PDA

View Full Version : Adding a General Sports forum?

Groty
22 Nov 2004, 04:14 AM
Would anyone else be interested in adding a Sports forum to Life, The Universe, and Everything?

Utopmk
22 Nov 2004, 04:26 AM
"No, sports suck."

Jezebel
22 Nov 2004, 08:31 AM
Well, I don't like sports. Anyways, you're *able* to talk about sports in the local pub. Maybe start some threads there, and if a lot of other threads and responses are made related to sports, they can be moved to their own forum?

Boneca
22 Nov 2004, 10:54 AM
I voted "no, sports suck", because I think sports suck. But I just wanted to point out that I don't mind at all if you guys would get a sports forum, as long as I don't have to post in it.
The good thing with discussion forums is that you can ignore the topics you're not interested in.

sbw
22 Nov 2004, 02:47 PM
why does everyone think that sports suck? obviously, I like some (basketball, football) and not others (hockey, baseball, golf is unwatchably boring even though I play it), but I essentially still follow the ones I played/watched/attended when I was a kid...

Scott

Groty
22 Nov 2004, 03:16 PM
why does everyone think that sports suck? obviously, I like some (basketball, football) and not others (hockey, baseball, golf is unwatchably boring even though I play it), but I essentially still follow the ones I played/watched/attended when I was a kid...

Scott
I know a lot of people don't enjoy sports. I love the strategy of it. I've had a few fleeting mentions of sports on this board. Wanted to see how many other people would like it.

SheepDog
22 Nov 2004, 06:01 PM
I can see playing sports, but talking about them or watching them doesn't really appeal to me.

Division56
22 Nov 2004, 06:05 PM
I've always been interested in learning about, and maybe even playing Rugby. I bought a book once, but it was too confusing.

Maybe I'll try again later.

Then again. maybe the deal with Rugby is just that I find the players hot. But I think there might be actual interest in it too.

Sam172
22 Nov 2004, 06:40 PM
Unless you start talking about how to splice chinese kickboxing & badminton.....then i'm going for a "no, sports suck" :)

INTrPosr
22 Nov 2004, 07:37 PM
Count me in Groty!

SensEye
22 Nov 2004, 08:43 PM
Well I voted "doesn't matter to me..." (the only one so far). I confess I don't visit other boards for sports, nor do I think sports suck, but at this forum, it just doesn't matter to me.

Groty
22 Nov 2004, 09:46 PM
Then again. maybe the deal with Rugby is just that I find the players hot. But I think there might be actual interest in it too.http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/bush_yale_righthook.gif

Spartan26
22 Nov 2004, 09:47 PM
Sounds great to me so long as we make issue #1 the abolishment of the BCS!

MacGuffin
22 Nov 2004, 10:00 PM
I go to other sites for sports.

ohnoaninfp
22 Nov 2004, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't post very often in the sports section if there was one. I am not too interested in talking about sports.

mgb
23 Nov 2004, 02:07 AM
I go to other sites for sports.

I don't go to a lot of other sites so I think it would be fun to have a sports section here.

Besides, I think the Artest suspension really needs a good going over by everyone. :)

crule81
23 Nov 2004, 02:38 AM
I could talk all day about sports. I spend my lunch hour listening to Jim Rome. We could go on and on about Ron Artest. (I turned down an opportunity to go to that game.)

Vagabond
23 Nov 2004, 03:21 AM
Yeah why not... we have seperate sections for pretty much anything else anyway...

Oh, btw, sports definitely do not suck...:cool:

Groty
23 Nov 2004, 03:44 AM
I could talk all day about sports. I spend my lunch hour listening to Jim Rome. We could go on and on about Ron Artest. (I turned down an opportunity to go to that game.)Rome is an arrogant, testosterone laiden(I think he takes pills for it), jack ass. If someone came into my office and threw a drink on me, I'd jack 'em up. Of course, I'd drag them outside first and make sure no one was looking... but ya know...

mgb
23 Nov 2004, 05:37 AM
Rome is an arrogant, testosterone laiden(I think he takes pills for it), jack ass. If someone came into my office and threw a drink on me, I'd jack 'em up. Of course, I'd drag them outside first and make sure no one was looking... but ya know...

