PDA

View Full Version : Strange INTJ obsessions

songbird36
13 Dec 2007, 08:37 AM
At the moment I have a J-like obsession with budgeting and commuter bus and train timetables. My aim is to shave about 20% off my weekly spend (and about the same off my commuter spend and/or travel time). I've spent hours trying to manipulate budget items to suit my new (and reduced means), but it just ain't working.

Currently I have a weekly income that won't work with my budget, and a 3-stage, hour long commute each day that is driving me nuts.

Anyway, felt good to get that obsession off my chest.

Limey
13 Dec 2007, 09:13 AM
I'm obsessed with disaster preparedness/recovery.
Water purification, canned goods, generator, petrol, sterno, space blankets, water, batteries, radios, alternate fuel light and communication. I have it all.

I'll be checking a few more things off the list after hearing about 1M without power. Fuck that. Last time we had an ice storm with three day power loss, I was probably living better than normal - I started grilling all the meat and had light and TV operating within the hour. I'll never forget the time I couldn't make coffee without power, that pretty much started it - I didn't even really want it, I just didn't want my autonomy messed with.

songbird36
13 Dec 2007, 09:31 AM
I'm obsessed with disaster preparedness/recovery.
Water purification, canned goods, generator, petrol, sterno, space blankets, water, batteries, radios, alternate fuel light and communication. I have it all.

Hey that's way cool. Another mini-obsession for me at the moment is composting/organic vegetable growing. I'm reading everything about composting and soil science I can lay my hands on (well..anything written in dummy non-science jargon anyway). And when I grow vegetables they have to be HUGE...slow, incremental growth is never good enough for me. Hence I have hatched a plan to buy or build a glasshouse in the near future..

rainfall
13 Dec 2007, 09:48 AM
weirdos.

DHuge
13 Dec 2007, 11:04 AM
On my Facebook page, I installed a jigsaw puzzle application to make some of my artwork into puzzles so people would actually interact with them. But then, they started a ranking system for how good you are at solving puzzles, and now I'm obsessed with getting a high ranking. I used to suck at puzzles, but I'm getting good now. Because god forbid I be considered inadequate at something I was somewhat vaguely involved in. I hate that impulse in myself. Anyway, jigsaw puzzles. And I hate them.

Wolf
13 Dec 2007, 11:35 AM
I can relate to the preparedness thing and in the past I wanted a greenhouse (still do, eventually, when I build my ultimate remote hideaway).

Karl
13 Dec 2007, 12:13 PM
A friend has told me, at different times, that I'm obsessed about Russia, Communism, different brands of Science, the News, and various computer games. Maybe it's not that I'm obsessed but that I have interests?

If you have multiple obsessions are they still obsessions? I'm wondering how many "mini-obsessions" you really have.

Hustler
13 Dec 2007, 12:23 PM
I think it's strange unfortunate that so many INTJs are obsessed with INTP Central.

Lateralus
13 Dec 2007, 05:21 PM
I'm not an INTJ, but for many purchases I'll research almost endlessly. I spent 15+ hours researching HDTVs for my father when he was considering a purchase. I spent a good 5-6 hours researching memory foam before I finally bought some for my bed. Those are just two recent examples.

Hdier
13 Dec 2007, 06:29 PM
Go to intjforum.com, click on 'general psychology' and click on 'How extreme are you?'.

And if you were wondering, yes I am the same Hdier from over there.

Limey
13 Dec 2007, 06:31 PM
Go to intjforum.com, click on 'general psychology' and click on 'How extreme are you?'.

sha'n't.

Toonia
13 Dec 2007, 06:38 PM
Late last summer I became obsessed with building and designing this little number complete with lighting. It took many hours of excruciatingly detailed work. It uses Hogwarts picture tiles, foam core board, and Hamtaro figures. It includes an art gallery, kitchen facilities, a library, and a greenhouse. I built all the furniture myself. :smooch:

I think this proves once and for all my INTJness

C.J.Woolf
13 Dec 2007, 07:42 PM
Late last summer I became obsessed with building and designing this little number complete with lighting. It took many hours of excruciatingly detailed work. It uses Hogwarts picture tiles, foam core board, and Hamtaro figures. It includes an art gallery, kitchen facilities, a library, and a greenhouse. I built all the furniture myself. :smooch:
I LOVE IT!*

*Except the Hamtaros, which seriously creep me out. Brr.

outmywindow
13 Dec 2007, 07:55 PM
I'm not an INTJ, but for many purchases I'll research almost endlessly. I spent 15+ hours researching HDTVs for my father when he was considering a purchase. I spent a good 5-6 hours researching memory foam before I finally bought some for my bed. Those are just two recent examples.

I do the same thing and so does my ENTP father. I think at some point being a smart shopper transcends type. ;)

eyebyte_atWork
13 Dec 2007, 08:00 PM
I do the same thing and so does my ENTP father. I think at some point being a smart shopper transcends type. ;)

More correctly - Type is a general tendency definition - not a every case thing.

Nothing mentioned so far has seemed particularly J-ish to me.

A J-ish example would be not only attempting to be the best at something - but making sure no-one else is. Two pronged method for achieving one's goals.

I know that many here like the idea that a P's seems lazy - but in fact many P's (INTP's in particular) can become passionate about something and even seem obsessed. But the INTJ would also look into protecting their efforts from others - thereby controlling the outcome.

Yes - we are evil.

songbird36
13 Dec 2007, 08:13 PM
I think it's strange unfortunate that so many INTJs are obsessed with INTP Central.

Or, indeed, that so many INTPs are compulsively attracted to threads in the Vomitorium ;)

Can we please not turn this into a theoretical discussion of the nature of obsession? I want to hear about some genuinely weird practices amongst us :)

eyebyte_atWork
13 Dec 2007, 08:15 PM
Or, indeed, that so many INTPs are compulsively attracted to threads in the Vomitorium ;)

Can we please not turn this into a theoretical discussion of the nature of obsession? I want to hear about some genuinely weird practices amongst us :)

Here's one. INTJ's , from what I can tell, tend to be more discrete/secretive.

songbird36
13 Dec 2007, 08:17 PM

Yeah I do that too. Anything involving furniture, electronics, garden supplies or equipment, or flights and travel - for most of these I would average about 3 days (on and off) spent in online and "phone" research. What drives this for me, I think, is a hatred of wasting money, not necessarily a desire to get the best quality product..

Ptah
13 Dec 2007, 08:23 PM
Am I allowed to post here? *looks around, budges in*

I have a few INTJ friends IRL. What I've noticed is that they both, in their own way, tend to emulate a much more ES social creature for the admitted purpose of watching people do stupid things in the groups they blend into. IE, advocate drunken antics at parties (while remaining sober themselves), hoist a facade that lulls people into making honest, embarassing statements, and other tactics that are for the sheer sport of manipulating people for their own entertainment. Here's the killer: they even go so far as to admit it to their otherwise unwitting subjects, straigtht up and direct, only to be laughingly dismissed as "no, no, you couldn't possibly be that evil/mean/manipulative", as if the INTJ was joking!?

I'm not saying I object to this (In fact, I am rather entertained by it/ its on the list of reasons why I respect INTJs). A few INTJs I know less well seem to carry on in similar fashion, even if not for the overt knowing goal of manipulating people for sport -- but they do tend to frame themselves in a way that lulls people into false security around them... and derive some entertainment from it?

songbird36
13 Dec 2007, 08:26 PM
Am I allowed to post here? *looks around, budges in*

I have a few INTJ friends IRL. What I've noticed is that they both, in their own way, tend to emulate a much more ES social creature for the admitted purpose of watching people do stupid things in the groups they blend into. IE, advocate drunken antics at parties (while remaining sober themselves), hoist a facade that lulls people into making honest, embarassing statements, and other tactics that are for the sheer sport of manipulating people for their own entertainment. Here's the killer: they even go so far as to admit it to their otherwise unwitting subjects, straigtht up and direct, only to be laughingly dismissed as "no, no, you couldn't possibly be that evil/mean/manipulative", as if the INTJ was joking!?

I'm not saying I object to this (In fact, I am rather entertained by it/ its on the list of reasons why I respect INTJs). A few INTJs I know less well seem to carry on in similar fashion, even if not for the overt knowing goal of manipulating people for sport -- but they do tend to frame themselves in a way that lulls people into false security around them... and derive some entertainment from it?

And what's all this got to do with the topic? :P

*considers imposing INTP ban*

Ptah
13 Dec 2007, 08:30 PM

:mellow: *backs toward the door*

I look at it as an "obsession". They pursue it with seeming irrational basis and frequency?

*escapes*

SilentlyHonest
13 Dec 2007, 08:35 PM

This strikes me as odd. How did Hdier know what was going on at INTPc? Was he lurking, or is someone a snitch?

... Hdier, take Ptah with you.

outmywindow
13 Dec 2007, 09:04 PM
:mellow: *backs toward the door*

I look at it as an "obsession". They pursue it with seeming irrational basis and frequency?

*escapes*

Pfft, like she can do anything about it.

Oh, and after reading the description of your friends, I think maybe we know the same INTJ people.

Ptah
13 Dec 2007, 09:15 PM
Oh, and after reading the description of your friends, I think maybe we know the same INTJ people.

Haha. Well, maybe I'm on to something then.

More to songbird's liking, perhaps, I shall proceed onto something more easily identifiable as "obsessions" in the INTJs I know.

This may be trite/needless to say, but I have found my INTJ friends are media hoarders extraordinaire. Media as in books, cds, movies, etc. One of my INTJ friends has a profane number of books (we all dread having to help him move), like wall-slaying double-stacked, books piled on top, around and between bookshelves, etc. Crates and crates of CDs, too. Another INTJ friend has a whole datacenter's worth of servers and hardware (oh, and a small library of books, and a movie wall rivalling blockbuster).

Don't get me wrong, I have my fair share of books and CDs, but jeez these guys make me look like I'm standing still. One INTJ friend as much as admitted some of it might be compulsive "habit" to accumulate this stuff?

*poised ready to escape*

songbird36
13 Dec 2007, 09:24 PM
This may be trite/needless to say, but I have found my INTJ friends are media hoarders extraordinaire. Media as in books, cds, movies, etc. One of my INTJ friends has a profane number of books (we all dread having to help him move), like wall-slaying double-stacked, books piled on top, around and between bookshelves, etc. Crates and crates of CDs, too. Another INTJ friend has a whole datacenter's worth of servers and hardware (oh, and a small library of books, and a movie wall rivalling blockbuster).
[/SIZE]

I'm probably the opposite of this - I tend to throw away more than to hoard. This could be because I've lived in 8 different houses over the past 10 years, rather than being INTJ as such, but I actually find myself feeling quite depressed if I end up with a whole lot of accumulated junk that I can't get rid of quickly enough..

Ptah
13 Dec 2007, 09:31 PM
I'm probably the opposite of this - I tend to throw away more than to hoard. This could be because I've lived in 8 different houses over the past 10 years, rather than being INTJ as such, but I actually find myself feeling quite depressed if I end up with a whole lot of accumulated junk that I can't get rid of quickly enough..

I guess I was wrong to invoke the word "hoard".

The INTJs I know seem rather proud and deliberate about their collections, although the one I've spoken with about it in passing has admitted to no some non-small amount of "obsession". And it's not like they accumulate any and every book, CD, etc. Each seems chosen according to fairly well-defined standards, and has it's place in the whole. Aside from these media vaults, I have not observed INTJs I know to be particularly "hoard"-prone . In fact, apart from the mammoth bookshelves and such, their homes are fairly spartan (read:no "junk").

Perhaps my posts here are not quite a fit for the topic, I realize. Perhaps you were looking for more overt, non-trait-borne actions?

eyebyte_atWork
13 Dec 2007, 09:41 PM

The INTJs I know seem rather proud and deliberate about their collections, although the one I've spoken with about it in passing has admitted to no some non-small amount of "obsession". And it's not like they accumulate any and every book, CD, etc. Each seems chosen according to fairly well-defined standards, and has it's place in the whole. Aside from these media vaults, I have not observed INTJs I know to be particularly "hoard"-prone . In fact, apart from the mammoth bookshelves and such, their homes are fairly spartan (read:no "junk").

Perhaps my posts here are not quite a fit for the topic, I realize. Perhaps you were looking for more overt, non-trait-borne actions?

Guilty as charged

I have every book I got in college - and a few alternate I got for historical perspective. When it comes to media - I never throw it out.

eyebyte_atWork
13 Dec 2007, 09:42 PM

For me - I will throw away junk and good things - but not books. Never books.

I will kill to keep these books.

songbird36
13 Dec 2007, 09:43 PM

No it's OK - please continue ;)

Yes I think carefully chosen items (all with a purpose or reason for collection) are a very INTJ trait. I regularly cull/add to my CD collection with this principle in mind.

Limey
13 Dec 2007, 09:52 PM
For me - I will throw away junk and good things - but not books. Never books.

I will kill to keep these books.

Funny, I was just saying this to someone from the forum last week, because of all the old IT books I have, like MCSE and Exchange 5.

Throwing a book away is just wrong, reeks of ignorance, unless the book contains disinformation which is objectively proven.

songbird36
13 Dec 2007, 10:04 PM
Funny, I was just saying this to someone from the forum last week, because of all the old IT books I have, like MCSE and Exchange 5.

Throwing a book away is just wrong, reeks of ignorance, unless the book contains disinformation which is objectively proven.

OK, I need some clarity here. Why hoard books you will probably never read again? That doesn't seem INTJ-ish, unless you plan to lend them to others, there is some sentimental attachment to the books, or else you just want to be able to show off how well-read you are to new friends, etc.

Explain the rationale please :)

Limey
13 Dec 2007, 10:12 PM
OK, I need some clarity here. Why hoard books you will probably never read again? That doesn't seem INTJ-ish, unless you plan to lend them to others, there is some sentimental attachment to the books, or else you just want to be able to show off how well-read you are to new friends, etc.

The rationale is just a simple rule that it's wrong to burn books, which is what ultimately happens if trashed, (I don't even trust my recycling is actually recycled - WM have been fined locally three times, recently).

I also don't have friends over to the house that would normally see them (or friends over to the house).

When they're ridiculously out of date, I will have to put them in a plastic container under the house or try donating them. I still have all my early teenage Paul Zindel and Robert Cormier books on the same shelves. My children will be old enough to read them if I keep them just a fifth longer than how long I've already had them.
No sentiment, just a long term firewall rule.

eyebyte_atWork
13 Dec 2007, 10:16 PM

For me at least - I possess the knowledge - and the source. Even if its old.

...and possess the knowledge gained by people before me. I never show them off as Merlin the Magician never shows his secret magic books. But knowing they are handy is comforting - in case I have to cast magic missile or something.

songbird36
13 Dec 2007, 10:17 PM
The rationale is just a simple rule that it's wrong to burn books, which is what ultimately happens if trashed, (I don't even trust my recycling is actually recycled - WM have been fined locally three times, recently).

Yes but why not just sell them or donate them to a charity shop where they can be on-sold? That's what I do with old books I can't see a use for.

I have a bit of a book issue at the moment, as I've inherited about 200 of my recently deceased father's collection. Many of these are valuable books (either because of historical interest/early editions of things, or because they have been inscribed with authors' names - my father was an editor and at one stage of his career, a literary editor). With this collection I don't want them rotting in the garage, but don't currently have space to shelve any of them. I'm not entirely sure how I can solve this problem, short of building onto my house :)

Ptah
13 Dec 2007, 10:17 PM
I'm not an INTJ, but since Limey was mentioning IT books, I'd suggest it has to do with the occasional need to do "backgrounder" research? I keep around otherwise "outdated" books/materials for the same purpose.

eyebyte_atWork
13 Dec 2007, 10:32 PM
I'm not an INTJ, but since Limey was mentioning IT books, I'd suggest it has to do with the occasional need to do "backgrounder" research? I keep around otherwise "outdated" books/materials for the same purpose.

Book Nerd !

Ptah
13 Dec 2007, 10:33 PM
Book Nerd !

Here's an odd, universal INTJ obsession if I ever saw one: chiding INTPs :P

Limey
13 Dec 2007, 10:44 PM
Book Nerd !

I wear my book nerdiness, like a badge of pride - like how Feelers wear their tears like little badges of emotive freedom.

Was that good? I was going for gushy faux sincerity!

songbird36
13 Dec 2007, 10:45 PM
I wear my book nerdiness, like a badge of pride - like how Feelers wear their tears like little badges of emotive freedom.

Was that good? I was going for gushy faux sincerity!

It would have been good if you hadn't felt the need to point out what you were trying to do :P

So, I still haven't uncovered any trainspotters or butterfly collectors - where are you all?!

eyebyte_atWork
13 Dec 2007, 10:50 PM
It would have been good if you hadn't felt the need to point out what you were trying to do :P

So, I still haven't uncovered any trainspotters or butterfly collectors - where are you all?!

Butterfly collecting??

Thats gay (not that theres anything wrong with that).

Monica
27 Dec 2007, 04:01 AM
How 'bout this? When I find an article of clothing I really like, I buy multiples of it. I currently have 5-6 different types of shirts for which I own anywhere from 2-5 articles of the same exact thing, possibly varying in color. Same goes for pants. Maybe other people do this, but I don't personally know of any.

Night
27 Dec 2007, 04:03 AM
How 'bout this? When I find an article of clothing I really like, I buy multiples of it. I currently have 5-6 different types of shirts for which I own anywhere from 2-5 articles of the same exact thing, possibly varying in color. Same goes for pants. Maybe other people do this, but I don't personally know of any.

I experience this.

For me, it's a struggle to appreciate failure.

Wolf
27 Dec 2007, 05:16 AM
Curious, I do the same thing. I like all my clothing to be identical, though they may vary in color. My uncle takes this to an extreme and only wears one color/brand/etc of everything, so he looks the same every day even though the clothing is clean and technically different from the day before...

Monica
27 Dec 2007, 05:22 AM
Curious, I do the same thing. I like all my clothing to be identical, though they may vary in color. My uncle takes this to an extreme and only wears one color/brand/etc of everything, so he looks the same every day even though the clothing is clean and technically different from the day before...

I mainly do it because it's hard to find clothes I like and I'd rather not have to go shopping constantly. Plus, when I don't have to worry about choosing what to wear it takes a lot less time to get dressed in the morning. I never went to a school where I had to wear a uniform, but always wished I did. I thought that would be so much easier than worrying about what to wear every day.

sinnamon
27 Dec 2007, 05:22 AM

Yep, me too.

Limey
27 Dec 2007, 05:51 AM
Ha, I do it too - plus I have the added annoyance of being an odd size, (tall and skinny) so there are very few clothes companies that even make/distribute my size. Even the UK now starts at a 32 waist and even then it's "men's inches".

I went through a spate of snapping up every pair of Nautica jeans I could find for a while, even searching ebay for something "new with tags" because they were last years season.
The woman at the nautica outlet thought I was nuts for not caring that they were last season's style, has to be an SF thing <shrug>

I'm into cargo pants lately, damn hard to find that elusive mix of comfortable but not ghetto, thick enough material so they're well made and not a piece of crap brand, (though I do own a pair of Dickies which were surprisingly good cargo pants).

I once bought three of the same pair of Nike ACG boots because I liked the first pair so much.
It was funny in that they came back into fashion when I was into the third pair but you couldn't buy them anymore.

Wolf
27 Dec 2007, 06:55 AM
I mainly do it because it's hard to find clothes I like and I'd rather not have to go shopping constantly. Plus, when I don't have to worry about choosing what to wear it takes a lot less time to get dressed in the morning. I never went to a school where I had to wear a uniform, but always wished I did. I thought that would be so much easier than worrying about what to wear every day.
Ditto, on all counts. I actually hacked out a section of the post this was in response to that covered most of these points...

OnAnIsland
27 Dec 2007, 10:48 AM

Yeah! Bad enough that I am married to one.... then I come on here and aaargh! They're everywhere...... run away!!!!!!

Maybe it's because they really want to be INTPs...

songbird36
27 Dec 2007, 06:03 PM
Maybe it's because they really want to be INTPs...

Eureka...that must be it!

Electric
28 Dec 2007, 12:46 AM
Eureka...that must be it!

Maybe in a thousand years when all personalities merge into one supreme personality. INTJs are the least strange people in my book.

Limey
28 Dec 2007, 12:48 AM
Maybe in a thousand years when all personalities merge into one supreme personality. INTJs are the least strange people in my book.

Your book is lace edged with little doodle hearts and an inscription on the cover that reads Jason4Tracey 4EVA xxxxxxx

Supergirl
28 Dec 2007, 12:54 AM
INTJs are the least strange people in my book.

Read below.

Your book is lace edged with little doodle hearts and an inscription on the cover that reads Jason4Tracey 4EVA xxxxxxx

Have you changed your mind?

Electric
28 Dec 2007, 01:12 AM
How is that strange?

Also as a matter of fact, my book actually reads "The Alpha and the Omega Book" with very expensive gold gilded frames and a little key to open the magic book up.

Limey
28 Dec 2007, 01:18 AM
My book resembles a Dragon tales coloring book, `cept it only takes me away to a far away land - can't actually "color" in it.

Dragon Tales, Dragon Tales
It's almost time for Dragon Tales.
Come along and take my hand,
Let's all go to Dragon Land.
There?s Ord he?s the biggest,
Not so brave of heart.
There's Cassie,
So shy, but so very smart.
There's Zak and Wheezie and his tales of fun,
Cause you know two heads are better than one.
Dragon Tales, Dragon Tales
It's almost time for Dragon Tales.
Come along and take my hand,
Let's all go to Dragon Land.

Electric
28 Dec 2007, 01:27 AM
Psst that's still not strange. Committing copyright infringement of poorly thought out stories is nothing new. *informatively* Also, I think Ord is a mentally retarded dragon.

Supergirl
28 Dec 2007, 01:28 AM
From the description, Cassie may be INTP.

Limey
28 Dec 2007, 01:56 AM
Psst that's still not strange. Committing copyright infringement of poorly thought out stories is nothing new. *informatively* Also, I think Ord is a mentally retarded dragon.

I'm not going for strange, that would be sad. DT is just my bag, baby (and I don't mean my ball bag)

I think Ord likely is learning challenged or mentally handicapped (ooh! how deliciously PC)

Supergirl
28 Dec 2007, 02:02 AM
I'm not going for strange, that would be sad. DT is just my bag, baby (and I don't mean my ball bag)

visions of Austin Powers run through my head

Roger Mexico
28 Dec 2007, 02:38 AM

Normally I'm not of the same mind as Hustler re: INTJ's posting on this forum, but my immediate reaction to this thread was "um, why is this here?"

At the very least, you've got MBTIc one click away. The whole topic here just seems un-germane to the forum.

Yes, this is exactly what you should do.

sha'n't.

OK...

Hey now, considering your decision to start this thread in the first place, this is almost a troll-worthy comment.

The sub-forum exists to enable us to study you like rats. But if you bite us too many times, well, you get fed to the python.

Um, now you just seem to be lost. INTP central.

What do you mean "we", white man?

Your new name is Mustakrakish.

Roger Mexico
28 Dec 2007, 02:41 AM
OK, Limey can stay.

Agreed. I had a friend who thought it was all cool and "Goth" to roll joints out of Bible pages, and I pretty much wanted to kick his ass every time. The printed word is one of the few things in the world I consider sacred.

The "keep every book you ever owned" thing would an expected INTP tendency.

At least until you have to sell them due to protracted unemployment. Only reason I've ever gotten rid of a book.

songbird36
28 Dec 2007, 04:20 AM
Hey now, considering your decision to start this thread in the first place, this is almost a troll-worthy comment.

Welcome Roger, to the troll-free land of the INTJ and home of the brave. May you study, learn, and understand.

Yes we could go elsewhere, but we quite like it here. Why are the INFJs and INFPs here never told to get lost, anyway? :)

ZHASH
28 Dec 2007, 04:44 AM
Most INTJs have some type of obsession/OCD tendency. Mine is symmetry. I hate when I get focussed into arranging things symmetrical. Perhaps it is because my inner world is so chaotic that my outer world needs to be so organized. I try to catch myself and stop but the obsession sometimes overcomes me.

I have a close INTJ friend with OCD, too. He's a published poet and his OCD surfaces when he arranges his words and stanzas for the poetry he writes. It's not just the creativity of writing poetry but the organization of words, too. Typical INTJ behavior. I do things like that, too.

OnAnIsland
28 Dec 2007, 05:36 AM
The "keep every book you ever owned" thing would an expected INTP tendency. At least until you have to sell them due to protracted unemployment. Only reason I've ever gotten rid of a book.

:theclap: Haha! Same!

Welcome Roger, to the troll-free land of the INTJ .... Yes we could go elsewhere, but we quite like it here. :)

OK, That is a weird INTJ trait surely!

Most INTJs have some type of obsession/OCD tendency.

Yes, an obsession with starting INTJ only threads on here wouldn't be one would it?

OnAnIsland
28 Dec 2007, 05:45 AM
Oh, but here you go. My INTJ hubby has an obsession with pegging out the washing with all the pegs having to be exactly the same colour, 5 x pegs per item, all symmetrically placed along the way and with the peg grabbing on the second groove in the peg (can't be 1st or 3rd). Actually, the peg colour is always pink too even though we own multiple colours. He purchased many packets just to get enough pink ones I think.

INTP version of hanging washing out is any number of pegs, any colour, clothes hung on any angle, any groove. That is if we can be bothered at all.

So on the rare occasion I do hang out the washing it gets unpegged again by a certain INTJ and rehung with the "correct" rules.... even though he can't explain why the pink pegs make the clothes dry better... :mellow:

Supergirl
28 Dec 2007, 06:07 AM
Most INTJs have some type of obsession/OCD tendency. Mine is symmetry. I hate when I get focussed into arranging things symmetrical. Perhaps it is because my inner world is so chaotic that my outer world needs to be so organized. I try to catch myself and stop but the obsession sometimes overcomes me.

I have a close INTJ friend with OCD, too. He's a published poet and his OCD surfaces when he arranges his words and stanzas for the poetry he writes. It's not just the creativity of writing poetry but the organization of words, too. Typical INTJ behavior. I do things like that, too.

I think I have this symmetry obsession, too. It manifests itself particularly when I 'm folding clothes. The contents of my dresser drawers are lined up like soldiers. I pack my suitcase this way, too. My closet is neat and all the wooden hangers match. The perfume bottles, jewlery boxes and trinkets on my bedroom dresser are organized and their placement was carefully calculated. I dislike clutter. My desk at home and at work are rather tidy and I prefer to keep them that way. Also, I don't like to see crooked pictures on the wall. A long time ago, my father told me that I make my bed military style. I wish I could just pull the stick out and relax. Many INTPs are so different in this way. I should have Edahn post a pic of his closet. What a frickin mess. (good thing he's not reading this) :ph34r:

songbird36
28 Dec 2007, 06:26 AM
I should have Edahn post a pic of his closet. What a frickin mess. (good thing he's not reading this) :ph34r:

Why isn't he reading this? Is he still finding himself? :)

Supergirl
28 Dec 2007, 06:33 AM
Why isn't he reading this? Is he still finding himself? :)

I guess so. I hope he doesn't ever find what he's looking for because then what would he do? I informed him of helium's loss and he jumped back on the site for a brief moment to send his condolences. He's a good guy, that Edahn.

songbird36
28 Dec 2007, 06:39 AM
He's a good guy, that Edahn.

Indeed, yes. Very nice.

I actually feel quite sad tonight, at Mrs H's passing (although I didn't know her), the death of Mrs Bhutto, and other tragic world events, such as post-Xmas gang warfare amongst Aboriginals in a native community across the Tasman. At what is supposed to be a time of celebration, there seems to be so much misery and sadness..

Supergirl
28 Dec 2007, 06:47 AM
Indeed, yes. Very nice.

I actually feel quite sad tonight, at Mrs H's passing (although I didn't know her), the death of Mrs Bhutto, and other tragic world events, such as post-Xmas gang warfare amongst Aboriginals in a native community across the Tasman. At what is supposed to be a time of celebration, there seems to be so much misery and sadness..

I too was very touched by Mrs. H's plight. I took about an hour going backwards on helium's blog and I got rather emotional over it. Don't be sad, songbird. There are a lot of very good people in this world. It's unfortunate that the media mostly highlights the tragic things and causes us to focus on the bad.

ZHASH
28 Dec 2007, 05:27 PM
I think I have this symmetry obsession, too. It manifests itself particularly when I 'm folding clothes. The contents of my dresser drawers are lined up like soldiers. I pack my suitcase this way, too. My closet is neat and all the wooden hangers match. The perfume bottles, jewlery boxes and trinkets on my bedroom dresser are organized and their placement was carefully calculated. I dislike clutter. My desk at home and at work are rather tidy and I prefer to keep them that way. Also, I don't like to see crooked pictures on the wall. A long time ago, my father told me that I make my bed military style. I wish I could just pull the stick out and relax. Many INTPs are so different in this way. I should have Edahn post a pic of his closet. What a frickin mess. (good thing he's not reading this) :ph34r:

OMG! I'm the same way. My spices are in alphabetical order in exactly the same stainless steel tins. Sick, huh?

Jennywocky
28 Dec 2007, 05:37 PM
OMG! I'm the same way. My spices are in alphabetical order in exactly the same stainless steel tins. Sick, huh?

:sick:

How do you even use them?
Mine start that way (well, I make an effort) but don't last too long.

In fact, I tend to simply think up the system without ever implementing it (which would simply be redundant).

Toonia
28 Dec 2007, 07:53 PM
:sick:

How do you even use them?

In fact, I tend to simply think up the system without ever implementing it (which would simply be redundant).
I'm not sure where this falls on the J-P continuum, but my dream is to design a self-cleaning house. I'm a naturalist in my approach. I watch where the piles naturally form and then buy toy boxes to put the piles in. I also want a trash chute that goes directly into a dumpster so there is never a need to take out the trash. I've thought of having a trench along each wall with a lid on it. When the floor gets too messy, it tilts and all the contents slide into their respective trenches, after which the lids come down. I would love to have many cupboards and storage, so that things can be put away quickly and out of sight. These would have general category themes for easy retrieval. Any belongings that are not used daily would be in a long narrow storage facility lined with cupboards on either side labeled and out of sight. These could go alongside the north, outside walls for increased insulation. Windows are reserved for other walls. Bathrooms could have spray fixtures that blast disinfectant and then a rinse cycle periodically to keep everything clean. The cupboards in there would need to be watertight. It would also be cool to have a large walk-in closet with a lazy susan style clothes racks that shift seasonally. Maybe this could be automated by remote control? Robot vacuums and dusters are also a must. :banana:

songbird36
28 Dec 2007, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure where this falls on the J-P continuum, but my dream is to design a self-cleaning house.

I think every woman (or man for that matter) who has to run a household (in the practical, hands-on sense), dreams of this. I know I have, many times..

Toonia
29 Dec 2007, 12:13 AM
I think every woman (or man for that matter) who has to run a household (in the practical, hands-on sense), dreams of this. I know I have, many times..
I wonder why more isn't done to design such a home?

bluebell
29 Dec 2007, 12:57 AM
I'm not sure where this falls on the J-P continuum, but my dream is to design a self-cleaning house. I'm a naturalist in my approach. I watch where the piles naturally form and then buy toy boxes to put the piles in. <complicated description>

Toonia, you rock. That is so cool.

Maybe that is a J thing. I never think that much about my place. I mean, I have all these plans about how to renovate and fix stuff up. But my broken fence is still propped up with a bit of timber, a year later. Things get tidied, sporadically, where tidy = pick junk up and dump in another room (when we have someone over for dinner who doesn't know us that well). I think a year ago, I bought some boxes and stuff to put things in and be organised. They're somewhere round here, dunno where anymore.

Celtinfj
30 Dec 2007, 05:01 PM

I think this proves once and for all my INTJness

I looooove miniatures, but typically never finish what I start. My mother had this little glassed-in miniature of an old-time store, with regular items like buttons and peppermints being modded and used as miniature items such as cheese rounds and wagon wheels. This thing utterly fascinated me. I stared at it for hours, just drowning myself in the absolute genius of it.

Hitgirl
1 Jan 2008, 07:03 AM
I'm not sure where this falls on the J-P continuum, but my dream is to design a self-cleaning house.

That's a great idea! For some reason, I am always looking for ways to streamline the cleaning process myself.

songbird36
1 Jan 2008, 07:14 AM
I have a Black Books obsession :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTvfG3HSDYA

Sisyphus
3 Jan 2008, 02:23 AM

This made me think that INTJs aren't the real obsessives. INTJs do the same thing over and over again, but they aren't necessarily thinking about it all the time: they just eat at 6:45 every evening and watch the entire run of a television show one a day, every day until the episodes are used up because it seems to them like the natural thing to do. Whereas I have worked out that in order for me to get something done, I have to be thinking about it for literally hours every day, to read several blogs about it every day, to make notes about it in a notebook every day, etc in the hope that some of the ideas thereby generated will accidentally trickle down into execution. In order to re-organise my room, I had to read articles about decluttering and methods for organising ones posessions solidly for a month and a half and then concoct an entire Personal Tidying Theory (TM). Now that's an obsession: it just doesn't look like one, because the execution falls far short of being commensurate to the level of thought required.

shadow1986
4 Jan 2008, 02:16 AM
weirdos.

lmao

Someone went so far as to mention why INTJs are picked on in this board IFs generally aren't.

Personally although we share similiar characteristics in many regard with INTJs (I admit even i compulsively liked to throw things into some form of order since being a kid ----> But only when it was really easy and effortless, not like cleaning the house), I think I distrust and am weary of INTJs. they generally have the same superiority complex streak as INTPs, this arrogance and aloofness, but I dare say that theirs is not as naive and innocent as the INTPs. I'd say its' genuine and they're willing to dabble in it for the sake of sadistic enjoyment.

A lot of the time from INTPs, INTJs are likely to be amused by some of our emotional responses when our F functions are hit. They like to prod and poke at our insecurities and enjoy watching us stumble callously when the inferior F core gets hit.

As a word of warning though people have (successfully) manipulated for their own personal gain me in the past, and they learned the hard way: no-body's easier to trick than the trickster himself. It's just in their bad luck that I'm usually Introverted and frequently underestimated because of my laxidasical demeanour. I think this is the case for most INTPs. I dare say we're the manipulators of the manipulators, and probably make the best second in command and assert the most influence over the lead man.

ZHASH
4 Jan 2008, 02:52 AM
This made me think that INTJs aren't the real obsessives. INTJs do the same thing over and over again, but they aren't necessarily thinking about it all the time: they just eat at 6:45 every evening and watch the entire run of a television show one a day, every day until the episodes are used up because it seems to them like the natural thing to do.

I'm an INTJ and I can't stand routine. I never eat at the same time and I'd never watch the entire run of a television show one a day, every day until the espisodes are used up. As a matter of fact, I don't even know what programs are on TV. I very rarely watch TV on except for AM and PM news. Are you sure you are talking about an INTJ?

Wolf
4 Jan 2008, 03:32 AM
I'm an INTJ and I can't stand routine. I never eat at the same time and I'd never watch the entire run of a television show one a day, every day until the espisodes are used up. As a matter of fact, I don't even know what programs are on TV. I very rarely watch TV on except for AM and PM news. Are you sure you are talking about an INTJ?
Sounds like me, only I went even further and don't own a TV. I eat at erratic times, do things randomly, have effectively no scheduling whatsoever. I don't even get into work at a consistent time, and this has always been true of me.

We're very misunderstood, considering this is a type-oriented place.

ZHASH
4 Jan 2008, 03:42 AM
Sounds like me, only I went even further and don't own a TV. I eat at erratic times, do things randomly, have effectively no scheduling whatsoever. I don't even get into work at a consistent time, and this has always been true of me.

Wanna be friends?

Limey
4 Jan 2008, 03:48 AM

I agree, I'm the same way.

I never go to work before 9am and I almost never do the same thing at the same time out of never wanting to be predictable, it's a sub-routine of the parent paranoia DLL.

I would say that the only real scheduling I have, is a mental list I keep of the shit I want to achieve/get done that week/month/year and most of that is purchases/projects for leisure or efficiency - or "shopping" as some other types call it.

Sisyphus
4 Jan 2008, 04:42 AM
Definitely. But I wasn't actually suggesting that all INTJs have the same television or dinner habits.

Night
4 Jan 2008, 04:47 AM
I would say that the only real scheduling I have, is a mental list I keep of the shit I want to achieve/get done that week/month/year and most of that is purchases/projects for leisure or efficiency - or "shopping" as some other types call it.

Same here.

songbird36
5 Jan 2008, 10:19 AM
A recent obsession I've had is phone avoidance. At the moment I'd say I'm only answering the phone at home around 30&#37; of the time.

lbloom
5 Jan 2008, 10:30 AM
A close INTJ friend needs clean toilets, above nearly all else. He would wake up early to get to the toilets before the rest of the dorm.

Right now, he shares a room, but has maneuvered a deal where he has his own bathroom.

jhf
5 Jan 2008, 11:08 AM
A close INTJ friend needs clean toilets, above nearly all else. He would wake up early to get to the toilets before the rest of the dorm.

Right now, he shares a room, but has maneuvered a deal where he has his own bathroom.

For both #1 and #2? Cause If it's just about sitting down in a public restroom then I'm with yer friend. If it's both then I'd say it's a genuine phobia.

If I was a woman I'd have some amazing leg muscles cause of all the hovering... sitting down in a public restroom is friggin nasty.

lbloom
5 Jan 2008, 03:16 PM
For both #1 and #2? Cause If it's just about sitting down in a public restroom then I'm with yer friend. If it's both then I'd say it's a genuine phobia.

If I was a woman I'd have some amazing leg muscles cause of all the hovering... sitting down in a public restroom is friggin nasty.

#2, I guess, although he's been grouchy about #1 at unapproved stations too.