PDA

View Full Version : TV Shows and Notes

Pages : [1] 2

MacGuffin
8 Sep 2008, 09:59 PM
Ever wanted to write about something you saw on TV, but couldn't find a thread and didn't want to start a brand new thread?

Well, this thread is for you.

Bring your talk about shows that don't merit their own threads here. Dramas, sitcoms, funny commercials (adverts for the backwards people across the pond), talk shows, news reports, game shows, TV movies, miniseries, whatever catches your eye.

Youtube videos welcomed.

kendoiwan
8 Sep 2008, 10:00 PM
Generation Kill kicked ass...

MacGuffin
8 Sep 2008, 10:03 PM
It's fall, and the new series are starting to debut. So I thought we needed a TV thread like the movie thread.

I have confirmed that our associate rector has returned to film scenes for the new 90210, but I don't know if I'll keep watching it. I just don't have time.

I am interested in the Sarah Connor Chronicles returning tonight. I thought a Terminator TV show would suck, and while it's not BSG, it's better than I thought. The actress playing Sarah is still way too young, but she's hot. And to tie this back to 90210, I hope David Silver Brian Austin Green continues with his role into a more permanent status.

oxyjen
8 Sep 2008, 10:09 PM
I am irate that a new season of LOST doesn't start until 2009. I was a nut for this show during the first couple of seasons but the sagging plot line and numerous breaks have taken a toll on my interest level.

I get the feeling they are also winging it, and the whole series will end with me feeling dissatisfied and used. I'm not your dirty whore, JJ Abrams.

kendoiwan
8 Sep 2008, 10:10 PM
I am irate that a new season of LOST doesn't start until 2009. I was a nut for this show during the first couple of seasons but the sagging plot line and numerous breaks have taken a tool on my interest level.

I get the feeling they are also winging it, and the whole series will end with me feeling dissatisfied and used. I'm not your dirty whore, JJ Abrams.

:rofl:

MacGuffin
8 Sep 2008, 10:10 PM
I am irate that a new season of LOST doesn't start until 2009. I was a nut for this show during the first couple of seasons but the sagging plot line and numerous breaks have taken a toll on my interest level.

The X-Files abused me like that.

Still I went back for the movie this summer.

kendoiwan
8 Sep 2008, 10:11 PM
The X-Files abused me like that.

Still I went back for the movie this summer.

That would make you Chris Carters' dirty whore...

outmywindow
8 Sep 2008, 10:14 PM
I already mentioned it in the Raves thread, but I fucking LOVE the stupid 'White Gold' milk commercials. I don't know why, but I think they're fantastic.

stopharian
8 Sep 2008, 10:23 PM
Great thread.....I was feeling like we needed this too. I always get a bit jittery this time of year trying to figure out what is coming back on when.

Things that I am personally waiting around for this year:

Entourage(just started up)- I never thought I would like this show, as it is a life which is a bit antithetical to many of the values that I hold dear, but when friends reccomended it I got hooked. Started September 7 for 12 episodes.

LOST-January(ugh) 17 episodes

BSG- This is it folks-10 final episodes air sometime in 2009(???)

Heroes-I think it starts Sept 22.......well see if they can gain a bit of focus and bring this series back from the edge for me.

Dexter- starts Sept 28-I couldnt be happier. This show has been pretty tight from the beginning and the last season finale didnt disappoint.

The Office- September 25

Weeds-Its been going on all summer and about to finish its season. I cant stare at Mary-Louise Parker enough but the show has frankly sucked ever since they moved down south. I think maybe it should be put to bed.

amelia_underwood
9 Sep 2008, 05:13 AM
Nip/Tuck is pretty much the only show I watch regularly. Love it, I caught it late one night and was instantly hooked. It's due to air again in January 2009. I think I like it even more because I never thought I would.

Hmm, BSG I love but watch in marathons. Weeds is good too as is Dexter but I don't tune in regularly.

Oh how I hate Lost, ever since the beginning I felt manipulated so I didn't bother to watch. I hate Grey's Anatomy too. It's a little lonely when you hate Lost and Grey's.

MacGuffin
9 Sep 2008, 03:26 PM
Nip/Tuck is pretty much the only show I watch regularly. Love it, I caught it late one night and was instantly hooked. It's due to air again in January 2009. I think I like it even more because I never thought I would.

I've described 90210 as delightfully trashy, but that show is wonderfully trashy! I haven't really watched since the first season though.

I am interested in the Sarah Connor Chronicles returning tonight. I thought a Terminator TV show would suck, and while it's not BSG, it's better than I thought. The actress playing Sarah is still way too young, but she's hot. And to tie this back to 90210, I hope David Silver Brian Austin Green continues with his role into a more permanent status.
So the season opener last night wasn't too bad. Happy to see Green will be a regular now. Shirley Manson shows up as a series regular too (yes the woman from the band Garbage). She's pretty weird looking and turns out to be a T-1000 from the future as well! :wtf:

Tonight, a new one from J.J. Abrams: Fringe on Fox. Something about terrorists, FBI agents, a plane flight full of dissolved people, Pacey from Dawson's Creek, and comparisons to the X-Files. I guess I'll try it out.

And here's a Wash. Post article on our priest returning to her role on 90210: Reborn '90210' Has Her Blessing (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090803134.html).

Hard images to reconcile: filthy rich glamour-puss coke addict Jackie Taylor -- who humiliated poor Kelly at the mother-daughter fashion show! -- now leading the liturgy at the church where George Washington and Robert E. Lee worshiped. For all the fans who still recognize Gillespie on the street, she said, "many of my closest friends don't know anything about it." That's so Rajah!

zero
9 Sep 2008, 03:48 PM
I am irate that a new season of LOST doesn't start until 2009.

can anyone tell me what is going on in this show!?!? i am so LOST. hopefully Heroes will be as good or better than it's first season...the writers strike is what i think killed it...but i could be wrong

avolkiteshvara
9 Sep 2008, 03:53 PM
I watch too much TV. Some of my Favs:

House(Cause he is INTP)

LOST(Frustrating. Like the hot girl that will only let you get ot first base)

The Shield

And The Family Guy

Delilah
9 Sep 2008, 03:55 PM
House(Cause he is INTP)

You don't say.........:popcorn:

zero
9 Sep 2008, 03:55 PM
House(Cause he is INTP)

wait a minute...house is an INTP...he's one of my heroes...along with Dr. Cox from scrubs

MacGuffin
9 Sep 2008, 04:04 PM
Take the "House is an INTP/INTJ" (which is wrong) to the House thread (http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=9907)!

kendoiwan
9 Sep 2008, 04:58 PM
Heroes will be as good or better than it's first season...the writers strike is what i think killed it...

Correct. If you've been keeping up with the online graphic novels you know this season is going to pwn...

The season opener of SCC sucked balls. So painfully predictable. And that sorry excuse for a plot twist at the end... Are you fucking shitting me?

avolkiteshvara
9 Sep 2008, 05:20 PM
Take the "House is an INTP/INTJ" (which is wrong) to the House thread (http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=9907)!

Didn't realize there was one.

MacGuffin
11 Sep 2008, 07:27 PM
Tonight, a new one from J.J. Abrams: Fringe on Fox. Something about terrorists, FBI agents, a plane flight full of dissolved people, Pacey from Dawson's Creek, and comparisons to the X-Files. I guess I'll try it out.

After I talked to my mother, I watched this.

Not so bad, but yeah, it really feels like a stew of other shows. X-Files conspiracy, something called "the Pattern" which reminded me of the beginning of the Matrix, a Dharma-like corporation from Lost, the rebel genius, the mad professor, another tough-yet-tender female FBI agent... I've seen all this before.

The SFX at the beginning were impressive for TV. The melting jaw was cool, as was the bionic arm. That last one was subtle, but I'm sure we'll be seeing it again.

kuranes
11 Sep 2008, 07:52 PM
Looking forward to "Breaking Bad"'s return.

amelia_underwood
11 Sep 2008, 07:57 PM
I've described 90210 as delightfully trashy, but that show is wonderfully trashy! I haven't really watched since the first season though.

(EDIT: Yup, talking about Nip/Tuck here)

It's like some horrible kind of brain candy - though I did learn all about parenting - SPOILER ALERT - You know, if I ever have a son who falls in love with an older woman, (who is later revealed to have been born a man), and said woman is also having an incestuous relationship with her own adopted son, I will know just what to do. SPOILER OVER.

Wow, that sounds way more trashy when I type it out like that haha.

avolkiteshvara
11 Sep 2008, 08:02 PM
It's like some horrible kind of brain candy - though I did learn all about parenting - SPOILER ALERT - You know, if I ever have a son who falls in love with an older woman, (who is later revealed to have been born a man), and said woman is also having an incestuous relationship with her own adoptive son, I will know just what to do. SPOILER OVER.

Wow, that sounds way more trashy when I type it out like that haha.

I think you are thinking about NipTuck.

MacGuffin
11 Sep 2008, 08:04 PM
I think you are thinking about NipTuck.

Yes, we were.

kendoiwan
11 Sep 2008, 11:06 PM
Looking forward to "Breaking Bad"'s return.

Amen!!! Get your hustle on Mr. White!!! Fuck the po-po!!!

MacGuffin
19 Sep 2008, 11:34 PM
I want to give a shout out to my favorite "fun" TV show: Burn Notice.

1 part MacGyver, 1 part A-Team, 1 part Miami Vice. It's like the best 80s show updated for modern times!

For those who don't know, the plot is Jeffrey Donovan playing a "burned" U.S. spy. He is dumped in his hometown of Miami and not allowed to leave or Homeland Security comes down like a a hammer. He needs to figure out who and why he was burned. To make ends meet, he takes on odd jobs that use his spy skills for people that can't turn to the police. His old spy friend (played by Bruce Campbell) and former lover/IRA gunrunner/spy (played by Gabrielle Anwar) help him out. Sharon Gless (Cagney & Lacey) is the biggest guilt-tripping ESFJ mother ever. She reminds le wife of her own mother so much le wife gets annoyed!

Plus Jeffrey Donovan always looks so cool:

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080625/burn-notice_l.jpg

I have no idea how a broke spy affords those amazing suits.

You may notice that is Tricia Helfer from BSG that is guest starring this season as a bad, bad woman! :wub:

And did I mention Bruce Campbell!

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/799/799805/burn-notice-20070627000624830.jpg

Hungry like a wolf!

The second season ends soon, so watch for the repeats on USA Network.

kendoiwan
24 Sep 2008, 02:44 AM
Anyone watch "The Mentalist" pilot? I thought it was worth a second look.

MacGuffin
24 Sep 2008, 02:51 PM
Anyone watch "The Mentalist" pilot? I thought it was worth a second look.

I forgot to record it. I'm still behind on my TV watching from my trip last week.

TiVo is the greatest thing ever. I never just turn on my TV and see what's on anymore.

MacGuffin
24 Sep 2008, 08:22 PM
Another show I'm looking forward to is Dollhouse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollhouse_(TV_series)), which doesn't premiere until January. I heard they got shut down for two weeks to retool, which might be a good thing, or just another entry in the long list of how FOX has screwed Joss Whedon.

In Dollhouse, Dushku plays a young woman named Echo, a member of a group of people known as "Actives" or "Dolls." The Dolls have had their personalities wiped clean so they can be imprinted with any number of new personas, including memory, muscle memory, skills, and language, for different assignments. They're then hired out for particular jobs, crimes, fantasies, and occasional good deeds. On missions, Actives are monitored internally (and remotely) by Handlers. In between tasks, they are mind-wiped into a child-like state and live in a futuristic dormitory/laboratory, a hidden facility nicknamed "The Dollhouse". The story follows Echo, who begins, in her mind-wiped state, to become self-aware.

I love Eliza Dushku!

http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/dollhouse3.jpg

MacGuffin
25 Sep 2008, 03:37 PM
Anyone watch the new Knight Rider? I watched the TV movie last season, and was mildly entertained, but not enough to commit to a weekly show. The reviews aren't encouraging either.

kendoiwan
25 Sep 2008, 03:38 PM
I passed on that, "Talk to me" was on... "welcome to P-Town!!"

MacGuffin
25 Sep 2008, 03:41 PM
I passed on that, "Talk to me" was on... "welcome to P-Town!!"