I think if you are "tough" enough to throw your drink at a guy that is 6'7 250lbs, you probably deserve to get your ass kicked.

I don't mind Rome that much. He is a little arrogant but aren't we all...

Claverhouse
23 Nov 2004, 04:20 PM
Sports suck bigtime; although not half as much as sportsmen/women. So I voted that way. But if you want it...

There should have been an option for: shudder, knock yourself out.

Claverhouse

cloakable
23 Nov 2004, 05:17 PM
Yeah, but what sports? Not many INTP are going to be into extreme sports like I am (intuited from the Bunjee jump thread). I voted yes anyway.

Groty
23 Nov 2004, 05:59 PM
Yeah, but what sports? Not many INTP are going to be into extreme sports like I am (intuited from the Bunjee jump thread). I voted yes anyway.
1 Forum for all sports related items. Football, Soccer, Baseball, Curling, Racing... everything in one.

Division56
23 Nov 2004, 08:00 PM

Next winter I plan to sign up for snowboarding lessons. If that counts for an extreme sport...

file cabinet
23 Nov 2004, 08:24 PM
I personally don't think a sports forum would garner much activity but maybe that is because I don't like sports ? and because most of the forum categories already here are broad enough that a sports thread can fit there? or does sports need to be added to the description of 'The World' or 'Local Pub' ? oh well, my 2 cents.

INTrPosr
23 Nov 2004, 08:25 PM
I probably agree with you Spartan. I am always hopeful that, no matter how much they tweak the system, there is always an outcome which shows that a true playoff is needed.

NGene
23 Nov 2004, 09:32 PM
Hm. I'm a little skeptical about this sports category. We already have too many categories (according to another poll some time ago :D) and I personally don't like sports.

booyalab
23 Nov 2004, 09:53 PM
The poll can decide. In my opinion, it shouldn't matter to sports haters whether there is a category for sports. I'm sure not everyone likes all of the presently existing categories equally and no one's going to make you contribute. I've read plenty of sports-related diversions in the threads so far to suggest that there are a lot of INTPs who like sports.

booyalab
23 Nov 2004, 09:57 PM
Maybe we could expand it to include diet and nutrition and health too....though I don't know how...call it The Human Body or something? (yeah i know..cliched name)

Or we could just discuss sports in the local pub since in real life that's where people talk about it anyway

SheepDog
23 Nov 2004, 09:58 PM
I find it very funny that this thread has been discussing sports topics for days now, and in the meantime, there haven't been any threads actually talking about sports. Good for a chuckle, don't you think?

booyalab
23 Nov 2004, 10:02 PM
I find it very funny that this thread has been discussing sports topics for days now, and in the meantime, there haven't been any threads actually talking about sports. Good for a chuckle, don't you think?

it would be funny if this was an ESTP forum, yes. But we like to weigh the pros and cons of doing something before doing it, even if it takes forever.

mgb
23 Nov 2004, 10:03 PM
Or we could just discuss sports in the local pub since in real life that's where people talk about it anyway

But things are so easily lost in the local pub because most of us are lazy and only scan the forum frontpage.

booyalab
23 Nov 2004, 10:06 PM
But things are so easily lost in the local pub because most of us are lazy and only scan the forum frontpage.

well if it never makes it to the forum front page then we will know that its not a good idea to have a sports category

mgb
23 Nov 2004, 10:09 PM
well if it never makes it to the forum front page then we will know that its not a good idea to have a sports category

Why do you have to be so disagreeable?

This is for the good of 12 (currently) members of mankind.

booyalab
23 Nov 2004, 10:14 PM

why do you have to be so WRONG? mwahahaha

booyalab
23 Nov 2004, 10:15 PM

This is for the good of 12 (currently) members of mankind.

and womankind! (or womanmean in my case )

SheepDog
23 Nov 2004, 10:22 PM
I'm lazy and only scan the new posts.

