PDA

View Full Version : Who do we get along with and who do we clash with?

david
6 Aug 2008, 08:54 PM
So I don't really get all the details of this MBTI stuff, though it makes sense to me all the same. I was wondering what personality types INTPs tend to clash with, and which ones we tend to get along with. For me, there's very few people I don't get along with, I usually take people how they are. One of my closest friends is a girl and an ESTJ. For some reason we get along pretty well, but we also conflict a lot, I read this on wikipedia:

"An INTP is not shy about using a tool for something other than its original purpose, or creating a new tool to serve a desired purpose. INTPs cause no end of frustration to ESTJs and ISTJs with this improvisation, as despite their best effort they cannot make the same intuitive leaps which come naturally to the INTP. On the other hand, they are quick to smugly point out when the INTP must stop in the middle of a project to puzzle over the previously discarded instructions, which the -STJ read at the start."

So true for me.

Are there any patterns as to what certain personality types naturally attract to each other?

garak
6 Aug 2008, 09:00 PM
You should check out Keirsey's work.

Basically he splits up MBTI into 4 groups: NT, NF, SP, SJ. NTs and SJs hate each other. NFs and SPs hate each other. (to be simplistic about it)

angelique
6 Aug 2008, 09:30 PM
You should check out Keirsey's work.

Basically he splits up MBTI into 4 groups: NT, NF, SP, SJ. NTs and SJs hate each other. NFs and SPs hate each other. (to be simplistic about it)

you mean "attracted" to each other, not hate. at least as an NT, i particularly like SJ types, especially ISFJs. INTPs also seem to be especially attracted to ESFJs and if i can't recall the number of times mentioned in regards to now NFs have a fatal attraction with SP types.

:smooch:

garak
6 Aug 2008, 09:33 PM
you mean "attracted" to each other, not hate. at least as an NT, i particularly like SJ types, especially ISFJs. INTPs also seem to be especially attracted to ESFJs and if i can't recall the number of times mentioned in regards to now NFs have a fatal attraction with SP types.

:smooch:

I take it you haven't read it either.

(also I should emphasize I was being VERY oversimplistic, but the basic idea is sound)

Hexchild
6 Aug 2008, 10:42 PM
Some people tend to avoid me, I tend to view a lot of people (including myself) as foolish for various reasons, and sometimes I can get into rather lengthy discussions where opinions clash wildly, but beyond that I can't recall any actual clashes that might have been personality-based. Most people that get to know me tend to develop some sort of implicit trust in me for some reason.

As for the types of previously mentioned people, I'm not confident enough in my typing abilities to have an opinion on that.

Nighthawk
6 Aug 2008, 11:25 PM
... i can't recall the number of times mentioned in regards to now NFs have a fatal attraction with SP types.

I'm with you on this one. I know of quite a few NFs who have repeatedly fallen head over heels for charismatic bad-boy/party-girl SPs.