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to see that one.

kendoiwan
25 Sep 2008, 03:43 PM
I related to the guy. "I don't claim to know the answer, but I'll damn sure tell you what the problem is!"

kendoiwan
3 Oct 2008, 04:17 AM
So who's been watching "True Blood"? I started watching it thinking "God white people look for any reason to mix blood and sex" but I think it's an interesting little show. Although I kinda resent that the only black guy on the show has to be teh ghey. Talk about a double token except that he's one of my favorite characters on the show. Curse you nuance!!!

Oso Mocoso
3 Oct 2008, 04:35 AM
I watched the pilot episode of the show "Fringe". The concept sounded cool. Basically, Fortean science is real and there's a shadowy megacorp profiting off the inventions of a mad scientist they had locked away after they fleeced his best ideas. Now, he's out and working with law enforcement to chase a conspiracy behind the corporation.

In execution, it was all right but not great. The characters didn't really jump off the screen or anything. The writing was just all right. I might try another episode, but I might not.

MacGuffin
3 Oct 2008, 03:25 PM
I watched the pilot episode of the show "Fringe". The concept sounded cool. Basically, Fortean science is real and there's a shadowy megacorp profiting off the inventions of a mad scientist they had locked away after they fleeced his best ideas. Now, he's out and working with law enforcement to chase a conspiracy behind the corporation.

In execution, it was all right but not great. The characters didn't really jump off the screen or anything. The writing was just all right. I might try another episode, but I might not.

I've watched all the episodes so far (mostly cause it follows House), and my take is the same. It's entertaining at times, but it's not great either. It lacks the atmosphere of The X-Files (and chemistry of the two actors).

I find it interesting that this show and the other J.J Abrams show Lost have shifted the conspiracy. It's no longer shadowy government organizations, but private ones and corporations. I wonder if this is a sign of the times.

Spartan26
4 Oct 2008, 06:28 AM
I was really disappointed by Fringe. The old man doctor was cool but the other characters...uninspiring. I was expecting a more insightful pov of the govt agencies and the crimes their chasing, like comparitive to what you have on The Unit or that show that was on a couple of years ago E-Ring but it's straight fairy tale like Alias. Which, did anyone notice in the pilot about 2/3rds in there was a shot of lead Anna Trov when she looked just like Jennifer Gardner? I was like, well, that answers a lot of questions.

For me it was like the short lived Commander in Chief. As much as you'd respect it if it decided to be way different than The West Wing, it couldn't be so devoid of procedures and protocol that you feel like you're getting a watered down product. I saw part of episode 2 of Fringe. I'd prolly tune in again to see where they're at but not programming the vcr.

avolkiteshvara
4 Oct 2008, 07:41 AM
Still waiting for the fringe hook. I am a late adopter with most things. Who knows if it will stick.

skip
4 Oct 2008, 08:18 AM
Wow, you guys watch a lot of tv.

My money's on the brother-sister team on The Amazing Race, thus far.

Oso Mocoso
4 Oct 2008, 08:21 AM
Wow, you guys watch a lot of tv.

My money's on the brother-sister team on The Amazing Race, thus far.

You watch reality TV shows? OMG that is impossibly lame.

kendoiwan
4 Oct 2008, 08:17 PM

:highfive:

Ghost-Girl
4 Oct 2008, 09:05 PM
Anyone watching Pushing Daisies? I'm finding it hilarious and adorable. Which makes sense, because it's by the same creator/writer that made Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls, which are also shows that I'm especially fond of. I just hope this one gets more seasons than the other two.

Pushing Daisies, Season 2 Promo

Meliora
4 Oct 2008, 09:06 PM
The first episode of the new season of Family Guy was last Sunday, and the second is tomorrow night. If that first episode is any indication, this season is going to rule.

I think you can watch that whole season premiere episode online for free at Myspace or Hulu.com :banana:

MacGuffin
4 Oct 2008, 11:12 PM

I don't watch it, but what I've heard/read indicated The Amazing Race is by far one of the better reality shows. At least it gets people to see other countries outside of the tourist hotspots (so few Americans travel abroad).

Anyone watching Pushing Daisies? I'm finding it hilarious and adorable. Which makes sense, because it's by the same creator/writer that made Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls, which are also shows that I'm especially fond of. I just hope this one gets more seasons than the other two.

I meant to check that show out, but I just don't have time. I was a big fan of Wonderfalls too.

Ghost-Girl
4 Oct 2008, 11:48 PM
I was a big fan of Wonderfalls too.
Later this season (episode eight, I think?) they're going to do a Wonderfalls crossover on Pushing Daisies. Not sure exactly what it's going to entail, but I'm pretty excited about it.

MacGuffin
4 Oct 2008, 11:50 PM
Later this season (episode eight, I think?) they're going to do a Wonderfalls crossover on Pushing Daisies. Not sure exactly what it's going to entail, but I'm pretty excited about it.

Crap, I better catch up.

MacGuffin
5 Oct 2008, 12:50 AM
Me too. Goddamn, Mulder-with-a-beard got me hot.

That reminds me I saw this (http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?p=869335#post869335) last night.

Beard all the way through the movie!

Spartan26
5 Oct 2008, 07:32 AM
Anyone watching Pushing Daisies? I'm finding it hilarious and adorable. Which makes sense, because it's by the same creator/writer that made Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls, which are also shows that I'm especially fond of. I just hope this one gets more seasons than the other two.I don't know why I always think John Masius was the creator of Dead Like Me??? Touched by an Angel revenge, I don't know?? Anyway, Fuller came up with the idea for Pushing Daisies while still working on Dead Like Me. The guy was to be a love interest/foil for George. After she would go and touch someone to release that person's soul from his or her body, there'd be the Ned character going around touching the person to bring him/her back to life. Of course pandamonium and hijinks would follow...Fortunately, I suppose, they were never able to fit it into the seasonal arc story line.

I only saw the pilot and part of a couple other epsiodes of Daisies. I enjoyed it, I don't know why I never bothered to watch regularly. I meant to watch the season 2 premiere but totally spaced it. Actually, quite a few people did. Numbers weren't good. I hope they don't make it too broad and stupid and end up killing the show.

Ghost-Girl
5 Oct 2008, 07:55 AM
Fuller came up with the idea for Pushing Daisies while still working on Dead Like Me... Yeah. I wonder, because Dead Like Me is significantly darker in tone, how different the character would be? Hmmm.

Numbers weren't good.
I know. :( That's part of why I decided to pimp it a bit.

Ghost-Girl
8 Oct 2008, 05:58 PM
Read this in an interview (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Pushing-Daisies-Lee-20033.aspx) with Lee Pace this morning:

TVGuide.com: Family seems to be a recurring theme this season— Emerson's, Chuck's… will we ever meet Ned's family, whether they be alive or dead at the moment?
Pace: You're absolutely right; family is a big issue this season, how what went on in their pasts has made them the people they are now. Later this season, Chuck and Olive take it upon themselves to find Ned's twin half-brothers, and they make life very complicated for Ned. But it's good for him. He's got a lot of problems, a lot of hang-ups that he's not particularly ready to confront. But… he does, and I think in every episode you see Ned take a step forward. It's all about making life complicated for Ned. Poor Ned!
Which I'm hoping means Lee will probably be playing his character from Wonderfalls as well as Ned when they do the crossover episode.

Second episode of the season on tonight. Should be good.

MacGuffin
8 Oct 2008, 06:30 PM
I remember watching Breach earlier this year and was bugged that I knew the wife somewhere but couldn't place her.

Then I remembered... it's the Wonderfalls girl!

skip
8 Oct 2008, 08:50 PM

I'm fairly well-traveled; the dynamics of the orchestration and production of the show make for fascinating speculation and I love it when they go to places I've been to or lived in (the effect India has on Americans is always interesting). I'd audition if I had a good partner.

digitalentropy
12 Oct 2008, 06:53 PM
I'd like to catch the British version some day, but I watched the series premiere of Life on Mars Thursday and it's definitely an interesting premise (plus a great cast). I think the soundtrack really helps a lot, plus it feeds into my time travel fantasies.

ApeTheDog
12 Oct 2008, 07:18 PM
British television is excellent. I particularily love QI. It seems to be made just for me. It's funny, the game element isn't forced - they'll regularily just take 5 minutes and joke back-and-forth about things or meander into all sorts of weird tangents and every question in the quizz had an answer that actually interests me!

It's a gameshow with questions nobody knows the answers to (hence the scores usually being negative, because you get points deducted for wrong guesses) but which are quite interesting (which is where the title of the show comes from) like: "Paint on this model of a *species of fish* what it tastes with" (answer: it's entire body), or trick questions like: "Who is the oldest person in the Bible" (not Methusalem - it's Enoch because he never died. He's over 5000 years old now whereas Methusalem died at the age of 96O-something)

It's unmissable television for me (well, i tape it on my digital vcr) and hosted by the brilliant manic-depressive, stoic-exhuberant and funny Stephen Fry whose existance on this planet I've always cherished.

Bill Bailey is occasionally in it (one of the funniest comedians I know of) and so is a guy who looks like Rhu from the forum, who is even more dead hilarious (but whose name I don't recall as he's not been around as long).

MacGuffin
15 Oct 2008, 04:51 PM
With apologies to Madrigal (http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=30797):

Alien lizards set to invade ABC in 'V' (http://www.variety.com/VR1117993725.html):

"V," the 1980s miniseries about alien lizards visiting Earth, will invade primetime once again.

ABC is developing a new adaptation of the franchise — which spawned a second mini and TV spinoff — written by "The 4400" co-creator/exec producer Scott Peters.

Will this be good (like BSG) or suck (like Knight Rider)?

Madrigal
15 Oct 2008, 04:53 PM
With apologies to Madrigal (http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=30797):

Alien lizards set to invade ABC in 'V' (http://www.variety.com/VR1117993725.html):

Will this be good (like BSG) or suck (like Knight Rider)?

ARRRGHHHH will it show in Argentina??!!!

MacGuffin
15 Oct 2008, 05:00 PM
ARRRGHHHH will it show in Argentina??!!!

I have no idea.

Still might not make it on the air at all.

Ghost-Girl
18 Oct 2008, 03:57 AM
British television is excellent. I particularily love QI. . I'd heard a lot of good things about QI, and finally got around to watching it. I love it!

Which reminds me:

I'd like to catch the British version some day, but I watched the series premiere of Life on Mars Thursday and it's definitely an interesting premise (plus a great cast). I think the soundtrack really helps a lot, plus it feeds into my time travel fantasies.
Watch the British version. Please. It's so much better.

Oso Mocoso
18 Oct 2008, 04:30 AM
Speaking of British TV shows, I started watching Primeval online, and I've been really enjoying it. I'm usually not a fan of time travel in sci-fi, but so far this show has been pretty novel. Basically the plot is that prehistoric animals are passing through a time portal and running amok in England. There are definitely some logical problems with this show, but so far the writing has been pretty top notch.

Spartan26
18 Oct 2008, 05:57 AM
I'd like to catch the British version some day, but I watched the series premiere of Life on Mars Thursday and it's definitely an interesting premise (plus a great cast).They really cleaned house from the original pilot. I think only Jason O'Mara remained. I know Harvey freckin' Keitel wasn't in it. Man, where has he been??? That's gotta be the one of the worst freckin' feelings to go through. Find out your pilot's getting picked up but then that the network thinks you'd make it suck too much to survive and get booted. Yiiee!

Ghost-Girl
18 Oct 2008, 06:05 AM
Speaking of British TV shows, I started watching Primeval online, and I've been really enjoying it.
Really? I can't stand it.

outmywindow
21 Oct 2008, 06:38 AM
I haven't been intentionally trying to watch My Own Worst Enemy, but I seem to have caught all two or three episodes so far, and have been enjoying it. I have a feeling the gimmick will wear off fairly quickly (I can't imagine the conflict working for much more than a season), but until then I think I'll enjoy the ride.

Then again, I might just be excited about the fact that James Cromwell and Alfre Woodard are working together again (Zefram Cochrane and Lily Sloane! Wheee!).

MacGuffin
21 Oct 2008, 03:30 PM
I haven't been intentionally trying to watch My Own Worst Enemy, but I seem to have caught all two or three episodes so far, and have been enjoying it. I have a feeling the gimmick will wear off fairly quickly (I can't imagine the conflict working for much more than a season), but until then I think I'll enjoy the ride.

Then again, I might just be excited about the fact that James Cromwell and Alfre Woodard are working together again (Zefram Cochrane and Lily Sloane! Wheee!).

Is it better than Fringe?

outmywindow
21 Oct 2008, 03:58 PM
Is it better than Fringe?
I heard 'Fringe' was really shitty, so I haven't bothered to watch any of it.