SheepDog
23 Nov 2004, 10:23 PM
it would be funny if this was an ESTP forum, yes. But we like to weigh the pros and cons of doing something before doing it, even if it takes forever.
It's still funny that we're so predictable.

mgb
23 Nov 2004, 10:25 PM
why do you have to be so WRONG? mwahahaha

Do you have some numbers to prove I am wrong? No. Then I am not wrong. You are wrong. And you smell, bad. That's science you can't argue with that.

booyalab
23 Nov 2004, 10:27 PM
Do you have some numbers to prove I am wrong? No. Then I am not wrong. You are wrong. And you smell, bad. That's science you can't argue with that.

anti-perspirant is for the weak

mgb
23 Nov 2004, 10:31 PM
I can't stop laughing.

jimkopelli
23 Nov 2004, 10:36 PM
I don't think enough sports discussions pop up to warrant them having their own section... that might change if the section was created, though... I'd never visit. I'm gonna have to go with Claver on this one.

mgb
23 Nov 2004, 10:38 PM
We could put it in playground (the sports forum) but it might get drowned out by Of Souls...

jimkopelli
23 Nov 2004, 11:07 PM
Would that be so bad?

mgb
23 Nov 2004, 11:24 PM
Yes

crule81
24 Nov 2004, 12:17 AM
why don't we have a trial run and if hardly anyone posts then it will be removed and any posts that were in it can be dumped into local pub or entertainment.

booyalab
24 Nov 2004, 12:24 AM
why don't we have a trial run and if hardly anyone posts then it will be removed and any posts that were in it can be dumped into local pub or entertainment.

I already suggested trial sports threads in local pub.

mgb
24 Nov 2004, 01:12 AM
And 66.67% of people won't even bother looking for the thread on sports.

Or they want to prove boo wrong. hee hee

Avengardh
24 Nov 2004, 03:52 AM
I thought we were minimizing on the forum-sections....

And I don't hate sports, I just don't think we need more sections.

mgb
24 Nov 2004, 04:23 AM
but are the current sections meeting the needs of everyone?

Jezebel
24 Nov 2004, 06:30 AM
I thought we were minimizing on the forum-sections....

And I don't hate sports, I just don't think we need more sections.

I still agree. I usually check the "new posts" page for new threads, but sometimes I go back later and browse the forum section by section for threads I missed, and I do not want more barely active sections to check.

but are the current sections meeting the needs of everyone?

Needs??? It's just a forum. We can sign up and post, and that's all that's necessary. As far as every individual being pleased with the forum being exactly the way they want it, it's never going to happen.

There is nothing stopping anyone from posting a thread on ANY subject. There is no warning up on this forum that says if there isn't a subforum for something, you aren't allowed to talk about it. I see less than 5 new posts per day related to sports, I do not want to have a whole new forum to check for 5 posts or less a day, therefore I don't like the idea of a new sports forum being made.

This isn't because I hate sports. In fact, if sports threads were popular here I would be all for creating a forum just for them so they wouldn't be clogging up my view in the other forums. I'm just arguing against for consistency.

mgb
24 Nov 2004, 07:25 AM
Needs??? It's just a forum. We can sign up and post, and that's all that's necessary. As far as every individual being pleased with the forum being exactly the way they want it, it's never going to happen.

There is nothing stopping anyone from posting a thread on ANY subject. There is no warning up on this forum that says if there isn't a subforum for something, you aren't allowed to talk about it. I see less than 5 new posts per day related to sports, I do not want to have a whole new forum to check for 5 posts or less a day, therefore I don't like the idea of a new sports forum being made.

This isn't because I hate sports. In fact, if sports threads were popular here I would be all for creating a forum just for them so they wouldn't be clogging up my view in the other forums. I'm just arguing against for consistency.

I know, I was really just egging booyalab on (see the prove booyalab wrong thread in the local pub).

Just for fun.

I might just say though that the reason there are so few sports posts is because they are so easily lost on the local pub or playground or whatever.

I don't think its super important either to be honest, I just like arguing. But I also don't think that its putting everyone out to have it on the main page. Even if there is only a few posts a day its not going to drive you nuts to have to look at when scanning the main page. As well, it is just another way for INTPs to interact. Its not that we are all sporty or not sporty, some people are. Some people like to spend Sunday watching football, some don't.

I guess I would look at it like this. If you pick up a newspaper what sections is it going to have? I think we pretty much have everything but sports covered on the site. Which is great, but someone is asking for a sports section and I don't think they are out of line asking for it.

