PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people watch the same movies over and over?

Dempsey
13 Jan 2007, 01:00 PM
It drives me insane living with people who do this. Everyone else in my family does this, so I've seen it a lot.

Is there a proper psychological reason behind this or are they just friggan mental?

Stoned_Rider
13 Jan 2007, 01:04 PM
Depends. If it's Pulp Fiction, Big Lebowski, Reservoir Dogs, Scarface etc... then I totally understand.

If it's Notting Hill on the other hand, then yes they're friggan mental.

Deckard
13 Jan 2007, 01:06 PM
Some people are comforted by familiarity - might be the reason for this. Usually i'm bored watching a movie for the second time unless there's at least a few years between viewings.

Dempsey
13 Jan 2007, 01:07 PM
When younger my brother would watch 'back to the future2' about 6 times in a week. Possible more. This went on for ages. Baffled (and infuriated) the fuck out of me.

Google Monster
13 Jan 2007, 01:12 PM
For me it works the same way people listen to music to pump themselves up, movies can put me in a certain mood.
I've been putting off something for awhile, I watch Good Will Hunting.
I'm going to start a whole new training like jiu jitsu or just a huge change from my day to day life I go watch Fighter in the Wind or The Last Samurai.
Feel like making a sacrifice for the new change, I watch Rounders.

Dempsey
13 Jan 2007, 01:19 PM
When listening to music do you sit in a chair and strictly listen to only the album? Some people do, but they only listen to an single album once in a rare while, not over and over.

I see your point, but I think music and movies are only loosely tied together.

anu bys
13 Jan 2007, 01:25 PM
If its a good psychological film full of twists and 'head fucks' then i will certainly watch it more than once

Momento
Identity
V for Vendetta
etc.

Deckard
13 Jan 2007, 01:44 PM
When younger my brother would watch 'back to the future2' about 6 times in a week. Possible more. This went on for ages. Baffled (and infuriated) the fuck out of me.
At least he picked a good movie! My younger brother was also a terrible offender at rewatching movies interminably. One of his favourites was The Beverly Hillbillies (the 1993 one (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106400/)). That was painful.

Google Monster
13 Jan 2007, 02:37 PM
When listening to music do you sit in a chair and strictly listen to only the album? Some people do, but they only listen to an single album once in a rare while, not over and over.

I see your point, but I think music and movies are only loosely tied together.
Well for some people they need the music during the workout, I need to pump up to start. So that's the small difference between the musical pump up and the movie pump up. I can and have worked out with classical music and other songs people may call depressing or too relaxing. So music doesn't have the same affect on me as others.

Mixing music and movies, you have to see Garden State, now that's my kind of music. I do at times listen to strictly the album and just lie on my bed or sit down. But thats just when I have something to think about and need to make a decision so it's still multitasking.

Meliora
13 Jan 2007, 06:43 PM
For me it works the same way people listen to music to pump themselves up, movies can put me in a certain mood.
I've been putting off something for awhile, I watch Good Will Hunting.
I'm going to start a whole new training like jiu jitsu or just a huge change from my day to day life I go watch Fighter in the Wind or The Last Samurai.
Feel like making a sacrifice for the new change, I watch Rounders.

Exactly. It's the same idea that has me still reading Calvin and Hobbes books every now and then even though I've read pretty much every strip several times.

CoHo
13 Jan 2007, 07:38 PM
Depends on what you mean by "Watch". I'll put a movie in for background noise if I'm doing something else. I'll even turn the volume down and put in some tapes like I'm making my own little music video.

Then I dance.

Martoon
13 Jan 2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I don't understand repeat viewings of a movie, either. I also don't watch television episode reruns that I've already seen. Occasionally, if there's a movie I especially liked, I'll get friends or family to watch it, and I'll watch with them (kind of an evangelical thing). I believe I've seen Bubbleboy three times for this reason.

To me, it comes down to the fact that movies are produced faster than I watch them, so if I'm going to spend the time watching, it may as well be something I haven't already seen.

