PDA

View Full Version : sightedness

Network Alchemy
16 Nov 2004, 02:51 AM
do you have nearsighted farsighted or allright vision

HairlessBluetick
16 Nov 2004, 02:53 AM
i have 20/300 vision. I'm nearsighted. 20/300 means I see something 20 feet away as if it is 300 ft away. A few more feet ( I think 100 ) and I'm legally blind.

Network Alchemy
16 Nov 2004, 02:59 AM
myself is nearsighted though i do not know specific numbers i believe farsightedness is rarest of the vision qualities

ainoassassin
16 Nov 2004, 03:28 AM
I'm nearsighted. I wear contacts for them now, but I had to get glasses when I was in first grade. That sucked. My perscriptions are -4.5 and -4.25 but I don't know what that is in the 20/20 scale althought with my contacts I see 20/15 :)

cjs55
16 Nov 2004, 03:58 AM
It says I already have voted on the poll when I haven't. Odd.

Nearsighted here quite severly as well. I have a theory about N's having poorer vision than S's. More precisely, those with poorer vision become N's instead of S's, due to their crappy vision. I have no idea if its right or not, but its just a theory that explains myself and my lack of visual memory as well. I'm not sure if as babies our vision is similar as to when we are older or not. But if everything was anywhere close to as blurry for me when I was 1 year old as it is now (without my glasses), I would definitely have to use intuition to make sense out of anything in the world.

int
16 Nov 2004, 07:15 AM
My left eye contact lens says -4.50 and toric. My right eye contact is -4.25. I don't know how that translates to the xx/20 scale. Probably 100/20 or something.

I can see things that are close. After things get about a foot away all I see are colors.

flan2dave
16 Nov 2004, 07:37 AM
Nearsighted. I'll only wear my glasses if I need to read stuff far away from me though.

cjs55, I read highly sensitive people tend to have N preferences, which suggests there is a connection between poor senses (like bad vision) and the N preference.

Arioch
16 Nov 2004, 07:48 AM
I wanted to get this pair of glasses once because I would look hot(ter) in them.
I learned this by trying on a friends glasses. Sadly after I got to 125% the guy said "you don't need glasses.

I have this strange feeling that I could only do that cause I could guess what they were.
But since I'm not in anyway limited I'm not bothered.

libertarianjim
16 Nov 2004, 10:31 AM
I'm in the same boat as a few people here: I'm nearsighted but I really only need my glasses to read things at a distance (like street signs -- not "stop" or "yield" but "5th Ave" or "Blvd of the Allies" or whatever). My glasses are small, and a good portion of the time I find myself looking over them.

I like the look from glasses, though. More professorial, although I've never heard any commentary on my "bespectacled hotness." Actually, I haven't heard much about my "hotness" period, lately, which is a source of some consternation.

athman
16 Nov 2004, 12:35 PM
I've got astigmatism so I don't know where that puts me on the scale of near or farsightedness, its fuzzy but for different reasons.
It's hard to separate cause and effect too. I like reading and using computers, like most others here, and I suppose that had something to do with the need for glasses.

Birdsnest
16 Nov 2004, 03:53 PM
I've got stars in my left eye. (Actually they are little microscopic scars called macular stars that were left from (CSF) Cat Scratch Fever.) My remedy is a cheap pair of walmart glasses with the 2.0 magnification and that helps me see. Without the magnification I can't see much at all up close, can see far away, but everything looks smaller and further than it used to. And, its like looking thru a shower glass door thats fogged up thru left eye. But the Walmart magnification really helps clear things up in both eyes. I asked them what does it take to be considered legally blind, and they said you would have to not be able to see out of either eye. So its not that easy to see tiny numbers on spreadsheets. I could use one of those light magnifyers.

Sam172
16 Nov 2004, 05:33 PM
I'm partially short sighted in my left eye. My right eye is fine....although i'm sure that if I alternate eyes i'm looking though (by closing one eye, and opening the other, then closing that one and opening the other) then the colours seem different. At times it seems more blue I think...

Anyway, I think my eyesight is getting worse. I'm convinced that my right eye is getting very slightly worse than when I had my last checkup (2 years ago.....I keep getting heckled to go for another checkup _)
I have a glasses, but I never wear them because I can see almost fine without them, and they make my eyes hurt when I put them on.

Network Alchemy
16 Nov 2004, 06:17 PM
i played videogames a lot as a child and my parents thought that was the reason my vision became poor and i needed glasses which seemed illogical to me so one day i asked them if they knew anybody with glasses who lived in the third world country we came from and my mother said yes and i asked how many hours of videogames did those people play everyday

Arcael
16 Nov 2004, 08:50 PM
I used to be nearsighted in my right eye, being around 20/400. Got lasik surgery now im at probably 20/25 or 20/20. Immediately after the surgery I was seeing at 20/15 or better.

My left eye has a cataract in it though, I'm going to wait until im older to get it fixed because it doesn't effect my vision all that much. I have 20/40 in that eye.