Of course, this doesn't stop a guy at work from asking me if I saw last night's episode every time he talks to me (he did the same thing with 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles.)

MacGuffin
21 Oct 2008, 04:01 PM
I heard 'Fringe' was really shitty, so I haven't bothered to watch any of it.

It's not shitty, just kind of "meh".

Of course, this doesn't stop a guy at work from asking me if I saw last night's episode every time he talks to me (he did the same thing with 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles.)

Now I do like that one (despite the fact "Sarah" is too young and pretty).

The word is out: you're a geek! Even co-irkers know!

TPol
22 Oct 2008, 06:52 AM
Sarah does look young and is pretty, but it is believable for me because I know some really hot, young-looking women who have kids in college. She's for real, MacG!

outmywindow
22 Oct 2008, 07:05 AM
Sarah does look young and is pretty, but it is believable for me because I know some really hot, young-looking women who have kids in college. She's for real, MacG!
I'd think the stress of her life would have prematurely aged her. I mean, just look at Linda Hamilton's portrayal of her (not to say that Hamilton isn't hot in T2, just that she's not this perfect, nubile young woman).

MacGuffin
22 Oct 2008, 02:41 PM

Pics?

I'd think the stress of her life would have prematurely aged her. I mean, just look at Linda Hamilton's portrayal of her (not to say that Hamilton isn't hot in T2, just that she's not this perfect, nubile young woman).

Linda Hamilton (about 35 during T2) was great as the tough (look at those shoulder muscles!) and a bit unhinged Sarah Connor.

I thought Sarah Connor was supposed to be in her early 20s during Terminator, but evidently only supposed to be 19. It's a bit of a mess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Connor_(Terminator)#Birth_and_death). The pilot of this show made her 33, which means she was 17-18 during Terminator.

Spartan26
22 Oct 2008, 08:19 PM
I'm totally on board w/Sarah being too hot. It's kinda creepy w/scenes w/her and just her son. There's something inauthenic about the relationship. At least last year. I haven't seen any of the episodes this season for some reason. There really needs to be a vibe by the son that resents her for being hot and constantly having to hear, "Dude, you're mom is smokin'!" all his life and strangers constantly hitting on her. While if she were really a totally hot single mom, on the run, she'd prolly tone it down a notch or two. Lena Heady, though, I think is one of the most attractive women working in Hllywd.

MacGuffin
22 Oct 2008, 08:39 PM
Oh Lena is hot alright.

Best MILF on TV.

TPol
22 Oct 2008, 10:20 PM
Pics?

Nice try. You know me better than that. Still, though, nice try.
Reply to \/: Neither one have either. ((streeeeike twoooo))

MacGuffin
22 Oct 2008, 10:25 PM
Nice try. You know me better than that. Still, though, nice try.

I'll take facebook or myspace profiles too.

Anyone watch Eli Stone? A total NF show, but it's enjoyable.

bleh
23 Oct 2008, 06:01 AM
Anyone watch House?

Anyone hear House's laugh

Make sure you turn your speakers wayyyy up before you listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf_gzZU21K8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEzEtqXIjPI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8-Y9pz14aU&feature=related

MacGuffin
23 Oct 2008, 03:09 PM
You should find the House thread and opine on what MBTI type he is.

MacGuffin
5 Nov 2008, 09:44 PM
Anyone watch Sarah Connor the other night? The first few seconds got snarled by TiVo and I couldn't hear the convo between the ex-FBI and the terminator.

MacGuffin
6 Nov 2008, 04:06 PM
New Dollhouse Trailer

Old Dollhouse Trailer

Randall
21 Nov 2008, 02:29 AM
Anyone watch Eli Stone? A total NF show, but it's enjoyable.

I've seen a couple episodes. I would have found it more exciting if there were a lot more hallucinations.

Ghost-Girl
21 Nov 2008, 04:02 AM
Pushing Daisies has been canceled. =(

Spartan26
21 Nov 2008, 07:42 AM
Sorry for your loss. :hug:

24: Redemption is this w/e. I'm looking forward to the new season but that won't be until Jan. I'm hoping the extra time away will mean better pacing and not stupid filler their prone to throwing in. There has gotten to be a bit of a pattern of stuff being re-hashed from previous seasons, hoping a lot of that will be eliminated too.

Wise Fool
21 Nov 2008, 08:19 AM
I'm surprised at (the lack of quality of) some of the shows mentioned so far and the glaring absence of any mention of Mad Men! So I feel compelled to mention, Mad Men.

Scott
21 Nov 2008, 08:55 AM

So depressing. I didn't even know about it until a bit before this season, but I caught up and have watched every week since. Great show - it's a shame people watch crap instead.

(Dollhouse trailers)

So, I know you posted these a couple weeks ago, but I'm really looking forward to Dollhouse too. I'm pretty much excited about anything Joss Whedon will ever do, and Dollhouse looks pretty great. I have to say though, while the trailers are good you just can't capture the things that really make Whedon great in a few minutes. Though I might take that halfway back if he made a trailer himself - he didn't take long to make Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog fantastic.

It's sad to me that the first trailer mentions Joss as "The writer of Buffy and Angel" and doesn't mention our beloved Firefly, whose untimely passing I still lament. Not that Buffy and Angel aren't great (well, Angel at least - I haven't seen that much Buffy though people tell me it's great; somehow a brooding introverted guy connected with me more than a cheerleader girl... go figure), but Firefly will always be my first love.

Daaf
21 Nov 2008, 11:19 AM
I love Greek, because it has all the streotypical people from college in there...

I also enjoy Burn Notice, as well as Weeds, and lastly How I met your mother is legen wait for it

Daaary!!!

nonperson
21 Nov 2008, 02:45 PM
I love Greek, because

of Spencer Grammer.

http://cdn.chickipedia.com/www/images/b/b4/0000041543_20070720122617_674.jpg

MacGuffin
21 Nov 2008, 08:14 PM

Yeah, so was Eli Stone. ABC sux.

It's sad to me that the first trailer mentions Joss as "The writer of Buffy and Angel" and doesn't mention our beloved Firefly, whose untimely passing I still lament. Not that Buffy and Angel aren't great (well, Angel at least - I haven't seen that much Buffy though people tell me it's great; somehow a brooding introverted guy connected with me more than a cheerleader girl... go figure), but Firefly will always be my first love.

Buffy was the best show on television for about 4-5 years. Angel wasn't quite as good, IMSO (Firefly didn't last long enough - also fewer people remember it, so it doesn't get mentioned like the other two shows).

TPol
21 Nov 2008, 08:26 PM
(nods at all the Firefly-fan comments)

sayanything7
25 Nov 2008, 07:11 AM
shield series finale tomorrow, going to be INTENSE.

Spartan26
25 Nov 2008, 07:28 AM
Buffy was the best show on television for about 4-5 years. Angel wasn't quite as good, IMSO (Firefly didn't last long enough - also fewer people remember it, so it doesn't get mentioned like the other two shows).I enjoyed Buffy for a couple of seasons. For a while it was just like X-Files. I'm not sure where they lost me. Buffy started sounding like too many other female malcontents on the air during that time. Maybe it got too routine. I forget what it was but I slowly lost interest and then never came back. I can't remember if there was something that I started to watch in its stead.

I did see like an episode or two of Angel and didn't find it too particularly interesting. Never watched Firefly though watching Summer Glau in Serenity made me a quick fan of her.

Daaf
25 Nov 2008, 07:36 AM
of Spencer Grammer.

You realise she is Frasier's (Kelsey Grammer) Daughter, she looks a little like him to, but I guess she's hot....

Scott
25 Nov 2008, 09:44 AM
Buffy was the best show on television for about 4-5 years. Angel wasn't quite as good, IMSO (Firefly didn't last long enough - also fewer people remember it, so it doesn't get mentioned like the other two shows).

Yeah, I suppose can understand the reasoning. It's still sad though.

Never watched Firefly though watching Summer Glau in Serenity made me a quick fan of her.

!?!?! Whoever let you watch Serenity without first watching Firefly is not a true friend. Well, never too late anyway I suppose. It's well worth the watch. And the whole season is on hulu, so... free!

So... I'm not sure why I started reading this thread not expecting to eventually come off as a total fanboy for either Firefly or Dr. Horrible. This fanboyishness is new to me - I never cared that much about any shows or movies until within the past year (which is when I first saw Firefly/Serenity). Well, while I'm at it... If any of you haven't seen Dr. Horrible, you should. *Sigh* /Transformation to Fanboy complete.

Bugs701
25 Nov 2008, 05:12 PM
I fucking LOVE the stupid 'White Gold' milk commercials. I don't know why, but I think they're fantastic.

Unbelievable! I thought I was the only one.:thumbup:

avolkiteshvara
25 Nov 2008, 05:42 PM
shield series finale tomorrow, going to be INTENSE.

Meehhh.......last two seasons haven't been good. I think they must've fired some of the original writers. Before was totallly awesome.

I'll wait until it is done and maybe catch up via netflix.

MacGuffin
20 Dec 2008, 02:23 AM
DirecTV was kind enough to give us 3 months of free Showtime as a thank you. This allowed me to check out some shows on there, including nearly the entire third season of Californication. I say nearly because I skipped some of them and fast forwarded through some parts (leading le wife at one point to think I was watching pr0n cause I just stopped for the sex scenes one night). I wasn't sure if it was good even with digest's recommendation (she has a thing for David Duchovny), but the more I watched the more I liked it. Hate fucking a TV chef was never more funny... "half-black cock"???

Most affecting was the season finale, which I'm going to talk about so you can stop reading if you want to see it unspoiled. Hank (DD's character, a semi-famous writer) is a bit (a lot) self-centered and mostly can seem to help fucking women even when he really shouldn't. At the beginning of the season finale he has a conversation with someone that you realize at the end is only a memory.

Lew: "At the end of the day, it's all about her."
Hank: "Who?"
Lew: "You know."

You could assume he's talking about Karen, Hank's on-and-off love of his life, who is moving to NYC from L.A., taking their teen daughter as well. Hank is overjoyed, he wants to come along as he's missed NYC for years. At the end though he offers to stay in L.A. so their daughter isn't uprooted from her life there. Karen asks him why since NYC was a dream of his for years now:

Hank: "Because at the end of the day, it's all about her."

His daughter.

:wub:

kendoiwan
30 Dec 2008, 08:08 PM
Burn Notice is awesome, I recall someone likening it to a modern day A Team... :yes:

nonperson
30 Dec 2008, 08:33 PM
Burn Notice is awesome,

Bump.

EDIT: Here the Sarah Conner Chronicles are on a mid-season break. Not a happy George.......

LowEnd
30 Dec 2008, 08:55 PM
Heroes is on hold.
House is on hold.
Family Guy is on hold.
South Park is done.
The Lost Room is M.I.A.

My only 5 regular TV interests, all absent. What's a guy to do?

MacGuffin
30 Dec 2008, 09:08 PM
Lost, BSG, and Burn Notice return this next year!

kendoiwan
30 Dec 2008, 09:33 PM
Lost, BSG, and Burn Notice return this next year!

What is BSG?

MacGuffin
30 Dec 2008, 09:34 PM
What is BSG?
Battlestar Galactica.

AKA the best show on TV.

kendoiwan
30 Dec 2008, 09:38 PM
Battlestar Galactica.

AKA the best show on TV.

I keep hearing that around here... I'll look out for it, better not be nerd trickery :mellow:

MacGuffin
30 Dec 2008, 09:45 PM
I keep hearing that around here... I'll look out for it, better not be nerd trickery :mellow:
Better start from the beginning.

Or to put it this way:

BSG:Heroes::hot sex:setting your dick on fire

kendoiwan
30 Dec 2008, 09:57 PM
Better start from the beginning.

Or to put it this way:

BSG:Heroes::hot sex:setting your dick on fire

LMAO.... Well seeing as we both agree to the suckiness of Heroes...

augi55
30 Dec 2008, 10:26 PM
Battlestar Galactica.

AKA the best show on TV.

We must be on the same wavelength. After reading through this thread I have come to see you as a father figure (You remind me of my dad a lot... is that weird?)

But anyways. My dad just got DirecTV as well (awesomeeee. FINALLY some HD shows!)

And I am about to start BSG s3 right now. My dad checked it out from the library (weird isn't it?) and is letting me borrow it to get caught up. Does s4 start in '09?

MacGuffin
31 Dec 2008, 02:52 AM
We must be on the same wavelength. After reading through this thread I have come to see you as a father figure (You remind me of my dad a lot... is that weird?)