Jezebel
24 Nov 2004, 08:21 AM
I might just say though that the reason there are so few sports posts is because they are so easily lost on the local pub or playground or whatever.

If people were interested enough in sports, the threads would be made anyway. If people are too lazy/don't care enough to make threads and seek threads out that interest them, then I don't pity them when they don't get their own subforum.

But I also don't think that its putting everyone out to have it on the main page. Even if there is only a few posts a day its not going to drive you nuts to have to look at when scanning the main page. As well, it is just another way for INTPs to interact. Its not that we are all sporty or not sporty, some people are. Some people like to spend Sunday watching football, some don't.

It does annoy me when I have to click on extra forums for just a few posts a day. No, it wouldn't bother me if there was only one forum like that, but it does bother me when we have a lot of forums like that.

I guess I would look at it like this. If you pick up a newspaper what sections is it going to have? I think we pretty much have everything but sports covered on the site. Which is great, but someone is asking for a sports section and I don't think they are out of line asking for it.

I think the sections of the forum should be based on popular topics the members talk about, not to resemble a newspaper. Sports just haven't been that popular yet. And I never accused anyone of being out of line.

I don't think its super important either to be honest, I just like arguing.

ditto

cloakable
24 Nov 2004, 05:26 PM
Next winter I plan to sign up for snowboarding lessons. If that counts for an extreme sport...
It does indeed, my friend. I can snowboard. Not well, but I can. I prefer mountain biking.

mgb
24 Nov 2004, 08:40 PM
It does annoy me when I have to click on extra forums for just a few posts a day. No, it wouldn't bother me if there was only one forum like that, but it does bother me when we have a lot of forums like that.

ditto

Say you didn't like sports. You probably won't go to the sports forum. I really never go to the section where you can post your writings. I am not super interested in the humanities and I am a better critic than a writer, not something that forum needs. But I don't think we should get rid of it because not everyone uses it, I don't think that is fair to the people who do use it.

So this is what I propose. A new forum under the Life, Universe and Everything section for Sports. All sports and sport related chatter. This would be up for a fixed amount of time (say a week or two) and then we could evaluate its usefulness to the site. If it isn't getting a pre-arranged number of posts then it gets removed. I really don't know what the stats are like for the other forums as far as new threads getting started are but I am sure there is some consistancy and if it falling below the consistancy for the number of threads and posts that you would expect for the other forums then scrap it.

Zero Angel
27 Nov 2004, 02:50 AM
Try clicking on the 'New Posts' text at the top of each page. It will show you only the unread posts. Then you can middle-click(Firefox) on each topic to make it open up in a new window. Thats very efficient.

The thing that bothers me is that the 'sports' topics will constantly be marked as 'unread' and bolded, but since I have no interest in reading them, they just get in the way. There is plenty of sports forums already for that purpose.

mgb
27 Nov 2004, 10:50 AM
I know, but someone felt there was a need for them...

I don't feel that they will get in the way so much...

I also think that the calibre of discussion here is much higher than someone might find on a general sports forum and it might be nice for the INTP members to have some "logical" sports debate.

I just think that we cover so much here, and so well ,that sports might get lost in the shuffle for some people that might really enjoy the conversation.

crule81
27 Nov 2004, 09:35 PM
I also think that the calibre of discussion here is much higher than someone might find on a general sports forum and it might be nice for the INTP members to have some "logical" sports debate.

Exactly.

INTrPosr
28 Nov 2004, 02:34 AM
Amen...... I am trying to consider the worse case scenario for the BCS. Clearly Utah and Boise State have no business in the running, but I would hope that a scenario occurs where Oklahoma, USC and Auburn make it difficult. Since I am from Oklahoma, I can say that the only team that could come close to OU in the Big XII would be Colorado. Missouri made that happen today. Go Buffs!! However, as I type this, Notre Dame is pumped for the game. MAKE THE DAMN FORUM ALREADY!

Spartan26
29 Nov 2004, 02:38 AM
Amen...... I am trying to consider the worse case scenario for the BCS. Clearly Utah and Boise State have no business in the running, but I would hope that a scenario occurs where Oklahoma, USC and Auburn make it difficult. Since I am from Oklahoma, I can say that the only team that could come close to OU in the Big XII would be Colorado.