Google Monster
13 Jan 2007, 08:03 PM
Another mood setter movie: Thomas Crown Affair :wub:

Madrigal
13 Jan 2007, 11:47 PM
If we're discussing good-quality films, it's always a good idea to watch them many times. I know I really appreciate the editing or camera choices better when I watch a movie several times. I get to figure out how something was filmed, ask myself why it was filmed a particular way. If you're only watching it as a spectator with no intention of analyzing it as art, then I can understand. There are many movies that would fit that category.

There are also movies that you can analyze differently at different ages, just like books.

Also, cultures generally rely on the repetition of familiar stories, myths, traditions. There are some things that we always watch, sing, say, recite, etc., at certain points in our lives (holidays, weekends, reunions, ceremonies). Even as little kids, we enjoyed people telling us the same bedtime stories over and over. It gives us a sense of continuity to preserve these stories as a part of our personal history.

I dont post much
14 Jan 2007, 02:11 AM
sometimes i like to read the same book over and over again

Nighthawk
14 Jan 2007, 02:27 AM
I have no problems watching James Bond movies many times ... or the Dune mini-series.

starla
14 Jan 2007, 02:47 AM
If its a good psychological film full of twists and 'head fucks' then i will certainly watch it more than once

Momento
Identity
V for Vendetta
etc.

These are exactly the kinds of movies I can only watch once. If you already know the twist, watching it a second time is pointless.

I'll watch Zoolander any time it's on, just for the awesome quotes. Ditto for The Big Lebowski.

TheFallandRiseOf
14 Jan 2007, 02:58 AM
I do revisit films which are open to interpretation such as Lars Von Trier's The Idiots and the film I watched last night - Cache (Hidden - Michael Haneke). Or if a film pulls all the right triggers I might revisit it to re-fuel the aesthetic pleasure-tank.

Edit: I find my development in relation to films interesting. The films themselves do not change, but I do, and revisiting them can be insightful. Perhaps I've learnt something in between, perhaps I missed something last time... it's not necessarily the same experience each time.

venerationOFrabbits
14 Jan 2007, 04:37 AM
I like quality movies with details that can't be picked up the first time around, not by me anyway. Half the fun is watching them again and picking up cute little tit-bits I missed here and there.

garak
14 Jan 2007, 04:55 AM
If I see a movie I think is awesome, I get a sort of mental attachment to it, and I love watching it multiple times. When I was a kid I probably watched the first ninja turtles movie 100 times.

Rice-Tactics
14 Jan 2007, 05:27 AM
If the movie is good I can watch it several times and not get sick of it. I think I once watched Saving Private Ryan 3 times in one day. If the movie is crap or it has no meaning to it then I your right it is annoying.

I do the same with music but for specific songs. I may listen to the same song 4-5 times then go to the next one. Sometimes I will make a playlist consisting of 10 songs and I'll just listen to them over and over again until I get bored.

FranG
14 Jan 2007, 05:29 AM
Yeah I don't like to watch movies multiple times, I think that dilutes the quality of movie in your mind if that makes sense. Kinda the same way when you read a good book, then see the movie based off the book. It kinda alters that first magical perception that you had of story. That said, I will revisit a flick when an ample amount of time passes.

Krill
14 Jan 2007, 05:34 AM
Yeah I don't like to watch movies multiple times, I think that dilutes the quality of movie in your mind if that makes sense. Kinda the same way when you read a good book, then see the movie based off the book. It kinda alters that first magical perception that you had of story. That said, I will revisit a flick when an ample amount of time passes.

It depends on the movie. The Seventh Seal has given me more and more each time I've watched it. Sometimes there's more depth and subtlety to a movie than can be covered by the first time.

C.J.Woolf
14 Jan 2007, 05:49 AM
When I was a kid I probably watched the first ninja turtles movie 100 times.
Kids have a much greater desire for repetition. It helps them learn.

There are a couple of films I re-watch because of how they make me feel, like Before Sunrise. (Richard Linklater fucking rocks.)

Jennywocky
14 Jan 2007, 06:10 AM
It drives me insane living with people who do this. Everyone else in my family does this, so I've seen it a lot.

Is there a proper psychological reason behind this or are they just friggan mental?

My daugher has watched Ella Enchanted at least six times this week. I think I shall go insane.

I only watched The Incredibles about ten times, and ever since have had trouble watching it again... and that was one of my few "obsessive" movies.

I watch certain movies (in fact CAN only watch certain movies) repeatedly, if they evoked something within me or I felt a kinship to them. Only a handful of movies is worth repeated viewing, once I have watched them enough to know them fairly well (i.e., am familiar with them).

I can watch Heat, or The Silence of the Lambs, or Alien, or a handful of others repeatedly. For some reason, they simply resonate with me.

I'm not sure how people can watch dumb movies (like Independence Day) over and over.

As a side rant, the whole DVD industry is a real sham -- a fabricated market, meant simply to suck as much money out of the public jugular as possible, while leaving them feeling educated/accomplished because they've put together a collection of videos they can watch whenever they want (and often just leave on the shelf).

attila_the_hunny
14 Jan 2007, 07:21 AM
At least he picked a good movie! My younger brother was also a terrible offender at rewatching movies interminably. One of his favourites was The Beverly Hillbillies (the 1993 one (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106400/)). That was painful.

My brother was susceptible to all the dumb Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey movies, like Happy Gilmore [funny, but not 3x a day]Billy Madison, Ace Ventura, and Dumb and Dumber.

When I was a kid it was Gorillas in the Mist. My parents always tell me I had the whole movie memorized. Sometimes I like to see adultish movies I liked when I was a kid to understand things I couldn't as a child. I bet a kid who watched, say, Shrek, will get some of the jokes the parents thought were funny when they get to be a teenager.

George_McFly
14 Jan 2007, 07:26 AM
I watch the same good movies over and over again instead of the usual Hollywood crap. I don't re-read books that often. Too many good ones I haven't read yet.

eyebyte_atWork
14 Jan 2007, 07:28 AM
I watch the same movies over and over again.

It's a small joy I afford myself. After all I do the same work everyday.

AllAboutSoul
14 Jan 2007, 08:44 AM
My Hubby never tires of Dances with Wolves; The Patriot; pretty much any Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. I agree that the first two are good, but Jeez Louise, enough already.

Spartan26
14 Jan 2007, 08:55 AM
It depends on the movie. The Seventh Seal has given me more and more each time I've watched it. Good heavens, not the Demi Moore movie?! :horror:

Spartan26
14 Jan 2007, 09:20 AM
If we're discussing good-quality films, it's always a good idea to watch them many times. I know I really appreciate the editing or camera choices better when I watch a movie several times. I get to figure out how something was filmed, ask myself why it was filmed a particular way.I think I'm the same way. The first time in I'm usually watching for story development, see how the dialog distinguishes itself from one character to the next, timing plot points, anticipating the direction, choices, etc. I'll also notice shot selection, editing and score but generally the first time in I'm as concerned with all that. Occasionally, if I'm bored and depending on who I'm with, like someone who works in the industry, I'll point out continuity errors and where corners are out of focus.

Some films if I remember much of it by the time I'm seeing them again, I'll try to break down the character arc per story beats. This may even be done with pen and paper. I may also edit in my head. Like, think how I could've gotten out of a scene quicker. If I'm impressed or curious, I'll then try to find the script to see how it was initially drawn up. See if the same tone was conveyed.

There are a few movies that if I'm flipping channels I'll get hooked into them no matter what point. They're ones I'll also pop in to watch from time to time. I can't even claim filmmaking geek because I'm sure I'd be doing it anyway. Like Quiz Show, Clear and Present Danger and Shallow Grave had some really amazing lines that I don't mind hearing over and over again.

Half the fun is watching them again and picking up cute little tit-bits I missed here and there.I think you mean tidbits. Unless you mean freeze framing the movie at critical moments to spot Jennifer Tilly's nipples, then yeah, I'm right there with you.:cool:

anu bys
14 Jan 2007, 01:58 PM
These are exactly the kinds of movies I can only watch once. If you already know the twist, watching it a second time is pointless.

I really just meant uncovering layers of meaning i may have missed first time round, i agree i rarely anticipate a twist i know is coming.

macr0
14 Jan 2007, 02:12 PM
If I see a movie I think is awesome, I get a sort of mental attachment to it, and I love watching it multiple times. When I was a kid I probably watched the first ninja turtles movie 100 times.

Yeap, that's me.

I watch stuff over and over and over.

When I discover something I like, I continuously grill it into my brain until I'm sick of it. I tend to do the same thing with music bands and/or genres.

starla
14 Jan 2007, 04:11 PM
I really just meant uncovering layers of meaning i may have missed first time round, i agree i rarely anticipate a twist i know is coming.

Ah, like noticing details that foretell of the twist? I can see why that would be interesting to people, but I still think watching movies twice is a waste of time. I also won't watch the movie if I've read the book for the same reason (or vice-versa). I watched Apocalypse Now after reading Heart of Darkness and felt totally ripped off. Up until the end, it wasn't completely apparent (to me, anyway) that they were the same story.

MacGuffin
14 Jan 2007, 04:54 PM
Good heavens, not the Demi Moore movie?! :horror:
LOL, that's The Seventh Sign.

C.J.Woolf
15 Jan 2007, 04:30 AM
My Hubby never tires of Dances with Wolves; The Patriot; pretty much any Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. I agree that the first two are good, but Jeez Louise, enough already.
Mrs. Woolf likes the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns even more than I do. :banana:

Spartan26
15 Jan 2007, 06:51 AM
Mrs. Woolf likes the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns even more than I do. :banana:Does she watch Once Upon A Time in the West? What an amazing study in filmmaking. Same director as A Fist Full of Dollars but probably a better film. Although I'd have to admit I haven't seen it in a while and could probably only watch it once a year, I know I wouldn't rebel come screening time.

MasterMerk
15 Jan 2007, 12:17 PM
My mother watches the same romantic comedies over and over. Oh Jeebus, please someone rescue her from her dull life already. :(

INTrePid
15 Jan 2007, 12:44 PM
Because it's so hard to find a good movie nowadays. Just keep watching the good ones until you can find another.

Google Monster
15 Jan 2007, 01:32 PM
Oh yeah, when cable was out and limited amount of DVD's in the house. We watched Kung Pow like 2 times a day for like 3 months straight. When I first watched that movie I thought it was the worst movie ever. But it grew on me and it's now definitely one of my favorite movies.

FuelShopTech
15 Jan 2007, 03:02 PM
Because it's so hard to find a good movie nowadays. Just keep watching the good ones until you can find another.

Precisely. I've watched every episode of "The X-Files" (except the crappy ones where Mulder and Scully write love notes to each other) at least 500 times. Same with "South Park" and "Homicide: Life on the Street."

C.J.Woolf
15 Jan 2007, 07:10 PM
Does she watch Once Upon A Time in the West? What an amazing study in filmmaking. Same director as A Fist Full of Dollars but probably a better film. Although I'd have to admit I haven't seen it in a while and could probably only watch it once a year, I know I wouldn't rebel come screening time.
Neither of us has seen it. I understand it has Henry Fonda playing a bad guy. It ought to be worth it for that alone. Thanks for the recommendation.

Spartan26
17 Jan 2007, 04:26 AM
Neither of us has seen it. I understand it has Henry Fonda playing a bad guy. It ought to be worth it for that alone. Thanks for the recommendation.
It is a long film but there were quite a few subtle things I enjoyed.

CreativeChaos
17 Jan 2007, 05:15 AM
I watch my favorite movies over and over again. Why? To suck all of the feeling juice out of it.

I will even rewatch a single scene over and over again. Like I watched and rewatched and memorized the scene in "Philidelphia" where Tom Hanks was the gay man dying. He was with Denzel Washington in his apartment, and was listening to an opera. The point where he starts talking about the opera and what it was saying was so lushishly, deeply emotionally stirring.

Also, in Brave Heart, I'd rewatch the scene where Mel comes to the French Princess (married to the English Prince) over and over again. That was sooooo romantic. :sigh:

Some of the many movies I've watched over and over: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Predjudice (the older version), Anne of Avonlee and Anne of Green Gables. Really the list is long.

AllAboutSoul
17 Jan 2007, 05:48 AM
Fuel Shop Tech: I loved Homicide Life on the Street. It was my favorite show on tv.

CC: I own both of the Anne of Green Gables. Two of my favorites.

I also really loved The Secret Garden. (the one with Maggie Smith) Exec. Producer: Francis Ford Coppola. There were so many different ones, I think.