MacGuffin
16 Nov 2004, 10:07 PM
I am probably around 20/15 or so. I have excellent eyesight.

int
16 Nov 2004, 10:20 PM
The day I can afford it I'm getting Lasik. Both my parents had it done and it worked really well for them.

t
16 Nov 2004, 10:26 PM
nearsighted... but i really only use my glasses for reading far away. my vision isn't *that* bad, but it's getting worse from my laziness with wearing the glasses.

Strephonade
16 Nov 2004, 11:31 PM
Nearsighted, and use glasses only when I have to, like when going to the movies, or trying to figure out whether that thing a mile away looks more like a tree or a telephone pole.

Anacaona
16 Nov 2004, 11:55 PM
Im nearsighted. One eye is -4.50 an the other -4.75. I wear glasses most of the time, and contacts sometimes...

BritainOphira
17 Nov 2004, 12:49 AM
Nearsighted. At last check (spring '04), my vision had degenerated from being 20/40 to 20/100, but I've been noticing for the last month or so that my vision is getting worse again. Luckily the insurance will pay for new glasses this go 'round (I was one month early last time, but I couldn't read an overhead when standing five feet away from whatever it was projected on, so I couldn't wait).
I think I'm going to wait until Christmas break to go back to the optometrist, though, because she only works every other Saturday and I have something going on almost every weekend and I'm on driving probation anyway, so it's not like I'm in danger of wrecking.

crule81
19 Nov 2004, 04:51 PM
I guess I'm the only farsighted one (for now). Been like that since about age 6. I can read without glasses but I get a headache after awhile. But my vision at distances is perfect.

EternalCynic
19 Nov 2004, 05:22 PM
Nearsighted, and growing worse by the hour :)
Not too bad right now, currently both eyes (they just equeled out.. which is odd) are at -2.0

ohnoaninfp
22 Nov 2004, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately I am nearsighted, which means I have to wear glasses. Contacts hurt my eyes too much. But, I have clip on sunglasses to cover up my prescrition sunglasses, which is cool.

Zero Angel
22 Nov 2004, 10:34 PM
Contacts take some getting used to, you also have to make sure that they are properly cleaned otherwise there will be some irritation. But they are useful because once you forget about them, its almost like your vision is naturally good and you have total freedom to move your eyes instead of always having to move your head to look at your target.

Division56
22 Nov 2004, 10:57 PM
Nearsighted - 20/385

Contacts and glasses.

Contacts are -6.00

Seraph
23 Nov 2004, 04:44 AM
Wow...This surprises me...That many INTP's are nearsighted?!!

20/25 for me. Close enough.

jimkopelli
23 Nov 2004, 11:23 PM
Near, but not sure off the top of my head how near.

jimkopelli
23 Nov 2004, 11:25 PM
I used to play a fun game on the bus going to elementary school... it was called "Let's see if we can keep the sun lined up with that smudge on the window." Basically... staring at the sun. Maybe that's why I need me glasses...

BritainOphira
24 Nov 2004, 01:40 AM
Wow...This surprises me...That many INTP's are nearsighted?!!
It's probably because we all spend so much time at the computer. I know it's made my vision worse...

indie
7 Jan 2005, 05:55 PM
I have excellent eyesight, but sometimes wish I had to wear glasses. Glasses are sexy, IMO.

booyalab
7 Jan 2005, 07:37 PM
I have to wear glasses for driving and going to the movie theater. So I'm functionally near-sighted

Solo
7 Jan 2005, 09:53 PM
I'm near sighted and I also have a stigma against my eyes that makes anything, no matter how close, blurry.

mgb
7 Jan 2005, 09:54 PM
Tragically nearsighted. Without glasses I can barely read store signs from the road when I am driving (let alone road signs).

garak
7 Jan 2005, 09:59 PM
20/40 last I knew; might be worse now. I can't be bothered to wear glasses or contacts.

mgb
7 Jan 2005, 10:02 PM
I never understood the 20 system. I am -3.25. That's all I know.

QrioCT
8 Jan 2005, 12:58 AM
i'm somewhere around -3.50, but my glasses are still -2.5. i dont wear my glasses, unless i need to see stuff. i look scary in them :D but majorly, i think its cuz i never got used to wearing them long.

mgb
8 Jan 2005, 01:02 AM
i'm somewhere around -3.50, but my glasses are still -2.5. i dont wear my glasses, unless i need to see stuff. i look scary in them :D but majorly, i think its cuz i never got used to wearing them long.

I wonder how your eyes have gotten from -2.5 to -3.5. Probably from not wearing your glasses and squinting all the time.

QrioCT
8 Jan 2005, 01:38 AM
im not certain about the measure. the -3.5 is a guess, maybe exaggeration. yeah ur right, maybe i should get used to wearing glasses sometime.

matthew0028
9 Jan 2005, 10:55 AM
My personal vision, while I don't know the numbers, is *very* bad. I have slight astigmatism, but the problem is I am very very nearsighted. I can't read the "E" on the chart without majorly squinting. I asked my optopmetrist what my number was once.. he said.... well, i don't remember... I think he said probably 20/400 or 20/800. With my glasses on, however, my vision is quite good.

My right eye is fine....although i'm sure that if I alternate eyes i'm looking though (by closing one eye, and opening the other, then closing that one and opening the other) then the colours seem different. At times it seems more blue I think...

I have the exact same situation, except for me one eye looks more red and the other looks more green. It's not always like that, however. Most of the time (when I check), the eyes seem to see the more-or-less the same color.

I asked my optometrist about it a while back... He didn't know excactly what it was, and looked it up later, and when I asked the next year, he didn't remember exactly what it was (or I don't remember what his explanation was--one or the other) but he said it wasn't anything to worry about.

It's probably because we all spend so much time at the computer. I know it's made my vision worse...

I dunno. My vision started deteriorating at around grade 2, long before I would stare at computer screens. And it stopped getting worse around high school, which is when I *did* start looking at computers far more.

coffeezombie
9 Jan 2005, 04:36 PM
I passed my driver's vision test again in 2004. Won't have to take it again until 2010. As long as I pass that, I don't care how good or bad my vision is.

Warrior413
18 Jan 2005, 02:08 AM
I'm very nearsighted, I use contacts but I don't want to look at the numbers. However, I can see into the future... :ph34r:

glassmoon
18 Jan 2005, 02:26 AM
From what i read about third of population is nearsighted. the results shows a much higher nearsightedness rate. Can it be related to types?
I cana throw two guesses - either INTp's read more which is associated (sometimes) with reading alot, or (if I recall right was discussed before in the forum) that N-ness is related to visual-spatial thinking, or generally maybe S's have better sensory abilities....

Crazy
18 Jan 2005, 02:43 AM
I can see just fine, no problems.

Geoff
21 Jan 2005, 11:17 PM
I am not sure if it is type, it is partly academia and working environment.

I was thinking about this recently and realised that in my workplace (a professional environment of accountants, tax advisers etc) there is a huge percentage of nearsightedness.

I would say 80%. All 5 of the people in my department, for example.

Yet I am the only INTP in my office.

I think it must be to do with academia and working closely with VDUs. The fact that nearly all are graduates may be a factor.

Oh, and my Father (who is a plumber)... I asked about his friends who were carpenters, bricklayers etc. Virtually none of them are near sighted - most were only basically educated and (though it is dismissive of me to say so) probably not heavy readers or VDU users.

So are we a product of our eyesight or the other way around? I think the eyesight follows the lifestyle, myself.

-Geoff

euterpenc
22 Jan 2005, 05:36 AM
I am extremely nearsighted. I can't see past arms length without things being blurry. I even think I'm losing my nearsightedness... Blindness here I come.

Edmond Zedo
22 Jan 2005, 05:56 AM
I have pretty good hindsight and foresight.

Hyperion
22 Jan 2005, 06:34 AM
20/700 myopic (nearsighted) right eye
20/650 myopic (nearsighted) left eye

Both eyes also have slight astigmatism and floaters. My right eye sees things brighter than my left eye though, my left eye sees things with a slight yellowish tint.

I am legally blind w/o corrective lens. I can't see anything clear unless it is less than 6 inches away from my eyes.

garak
22 Jan 2005, 06:35 AM
20/700 myopic (nearsighted) right eye
20/650 myopic (nearsighted) left eye

Both eyes also have slight astigmatism and floaters. My right eye sees things brighter than my left eye though, my left eye sees things with a slight yellowish tint.

I am legally blind w/o corrective lens. I can't see anything clear unless it is less than 6 inches away from my eyes.
How much are glasses able to compensate?

Hyperion
22 Jan 2005, 10:00 AM
How much are glasses able to compensate?

Very well actually. They do allow me to see objects, recognize faces and read words from afar which are otherwise not possible without them.

Things do look smaller and brighter through glasses though, with some loss of fine details like texture, color saturation and fine contrast. I also have better depth perception without them.

Miss Anthropic
22 Jan 2005, 10:50 AM
I had my eyes checked once and the doc said I was a hawk. Almost an eagle. An eagle can read the very last line of the eye chart. I could only do the 2nd to last line.

Edmond Zedo
22 Jan 2005, 03:50 PM
An eagle can read the very last line of the eye chart.
How do they know that?

Hyperion
22 Jan 2005, 06:59 PM
Well technically the eagles (and hawks and other birds of prey) can spot stationary animals (and objects) from up to 1.5 km away and have visual acuity greater than ours - it can therefore be safely assumed that they can easily read (in this context, meaning see or take into the senses) the letters though they may not understand or vocalize what they see (hence it is a dissimilar context to which we usually use read).

I had my eyes checked once and the doc said I was a hawk. Almost an eagle. An eagle can read the very last line of the eye chart. I could only do the 2nd to last line.
From what I understand, hawks actually have even better eyesight than eagles. They can spot insects from a mile away and they have 20/5 visual acuity. I am sure your doc is just trying to flatter you but there is no way a human can see like a hawk or an eagle. The size, geometry and anatomy of their eyes are very different. The amount of photoreceptors in the retina alone is simply much much more than ours. :)