I'd actually like to see Utah in a BCS bowl, not the championship bowl but one of the top four. I think they might have a fairly decent squad all-around. It's not going to be fair. It would've been nice if USC lost yesterday and OU & AUburn both lost their conf champ game. If they had left the bowls alone, we would've been guaranteed three great bowls on New Years Day. Now, who knows.

mgb
12 Dec 2004, 11:19 PM
OK, in further to this thread I did some research over the past week. Actually I just did research on two days, the 4th and the 12th.

I wanted to look at how many new threads each forum got and how many posts were made over the week, especially in light of the laboratory forum that popped up and how seemlessly that happened given some of the criticisms of the sports forum.

Here are the results.
Numbers are sorted by threads and posts respectively.
introductions 9 139
suggestion box 3 15
the laboratory 5 29

people and psychology 19 350
gender studies 5 132
online tests 3 51
psychology links 2 24

entertainment 6 122
geeky gadgets 6 49
science 0 84
philosophy and spirituality 4 107
the atelier 2 31
the local pub 13 214
web links 3 33
playground 5 122

the world 3 93
rants and raves 6 122
mature audience 0 47

OK, that is the numbers I got (as bad as the spacing probably is, FC is genius at posting screen shots, I am not). Some forums seem to get used a lot more than others but I think this gives a great perspective on how many posts a "successful" new forum should have. I can understand the resistance to this...not everyone is interested in sports...but I can't program shit and there is a forum for that. In no way am I trying to take away from the site or suggest that anything be removed I just think that the numbers and many of the arguments on posts above suggest that there is room for this forum on here at very least on a trial basis.

Groty
12 Dec 2004, 11:27 PM
That was tedious!:)

Claverhouse
13 Dec 2004, 01:01 AM
Give them the damn forum, please. At least it'll isolate this particular form of pathological illness...

We need lots more fora anyway. Classification is our friend.

Claverhouse :ph34r:

file cabinet
13 Dec 2004, 02:34 AM
I wanted to look at how many new threads each forum got and how many posts were made over the week, especially in light of the laboratory forum that popped up and how seemlessly that happened given some of the criticisms of the sports forum.

The Laboratory is what will aid in the continued existence of this forum as a whole.

mgb
13 Dec 2004, 04:12 AM
I think the Laboratory is great for you guys (and the rest of us by extension), I have no problem with it. A lot of people were saying that adding one more forum would be too much and it would clutter up the frontpage. The Laboratory showed that one more forum wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back.

file cabinet
13 Dec 2004, 04:25 AM
I think the Laboratory is great for you guys (and the rest of us by extension), I have no problem with it. A lot of people were saying that adding one more forum would be too much and it would clutter up the frontpage. The Laboratory showed that one more forum wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back.

too true, anyway, I pm'd Ngene after I made that post earlier(she is the one who usually adds the forums).

mgb
13 Dec 2004, 04:38 AM
too true, anyway, I pm'd Ngene after I made that post earlier(she is the one who usually adds the forums).

Thanks FC.

NGene
13 Dec 2004, 12:59 PM
Feh.

Fine, you've got your beloved sports category. It'll have a three week trial, and if there is enough interest, it'll stay. And no, I won't publicly tell what defines "enough interest." ;P

athman
13 Dec 2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks NGene. Yippee, something new to play with.

Groty
13 Dec 2004, 03:05 PM
Feh.
I won't publicly tell what defines "enough interest." ;P
:rofl:

mgb
13 Dec 2004, 05:20 PM
Feh.

Fine, you've got your beloved sports category. It'll have a three week trial, and if there is enough interest, it'll stay. And no, I won't publicly tell what defines "enough interest." ;P

Thanks NGene :)

Clara
13 Dec 2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks NGene :)
Thanks for all the rest of it, all you forum-shepherds. :)

( ;) but about sports, that would fall under Rants, would it? *ducking and running away*)

NGene
14 Dec 2004, 12:18 AM
Thanks for all the rest of it, all you forum-shepherds. :)
Thank you.

( ;) but about sports, that would fall under Rants, would it? *ducking and running away*)
:rofl: