video release and thus humbly request that my mention of it here not be taken as an invitation to discuss the particulars of the story.} where the distinction between heroes and villains was raised as a point of interest. The author offered the proposition that the fundamental difference between the two archetypes is that the villain almost universally acts out of a sense that some intrinsic characteristic of reality prior to his or her intervention is flawed and must be corrected through said intervention, whereas the hero must always act only in the interest of securing the pre-existing order against the threat of disruption posed by the villain's intervention; otherwise the latter would fail to fulfill the dramatic role of the hero qua hero.

Hence, it would be unheroic for Peter Parker to utilize his special gifts in a manner which even secondarily served the purpose of enhancing his prestige among those whose love and admiration he seeks. To be a true hero, he must employ his powers only by dissociating their employment from his ego and manifesting an alternative self (an alter-ego) defined by the singular purpose of using these powers to defend the proper order of the world against those who seek to undermine it. Thus, from this perspective, Spider-Man qua Spider-Man is a near-perfectly self-actualized ISTJ--the "man in the breech" shielding order against chaos.

Similarly, Bruce Wayne may be one of several types or none in particular (I think Michael Keaton played him as an xNTP; Christian Bale's Wayne strikes me as more of an SP, a man who is compelled to act even if he doesn't quite comprehend the significance of his actions), but I think the two most recent films do an excellent job of showing how Batman cannot simply be Bruce Wayne in a mask; he must be something else entirely: a principle made manifest through human action.

The entire Batman franchise has always struck me as a veritable goldmine of archetypal melodrama, almost on the order of Greek tragedy, and I liked immensely how the Christian Bale films brought out this element of what is essentially a modern myth. (Note the none-too-subtle reference to Jung by Bob Crane in the first film when he first introduces his 'Scarecrow' persona) Each major character represents an aspect of human consciousness, and the hero must confront and engage them all in order to realize his heroic destiny.

So in the first film, you have Batman, arch-ISTJ, overcoming his alter-ego's emotional vulnerability (fear) while at the same time appropriating and making use of this component of his Feeling shadow-self (there's a great, but idiomatically untranslatable German word, "aufheben" that perfectly describes such a process) to defeat this emotion manifested as an outward obstacle in the person/persona of Bob Crane/Scarecrow (for shits and giggles, let's call Crane an INTP; he is a psychologist, after all). He then must confront Ras Al-Ghul, (who I'm calling an xNTJ) who represents the temptation to reduce all of manifest reality to a set of simple premises and disregard the consequences of one's resulting actions on the complicated humans with which one must share the world, and the institutional edifices they depend on--this is the dark side of Intuition. Ras Al'Ghul is a compelling figure, and his reductionist approach to the 'redemption' of Gotham City is elegant in its simplicity, but Batman must ultimately be the man who can keep this Promethean intuition from reducing the manifest world to entropic chaos.

In the second film, the Joker undeniably represents the absence of any formal, rational constraint on pure experience, tear-assing through the world lighting fires just to "watch the world burn." I could see a case for the Joker being ESFx, but since Batman is basically what every ISTJ wants to be, and everyone familiar with the franchise knows the unique significance of the Joker as the embodiment and affirmation of everything Batman stands against, I think he may in fact be Batman's 'shadow,' his anima--a nightmarish manifestation of the ENFP archetype, well beyond any appeal to reason or hope of constraint by the manifest world on his intuitive knowledge of what will bring him happiness, unleashing pure chaos, purely for the joy of watching it transpire.

And, admit it, most of us know at least one ENFP who would just put the torch to the whole world and cackle with glee at the results if given the opportunity.

Harvey Dent represents deception and duality, and is an ESFP because ESFP's are cold-blooded predatory reptiles disguised as human beings.

Do you think that Tyler Durden in Fight Club is an INTP?

Um, no. Not even close. Textbook INFP.

"I wish my dad loved me.... I wanna kick my dad's ass!"

narsasistickx
18 Mar 2009, 01:14 AM
Quote:

Possibly, however, ENTP could not be ruled out.

I would disagree. . . remember in the first one where Marty knocks on his door and he has the chain fastened, and he peeks out seemingly upset at being disturbed? That seems pretty "I" IMO. :)

I don't know sometimes when I am at work I lock myself out from all people until what I am working for is done then I go out and show off what I have done and bounce my product of people for reactions...unless i know no one to show who will care. :mellow:

I related to Doc as an entp

Adymus
19 Mar 2009, 06:17 AM
Characters of Rome, the HBO series:

Gaius Julius Caesar - ENTJ
Atia of the Julii - ESFJ
Octavia of the Julii - INFJ
Gaius Octavian* - INTJ

Servilia of the Junii - INFJ
Marcus Junius Brutus - INFP

Lucius Vorenus - ISTJ
Titus Pullo - ESTP
Niobe - ISFP

Mark Antony - ESFP
Gnaeus Pompey Magnus - ENTP
Cleopatra - ENFP

*I'm only typing Octavian's character in the first season. In the second season he is played by a different actor who portrays him with a different personality. I'm not going to even bother typing the second season's Octavian because he was totally lame while the first season's was INTJtastic.

msg_v2
19 Mar 2009, 06:43 AM
I normally don't do this, but...

Gaius Baltar..... NTP. Probably, after seeing the flashbacks in the last episode, even INTP.

b9588
19 Mar 2009, 07:11 AM
What? No way, ENTJ to the core.

Not sure if anyone else has done it so I'll just go right ahead and...

Peter Patrelli - INFJ
Nathan Patrelli - ESTJ
Angela Petrelli - INTJ
Hiro Nakamura - INFP
Noah Bennet - ENFJ
Clair Bennet - ISFP
Matt Parkman - ISFP
Mohinder Suresh - ENTP
Sylar - ENTJ
Elle Bishop - ESFP
Adam Monroe - ENTP
Micah Sanders - INTP
Niki Sanders - ESFJ
Jessica Sanders - ESFP
Isaac Mendez - INFJ
D.L. Hawkins - ISTP

Ehhh, not so sure I agree on a few of them.

The way I've seen the series...

Peter Petrelli - ISFJ
Nathan Petrelli - ESTJ
Angela Petrelli - ENTJ
Hiro Nakamura - INFP
Noah Bennet - ENFJ
Claire Bennet - ESFP
Matt Parkman - ISTP
Mohinder Suresh - ENTP
Sylar - INTJ
Claude Rains - INTP
Elle Bishop - ESFP
Adam/Takezo - ENTP
Micah Sanders - INTP
Niki Sanders - ESFJ
Isaac Mendez - INFJ
Ando - ISTJ
Luke - ENTP
Daphne - ESTP

Adymus
19 Mar 2009, 07:42 AM
I stick with my original analysis.

