PDA

View Full Version : Popular Music in 3/4 Time

Hustler
8 Oct 2006, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know some examples of popular music (meaning not classical or jazz) which is written in 3/4 time or perhaps 6/8 time? One of our newbies, agp, mentioned Caribbean Blue in her intro thread, which is a good example. Another example is one of my favorite songs, Between the Bars by Elliott Smith. He did numerous other songs in 3/4 time as well, Miss Misery probably most famous among them. I think Asleep by The Smiths also fits the bill, as do This Place is a Prison by The Postal Service and Strange and Beautiful by Aqualung. Lonely Day by System of a Down is in 6/8 time, which I also enjoy, though not quite as much as 3/4. If I'm not mistaken, Scarborough Fair is also in 6/8 time as well, as is the relatively obscure song Spanish Air by Slowdive. Maybe Fade Into You by Mazzy Star and Silver and Cold by AFI as well.

Looking back over this list, it seems that the 3/4 and 6/8 time signatures are well suited to melancholy music. Perhaps that is why I find them appealing. I wonder why that is that they're especially suited to this kind of music? If anyone knows of more tunes, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to try to compile a big play list of such music.

venerationOFrabbits
8 Oct 2006, 04:00 PM
Tom Waits is good for this. Too bad he's not all that popular.

Fiona Apple has a nice song on her latest CD Extraordinary Machine titled Waltz.

Deckard
8 Oct 2006, 04:06 PM
everybody hurts - REM

I'm sure there are millions of these, but i can't really be bothered looking at the moment.

Why are you compiling this list?

Hustler
8 Oct 2006, 04:09 PM
everybody hurts - REM

I'm sure there are millions of these, but i can't really be bothered looking at the moment.

Why are you compiling this list?

I would say that 3/4 or 6/8 songs are about 1% as common as 4/4 songs in popular music. Don't ask why. I just am.

venerationOFrabbits
8 Oct 2006, 04:09 PM
Fluffy post to mark my 400th post.

I dare to fluff in Hustler's general direction. --Leaps away--

meshou
8 Oct 2006, 04:18 PM
Three Libras by A Perfect Circle is, I believe. In fact, Mer De Noms may be mostly 3/4, and probably never in 4/4.

earwax
8 Oct 2006, 05:04 PM
Pink Floyd's Mother is an odd one. The verses are 2 bars of 3/4 followed by 1 bar of 2/4 (i.e. 1 - 2 - 3 / 1 - 2 - 3 / 1 - 2 / 1 - 2 - 3 / 1 - 2 - 3 / 1 - 2)

But the chorus is strict 3/4.

Arcturus
8 Oct 2006, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure about whole songs. I'll have to think about it. I do know some songs that have 3/4 sections, though.

-the verses of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

-the bridge of We Can Work it Out

Actually come to think of it I think Dylan's Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands is in 3/4 time.

earwax
8 Oct 2006, 05:13 PM
You could mine the Bob Dylan catalog and proably find quite a few. "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" and "The Times They are A'Changing" immediately leap to mind.

bclark619g
8 Oct 2006, 05:15 PM
From The New Eagles Complete published by Warner Bros. 1995, these songs are in 3/4 time:

Take It to the Limit
Saturday Night
Hollywood Waltz
Pretty Maids All in a Row
Teenage Jail

earwax
8 Oct 2006, 05:41 PM
The Beatles "She's Leaving Home", "I Dig A Pony" and "Baby's In Black" all have that waltz feel to them.

Jim Croce's "Time In A Bottle".

A quick scan through several music books seems to confirm your suspicion. Anything other than 4/4 is rather uncommon in popular music.

EDIT: Joe Cocker's version of "With A Little Help From My Friends" is in 3/4.

Arcturus
9 Oct 2006, 12:12 AM
The Beatles "She's Leaving Home", "I Dig A Pony" and "Baby's In Black" all have that waltz feel to them.
Yeah, Baby's In Black is like a hard waltz. Another Beatles song in 3/4 is I Me Mine.

Meliora
9 Oct 2006, 01:26 AM
Maybe Fade Into You by Mazzy Star and Silver and Cold by AFI as well.

I haven't heard it in a while, but I think "Silver and Cold" is in 4/4 the whole song. It could be thought of as 6/8 during the verse with the guitar playing triplets, but the drum beat and the bass timing(with the bass playing all the down beats of a 4/4 signature if I remember right) lead me to think that the members of AFI are writing the song with 4/4 in mind, so to speak. Hell, you could even think of it as 2 bars of 2/4 depending on how you count it.

It's like counting 7/4 as 14/8, ooorrr as a bar of 3/4 followed by a bar of 4/4.

(^^^ This kind of thinking always happens when I listen to Tool and try to count the signature(s).)

earwax
9 Oct 2006, 01:33 AM
It's like counting 7/4 as 14/8, ooorrr as a bar of 3/4 followed by a bar of 4/4.
Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill is a good example of 7/4 time which can be counted as alternating bars of 3/4 and 4/4.

Conan
9 Oct 2006, 01:38 AM
Waltz #2 by Elliott Smith

Marston
9 Oct 2006, 04:45 AM
This should interest you: http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/35004

This topic reminds me of the time I spent an afternoon on Last.Fm tagging a list of songs "quintuple meter".

Pan
9 Oct 2006, 09:27 AM
A couple more Simon & Garfunkel tunes: Old Friends, Song for the Asking

Jethro Tull: Nursie, Wond'ring Aloud, Life's a Long Song (basically)
REM: Last Date (instrumental), Try Not to Breathe
Genesis: Entangled

Any song with the word waltz. jig or minuet in the title

Almost every popular song around the turn of the last century (Darling Clementine, Bicycle Built for Two - all that shit, and I'd lump all the Viennese waltzes in there as well). It wasn't until the waltz fell out of favour that the current tyranny of 4/4 began.

Edit to add: Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years

sbw
9 Oct 2006, 12:57 PM
jimi hendrix--manic depression

Scott

last_caress
9 Oct 2006, 02:04 PM
Drive Like Jehu - Luau
Lush - De-Luxe
The Dead Milkmen - The Badger Song
George Throughgood - Bad to the Bone
The Pixies - There Goes My Gun
Rodan - The Everyday World of Bodies
Santo & Johnny - Sleepwalk
Sparta - Cut Your Ribbon

The Cranes - Pale Blue Sky (5/4)

earwax
9 Oct 2006, 02:22 PM
This should interest you: http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/35004

This topic reminds me of the time I spent an afternoon on Last.Fm tagging a list of songs "quintuple meter".
Something I have wondered for a while. Does a shuffle beat count as 3 time?

Example: According to the printed sheet music The Beatles' Baby's In Black is in 12/8 and it is a waltz - no doubt.

Bob Dylan's Watching The River Flow is also in 12/8, but to my ears it sounds like a shuffle in 4/4.

Pan
9 Oct 2006, 04:30 PM
Something I have wondered for a while. Does a shuffle beat count as 3 time?

Bob Dylan's Watching The River Flow is also in 12/8, but to my ears it sounds like a shuffle in 4/4.

The convention is this: 2/4 and 6/8 are duple, 3/4 and 9/8 are triple, and 4/4 and 12/8 are quadruple. The subdivisions change the feel, but don't change the basic pulse.

Obviously there are many borderline cases where it's not clear which level is the beat

And: Police - Synchronicity I

last_caress
10 Oct 2006, 05:27 AM
Any song with the word waltz. jig or minuet in the title

Uhuh.

Exodus - Toxic Waltz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpTeKP9z-yE)

Lurker
10 Oct 2006, 05:35 AM
:offtopic:

Most of the songs and musicians mentioned are favorites of mine, and it's gratifying to find that someone appreciates "Scarborough Fair" and Paul Simon.

Hint, Hint: Paul Simon is a fantastic role model for INFPs looking to live up to their potential.

Rajah
10 Oct 2006, 05:39 AM
Here's a website listing songs not in 4/4:

http://aufrecht.org/songs/?time%5ffilter=3%2f4&page=1&orderby=date%5fadded%2cdesc

I actually have a love/hate relationship with songs in 7/4 (Money, anyone?). I appreciate it, but it feels unfinished. Drives me batty.

Pan
10 Oct 2006, 02:35 PM
Uhuh.

Exodus - Toxic Waltz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpTeKP9z-yE)

I stand corrected.

Any song not by this guy: :banghead:

jyakulis
10 Oct 2006, 06:40 PM
just about every rush song pretty much goes to 3/4 at one point during the song.

Umbrosia
12 Oct 2006, 12:19 AM
I'm listening to Don't Cry by Seal and it's in 6/8.

qsr6063
12 Oct 2006, 01:00 AM
White Hot - Red Rider (aka Tom Cochrane).

6/8 is my favorite time signature!

earwax
12 Oct 2006, 03:09 AM
Elvis Costello's New Amsterdam - 3/4.

Since we've been uncovering odd time signatures along the way - I just recently noticed that Jethro Tull's Living In The Past is in 5/4.

And if anyone can tell me what time signature The Beatles' Good Morning is in, I'll buy them a beer. It jumps all over the place, but feels perfectly natural.

Deckard
12 Oct 2006, 03:32 AM
And if anyone can tell me what time signature The Beatles' Good Morning is in, I'll buy them a beer. It jumps all over the place, but feels perfectly natural.

I couldn't pick out any one time signature, i have to agree that it jumps all over. In wiki-ing it, i encountered a few i hadn't heard of...65/16 for instance. :blink:

"Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, IL" by Sufjan Stevens - (18+17+17+13)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_in_irregular_time_signatures#65.2F16

I love sufjan stevens. :wub:

Arcturus
13 Oct 2006, 04:27 PM
Okay, I have a question. How can you tell if a song is in 6/8 versus 3/4 time?

Arcturus
13 Oct 2006, 04:32 PM
According to Alan Pollack, the time signature is:

4/4 in intro, bridge and outro;
anything but predictable in verse

The website is

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-alphabet.shtml

He analyzes all the Beatles' songs from a musicological/technical standpoint. It's really interesting.

earwax
13 Oct 2006, 04:43 PM
I couldn't pick out any one time signature, i have to agree that it jumps all over. In wiki-ing it, i encountered a few i hadn't heard of...65/16 for instance. :blink:

65/16 :wtf: That's a new one on me.

According to Alan Pollack, the time signature is:

4/4 in intro, bridge and outro;
anything but predictable in verse

The website is

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-alphabet.shtml

He analyzes all the Beatles' songs from a musicological/technical standpoint. It's really interesting.
:cheers:

I know how to play the song, but I had to learn it by playing along and getting the feel for the changes. I love blowing people's minds with it in an acoustic song circle.

And thank you for the Alan Pollack link. I stumbled across that a few years ago and then lost it. It's an excellent resource.

Arcturus
13 Oct 2006, 06:13 PM
I love blowing people's minds with it in an acoustic song circle.
Do you have any recordings of you playing it?

earwax
13 Oct 2006, 07:44 PM
Do you have any recordings of you playing it?
Yes. I've been upgrading PC's and rearranging hard drives, but I have it buried in the archives somewhere. I'll hunt it down.

Arcturus
14 Oct 2006, 03:52 PM
Yes. I've been upgrading PC's and rearranging hard drives, but I have it buried in the archives somewhere. I'll hunt it down.
Great. I'd like to hear it.