Yeah, a little bit.

syzygy
31 Dec 2008, 04:40 AM
30 Rock! January 8!

MacGuffin
31 Dec 2008, 04:40 AM
30 Rock! January 8!

Liz Lemon... INTP?

syzygy
31 Dec 2008, 04:42 AM
Liz Lemon... INTP?

Definitely. Did you see the episode Reunion? The fifth episode of this season? That proved it for me.

It also made me realise that I make fun of people when I'm defensive/awkward and that puts people off a lot.

applevenus
19 Jan 2009, 04:07 AM
Definitely. Did you see the episode Reunion? The fifth episode of this season? That proved it for me.

It also made me realise that I make fun of people when I'm defensive/awkward and that puts people off a lot.

:) Reading this makes me insanely happy. I identify so much with her (seriously, she's probably one of the most realistic female characters on television) except that she has what seems like the best job ever and I don't (yet!).

by4kug4n
23 Jan 2009, 09:16 PM
I already mentioned it in the Raves thread, but I fucking LOVE the stupid 'White Gold' milk commercials. I don't know why, but I think they're fantastic.

I know this was posted a long while back, but I do concur with this fact! I don't know why, but I actually like the music that they have on there!

Hey, did you ever download the songs that they have available on the whitegoldiswhitegold.com website? I actually have their release, and the music is quite funny. Oh, and I think that they also put some of their music videos to their music up on Youtube. :)

by4kug4n
23 Jan 2009, 09:27 PM
Hm... things I LOVE to watch on TV, eh?

Well, for me? It's got to be 24. I've been DYING to watch it, and I got a break in what... november? With 24:Redemption. Now that it's on, I don't ever, EVER want to miss it.

Same with House M.D. and I'll leave it at that, because there's a House Thread somewhere, but I love the show.

Bones is another favorite show of mine, due to the fact that Dr. Temperance Brennan [sp?] has a VERY logical mind, is quite intelligent, and sucks at dumbing-down ideas to make it more palatable to others who would not understand what she is saying at all. This week was the premiere for the new season, and it didn't dissapoint. :)

As for other shows... well, I'm looking forward to how the new series "Lie to me" is going to unravel, seeing as the first/pilot episode was quite interesting. I hope it won't dissapoint, or get cut-off prematurely.

MacGuffin
23 Jan 2009, 09:37 PM
Reminds me, anyone watch Lie to Me?

by4kug4n
29 Jan 2009, 07:24 AM
Anyone seen "Life on Mars"? Or does anyone remotely even think that it's interesting? Personally, the history nerd in me thinks that the premise, while weird, is still cool due to the LACK of modern communication devices and technological advances in the show. The main character, while wishing he were back in his own time and his own technology, is really trying his best to adjust to the lack of it thereof.

Today's episode... I'll admit, I missed the first twenty or so minutes of it, but I still enjoyed it.

syzygy
29 Jan 2009, 07:30 AM
Anyone seen "Life on Mars"? Or does anyone remotely even think that it's interesting? Personally, the history nerd in me thinks that the premise, while weird, is still cool due to the LACK of modern communication devices and technological advances in the show. The main character, while wishing he were back in his own time and his own technology, is really trying his best to adjust to the lack of it thereof.

Life on Mars is fucking amazing. John Simm is also fucking amazing.

Edit: I'm talking about the UK version. I refuse to watch the US version. America fucks up TV shows.

MacGuffin
29 Jan 2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I've heard the UK version is vastly superior.

On the other hand, Burn Notice is back on! :banana:

kendoiwan
29 Jan 2009, 04:00 PM
Burn Notice is worthy. :yes:

MacGuffin
3 Feb 2009, 06:28 AM
I figure this is as good a place as any. TV shows can piss me off with how unrealistic things like computers and science work within the show. I was watching CSI: Miami with my mother and laughing out loud at the stupid shit they pull. I offer this in honor of that weak writing:

24: The Unaired 1994 Pilot

"Prodigy is down. He's got total control of our geocites page." :happpy:

Limey
3 Feb 2009, 07:04 AM
I think that some of the different writers on Big Bang theory aren't maintaining the level of work required for the Sheldon character to be an oddball. I saw an episode the other day where he came across as distinctly ISTJ with just one or two contradicting conceptual preference remarks.

I find the show quite enjoyable considering it's mainstream TV. Golf clap CBS.

Spartan26
21 Feb 2009, 10:05 PM
Has anyone been watching Dollhouse? Holy crap, I think the show's gonna be phuqued. There was some concern that Fox would sink all this money into the show, like just the $1M Set (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-dollhouse1-2009feb01,0,2343340.story) alone and the promise of a new advertising structure but then dump the show on a traditionally abysmal Friday night. I thought, heh, they might just be hedging their bets. They know they'll get a Whedon core, then they'll hope for word of mouth to grow the show out the same way that happened w/X-Files.

They did do considerable re-shoots on the pilot but that's not uncommon. Last week's ratings weren't great but they had a significant increase off their lead-in show, Sarah Connor Chronicles. Then I watched last night's show and thought it was complete crap. Now I'm wondering if Fox didn't know they had a complete dog on their hand and dumped it on Friday because they knew they could run it longer w/lower ratings in hopes of recouping some of their costs.

Anyone watch? Do you think this show has a chance? There's generally a decline in ratings from the pilot to week 2, whether last night's episode is the weakest of the initial 13 remains to be seen. I just can't believe the 2nd episode wouldn't establish more of the Dollhouse franchise or take us further into the mystery. Maybe you don't want to be too serialized early on but for a stand-alone episode, there really didn't seem to show much to hook me for the episode, much less spread word of mouth for the entire season.

Not as disappointed as I was w/Fringe but there I had higher expectations. Not that I had low expectations for Dollhouse, just not as excited to see it.

MacGuffin
21 Feb 2009, 10:10 PM
I have to watch the second episode, it's on my DVR.

Limey
21 Feb 2009, 11:08 PM
Eastbound & Down on HBO
"Kenny Powers" - a has been Baseball player returns to North Carolina to teach PE. Chapter 1 was just shown.

Bravo HBO for a start off, for continuing to show groundbreaking TV styles.

Kenny is depicted as a mullet wearing ESTx redneck
Violence, Nudity, Adult content, adult language

He pretty much goes around insulting just about everyone. Interesting stuff.

nonperson
21 Feb 2009, 11:10 PM
I was so looking forward to Dollhouse........

daveshane
24 Feb 2009, 12:38 AM
Stuff I have on the pc I haven't watched:

Firefly series+Serenity
The Shield seasons 5/6/7
Entourage season 5
Mad Men season 1+2
Dexter season 3

An Englishman reviewing american TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b7mwTK564o

Oso Mocoso
24 Feb 2009, 01:00 AM
Not as disappointed as I was w/Fringe but there I had higher expectations. Not that I had low expectations for Dollhouse, just not as excited to see it.

I've loved watching Joss Whedon's other shows. I wanted to love Dollhouse. I really tried. So it pains me to write this review.

Dullhouse.

There's just no interesting hooks in the show. The main character's primary attribute is her essential lack of a personality. That could be an interesting premise for a novel, maybe. But it sucks for a TV show. Sadly, this being Fox they'll probably keep Dollhouse around and let it moan and drool its way to a slow death, unlike Firefly.

MacGuffin
24 Feb 2009, 04:35 AM
I would write off Dollhouse at this point, even if I enjoyed the second episode more than the first. As Oso said, there are no hooks. How can we care about a new character each week? Even the in-between one, Echo, is a blank faced moron.

I can't write it off yet because of two words: Joss Whedon.

His last three shows all were a cut above most everthing else on television. Even Angel, a spinoff that you'd think would hit the ground running, needed some time to get going. It wasn't until Wesley and Faith (Eliza Duckshoot again) showed up that I got interested.

So I hope this is just Joss not showing his hand yet. The writing hasn't been all that great which does worry me.

One great line though:

When asked if she knows how to handle a gun, Echo responds, "Four brothers, none of them Democrats."

LOL

Ptah
24 Feb 2009, 04:49 AM
I've been very closely watching Dollhouse waiting for the show-to-show "hook" to develop (I loved Firefly and through it became a fan of Whedon's work). Obvious as it may be to say, the possibility presents itself that Echo is going to bit by bit emerge into a running character through/under her various imprints, until she's as much (a continual, conscious) "herself" as she is whatever else as suits the particular episode's plot (and then, through this character shall we explore the 'verse of Dollhouse currently sublime). That potential is what carries my interest so far.

It reminds me of Eliza's other Fox show I really liked -- Tru Calling. It also seemed a bit episodic at first, but eventually continuity began to develop and the individual episodes were then only serving to embody incremental developments of the overall season-arc. I expect/hope Dollhouse to mature into this structure.

Spartan26
24 Feb 2009, 07:11 AM
Well, this might be good news but it could be too late. After months of speculation, Peter Chernin, Pres & C-O-O of Newscorp, #2 to Rupert, announced that he would not be re-upping his contract when it expires later this year. He's a reported micromgr, (which may be fine if you stick to one area but it's like that in TV, film, Internet, publishing...) and has been singled out for the death of Firely, New Amsterdam and the mess that is Dollhouse. Don't know if a) the show will be back or b) if he'll leave the show alone over the summer when they show would start breaking stories for a season 2. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Spartan26
24 Feb 2009, 07:15 AM
Anyone see Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog? It's a Joss Whedon show shot for the internet. Haven't seen it, heard it's really funny. Neil Patrick Harris stars. Obviously a more clearer view of Whedon's sensibilities.

MacGuffin
24 Feb 2009, 07:24 AM
Hope!

Okay, so I was talking to Eliza Dushku earlier today. (How’s that for shameless name-dropping? It’s like we’re old chums or something.) Our discussion will run later in the week, but the line she was pushing on the show was that it really kicks into gear starting with the sixth episode, which is written by Joss Whedon. She was quick to add that she’s not at all dissatisfied with the episodes before it, but the overall impression is that the first five were constructed more as standalone episodes that might hook the casual viewer while the back half of the season unfolds in more serialized fashion. (She also said that Whedon’s voice as a writer comes through more clearly than it has so far, which is great news given how little of it was evident in the premiere.) In the meantime, I think we’re supposed to be patient until the show finally hits its groove—provided that FOX is similarly patient, of course, and the network has spotty history at best.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-target,24147/

kuranes
24 Feb 2009, 10:12 AM
"Breaking Bad" second season about to start soon. I hope I don't forget to tune in often enough to keep up. I'm reading a book right now by the show's creator, George Mastras..."Fidali's Way".
http://georgemastras.com/

Edit - Mastras didn't "create" the show, apparently. He's just a writer for it.

kendoiwan
24 Feb 2009, 01:40 PM
"Breaking Bad" second season about to start soon. I hope I don't forget to tune in often enough to keep up. I'm reading a book right now by the show's creator, George Mastras..."Fidali's Way".
http://georgemastras.com/

AMC on demand is free my friend :worthy:

Spartan26
1 Mar 2009, 01:10 AM
Basically I don't think last night's epi of Dollhouse would otherwise be noteworthy, good or in the case of last week, particularily bad, but I will say Reyna's body made about the best possible use for high definition TV. :drool: Really, the thing just paid for itself. I was beginning to wonder if the FCC has some 3-second rule for looking at someone's ass. It was like 1-2 and then a cutaway shot of a bouncer trying to look menacing.

fduniho
4 Mar 2009, 10:30 PM

I was so bored by Fringe I never finished watching the first episode. It seemed to me that it was trying to become the next X-Files. I used to watch the X-Files regularly, but among the shows I watched, it was my least favorite, and I eventually stopped watching it before it ended.

fduniho
4 Mar 2009, 10:44 PM
Speaking of British TV shows, I started watching Primeval online, and I've been really enjoying it. I'm usually not a fan of time travel in sci-fi, but so far this show has been pretty novel. Basically the plot is that prehistoric animals are passing through a time portal and running amok in England. There are definitely some logical problems with this show, but so far the writing has been pretty top notch.

I love Primeval. I saw the first season on BBC America. On what site did you see it online?

Oso Mocoso
4 Mar 2009, 11:51 PM
I was so bored by Fringe I never finished watching the first episode. It seemed to me that it was trying to become the next X-Files. I used to watch the X-Files regularly, but among the shows I watched, it was my least favorite, and I eventually stopped watching it before it ended.

Yeah, X-Files was very similar to an older show called Strange World that didn't do as well in ratings. Fringe is like a reboot of X-Files or Strange World where the government isn't the bad guy. Now private business interests are the boogey man. Despite it's mediocre start, I thought Fringe did start getting good when they developed the plot about the anti-science cult and warring historical timelines. That plot was writing worthy of the creators of Lost or Alias.

I love Primeval. I saw the first season on BBC America. On what site did you see it online?

One of the Chinese ones that's not picky about what content people upload. I forget which. Probably Youku or Megavideo.

kuranes
5 Mar 2009, 01:54 AM
AMC on demand is free my friend
It is at my place anyway. I get free "standard" cable by plugging into an outlet, the live status of which the company is apparently unaware of.

fduniho
5 Mar 2009, 02:08 AM
Dollhouse and Sanctuary are two Friday night shows that both went against my expectations. Based on the premises behind the shows, I thought that Sanctuary would be an interesting show, whereas the premise behind Dollhouse seemed asinine. Sanctuary had a premise similar to Heroes or the 4400: a world in which some people have superpowers, the twist here being that more of them look like monsters. Since I have loved the other shows I just mentioned, I thought Sanctuary had similar potential. When I heard about Dollhouse, I wondered how a show about someone who can't remember what is happening to her from episode to episode could keep my interest. I was worried that it could be like Quantum Leap, a show I never liked, made even worse by the heroine not remembering who she is. The main thing that got me to watch it was knowing that Joss Whedon was behind it.

So far, I have loved every episode of Dollhouse. It combines elements of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Alias, and Doctor Who, all favorite shows of mine. It stars Eliza Dushku, who played Faith, the other vampire slayer, on Buffy, and it is by the creator of Buffy. Although I was never into Tru Calling, I loved Dushku as Faith, and Echo has much the same appeal as Faith had for me. Like Alias, the heroine works for a secret agency and goes on undercover missions, the twist here being that she thinks she is the person she is undercover as. Also, the pairing of Echo with her handler strongly reminds me of the pairing of Sydney Bristow with her partner, as both are black men with similar personalities. Like the Doctor from Doctor Who, Echo gets to change her personality, and because she is a different person in each episode, the show can have the kind of variety that Doctor Who has with the Doctor traveling to different times and places.

Sanctuary has been a disappointment so far. I have seen only the first four episodes, because I missed the fourth episode on hulu and decided to wait until the season began to reair. This show is not like Heroes or the 4400. These shows focused on the people who have superpowers, but Sanctuary focuses on the people who look after people with superpowers. It is sort of like if the 4400 was only about NTAC agents, except that the main characters on Sanctuary aren't nearly as likable as Tom and Diana from the 4400. I have never been into Amanda Tapping. I did like Samantha Carter on Stargate SG1, but it was never in the same way that I liked Buffy or Faith, Andromeda, Diana Skouris or her sister April (from the 4400), Lana Lang (from Smallville), Daphne (from Heroes), Max (from Dark Angel), Adria (from Stargate SG1), Abby (from Primeval), Rose Tyler (from Doctor Who), the series 8 Cylon (from Battlestar Galactica), or even Sydney Bristow's mother (from Alias). Samantha Carter always left me a bit flat, and I enjoyed Stargate SG1 mainly for its excellent male cast. Well, Helen Magnus is everything I dislike about Samantha Carter magnified. She leaves me even flatter than Carter did. Unlike Carter, who was learning new things on the fly, Magnus is a smug know-it-all. Her daughter reminds me of Teyla from Stargate: Atlantis, and like Carter, Teyla is one of those rare female characters who just leaves me flat. That detective who works with Magnus seems a bit weak for a male lead. He basically lets Magnus run the show. I would probably describe Sanctuary as being like Charmed meets the X-Files. Like Charmed, it focuses on a group of three people who meet different strange creatures or unusual people in each episode, except that these three aren't as sexy or as charming as the Charmed Ones. Like the X-Files, it deals with various strange phenomena, but unlike the X-Files, it doesn't try to stay within the realm of the believable, and the characters just take the weird stuff for granted instead of trying to investigate it. All in all, it is probably worse than Charmed or the X-Files, and neither of these made it among my very favorite shows when I did watch them.

fduniho
5 Mar 2009, 02:23 AM
I've been very closely watching Dollhouse waiting for the show-to-show "hook" to develop (I loved Firefly and through it became a fan of Whedon's work). Obvious as it may be to say, the possibility presents itself that Echo is going to bit by bit emerge into a running character through/under her various imprints, until she's as much (a continual, conscious) "herself" as she is whatever else as suits the particular episode's plot (and then, through this character shall we explore the 'verse of Dollhouse currently sublime). That potential is what carries my interest so far.

I happened to take a second look at the end of the last episode, mainly because I wanted to check whether Raina was played by Rihanna, whom she reminded me of. When I saw Sierra and Echo walk by each other, I noticed this time that Sierra approached Echo, and Echo shook her head no, basically telling Sierra not to show any signs that they remembered each other from their last mission. So I think what you're getting at here is true. Echo is going to gradually remember who she is or retain memories from her missions to form a coherent identity.

Ghost-Girl
5 Mar 2009, 06:17 AM
I happened to take a second look at the end of the last episode, mainly because I wanted to check whether Raina was played by Rihanna, whom she reminded me of. When I saw Sierra and Echo walk by each other, I noticed this time that Sierra approached Echo, and Echo shook her head no, basically telling Sierra not to show any signs that they remembered each other from their last mission. So I think what you're getting at here is true. Echo is going to gradually remember who she is or retain memories from her missions to form a coherent identity.

And in the previous episode she made the "shoulder to the wheel" gesture after her erasure, showing that she'd retained something from that, too.

bluebell
7 Mar 2009, 10:24 AM
The original Japanese Iron Chef has been around for years but I still love it. Tonight's episode had guinea fowl as the mystery ingredient, served on Wedgewood crockery. I love the Japanese-afied European dishes, kinda like the Westernised Asian dishes we get here. And best of all, is seeing your own culture through another's eyes, and how mundane things are exotic.

Takeshi!

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/12/23/ironchef_051021115737271_wideweb__300x450.jpg

C.J.Woolf
8 Mar 2009, 12:08 AM
That guy (Chairman Kaga?) is quite avatar-worthy.

Oso Mocoso
8 Mar 2009, 03:18 AM
That guy (Chairman Kaga?) is flaming gay.

FYP.

Anonymous
25 Mar 2009, 05:23 AM
I've been watching Firefly for the past few days.

Jayne: "Yeah, and if wishes were horses we'd all be eatin' steak." Best quote ever. I don't know why I waited so long to watch these.

Tangerine
28 Mar 2009, 07:37 PM
My philosophy teacher is letting me borrow his entire DVD box set of The Prisoner. It's pretty great I think. Anyone else seen that?

MacGuffin
29 Mar 2009, 01:55 AM
My philosophy teacher is letting me borrow his entire DVD box set of The Prisoner. It's pretty great I think. Anyone else seen that?

Yes, one of the classics.

fduniho
11 Apr 2009, 02:49 AM
Primeval premieres on the sci fi channel in less than 11 minutes. I already saw the first season on BBC America and highly recommend it.

Ghost-Girl
28 Apr 2009, 10:30 AM
House: jumping the shark or cool new gimmick? I can't decide.

MacGuffin
2 May 2009, 10:55 PM
As I sit waiting for the Derby to start, I thought I should talk about a few shows.

Dollhouse: I haven't seen last night's ep., but when we were told that episode six is when things got really moving, they were right. It's still not as great as other Whedon shows are, but it's as good as almost anything else on network TV. I think they will be renewed, so I expect it to get even better.

Terminator: This show picked up as well towards the end of the season. Four deaths in the final two months is an impressive body count for any show that isn't Lost. Too bad, because it's likely this show will be canceled.

Fringe: Remember how meh the show was? Damn, it's actually gotten good. I find it interesting how it reflects the times. The X-Files had FBI agents investigating the weird and unusual, backed by a shadowy government conspiracy. Here the FBI agents investigate the weird and unusual, but now it's a terrorist organization and multi-national corporation looming over everything (Leonard Nimoy guest stars as the head of Massive Dynamic soon).

Lie To Me: This is the new Meh Show with Potential. I like Tim Roth, but please less pointing at TV screens.

Castle: My favorite new show. Mystery writer (the awesome Nathan Fillion) tags along with homicide detectives (including the hot Stana Katic) and solves murders with tons of one-liners. This show has the comedy that Dollhouse is missing.

And Burn Notice returns in June! :banana:

Spartan26
5 May 2009, 04:41 AM
I was in an elevator and heard some people talking about Castle, gosh, I can't even think how long ago. Before the election, I'm positive. Some guy was blathering on and on about it and I had to ask him what he was talking about when we stepped out. I felt it was an amazing contradiction against type. I had so forgot about that show. I knew a show Castle was starting up but then until you gave the synop I had forgot what it was. Hate I've missed them. Will have to check that one out.

LowEnd
6 May 2009, 01:56 PM
House: jumping the shark or cool new gimmick? I can't decide.

That's what I thought, too gimmicky, but this week's episode uses it more as a platform for unfolding otherwise inconsistent events. House never disappoints. Ok, sometimes. But he still gets the job done dammit.

Ghost-Girl
6 May 2009, 02:18 PM
NCIS: What the hell was that shit? Are they trying to set up a west coast spin-off? It was really bad.

That's what I thought, too gimmicky, but this week's episode uses it more as a platform for unfolding otherwise inconsistent events. House never disappoints. Ok, sometimes. But he still gets the job done dammit.
Yeah, I liked better how they used it in this week's episode.

Spartan26
7 May 2009, 04:04 AM
NCIS: What the hell was that shit? Are they trying to set up a west coast spin-off? It was really bad.Yes, LL Cool J and someone else, the other person, in a new show for the fall.

fduniho
29 May 2009, 04:07 AM
In the Smallville season finale, Clark fought Doomsday, Tess Mercer's orb went missing, and when Clark was talking to Chloe at the end, he was wearing black instead of his usual red-and-blue blur outfit, and he was talking about giving up his humanity to be a better hero. I believe the orb was the Kryptonian artifact known as the Eradicator, that Doomsday killed Clark, and that the Eradicator merged with Clark's consciousness and became a doppelganger who thinks he is Clark. This parallels the original Doomsday storyline, in which Superman died fighting Doomsday and was replaced by four different Supermen, one being the Eradicator. The Clark who spoke with Chloe is obviously not John Henry Irons or Hank Henshaw, it is very unlikely that he is a Cadmus clone, and his outlook seems to match that of the Eradicator.

ciphersort
29 May 2009, 04:23 AM

Yes, one of the classics.

Probably my favorite show ever. Saw it as a kid and picked up the DVD box set a few years ago... an entp friend of mine borrowed it and has pretty much refused to return it. Eventually I will break into his house to snag it back... I miss it.

Limey
29 May 2009, 04:40 AM
Probably my favorite show ever. Saw it as a kid and picked up the DVD box set a few years ago... an entp friend of mine borrowed it and has pretty much refused to return it. Eventually I will break into his house to snag it back... I miss it.

I once won big ups and respec' <thump thump> from my inner-city comprehensive school physics teacher for yelling down the stairs at him, "I'm a free man, not a number!" when he asked me to move on.
I totally got away with kicking some kid down the stairs, same kid is on facebook now, special forces apparently - fuck!
True story.

ryan_m_parr
29 May 2009, 05:40 AM
I just came across this video of Dragonball Z (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=26103367). I hadn't seen this for over 10 years and rarely have turned the TV on since 5 years or so, so it's a bit nostalgic.

For awhile I was playing old stuff off this website: http://www.joost.com/

Recipe for Heavy Bread - A-Team (http://www.veoh.com/collection/NBC-The-A-Team/watch/v6471330M8dgfqTq) which I had always thought was boring when it still aired on TV, though decided to watch.

Irregardless I find TV boring

Kunstvoll Schwein
19 Jun 2009, 01:14 AM
I know this is a longshot, but has anybody ever seen or heard of the TV programme Nathan Barley? I highly recommed it, and I think it is aimed at INTx types, and the main character (not Nathan Barley, which is explained by the self-referential ending of the last episode) is an INTP. It was certainly written by some, ie. Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker.

Just wikipedia Nathan Barley, I can't post URL's yet.

Please read about or download it. I think you can get it on youtube as well. Not one episode is lacking in decent material, and the whole thing is filled with small backround jokes, and even after seeing it all more than 10 times I still notice new jokes, which is very rare for me. I might even start quoting it in my signature, it's that good.

Here is the first 10mins of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4mpJumHU-w

I'd be interested in any comments from Americans (or anyone else, for that matter).

Anonymous
29 Jun 2009, 02:09 AM

I've been watching these, the acting of Summer Glau and Garret Dillahunt is what makes the show, imo. Glau is a total INFP, so seeing her try to play a stoic robot role is rather hilarious, and Dillahunt is simply brilliant at it. His second role (the one in season 2) is especially good.

Oh, and best scene of the show: When Cromartie intervenes between Ellison and the other T-888.

Edit: Ok, I just finished this. What shit that last episode was. Not to mention episode 17, wtf was up with that?

MacGuffin
29 Jun 2009, 12:02 PM
I've been watching these, the acting of Summer Glau and Garret Dillahunt is what makes the show, imo. Glau is a total INFP, so seeing her try to play a stoic robot role is rather hilarious, and Dillahunt is simply brilliant at it. His second role (the one in season 2) is especially good.

Oh, and best scene of the show: When Cromartie intervenes between Ellison and the other T-888.

Edit: Ok, I just finished this. What shit that last episode was. Not to mention episode 17, wtf was up with that?

Yeah, I don't know... well, it's canceled anyway.

At least Burn Notice is back on! :banana:

Kunstvoll Schwein
29 Jun 2009, 04:59 PM
"Jam"
Dark acid humour by Chris Morris.

Jam
School Competition
Acupuncture
Hello
Thick People 20 Benson & Hedges
Casual Parents
Did you give the world some love today, babe?
Making Fiends

Trentham
29 Jun 2009, 05:04 PM
I've been watching Merlin on NBC the past couple of Sunday nights. It's not completely horrible. There's some potential for it to be a decent hour of fantasy-themed TV.

Oso Mocoso
29 Jun 2009, 05:16 PM
I've been watching Merlin on NBC the past couple of Sunday nights. It's not completely horrible. There's some potential for it to be a decent hour of fantasy-themed TV.

I've been watching it on Hulu but I'm still a few episodes back. I thought it was all right but nothing special. I guess as fantasy-themed TV goes it's pretty good. I mean, fantasy TV shows are few and far between ... and they're usually awful so Merlin gets good marks by comparison.

Trentham
29 Jun 2009, 06:26 PM
fantasy TV shows are few and far between ... and they're usually awful so Merlin gets good marks by comparison.

That was my impression as well.

I just found out via a cursory Google search that the show's first season already aired last year on the BBC. The fact that I'm not interested enough in it to check out subsequent episodes on Hulu says a great deal. More or less it's a way for my wife and I to have bearable quality time in front of the tube while we await the 3 or 4 shows we watch together to premiere in the fall.

Engine
2 Jul 2009, 12:38 PM
I don't have cable, so I occasionally watch things illegally on the internet, but even then it isn't often. The documentary channel is free right now, so I sit around and watch that if I'm truly, truly bored.
I'm not a television person. Pushing Daisies, however, I quite enjoy. The juxtaposition of a darker theme with such bright, cheery delivery (specifically on a visual level, with the saturation turned up) is really nice and surprisingly rare on television.

Deckard
20 Jul 2009, 05:07 PM
For fans of Dollhouse, an unaired 13th episode is going to be released on dvd on 28th July. Portal through time to watch it now: http://www.megavideo.com/?v=DGT8PZA4

Episode review: It's all new stuff, and they don't over-explain the crazy shit that's going on, which is great for a change. Whedon didn't dumb this one down. I don't know if the new season is going to continue down the same path, but I hope to god it does. I give it a 9.5 (rest of the season was ~7.5).

kuranes
14 Aug 2009, 02:02 AM
Hustler turned me on to a good show called "The Wire" back in friendlier days. I've been catching up on this and other shows I missed ( from cable etc. ) in previous years by renting discs that have 4 or 5 episodes on them so that I can see an entire season fairly quickly. The creator of the Wire is David Simon, and his new show will be about the search for John Wilkes Booth.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/17/tuning-in-40568209/?categoryid=1682&cs=1

Too bad that the show "The Lost Room" fizzled out, as I enjoyed that.

Speaking of "Lost" I am hooked on that show, and am catching up to recent times rapidly. Halfway through the third season now.

80 page GIANT
14 Aug 2009, 03:01 AM
If you like The Wire, and haven't watched The Shield, you should check it out.

I got totally hooked on the Shield a while back, and watched 6 seasons in a couple of months. I still need to watch the final season (I think I'll go ahead and order it, I just noticed that some used copies are finally showing up on Amazon at a decent price).

Its my favorite cop show of all time.

I recently watched season 2 of Deadwood...I like that show quite a bit also. Probably the most realistic western show ever, with some dark plot twists. Intelligently written and well acted. Looking forward to viewing the final season (a shame it didn't go longer).

I'm currently watching season 3 of The Venture Brothers. That show makes me laugh more than any other show I can think of. (a guy I used to work with is now living in NYC, drawing for that show...lucky bastard).

gardnerj
14 Aug 2009, 03:38 AM
Tosh.0 - an ENTJ

gardnerj
14 Aug 2009, 04:13 AM
btw, Demetri Martin, polka dots from the side view?? Really??

kuranes
14 Aug 2009, 05:09 AM
Tosh.0 - an ENTJDid you see the thread on celebrities that are secretly INTPc members ? It's been theorized that our member CoHo is actually Daniel Tosh. If you're right about Tosh's type then that would mean that CoHo is ...*gulp*...lying about being an INTP.

avolkiteshvara
14 Aug 2009, 05:17 AM
Hustler turned me on to a good show called "The Wire" back in friendlier days. I've been catching up on this and other shows I missed ( from cable etc. ) in previous years by renting discs that have 4 or 5 episodes on them so that I can see an entire season fairly quickly. The creator of the Wire is David Simon, and his new show will be about the search for John Wilkes Booth.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/17/tuning-in-40568209/?categoryid=1682&cs=1

I was lucky enough to meet david simon briefly. Angry guy. Refreshing to see from someone in his position. Show can be boring and slow but also has a certain gritty reality that you don't get from other shows. Its almost like your watching people from a foreign country.

If you like The Wire, and haven't watched The Shield, you should check it out.

I got totally hooked on the Shield a while back, and watched 6 seasons in a couple of months. I still need to watch the final season (I think I'll go ahead and order it, I just noticed that some used copies are finally showing up on Amazon at a decent price).

The Shield jumped the shark when Glen fucking Close was trying to portray a bad ass cop. Actually probably before that.

kuranes
14 Aug 2009, 05:26 AM
I was lucky enough to meet david simon briefly. Angry guy. Refreshing to see from someone in his position.

He recently challenged the owners of Washington Post and NYT to save "newspapers" ( the online versions of them anyway ) by insisting that people pay a subscription :horror: to get any of the contents of either of these two papers. Regional papers could then follow suit etc. He indicated that he is aware that the law would go after them if it knew that they were mutually agreeing not to screw whoever took the first step.

avolkiteshvara
14 Aug 2009, 05:33 AM
He recently challenged the owners of Washington Post and NYT to save "newspapers" ( the online versions of them anyway ) by insisting that people pay a subscription :horror: to get any of the contents of either of these two papers. Regional papers could then follow suit etc. He indicated that he is aware that the law would go after them if it knew that they were mutually agreeing not to screw whoever took the first step.

Yeah he has a whole theory about how the newspapers as we know them won't exist in the near future........professional journalist will be irrelevant cause large papers never kept up with the internet.

He said the only salvation will be little locally run niche papers that focus on specific communities.

oxyjen
14 Aug 2009, 07:05 AM
Speaking of "Lost" I am hooked on that show, and am catching up to recent times rapidly. Halfway through the third season now.

Yeah, you might want to stop right about there, while you're still ahead.

I got hooked on that show and watched all of Season 1 and what had been released of Season 2 (which had been in mid-season when I first took an interest), and it was GREAT. I thought it went downhill mid third season...and without revealing too much, some later twists make me want to throw shit at my television.

Wise Fool
16 Aug 2009, 07:56 AM
Mad Men season 3 premiers this Sunday on AMC. Its one of my favorite shows, I'm surprised at how little attention it receives. why not more attention?

Spartan26
17 Aug 2009, 02:32 AM
Mad Men season 3 premiers this Sunday on AMC. Its one of my favorite shows, I'm surprised at how little attention it receives. why not more attention?Awards wise, it cleans up but ratings wise it hasn't broken out. Things working against it would be that it's a period piece and it's on a channel that's not going to get much cross traffic sampling. I suspect it'll do well again come Emmy time in the fall but I believe AMC itself will need some branding re-identifing. Bravo got a big bost from their Biography series to get people to stop thinking of them as a buncha 2-hr docs and specials. From there a show like Queer Eye can break out because people won't see the channel as a long commitment. Plus, as a Universal/NBC channel, Bravo would get greater cross promos in larger watched broadcast TV audiences.

Good talent on Mad Men. As some of the cast does bigger features that might create awareness. They've pushed the season opener back from previous summers which would presumably mean more episodes getting sampled after the Emmys when awareness will be highest. They kinda need to launch now, I would suspect, to get a core in place before the fall launch of network shows. AMC can't really afford to wait until after the Emmys to launch a new season because it'd prolly get swolled up in the competition.

This could be a big year for it though I don't suspect it'll come close to pulling numbers of even Jon & Kate +8/Blind date.

tobba
19 Aug 2009, 01:04 PM
Anyone seen Desperate Romantics? It's about the pre-raphaelite brotherhood and their rise to art history fame. I think it's pretty good. Good if you're interest in art, and also if you just want a good drama set in 18th century england :)

It's not 100&#37; accurate but most of it follows their life stories pretty closely as I understand it

stopharian
19 Aug 2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah, you might want to stop right about there, while you're still ahead.

I got hooked on that show and watched all of Season 1 and what had been released of Season 2 (which had been in mid-season when I first took an interest), and it was GREAT. I thought it went downhill mid third season...and without revealing too much, some later twists make me want to throw shit at my television.

uh except its on like season 5 now, and its been really good lately.

oxyjen
19 Aug 2009, 09:19 PM
uh except its on like season 5 now, and its been really good lately.

I realize it's on Season 5. I'm still watching, though for more of habit than out of passion for the show now. I don't want to say too much for people like Kuranes who are catching up on the show, but I hated the general major twists of S3-S5. The twists and turns in the show in earlier seasons were suspenseful, surprising, believable but still retaining an air of mystery underlying the big questions. Now it seems the storyline has more holes than a block of swiss cheese and the producers shove new questions in place of old, and a lot of the big questions of earlier seasons now have been made seemingly irrelevant or nonsensical. It's still a worthwhile show, but instead of the series culminating in a tightly woven narrative fabric, it seems the producers are constantly doing some bait-and-switch that has little payoff for me.

nonperson
19 Aug 2009, 09:21 PM
Mad Men season 3 premiers this Sunday on AMC. Its one of my favorite shows, I'm surprised at how little attention it receives. why not more attention?

Needs more advertising?

shadow master
19 Aug 2009, 09:22 PM
I loved the Dukes of Hazzard as a kid. Who would name their kids Cooter, Cleatus, and Enus?

80 page GIANT
19 Aug 2009, 09:23 PM
I started watching season 1 of Lost In Space this weekend. I find it amusing that its set in the 'far flung future' of 1997.

last_caress
19 Aug 2009, 09:30 PM

yeah didn't really pay much attention, but I've heard recommendations to see that and deadwood, so I'm going to check them out now.

nonperson
19 Aug 2009, 09:36 PM
I started watching season 1 of Lost In Space this weekend. I find it amusing that its set in the 'far flung future' of 1997.

One of my favourite programs is called Space 1999 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1999).

80 page GIANT
19 Aug 2009, 09:44 PM
One of my favourite programs is called Space 1999 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1999).

I've got the first 12 episodes, and have been watching them also. I just picked up volume 2 nine days ago, and I had found volume 1 a couple of months ago in the same thrift store. Its the first I had seen Space:1999 since it aired back in the mid-seventies, and I had forgotten how good it was.

nonperson
19 Aug 2009, 09:54 PM
I've got the first 12 episodes, and have been watching them also. I just picked up volume 2 nine days ago, and I had found volume 1 a couple of months ago in the same thrift store. Its the first I had seen Space:1999 since it aired back in the mid-seventies, and I had forgotten how good it was.

I like both seasons for different reasons. Season 1 because it is nice and dark and cold; it had scale as well, not quite cinematic, but it felt large. Season because it is quicker jazzier, more American? Even though Anderson's had designed the series to appeal to American audiences from the get go.

My only gripe (one that can be levelled at many 60's and 70's ere pop TV sci-fi) is that they do use certain astronomical terms incorrectly. I don't mind physics taking a back seat to get things going but there is no excuse for poor science.

Somewhere else on the forum I have said that if won the lottery my lounge would look like HMS Warrior's gun deck. But I think my study would look Alpha Mission Control. I am closet concrete fan. And I like seventies plastic orange. (Once I bought a Tasco telescope just because it reminded me of something from 70's sci-fi show.)

nonperson
19 Aug 2009, 09:58 PM
While I am here, no more Dollhouse for a while. :sadbanana:

Pantycrickets
19 Aug 2009, 10:01 PM
Invasion was the coolest show ever, I cried when it was cancelled.

nonperson
19 Aug 2009, 10:04 PM
Invasion was the coolest show ever, I cried when it was cancelled.

I never got to see this, but looked OK.

I am sorry for your loss. :sadbanana:

Pantycrickets
19 Aug 2009, 10:27 PM
I never got to see this, but looked OK.

I am sorry for your loss. :sadbanana:

I appreciate your sympathy.

lpethe
20 Aug 2009, 12:28 AM
love mad men, too.

completely unrelated: venture brothers is really rocking it lately.

...is "24" really dead? because he was my favorite. the fat one is nothing without him.

Oso Mocoso
20 Aug 2009, 01:41 AM
love mad men, too.

completely unrelated: venture brothers is really rocking it lately.

...is "24" really dead? because he was my favorite. the fat one is nothing without him.

I *adore* Venture Brothers. Anything Ben Edlund has ever worked on has been wonderful. You probably already know about it, but if you like Venture Brothers you'll also love The Tick. There was a Tick cartoon, a live action series and a bunch of comic books.

MacGuffin
21 Aug 2009, 02:53 AM
While I am here, no more Dollhouse for a while. :sadbanana:

I finally got to see the unaired "Epitaph One" episode. Set ten years in the future, it was mind-blowing. The best episode of the series so far, and they didn't show it on TV! :sadbanana:

Harion
23 Aug 2009, 10:01 AM
anyone here watch 4400? wish it got finished?

80 page GIANT
24 Aug 2009, 04:10 PM
I *adore* Venture Brothers. Anything Ben Edlund has ever worked on has been wonderful. You probably already know about it, but if you like Venture Brothers you'll also love The Tick. There was a Tick cartoon, a live action series and a bunch of comic books.

I didn't know that Ben Edlund was involved with the Venture Bros. That's very interesting, yet it doesn't surprise me. The Venture Bros. is probably my favorite contemporary show, and one of favorite comedies of all time. I loved the Tick too, hilarious stuff (recently got the live action series on dvd, anyone know if the animated series is available on dvd too?).

I met Ben Edlund about 12 years ago at a party when he was in town for a comic convention - super nice guy. We were joking around about putting guitar picks into vending machines.

kuranes
24 Aug 2009, 04:57 PM
I realize it's on Season 5. I'm still watching, though for more of habit than out of passion for the show now. I just saw my first "Season 4" show last night. Hmmm. I thought that I had reached the end of Season 3 before beginning to undertake this, of course. Somehow i appear to have missed a show. Although this has happened in the past, where I knew I hadn't missed a show, and they eventually backtracked to where I thought we had left off. But there's a lot more missing this time, and it looks like they're starting to get into "alternate realities" and "Flash forwards" etc. which probably ties into the weird lottery number and the one guy's ability to see into the future and the island's powers and the secrecy/greed about it all etc. but just makes "missing" an episode all the more challenging to decipher. The episode I missed apparently had Charlie, the musician with the heroin habit, dying as a hero. There had earlier been a side feature about "the making of an episode" that showed days in Charlie's English neighborhood back home. ( Guess they had a tough time finding a loft for it in Hawaii, or something like that. ) Odd that I would see a vid about the making of the one chapter that I missed, assuming both of those sequences came from the same segment. Seems like the point that they are at now is one that I thought we might be spared from seeing again, for a while at least. That is, namely, groups of people holding hostages and traipsing back and forth across the island. It seems odd that, by this point, they haven't got some of the "others" to tell them at least a little bit more about what motivates them to do what they do. I don't look forward to a lot of implausible actions ( such as murder of a non-threatening pretty girl etc. ) for the reason of "stopping a time line that was somehow 'wrong'" either. Too much room for deus ex machina cheats down that road.

I've never even heard of the Venture Brothers. Sounds like a mid-60's surfer rock show.:) What's the 411 on that ? yo yadda yadda.

I missed some episodes of Mad Men too, but the loss didn't seem as crucial somehow, with that show. I was just a child during that era, and so maybe I'm missing something that I would have caught if I'd been an adult then; but at least some of the characters seem "off" in a hard to describe kind of way, even though the show is on target in other ways re: realism. The "story" seems more focused on just creating a period mood. The one guy - who once tried to use his knowledge of the main guy's adopting the identity of a fellow service man - in order to push him around, by threatening to tell his boss...Yeah, that guy. Whatever his name is. Something about him just seems weird. For one thing, he looks like a kid in Senior year of High School instead of the grown man he's supposed to be. ( Did he blow somebody to get the part ? ) I don't always understand what makes him do things, besides the writers calling for it in the script, I mean. Nor do I understand why he seems to get forgiven for his shit so readily, either.

80 page GIANT
24 Aug 2009, 05:25 PM
I've never even heard of the Venture Brothers. Sounds like a mid-60's surfer rock show.:) What's the 411 on that ? yo yadda yadda.
]

That's what I first thought when I heard the title too (I love the band the Ventures).

Its a show on Cartoon Network (and yes, its animated). Its sort of like a twisted send up of a grown-up Johnny Quest, with lots of absurdist humor. (And it features the most evil, treacherous, and most incompetent supervillain of all time, The Monarch!)

Patrick Warburton is the voice of Doc Ventures' bodyguard, Brock Samson (Warburton played the Tick in the live action tv show, and also now stars in another sitcom). A really funny show - especially if you are into superheroes or sci-fi /spy/adventure- type stuff.

A friend of mine, Matt Jenkins, whom I've worked with on a few animation projects, moved to NYC a few years ago and now draws for the Venture Bros. show as a character/prop designer. (lucky b@st@rd!)

kuranes
24 Aug 2009, 05:38 PM
That's what I first thought when I heard the title too (I love the band the Ventures).

Its a show on Cartoon Network (and yes, its animated). Ah. I remember enjoying the original Johnny Quest when it first came out. The guy "Race Banner" was the hunky confident "assistant" to Dr. Quest, and his voice always sounded familiar. I think that I assumed the same voice did the original Space Ghost ( before it became especially zany ) and some other roles that called for a similar male figure. ( Space Angel ? ) Later I found out that he was probably modeled on Doc Savage, although I'm not sure whether Bama's signature depiction of the Doc came just before or just after.

Funny to think about the guys and women who do the voices of the cartoon characters. Everyone's heard of Mel Blanc, of course, but what of the others ? ( I have a great Mel Blanc anecdote for whoever is interested, too. ) The man who did the park ranger's voice on "Yogi Bear" also did Boo-Boo's voice ! A separate guy did Yogi. Rocky the Flying Squirrel was actually done by a woman. Can't remember if the same woman did Natasha.

With a name like "80 Page Giant" I assume you're into comic books too.

80 page GIANT
24 Aug 2009, 08:10 PM
Ah. I remember enjoying the original Johnny Quest when it first came out. The guy "Race Banner" was the hunky confident "assistant" to Dr. Quest, and his voice always sounded familiar. I think that I assumed the same voice did the original Space Ghost ( before it became especially zany ) and some other roles that called for a similar male figure. ( Space Angel ? ) Later I found out that he was probably modeled on Doc Savage, although I'm not sure whether Bama's signature depiction of the Doc came just before or just after.

Funny to think about the guys and women who do the voices of the cartoon characters. Everyone's heard of Mel Blanc, of course, but what of the others ? ( I have a great Mel Blanc anecdote for whoever is interested, too. ) The man who did the park ranger's voice on "Yogi Bear" also did Boo-Boo's voice ! A separate guy did Yogi. Rocky the Flying Squirrel was actually done by a woman. Can't remember if the same woman did Natasha.

With a name like "80 Page Giant" I assume you're into comic books too.

Oh yes, I am a comic book fiend. I'm mostly into older comics, like from the 1950s through the 70s, but I keep up with the new stuff too, to a degree.

Jonny Quest has even made a couple of cameos on The Venture Bros., as a grown-up loser drug addict (since Cartoon Network is owned by Time Warner, which also owns Hannah Barbera, they can get away with that).

I had never heard that Race Bannon was modeled on Doc Savage, but they both do have funky, similar hair. Cool that you are familiar with the work of James Bama - I'm not sure when he started painting the Doc Savage paperback covers, but I think it was probably after Jonny Quest aired. Doc Savage started in the pulp magazines of the 1930s though, so they could have used those as inspiration. I think Doug Wildey designed Race Bannon, and all of the JQ characters - he was a great old school cartoonist who I'm sure was very familiar with the Doc Savage pulps. (BTW, I recently got a great book on James Bama called 'American Realist', I highly recommend it!)

Funny that you should mention Space Ghost and cartoon voices. I've met George Lowe a few times, who did the voice of the 'zany' Space Ghost for the Coast to Coast talk show. He's a funny guy, you never know what he's going to say next.

And one of my very best buds is C. Martin Croker, who was the voice of Zorak and Moltar on the Space Ghost talk show (he was also animation director for the show as well). Originally Herve Villechaize was going to do the voice of Zorak, but he committed suicide before the first episode was ready for the voice recordings. So my buddy Clay (' C. Martin') got the role at the last minute, since he had a talent for voices as well as drawing, and was a big fan of the original series. He was the only one involved with the new series who even knew what the original Zorak sounded like (as a matter of fact, it was Clay's idea to feature Zorak, a villain from the original series, in the new talk show to begin with).

If memory serves, I think it was Daws Butler that was the voice of Yogi Bear. I don't remember who did Boo-Boo and Ranger Smith, but Clay could tell you. Clay is a walking encyclopedia on animation and cartoon voices.

Let's hear your Mel Blanc anecdote! (boy, he was the king of the voice artists....his Warner Bros. voices are incredible).

(Hmmm, I seem to be doing a lot of name dropping in my posts today....)

kuranes
25 Aug 2009, 12:13 AM
Oh yes, I am a comic book fiend. I'm mostly into older comics, like from the 1950s through the 70s, .......... I think Doug Wildey designed Race Bannon, and all of the JQ characters - he was a great old school cartoonist who I'm sure was very familiar with the Doc Savage pulps. (BTW, I recently got a great book on James Bama called 'American Realist', I highly recommend it!)

Let's hear your Mel Blanc anecdote! (boy, he was the king of the voice artists....his Warner Bros. voices are incredible).

(Hmmm, I seem to be doing a lot of name dropping in my posts today....)I use names if it helps to have a specific example versus just speaking of generalities. I never worry about "dropping" them. Let Hustler and his buddies backbite each other over that shit.

It looks like JQ and James Bama's Doc both got started in 1964. Wikipedia indicates that JQ was inspired by a radio show about an adventurer named Jack from radio, and from "Dr. No" ( the movie ? I forget the date on that as well. ) It also indicates Doug Wildey worked with Toth on "Space Angel" and so I was right in my guess about that.

I do own the Bama book you're mentioning. He's always been one of my inspirations - one of the greats, even though he dropped "genre" work for "fine art" - he's still restricting himself to the Southwest theme of cowboys, Indians and ranches etc.

I sold off a lot of my comics a few years ago, in order to raise money for buying some original art available at the time. I had a lot of pre-code weird, but mostly non-EC stuff.

It looks like comic book characters are finally hitting the big time - with the start they got with the Batman movie that had Keaton and Nicholson. Now everybody wants a piece of it.

80 page GIANT
25 Aug 2009, 12:23 AM
I use names if it helps to have a specific example versus just speaking of generalities. I never worry about "dropping" them. Let Hustler and his buddies backbite each other over that shit.

It looks like JQ and James Bama's Doc both got started in 1964. Wikipedia indicates that JQ was inspired by a radio show about an adventurer named Jack from radio, and from "Dr. No" ( the movie ? I forget the date on that as well. ) It also indicates Doug Wildey worked with Toth on "Space Angel" and so I was right in my guess about that.