Although there is not that much disagreement.

Sylar is not an introvert in the least bit, to put it as Noah Bennet did, he has a "Silver tongue"

Similarly I am really curious as to why you would see Angela petrelli as an Extrovert?

Clair bennet - Her character is very wounded at the core. Even as a cheerleader she was never really a social butterfly like you would expect a cheerleader to be, she was always was an outsider looking for social gratification.

Matt Parkman - The first thing he did when he discovered his abilities was try to fix his marriage. Even with Daphne he still focuses on building a romantic relationship, despite the fact that he had never met her, the guy is a total romantic; Which is so not what you would see in someone with a Ti primary function. He always wants to do the right thing, but can never really grasp the bigger picture. ISFP, hands down.

Shadowlogical
19 Mar 2009, 07:53 AM
Not aware if anyone already said this but Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen. He's a shinning beacon for all of INTPanity isn't he?

The Unforgiven
19 Mar 2009, 09:52 AM
There is a Whole Thread

quagmire0
19 Mar 2009, 05:24 PM
Gregory House shows some pretty INTP traits. - Intrigued by the newest problem, very bored of the routine tasks they try to make him do, only really socializes with people he's worked a long time with - if at all. Ability to completely distance himself from everyone, yet would bend over backwards to save someone to solve the problem. Doesn't like management, but loves loyalty.

Ivy
19 Mar 2009, 05:29 PM
Gregory House shows some pretty INTP traits. - Intrigued by the newest problem, very bored of the routine tasks they try to make him do, only really socializes with people he's worked a long time with - if at all. Ability to completely distance himself from everyone, yet would bend over backwards to save someone to solve the problem. Doesn't like management, but loves loyalty.

Needs audience, bounces ideas off of strangers if he can't get ahold of his team. ENTP

DennisThePenetrator
19 Mar 2009, 09:03 PM
Needs audience, bounces ideas off of strangers if he can't get ahold of his team. ENTP

House is clearly introverted.

Ivy
19 Mar 2009, 09:09 PM
Nope. Misanthrope =/ introvert.

b9588
20 Mar 2009, 03:43 AM
Nope. Misanthrope =/ introvert.

Yes, being a misanthrope does not automatically mean you're introverted; there's no causation there, but there sure as hell is a correlation, yeah?

I'd have to agree with others on this. House is an introvert. This has been obvious from the beginning; I've never seen it any other way.

The most hotly debated thing in regards to House is whether he's a P or a J, namely an INTP or an INTJ.

EmmaPeel
20 Mar 2009, 04:58 AM
Yes, being a misanthrope does not automatically mean you're introverted; there's no causation there, but there sure as hell is a correlation, yeah?

I'd have to agree with others on this. House is an introvert. This has been obvious from the beginning; I've never seen it any other way.

The most hotly debated thing in regards to House is whether he's a P or a J, namely an INTP or an INTJ.

He's obviously a P. A J would shave his face.

Ivy
20 Mar 2009, 05:36 AM

Not IMO. That correlation seems to come from thinking of introversion and extroversion in solely social terms. I would say misanthropy is more linked to T than I.

Ghost-Girl
20 Mar 2009, 11:21 PM
Since he's in my avatar:

Rimmer - INTJ
and Lister... maybe ENFP?

MacGuffin
21 Mar 2009, 04:46 AM
House is an extravert.

fduniho
22 Mar 2009, 01:34 AM
Gaius Baltar..... NTP. Probably, after seeing the flashbacks in the last episode, even INTP.

There was something in his emotional responses to his father that reminded me of myself and could be inferior Fe, but I really don't see Gaius Baltar as an INTP. He is too power-hungry and image-conscious for me to think he is an INTP. He comes across as a mastermind more than a theorist or architect. Instead of trying to understand the world better, as INTPs do, he is more concerned with his place in the world. Early in the series, he had a reputation for being a genius, but when asked to make a Cylon detector, he just faked it. He later positioned himself to become President. After that didn't work out, he hung out with Cylons and obsessed over whether he was a Cylon himself. When he returned to Galactica, he suddenly changed his persona from scientist to charismatic demagogue, focusing on the use of rhetoric rather than INTP-like discussion of ideas. I think INTJ and ENTJ are both more likely than INTP. Most INTPs are type Five on the Enneagram, but Baltar's Enneagram type is clearly Three. He is willing to say just about anything, even stuff he doesn't believe, to manipulate people and secure his position in the world. INTPs care about truth much more than Baltar does.

Adymus
22 Mar 2009, 02:07 AM
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Shinji Ikari - ISFP
Asuka Langley Soryu - ESFP
Rei Ayanami - ISTJ, INTJ? Not a lot of room for analysis with this one.
Toji Suzuhara - ESTJ

Gendo Ikari - INTJ
Misato - ENFP
Kaji - ENTP
Ritsuko Akagi - ENTJ

anthonydean
22 Mar 2009, 03:58 AM
Has anyone ever seen the series Wire in the Blood? The main character Dr Tony Hill seems very much like an INTP.

outmywindow
22 Mar 2009, 04:31 AM
Has anyone ever seen the series Wire in the Blood? The main character Dr Tony Hill seems very much like an INTP.
I completely agree, and am a huge fan of the show.

And no, I totally don't have a fan crush on Tony Hill. :whistle:

The Unforgiven
22 Mar 2009, 03:15 PM

Fuckin' YES! I love that show!

(Robson Green supports Newcastle Utd too so.....Yes)

why?
12 Apr 2009, 08:13 AM
He is INTP.

There was something in his emotional responses to his father that reminded me of myself and could be inferior Fe, but I really don't see Gaius Baltar as an INTP. He is too power-hungry and image-conscious for me to think he is an INTP. He comes across as a mastermind more than a theorist or architect. Instead of trying to understand the world better, as INTPs do, he is more concerned with his place in the world. Early in the series, he had a reputation for being a genius, but when asked to make a Cylon detector, he just faked it. He later positioned himself to become President. After that didn't work out, he hung out with Cylons and obsessed over whether he was a Cylon himself. When he returned to Galactica, he suddenly changed his persona from scientist to charismatic demagogue, focusing on the use of rhetoric rather than INTP-like discussion of ideas. I think INTJ and ENTJ are both more likely than INTP. Most INTPs are type Five on the Enneagram, but Baltar's Enneagram type is clearly Three. He is willing to say just about anything, even stuff he doesn't believe, to manipulate people and secure his position in the world. INTPs care about truth much more than Baltar does.

ciphersort
12 Apr 2009, 08:33 AM
De Niro as Sam in Ronin? I love that movie and would love to hear your thoughts on what type the character was... istp... intj... intp... entj?

Fingers
12 Apr 2009, 09:02 AM
De Niro as Sam in Ronin? I love that movie and would love to hear your thoughts on what type the character was... istp... intj... intp... entj?

What was in the box!

INTJ I think.

ciphersort
14 Apr 2009, 04:22 PM
I agree. Did anyone ever find out? ;)

kali
20 Apr 2009, 02:53 AM
Wondering what type Hamlet is.

bass_n_treble
20 Apr 2009, 03:51 AM
I wonder if anyone watches this show still... but I think it has a really interesting ensemble cast...

Scrubs

J.D. - ENFJ
Elliot Reid- ISFJ
Chris Turk- ESFP
Carla Espinosa- ISTJ
Perry Cox- ENTJ
Bob Kelso- ESTJ
Janitor- (this was a difficult one. Why? Because...) he's an INTP!
"The Todd"- ESTP
Ted, the lawyer- ISFP (only really apparent after barber shop quartet)
Jordan- ISTP

Tangerine
20 Apr 2009, 04:10 AM
I wonder if anyone watches this show still... but I think it has a really interesting ensemble cast...

Scrubs

J.D. - ENFJ
Elliot Reid- ISFJ
Chris Turk- ESFP
Carla Espinosa- ISTJ
Perry Cox- ENTJ
Bob Kelso- ESTJ
Janitor- (this was a difficult one. Why? Because...) he's an INTP!
"The Todd"- ESTP
Ted, the lawyer- ISFP (only really apparent after barber shop quartet)
Jordan- ISTP

I always saw it like this.

J.D. - INFP or ENFP (switches around)
Elliot Reid - ISFJ
Chris Turk - ESTP (occasionally acts like a J)
Carla Espinosa - ESFJ
Perry Cox - INTP (but a really buff one)
Bob Kelso - ESTJ
Janitor - INTP (he seems ISTP at first, but notice how he makes lot's of sweet inventions such as the Knife Wrench and Pen Straw)
Todd - ESTP
Ted - ISFP (so submissive)
Jordan - ISTP (sometimes acts like an ESTJ)

bass_n_treble
20 Apr 2009, 04:12 AM
A few super-heroes
Superman- ENFJ
Batman- INTJ
Iron Man- ENTP
Wolverine- ISTP
Spider Man- INTP

Star Trek TNG (for some reason I think people will have opinions on this one, it's a fun one to think about)

Jean-Luc Picard- INTJ
William Riker- ESTP
Geordi LaForge- ESFJ
Commander Worf- ISTJ
Beverly Crusher- ISFJ
Deanna Troi- INFJ
Data- INTP
Wesley Crusher- INFP

bass_n_treble
20 Apr 2009, 04:18 AM
I always saw it like this.

J.D. - INFP or ENFP (switches around)
Elliot Reid - ISFJ
Chris Turk - ESTP (occasionally acts like a J)
Carla Espinosa - ESFJ
Perry Cox - INTP (but a really buff one)
Bob Kelso - ESTJ
Janitor - INTP (he seems ISTP at first, but notice how he makes lot's of sweet inventions such as the Knife Wrench and Pen Straw)
Todd - ESTP
Ted - ISFP (so submissive)
Jordan - ISTP (sometimes acts like an ESTJ)

I can see Carla being an extrovert in personality, but she is always in a small group of people she can get along with. On the other hand, she's the biggest gossip in the hospital.

On second thought, I think Cox is an INTJ rather than an ENTJ. I have an INTJ friend who is exactly like him... it's hilarious. He's always playing practical jokes on people. He is definitely J... he's a workhorse.

Tangerine
20 Apr 2009, 04:19 AM
No More Heroes

Travis Touchdown - INTP (maybe an ISTP)
Sylvia - ESTP
Henry - ENTP

Death Metal - INFP
Dr. Peace - ESTP
Shinobu - ISTP
Destroy Man - INTJ
Holly Summers - INFP
Letz Shake - ENTP
Harvey Moiseiwitsch Volodarskii - ENFP
Speed Buster - ISFJ
Bad Girl - INTP
Dark Star - ISTJ

anthonydean
20 Apr 2009, 11:52 PM
INTP Super-heroes

Spiderman
Mr Fantastic
Bruce Banner (Hulk)
V (V for Vendetta)
Beast (X-Men)

bass_n_treble
21 Apr 2009, 01:37 AM
Napoleon Dynamite- INTP
Ferris Bueller- ESFP

The Breakfast Club
Brian Johnson - INTP (forced into acting like an ES)
Andy Clark - ESFJ (forced into acting like a T)
Allison Reynolds - ISFP
Claire Standish - INFJ (forced into acting like an E)
John Bender - ISTP
Principal Dick Vernon - ISTJ

Dawn Run
21 Apr 2009, 01:40 AM
napoleon an intp??

bass_n_treble
21 Apr 2009, 01:45 AM
Yup.

You can see it in his refusal to integrate into the system throughout the whole movie. He's the observer, looking in. But he's happy with it, it's other people that suck and need to change, not him.

A common INTP complaint, yes?

Dawn Run
21 Apr 2009, 01:47 AM
Richard Sharpe - The Sharpe series, Bernard cornwell

INTJ

Pantycrickets
21 Apr 2009, 01:48 AM
What type is Jesus?

Dawn Run
21 Apr 2009, 01:48 AM
Yup.

You can see it in his refusal to integrate into the system throughout the whole movie. He's the observer, looking in. But he's happy with it, it's other people that suck and need to change, not him.

A common INTP complaint, yes?

Oh, i dont know, i never watched any movies about him.

bass_n_treble
21 Apr 2009, 01:55 AM
Oh, i dont know, i never watched any movies about him.

Ahh, well it's a bit weird. Absurdist humor.

It actually wasn't funny the first time I saw it. And then it clicked the second time. It's one of those.

If you do manage to ever see it, keep in mind it's not supposed to be some kind of masterpiece. But it was pretty influential to this decade's humor style with the young folk.

Demetri Martin, for example, uses this cutesy kind of ironic nerd humor with an 80s fashion spin on everything. Totally from Napoleon Dynamite and VH1 "I Love the 80s" commentary (Michael Ian Black is probably a good contribution to this type of humor as well).

Dawn Run
21 Apr 2009, 02:02 AM
Ahh, well it's a bit weird. Absurdist humor.

It actually wasn't funny the first time I saw it. And then it clicked the second time. It's one of those.

If you do manage to ever see it, keep in mind it's not supposed to be some kind of masterpiece. But it was pretty influential to this decade's humor style with the young folk.

Demetri Martin, for example, uses this cutesy kind of ironic nerd humor with an 80s fashion spin on everything. Totally from Napoleon Dynamite and VH1 "I Love the 80s" commentary (Michael Ian Black is probably a good contribution to this type of humor as well).

Oh, christ, i swear i didnt see that dynamite there when i first read it. I was assuming this was napoleon bonaparte, my bad!

:stupid:

bass_n_treble
21 Apr 2009, 02:07 AM
Oh, christ, i swear i didnt see that dynamite there when i first read it. I was assuming this was napoleon bonaparte, my bad!

:stupid:

hahaha...

fduniho
1 May 2009, 04:13 AM
I have begun to rewatch Starhunter (http://www.joost.com/0450058/t/Starhunter) on joost.com, and I think Percy, who is the ship's engineer and the captain's niece, is probably an INTP. Starhunter is a sci-fi show I originally caught on PAX TV about a bounty hunter who flies a space ship around the solar system. It was the only good show I ever saw on that network.

Technical
1 May 2009, 04:50 AM

What was in the box!

INTJ I think.

I agree. Did anyone ever find out? ;)
That's called a MacGuffin. A pure plot device.

ciphersort
1 May 2009, 06:49 AM
That's called a MacGuffin. A pure plot device.

Oh yeah... so what about the case in Pulp Fiction?

:)

anthonydean
11 May 2009, 01:12 AM
Has anybody seen the film State of Play, the main character Cal McCaffery seems like an INTP.

Technical
11 May 2009, 01:22 AM
Oh yeah... so what about the case in Pulp Fiction?

:)
I'm late. Well, there are theories about that, such as that it contains Marsellus Wallace's soul, but they remain theories.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/pulp.asp

Baltar
11 May 2009, 01:36 AM
I am having trouble with Cruise and Kidman's characters(Bill and Alice) in Eyes Wide Shut. ESTP, XXFJ?

Technical
11 May 2009, 01:39 AM
I am having trouble with Cruise and Kidman's characters(Bill and Alice) in Eyes Wide Shut. ESTP, XXFJ?
I think Alice could've been INFP. Bill...ISTJ comes to mind. I haven't thought about it before.

YHWH
11 May 2009, 01:49 AM
ISTP, or an ISTJ getting acquainted with his P side ?

Technical
11 May 2009, 01:51 AM
ISTP, or an ISTJ getting acquainted with his P side ?
Between ISTP and ISTJ, he'd doubtlessly be ISTJ. He's a by the book guy, and pretty clueless when out of his element.

anthonydean
19 May 2009, 01:34 AM
I have noticed that there aren't many suggestions for INTP Star Wars characters, so how about Qui-Gon Jinn from the Phantom Menace.

Technical
19 May 2009, 01:52 AM
I have noticed that there aren't many suggestions for INTP Star Wars characters, so how about Qui-Gon Jinn from the Phantom Menace.
How about not.

anthonydean
19 May 2009, 02:00 AM
How about not.

Why?

Technical
19 May 2009, 02:01 AM
Why?
Because he's a wussy old INFJ.

Hermione
19 May 2009, 02:01 AM
Has anybody seen the film State of Play, the main character Cal McCaffery seems like an INTP.

Yes. I think so too maybe. Good film.

anthonydean
19 May 2009, 02:06 AM
Because he's a wussy old INFJ.

He certainly isn't an F and seems more like a P as he does a lot of things out of impulse for example the pod racing situation

Technical
19 May 2009, 02:06 AM
He certainly isn't an F and seems more like a P as he does a lot of things out of impulse for example the pod racing situation
You're right, it's always the INTPs placing bets on pod racing.

anthonydean
19 May 2009, 02:09 AM

It was never a bet he was going to loose.

Technical
19 May 2009, 02:11 AM
I know that. List of old, wussy INFJs: Roger Ebert, Noam Chomsky, Qui-Gon Jinn. You can't argue with a list.

anthonydean
19 May 2009, 02:13 AM
I know that. List of old, wussy INFJs: Roger Ebert, Noam Chomsky, Qui-Gon Jinn. You can't argue with a list.

I agree however it also impossible to argue with a fruit cake.

Technical
19 May 2009, 02:14 AM
Pie beats fruitcake. And so does a big-ass knife.

anthonydean
19 May 2009, 02:20 AM
Pie beats fruitcake. And so does a big-ass knife.

I agree again everything beats a fruitcake even a fruit and a cake and Qui-Gon Jinn.

Technical
19 May 2009, 02:21 AM
I agree again everything beats a fruitcake even a fruit and a cake and Qui-Gon Jinn.
I'm glad we could find common ground.

Randall
19 May 2009, 03:15 AM

Absolutely right. Only ESFJs bet incorrectly on pod racing.

20 May 2009, 04:26 AM
vincent in pulp fiction?

Technical
20 May 2009, 05:25 AM
vincent in pulp fiction?

Definitely SP, probably T, probably E. So, if I were to wager, ESTP.

Triponic
20 May 2009, 07:31 AM
Mmm, what would Amelie be from 'Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain'?...my fav movie =p

Technical
20 May 2009, 07:32 AM
Mmm, what would Amelie be from 'Le fabuleux destin d'Amlie Poulain'?...my fav movie =p

Biggest I and F ever, probably INFP. She's kind of a cartoon tho.

Schrodinger's Cat
20 May 2009, 07:38 AM
I imagine that Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment is probably an INTP...

Technical
20 May 2009, 07:41 AM

Or do you not imagine it? We'll just have to take you out of that box to find out! *shakes it around first*

Chloe
20 May 2009, 09:35 AM
what type is female lead role (penelope cruise) from Vanilla Sky??

Technical
20 May 2009, 09:57 AM
what type is female lead role (penelope cruise) from Vanilla Sky??

I probably wouldn't disagree with you about ENFP, but I'm not certain.

Schrodinger's Cat
20 May 2009, 11:42 AM
Or do you not imagine it? We'll just have to take you out of that box to find out! *shakes it around first*

I imagine/not imagine that Raskolnikov is/is not an INTP character wave function.

bass_n_treble
26 May 2009, 02:23 PM
I just noticed Max Fischer from Rushmore is a solid INTP.

Chloe
26 May 2009, 04:33 PM
If somebody knows; that movie "guitar" (with woman dying from throat cancer and then she buys guitar blabla) -whats her type?

TheNilesEdge
4 Jun 2009, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't have a clue where to start since I'm not very knowledgeable in that area, but I'm curious to know how you'd all peg some of the cast and crew. Don't just assign each of them a type without some explanation, please. :happpy: Should be interesting if you're a big fan of the movie ...

http://www.pg.ru/train/gif/logo_front.jpg

Danny Boyle (Director) -

Renton -

Spud -

Sick Boy -

Tommy -

Begbie -

Diane -

Allison -

Lizzy -

Gail -

Technical
4 Jun 2009, 06:50 AM
Spud: INFP
Renton: INTP
Sick Boy: ENTJ
Diane: ESTP
Begbie: ESTP
Tommy: Dunno, dunno... ISFP, ISFJ maybe.

^I wrote the above previously...Most of it.

outmywindow
4 Jun 2009, 06:56 AM
MERGED.

TheNilesEdge
4 Jun 2009, 06:59 AM
That works.

Kirai
4 Jun 2009, 07:34 AM
Why do people think House could be an INTJ? I don't get it.

Ferox Seneca
4 Jun 2009, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I thought so too.
- Abstract loner with a deep sense of intellectual detachment.
- Very imaginative and theoretical, but finds follow-through difficult.
- He tried to do the ol' Travis Bickle, but couldn't deal with the guilt and pressure, and cracked: maybe a closeted F?

He: ISTJ.
- By-the-book, unassuming, inside-the-box thinker.
- Very reserved and concerned with responsibility and benificence.
- Intelligent, but not good at improvising at all.

She: ESFP.
- Wild; passionate; untrustworthy.
- Concerned mainly with excitement and sensory gratification.
- Enjoys getting a rise out of people.
- Settles down once she finds a rich doctor, but can't really leave behind her desires, and must live out a mysterious double-life in order to fulfill them.

Daaf
4 Jun 2009, 09:40 AM
He: ISTP.
- By-the-book, unassuming, inside-the-box thinker.
- Very reserved and concerned with responsibility and benificence.
- Intelligent, but not good at improvising at all.

Uhm like ISTP are awesome at improvising... they have Se...They might be crap at planning ahead though...

So by your description of his character he is ISTJ ....

Daaf
4 Jun 2009, 09:53 AM

He fits the bill, it's mainly his absurd overconfidence, and his need for people to "bounce ideas off of"
He isn't any SJ cause he hates almost everything, he is highly unlikely to be NF because he is more of a there's no hope kind of guy....which is a very rational (NT approach)

He could be ISTP....can't really see why not
ESTP, no, that would imply he only be right about 50% of time (lack of Ni..)
XSFP, uhm, seriously......

He is not INTP, because he works better in a group than alone, and he has to be in charge....
He is not ENTP because he is too obsessive and focused
He could be ENTJ.
But he fits the description of INTJ in the case where it is said that when INTJs are under pressure they get caught up in the little details going over them again and again...and that they could be excessive drinkers, in his case he went to painkillers instead of alcohol...

:mellow:

Ferox Seneca
4 Jun 2009, 04:29 PM
Uhm like ISTP are awesome at improvising... they have Se...They might be crap at planning ahead though...

So by your description of his character he is ISTJ ....
Whoops! That's what I meant. Retroactively edited...

ALittleGirl
7 Jun 2009, 10:41 PM
For anyone who has read Gone With the Wind:

"It's a curse--this not wanting to look on naked realities... life was never more real to me than a shadow show on a curtain. And I preferred it so. I do not like the outlines of things to be too sharp. I like them gently blurred, a little hazy."

Would you say Ashley Wilkes is INFP?

---------------------------------------------------
Scarlett O'Hara-ESTJ or ESFJ

Rhett Butler-ESTP or ESTJ

Melanie Wilkes-INFJ or INFP

Tell me if you have a differing opinion!

belledureve
15 Dec 2009, 12:51 AM
Disagree
Ryan:INTJ
Seth:ENTP
Summer: ESFJ
Marissa: ENFP
Julie:ESFJ
Sandy:ENFP/J
Kirsten: ISTJ
Caleb: ENTJ

Julian
21 Dec 2009, 09:20 AM
So I got to the 6th page of reading this and got impatient, so I'm going to comment on characters talked about then (mostly because I feel very attached to these characters.)

Doc Brown (Back to the Future): INTP. Why? I agree that he was portrayed to be a crazier Einstein. I think he's perceived at first to be an E instead of I because of his outgoing relationship with Marty. However Marty is one of his only friends, Einstein (his dog) being the other. I relate to this because I have a few best friends that I'm totally extroverted around. May it be my 'chameleonic ability' or not, I feel very comfortable with these select few.
Someone mentioned that he seems very involved in the 1885 community. Comparing to myself, I would be involved as well. The Doc is living his dream, always wishing to live in the old west. Living in a small community, he may feel compelled to be more outgoing with people (as most people in small towns are very close-knit at times). It would be imaginable that he would later on become Introverted again.
Also notice that when he realized he was going to meet a girl, it was almost a shocker, seeing as how he was more in his head (like an Einstein type, that doesn't nurture to people or feelings).
I'm a huge fan of the movies. hahaha

And Peter Parker PRE-spidey powers is definitely an INTP. Very nerdy, to himself, only has 1 friend, doesn't do well in society, etc. HOWEVER when he realizes that his lack of character doesn't allow him to be what he wants, he turns into an ENTJ. I say the E because he obviously has a love for people, the NT because mostly he fights with logic, but when he gets struck hard personally he explodes in emotional 'bravery,' and the J because he needs to execute his ideas properly in order to accomplish his goals.
Then depending on which story time-line you're dealing with (in comics) different personalities may occur.

Ill eagle
21 Dec 2009, 09:35 AM
I think Raskolnikov was INTJ and his friend Razumichkin could be none other than ENFP. Ponfiry was one of those intuitive ISTJs, very clever dialogue with him, almost makes him seem INTJ.

Anacaona
22 Dec 2009, 01:08 AM

Are you talking about Dr House? Personally I think he could be INTJ because he seems to think he is always right and he is very arrogant.

Ill eagle
22 Dec 2009, 01:17 AM
He's ENTP

Stewies not INTJ and Dr. Cox isn't INTJ either.

Limey
22 Dec 2009, 07:10 AM
Are you talking about Dr House? Personally I think he could be INTJ because he seems to think he is always right and he is very arrogant.

you're wrong
<head paradoxically explodes>

skatealex2
22 Dec 2009, 07:17 AM
Do any of the characters from Lost seem like their intp?

maybe John Locke

Professor Chaos
22 Dec 2009, 09:30 AM
Dexter from the classic cartoon Dexter's Laboratory-INTJ

However, he doesn't appear to be as much of robot as many INTJ's can be.

Ill eagle
22 Dec 2009, 10:37 AM
Do any of the characters from Lost seem like their intp?

maybe John Locke

My favorite character John Locke is ISFP.

Charlie - ENFP

Benjamin Linus is not INTJ. His character is ENTJ and he's ENFJ IRL.

Fat guy Hurleys an ISFP.

Kate Austen - ISTP.

Sawyer - ESTP

Black guy Michael - ESTP

His son (forget his name) - seems rather INFJ.

Nope, no INTPs on Lost.

Llewellyn
22 Dec 2009, 10:41 AM
Dexter from the classic cartoon Dexter's Laboratory-INTJ

However, he doesn't appear to be as much of robot as many INTJ's can be.

What type is Butters?

Ill eagle
22 Dec 2009, 10:42 AM
What type is Butters?

ISFJ most likely.

Julian
22 Dec 2009, 11:53 AM
Zach Braff's character in Garden State? He's an actor, but he seems a little disconnected. I'm new to the whole guessing who is who thing, so I'm not going to try. lol

skatealex2
22 Dec 2009, 07:09 PM
how about Dexter from the show Dexter?

carbon cold
22 Dec 2009, 09:44 PM
Echo from Dollhouse. (Season 2)

Go!

teleforce
22 Dec 2009, 10:25 PM
ghost world (the movie)

enid - INFP
rebecca - ISTJ
seymour - INT....PJ?!?! leaning towards J, but i don't know.

Baltar
28 Dec 2009, 01:28 AM
Dupe of a post I just made at TYPEc:

John Laroquette's character(who wakes up temporarily from a coma) in that one episode of House: ENTJ

INTPs are much more often depicted as nerds, eccentrics, or absent-minded professors than as villains, but I may have found at least one INTP quasi-villain:
Remember that dumb, but hard to look away(the theme of the film, actually) movie Sliver? I watched it(random collecting via torrents) for the first time in 15 years this weekend(mild spoilers follow). I think William Baldwin's character was an INTP! Think about it: spends lots of time alone observing others through that system of monitors and cameras, designs video games for a living(as a cover, at least).
He must have great Ne to get all that play, though. Shadow Fe shows through his willingness to use his weird little setup to do some good, and his seriously fucked up and drawn out into the late 20s oedipal complex.

The other characters:

Jack: XSTP
Carly: IXXJ
Vida: ESFX

deuteros
31 Dec 2009, 03:29 AM
Charlie - ENFP
I agree with you except for this one. ESFP maybe?

Nope, no INTPs on Lost.

The only one who might fit would be Daniel Faraday.

deuteros
31 Dec 2009, 03:33 AM
I just started watching Arrested Development and I'm almost finished with Season 1. Here is my take:

Michael - ESTJ
Lindsay - XSTP
Gob - ESTP
Buster - ISFP
George Sr. = ESTP
Lucille - XSTJ
Tobias - EXFP
Maeby - ISTP
George Michael - ISFJ

kali
2 Jan 2010, 02:19 PM
She isn't fictional (couldn't find the right thread) but I just want to say that Tyra Banks = textbook ENTJ.

YHWH
2 Jan 2010, 02:30 PM
I could have sworn she's ESFJ.

kali
2 Jan 2010, 03:02 PM
I think she has a balanced S/N, but she's definitely a T. Her frankness provides for lulzy entertainment. She told a white supremecist that he had a "black-sounding voice."

Alfredo
2 Jan 2010, 07:33 PM
Shawn Spencer- ENTP
Gus Buster- ISFJ
Lassiter- xSTJ
Juliet O'hara- ?
Shawn's dad- ?

Julian
3 Jan 2010, 08:39 PM
Shawn Spencer- ENTP
Gus Buster- ISFJ
Lassiter- xSTJ
Juliet O'hara- ?
Shawn's dad- ?

Is that why I love this show? but I would have to say that Shawn could be an ENTJ seeing as how he's very sure whenever he's solving cases. Lassy is possibly an ISTJ. Shawn's dad could be an INTJ, but I could be wrong. I can't type Juliet.

Alfredo
3 Jan 2010, 09:00 PM
Is that why I love this show? but I would have to say that Shawn could be an ENTJ seeing as how he's very sure whenever he's solving cases. Lassy is possibly an ISTJ. Shawn's dad could be an INTJ, but I could be wrong. I can't type Juliet.

I have not met many entjs in real life, and going by the profile it seems unlikely that's the case. He's definitely an extrovert with dominant intuition instead of dominant thinking. For a while I wasn't too sure about the s/n preference. He's very perceptive and picks up on alot of details that most people miss, but at the same time he's not completely rooted in the present (he's not short sighte). Really, its the ADD that leads me to believe he's an ENTP.

Why do you think his dad is an INTJ?

As for O'hara, I figure's she's an xxFJ of sorts. eh.

Julian
3 Jan 2010, 09:56 PM
I have not met many entjs in real life, and going by the profile it seems unlikely that's the case. He's definitely an extrovert with dominant intuition instead of dominant thinking. For a while I wasn't too sure about the s/n preference. He's very perceptive and picks up on alot of details that most people miss, but at the same time he's not completely rooted in the present (he's not short sighte). Really, its the ADD that leads me to believe he's an ENTP.

Why do you think his dad is an INTJ?

As for O'hara, I figure's she's an xxFJ of sorts. eh.

Well my gf is an ENTJ, so they do exist! :P but i agree with not being completely rooted in the present. I guess he is an ENTP, because he immediately sees everything around him. I take back my previous statement.

I think his dad is INTJ because he teaches Shawn everything about being a good detective, and INTJ's have a high regard for knowledge, so his passing down of his own knowledge shows that. He also decides and judges things rather immediately, and never figures himself wrong.

Vodhgarm
3 Jan 2010, 10:41 PM
"L" from Death note
House is either ENTP or INTP .. maybe he's a little bit more introverted seeing how he prefers to work alone etc.
Brian form Family guy

i think those characters are INTP's .. but who knows ..

oh .. and also Selene from Underworld

Judgment
16 Jun 2010, 09:07 PM
All these series are highly recommended (except perhaps Harry Potter, which I'm not too enthused about... but I may just be anti-popularist):

Another point, there are very few INTPs in fiction, and a lot more INTJs who I guess make much more interesting characters (the Ben Linus sort of schemer).

A Song of Ice and Fire

Bran Stark - INFP
Daenerys Targaryen - INFJ
Samwell Tarly - ISFP
Jaime Lannister - ESTP
Tyrion Lannister - ENTP
Jon Snow - ENTJ
Arya Stark - ISTP
Ned Stark - ISTJ
Cersei Lannister - ENTJ
Tywin Lannister - INTJ
Sansa Stark - ENFJ
Catelyn Stark - ESFJ
Robert Baratheon - ESTP
Joffrey Baratheon - ESTJ
Littlefinger - INTJ
Bronn - ISTP
The Mountain - ISTJ
The Hound - ISTJ
The Red Viper - ENTP
Stannis Baratheon - ISTJ
The Red Priestess - ENFJ
Theon Greyjoy - ESTP
Davos €œThe Onion Knight€ - ISTP
Brienne - ISFJ
Ser Loras Tyrell €œThe Knight of Flowers€ - ESTP
Euron €œThe Crow€™s-Eye€ - ENTP

Lord of the Rings

Frodo - INFP
Aragorn - ISTP
Galadriel - INFJ
Bilbo - ISFJ
Arwen - ENFP
Faramir - ISFJ
Denethor - ESTJ
Grima - INFP
Theoden - ISTJ
Sauron - ENTJ
Gollum - ENFJ
Eowyn - ESFJ
Gimli - ISTJ
Legolas - ISTP
Sam - ISFJ
Gandalf - INTJ
Merry & Pippin - ESFP
Saruman - ISTJ

Wheel of Time

Rand - INTJ
Perrin - ISTP
Mat - ESTP
Nynaeve - INTJ
Elayne - ENTP
Thom - ESTP
Verin - INTP
Egwene - ENTJ
Moiraine - INTJ

The First Law

Logen Ninefingers - INTP
Sand dan Glokta - INTJ
Jezal - ESFJ
Ardee - ENFP
Ferro - ISTP
Bayaz - INTJ
Bethod - INTJ

Harry Potter

Harry - ISFP
Hermione - ISTJ
Ron - ESFP
Voldemort - INTP
Hagrid - ISFJ
Sirius Black - ENTP
Draco Malfoy - ESTP
Weasley Twins - ENTP
Dumbledore - INFJ
Snape - INTJ
Remus Lupin - INFP
Madam Hooch - ISTP

ApeTheDog
16 Jun 2010, 09:35 PM
Do you think we should have a different MBTI for black people or should they be non-segregated?

Judgment
16 Jun 2010, 09:43 PM
Do you think we should have a different MBTI for black people or should they be non-segregated?

I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly...

ApeTheDog
16 Jun 2010, 09:51 PM
Well for example a black and a white INTJ aren't the same personality. A black INTJ is a lot more angry for example than a white one, and so Gandalf could be INTJ if he was white but not if he was black. Do you follow?

LongSilence
16 Jun 2010, 10:10 PM
Well for example a black and a white INTJ aren't the same personality. A black INTJ is a lot more angry for example than a white one, and so Gandalf could be INTJ if he was white but not if he was black. Do you follow?

But Gandalf is grey and white. He's never black... I mean, Saruman was 'many-coloured' so I guess he could be considered mixed race... but Gandalf is not gonna be a black INTJ. Except maybe when he was fighting the fiery Balrog.

ApeTheDog
16 Jun 2010, 10:12 PM
But Gandalf is grey and white. He's never black... I mean, Saruman was 'many-coloured' so I guess he could be considered mixed race... but Gandalf is not gonna be a black INTJ. Except maybe when he was fighting the fiery Balrog.

I don't mean like in their title. Just because someone is called for example Barry White doesn't mean he's not black, and vice versa. I mean MBTI as in the skin color and the way their personality is shaped by it. I think it would be useful to have the differences in MBTI as well so you can be more precise about people that way.

LongSilence
16 Jun 2010, 10:20 PM
I don't mean like in their title. Just because someone is called for example Barry White doesn't mean he's not black, and vice versa. I mean MBTI as in the skin color and the way their personality is shaped by it. I think it would be useful to have the differences in MBTI as well so you can be more precise about people that way.

Yeah, but Gandalf is white. No-one's ever played or drawn him black and anyone who imagines him as black is like totally screwing with the Medieval-style fantasy setting. I mean, sure the Orcs are probably metaphorical black people but Gandalf is white.

Judgment
16 Jun 2010, 10:21 PM
So, any comments about the actual list? Arguments against what I have typed certain characters as?

ApeTheDog
16 Jun 2010, 10:32 PM
I have it on good autority that Hermione as NT as anyone can be actually. I'd classify her an INTJ white.

Judgment
16 Jun 2010, 11:25 PM
I have it on good autority that Hermione as NT as anyone can be actually. I'd classify her an INTJ white.

I'm divided on that one. She's as vigorous a rule follower as can be, which seems more ISTJ. INTJs tend to break them.

ApeTheDog
17 Jun 2010, 12:06 AM
I doubt that. I think if an INTJ ever inexplicably found themself without a rule to follow they'd immediately come up with one.

Игор
17 Jun 2010, 03:35 PM
Wait .. Voldemort - INTP ?!?!? FTW?! .. xD .. you think we have an actual evil INTP on our hands? .. Ridiculous!

Weber
17 Jun 2010, 04:07 PM
Voldemort and Salazar Slytherin are obvious NTJs. They're based on Nazi ideology, after all.

Kaydje
17 Jun 2010, 04:33 PM
Solid Snake?
O.o

Judgment
17 Jun 2010, 04:40 PM
Wait .. Voldemort - INTP ?!?!? FTW?! .. xD .. you think we have an actual evil INTP on our hands? .. Ridiculous!

"Voldemort is clearly INTP. Creative in his torture methods and does not go by a schedule when taking over the world. He relies on other people to get the details done and bids his time until he see's fit. He does have a rudimentary sketch of a plan for capturing Harry in almost every book (J), but he is also WAY too creative in coming up with ways to do so (P). He seems much more relaxed than Snape."

I'm not sure if I 100% agree with that, but it's from here on this forum, people tend to be divided whether Voldemort is J or P: http://forums.intpcentral.com/archive/index.php/t-2662.html

Personally I think that he lacks a long term plan.

19 Jun 2010, 05:04 AM
why is Snape J over P?

teleforce
19 Jun 2010, 05:17 AM
i'm not sure it works like that...

ApeTheDog
19 Jun 2010, 09:17 AM
i'm not sure it works like that...

Failed trolling attempt on my part.

gr8ness97
19 Jun 2010, 02:31 PM

Clearly, a wtf moment.

Bking
20 Jun 2010, 05:24 AM
On the subject of fictional characters, I find it interesting how authors, writers, etc, can create a character that fall in place with a specific personality type so well without any knowledge to the MBTI or other organized behavioral patterns. It seems like it would be hard to create a personality where is that characters behavior is consistent with his personality throughout. But it doesn’t seem to be difficult for some people at all.

Elfboy
21 Jun 2010, 02:15 AM
Kyo Kara Maoh
Yuri: ISFP; he's seems N, but an INFP would be down with being transported to a midieval world and adjust in like 5 minutes (in fact, most of us NFPs would actually fit in better there hahaha). he also loves baseball and seems mildly competitive. ISFP's like fantasy too, but they might take longer to adjust.
Wolfram: ENTJ
Comrad: INFJ, possibly INTJ
Yuri's mom: ENFP

Bking
21 Jun 2010, 05:00 AM
On the subject of fictional characters, I find it interesting how authors, writers, etc, can create a character that fall in place with a specific personality type so well without any knowledge to the MBTI or other organized behavioral patterns. It seems like it would be hard to create a personality where is that characters behavior is consistent with his personality throughout. But it doesn’t seem to be difficult for some people at all.

Any personal insights on this? Anyone?

Have any of you created a fictional character? And if so, did you use the MBTI to help cast your screenplay? Or, once you have imagined your story, did you use the MBTI to properly create a character that would respond to your imagined events in the way you would want him to. Or it all just seemed to work without much detailed planning into the psyche of the individual.

Ptah
9 Jul 2010, 06:31 PM

There we have a crystal clear example of the difference between that which is held implicitly versus explicitly. People know more than they know -- or would ever admit or confess to.

Have any of you created a fictional character? And if so, did you use the MBTI to help cast your screenplay? Or, once you have imagined your story, did you use the MBTI to properly create a character that would respond to your imagined events in the way you would want him to. Or it all just seemed to work without much detailed planning into the psyche of the individual.

Yes. I use type theory (Keirsey's) to fashion fictional characters, sometimes loosely, sometimes rigidly. Usually to help me ground S-type characters (because I have a hard time projecting an S-character without coming across banally stereotypical). SPs are the most unnatural for me to imagine unguided by some type theory, fwiw.

Often I'll craft the essential characteristics of the character (as suit the theme, plot, etc) and then step back, take a holistic look at what I've sketched of them so far. From there match them up to a personality type, and round out the details in the additional context supplied thereby.

Merak
19 Jul 2010, 06:09 PM

It is quite possible that the authors are using real life acquaintances as templates. One doesn't need to know MBTI to recall a quiet friend who seems highly intelligent, yet lacks any emotion.

Or, to put it another way: MBTI simply gives names and labels for what many people already observe.

matty_uk
2 Aug 2010, 03:55 PM

I think creating believable characters is an NF thing. NTs use their intuition to identify what the objective truth is, while NFs use their intuition to understand how another person is feeling subjectively and to imagine what it is like to be them. (or perhaps this is introverted feeling?) Authors who make consistent characters are probably NFs who spend most of their time thinking about this sort of thing. NTs on the other hand are not particularly interested in how someone is feeling, and although they may like to understand the motivations of others their understanding always feels like it is missing something, lacking as it does the empathic identification with the other which NF tends towards. Because of this, NT books tend to have weaker characterisation and feel a bit colder - e.g. Kafka's books, which brilliant though they are don't really have any memorable characters. (although I suppose NT readers won't regard this as particularly important?)

(incidentally, I read a post recently which claimed that NFs tend to talk mostly about themselves and their problems in their relationships and are therefore self-absorbed, but this is a misinterpretation - on the contrary, it is not self-absorption but an interest in other people that motivates us to do this. It is usually an attempt to coax the other person into telling about their love life and revealing their feelings - firstly because discussing relationship problems and "gossiping" more generally are conversations we find stimulating, and secondly because we want to be able to empathise with the person we're talking to by learning about them, and in turn we want them to empathise with us, which is why we appear to want to talk about ourselves - our friendships with other NFs are often pacts of mutual empathy, while Ts seem to form friendships because of things they enjoy doing together - to an NF, a group of Ts can appear to have superficial friendships because they "don't really know each other." Attempts to start a conversation carrying emotional content with Ts usually fall flat, and this leaves a similar feeling of frustration that you get when you try to instigate an N conversation with a strong S and they look blank.)

auriel
2 Aug 2010, 04:39 PM
"our friendships with other NFs are often pacts of mutual empathy, while Ts seem to form friendships because of things they enjoy doing together - to an NF, a group of Ts can appear to have superficial friendships because they "don't really know each other." Attempts to start a conversation carrying emotional content with Ts usually fall flat"

Yeah. Now I know why I've been so disappointed in so many of my friendships (most of them have been with NT's). I'm not uncomfortable discussing impersonal stuff, but they tend to be at least a little uncomfortable discussing personal stuff, so I find the Thinkers tend to win the day and friendships remain stunted. :( With a few super T's I sometimes get this horrific feeling that there isn't a person inside I could connect with in that way. Of course, the barrier often breaks down and the NT will reveal bits and pieces of their emotional life as time goes on, sometimes by accident. Not ideal for us, but it does give you the chance to connect and the friendship more genuine, though they might not always realize it.