I was thinking JQ started a year or two earlier and that Bama's DS covers started a year or two later, so thanks for the info (boy was '64 a great year for pop culture, or what?) I think Dr. No came out in '62. (I could google it, but I'm fairly confident that I've got that right.) I didn't know that Wildey worked with Toth on Space Angel, but that doesn't surprise me.

I do own the Bama book you're mentioning. He's always been one of my inspirations - one of the greats, even though he dropped "genre" work for "fine art" - he's still restricting himself to the Southwest theme of cowboys, Indians and ranches etc.

Yeah, Bama was fantastic. I'm not as into his western work, but I'm glad that he's still painting.

I sold off a lot of my comics a few years ago, in order to raise money for buying some original art available at the time. I had a lot of pre-code weird, but mostly non-EC stuff.

Wow, very cool. I am a big EC fan, and also love the pre-code weird books, such as the Harvey horror titles. Original art is mainly what I collect. I've got a handful of EC pages, and a few Harvey horror pages....I absolutely love the stuff. I didn't realize that you were into comics, much less a collector with such refined tastes! Nice to bump into a fellow art collector, and another fan of the pre-code weird stuff as well. If I were independently wealthy, that's the genre I'd be collecting these days.

squats
25 Aug 2009, 04:52 AM
Just saw my first episode of hoarders (http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/). I am in love.

This is what TCAP and intervention were leading to, the ultimate in loserporn handcrafted by the most loving cable network on the planet. I mean, Cold Case Files at 9 in the morning? I LOVE YOU A&E.

kuranes
25 Aug 2009, 12:16 PM
Just saw my first episode of hoarders (http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/). I am in love.
I saw an ad for a show called "Intervention" that was going to be about a hoarder. I thought it was a one shot. Maybe it is for "Intervention", and this other show decided to make it a permanent focus.

I'm something of a hoarder myself, by the definitions of many folk. My one sister is 100 times the hoarder that I am, though. The other sister is an ESXJ and despises any kind of clutter. Very appearances oriented. She is also the only one of us four kids to get married.

MacGuffin
30 Aug 2009, 03:14 PM
Summer Glau joins Dollhouse (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b141433_this_just_in_summer_glau_joins_dollhouse.html).

nonperson
30 Aug 2009, 03:44 PM
Summer Glau joins Dollhouse (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b141433_this_just_in_summer_glau_joins_dollhouse.html).

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nonperson
30 Aug 2009, 04:17 PM
Bump!!!!

Scott
30 Aug 2009, 07:11 PM
Fantastic! And Wesley too!

nonperson
30 Aug 2009, 07:13 PM
Wesley

Sorry you've lost me. ;):grin::p

BTW did you know Summer Glau is going to be on Dollhouse next season?

last_caress
30 Aug 2009, 07:19 PM
watching deadwood (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348914/) and frisky dingo (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0865409/) the past few days.

deadwood drew me in right away and frisky dingo grew on me after a few episodes.

OgKgYcjm8tA

http://2.media.tumblr.com/azR2ZKec1oh6dr0qHPnkpH0Yo1_500.jpg

nonperson
30 Aug 2009, 07:20 PM
watching deadwood (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348914/) and frisky dingo (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0865409/) the past few days.

deadwood drew me in right away and frisky dingo grew on me after a few episodes.

Lovely. But what has this to do with Summer Glau?

Scott
30 Aug 2009, 08:08 PM
Sorry you've lost me. ;):grin::p

BTW did you know Summer Glau is going to be on Dollhouse next season?

Wait, did you just say SUMMER GLAU is going to be on Dollhouse? Fantastic! Ooh, and Lee Adama too!

nonperson
30 Aug 2009, 08:14 PM
Wait, did you just say SUMMER GLAU is going to be on Dollhouse? Fantastic!

You lost me after this point.

Scott
30 Aug 2009, 08:16 PM
Saul Tigh?

nonperson
30 Aug 2009, 08:19 PM
Saul Tigh?

You've lapsed into gibberish now.

Scott
30 Aug 2009, 08:23 PM
You've lapsed into gibberish now.

Yeah, you're probably right. Btw, I don't know if you'd really care or anything, but I just saw an interesting article...

Apparently SUMMER GLAU is going to be on Dollhouse next season!!!!

nonperson
30 Aug 2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. Btw, I don't know if you'd really care or anything, but I just saw an interesting article...

Apparently SUMMER GLAU is going to be on Dollhouse next season!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flegenheimer
30 Aug 2009, 08:47 PM
Michael and Michael was better than I thought it would be, and it might actually be mainstream enough to not get cancelled.

I did spend most of the time watching it wishing it was Stella though. God I hope they get back together. To this day it makes me laugh, even though I practically have it memorized.

"What's your name?"
"John"
"Oh, that's a beautiful name! Is that Navajo?"

Ghost-Girl
3 Sep 2009, 07:39 AM
http://2.media.tumblr.com/azR2ZKec1oh6dr0qHPnkpH0Yo1_500.jpg
You're "Doom!"?

Why you're? Why the quotation marks?

Harion
5 Sep 2009, 07:04 AM
would i be pelted with tomatoes and other market produce
and earn a barrage of insults if i ask if anyone here watches TMZ?

Thirsty
5 Sep 2009, 07:36 AM
would i be pelted with tomatoes and other market produce
and earn a barrage of insults if i ask if anyone here watches TMZ?

Pardon me, I just am overly disdainful about celebrity culture. I'm going to take an educated guess and say that there aren't many INTPs who like TMZ. But, I may yet be surprised.

Wise Fool
7 Sep 2009, 01:39 AM
TMZ cracks me up. I think, "People actually watch this? - and I'm one of them? hahahah!"
maybe i just crack myself up

last_caress
7 Sep 2009, 03:19 AM
You're "Doom!"?

Why you're? Why the quotation marks?

It's no secret that I watch a ton of television, whether it be Arrested Development, The Office, Lost, Veronica Mars, or Salute Your Shorts, but I think the hardest I've laughed has been at watching Adult Swim's semi-new cartoon, Frisky Dingo. It's probably the best plotted and thought-out show since Arrested Development was cancelled, with storylines and jokes that arc the entire season and hilarious callbacks in the later episodes. At its base the show has a fairly common superhero-type plot, with a civilized, aristocratic villain (Killface) who wants to destroy the earth and a superhero/billionaire (Awesome X) who's avenging his murdered parents, but it also takes place in a world where heroes and villains have to deal with marketing and bureaucracy. Trust me though it's funnier than it sounds, for example:

Early in the season, Killface is forced to use postcards to market his plan but the prints go out with a few grammatical errors, which makes Killface furious with his PR team: 'Why does it say ˜Welcome to you are Doom'?. What does that even mean? And why, for God's sake, is 'Doom' in quotes? Is the wink implied?'�

Although Frisky Dingo could really run off its one-liners it's the characters that drive the show. The first few episodes introduces the characters, puts them in a completely ridiculous situation (can you say 'super intelligent, radioactive waste-covered ants'�?) and then let's them run wild for the rest of the season as the plot line gets more and more complicated (hilarity ensues). Adult Swim is reshowing the first season currently but I suggest you go buy the season at iTunes (or watch it all somewhere else). The rewatch value of this show is ridiculously high, I've viewed some of the episode 4 or 5 times and am still catching jokes...

watch the clip
http://blog.urbanbohemian.com/2009/04/08/5201/

I fucking love that show.

bluebell
8 Sep 2009, 12:39 PM
ok, so I'm way late with this, but Dexter! zomg :wub: Just discovered this show while travelling. A friend raved about it a couple of years back but it was only available on pay TV here at the time. Now I finally have a reason to plug my TV in and set it up. Need to find DVDs of the earlier series too.

Harion
12 Sep 2009, 07:36 AM
TMZ cracks me up. I think, "People actually watch this? - and I'm one of them? hahahah!"
maybe i just crack myself up

yeah. i watch it for amusement.
kind of like trying to find out how much more ppl can be shallow

and then i'm like: shit, i'm getting what they're saying...

Pristinegirl
12 Sep 2009, 11:49 AM
AMAGASH, I CANT BELIEVE they fused Grease with Scrubs <3.
IT WAS JUST SO EPIC AND BRILLIANT HAha!!

Grease + Scrubs

kali
12 Sep 2009, 12:15 PM
ok, so I'm way late with this, but Dexter! zomg :wub: Just discovered this show while travelling. A friend raved about it a couple of years back but it was only available on pay TV here at the time. Now I finally have a reason to plug my TV in and set it up. Need to find DVDs of the earlier series too.

I think Dexter's last name ("Morgan") was chosen because it sounds like morgue. Dexter's great. :D I love the whole concept of a vigilante seriakiller.

I tried reading the book it spawned from - Darkly Dreaming Dexter - but I couldn't swallow any of it...

Ill eagle
12 Sep 2009, 12:18 PM

Prison Break is most likely better ;)

kali
12 Sep 2009, 12:31 PM
FREAKS AND GEEKS IS THE BEST TV SHOW EVER PRODUCED.

F&G

Jesus is just all right with me

Pristinegirl
12 Sep 2009, 12:35 PM
Prison Break is most likely better ;)

PRISON BREAK ROCKS!! I cried so much in the end :(

ryan_m_parr
12 Sep 2009, 04:51 PM
PRISON BREAK ROCKS!! I cried so much in the end :(

Did you ever have 'Jesus Lever' in Sweden? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0226861/) I've been trying to find it on video.google.com though it doesn't show up.

Jesus is just all right with me

That one guy next to the piano reminds me of my Uncle. . . Though he would pull out his guitar if available, and sing.

Anonymous
16 Sep 2009, 07:19 AM
Dollhouse was pretty great! I have to say though, I don't like Eliza Dushku. She's a good actor and everything, but there's just something about her that makes me go ew. Enver Gjokaj is an excellent actor, and Miracle Laurie is pretty good as well (does she remind anyone else of Jewel Staite, aka Kaylee from Firefly?).

Spartan26
18 Sep 2009, 06:26 AM
Did anyone watch Community? I thought it was pretty good. I thought the banter was best when it wasn't trying so hard. There's something a little too clean about a couple of the characters but I'm hoping they don't become too standard faire-ish sitcomy.

I would say American Family and Flashforward def worth checking out.

ciphersort
18 Sep 2009, 07:26 AM
Football! Fuck yeh!

Scott
4 Oct 2009, 12:31 AM
Dollhouse was pretty great! I have to say though, I don't like Eliza Dushku. She's a good actor and everything, but there's just something about her that makes me go ew. Enver Gjokaj is an excellent actor, and Miracle Laurie is pretty good as well (does she remind anyone else of Jewel Staite, aka Kaylee from Firefly?).

Yes! Though she was a bit different in this past episode. I'm never quite sure what to think of Dollhouse. I'm interested to see where it goes and I'm generally committed to watching anything Joss Whedon makes, but I just don't love it yet.

I think one of Whedon's huge strengths is his ability to make characters I love (and maybe equally important, who he clearly loves), and then to work from there. Maybe I feel like most of Whedon's shows start with the firm foundation of loved characters, then the situations they get in and the choices they make wind up reflecting reality in profound ways. In contrast Dollhouse feels more like it starts with the things he wants to say and the plots he wants to push and the characters are just, well, characters, within these stores. I typically love how he almost seems to dignify his characters as though they were real people and for the most part avoid objectifying them as a means to his ends (or at least the feel of it). I'm still interested in what he has to say and like parts a whole lot, but I just don't feel enough that way about the characters yet.

I'd be interested to hear more about how others feel about the show so far.

Ghost-Girl
7 Oct 2009, 07:23 PM
About thirty years late, but: I've been watching Blakes 7. How did I not know that it was conceived by Terry Nation? That seems so odd...I expect Daleks to come rolling around corners at any moment.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying it. And Paul Darrow in thigh high boots. :lol:

Anonymous
28 Nov 2009, 03:06 AM
Watching V, it's pretty decent so far.

Also, it's like the quality of TV shows is directly correlated to how many members of Firefly it has.

last_caress
28 Nov 2009, 03:42 AM
I'd like to see this new thing with david cross and will arnett, but apparently it only aired in the uk so far.

The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLPsSZf5YKY)

American Todd Margaret bluffs his way into an apparently great job opportunity, heading up the sales team in his employer's London office. All he has to do is sell a dozen container loads
of dodgy Korean energy drink before his psychotic boss visits him in a week. Simple. Apart from the fact that he knows nothing about British culture and nothing about sales. He also only has one employee to assist him, Dave, who is perhaps the most wilfully unhelpful employee ever.

MacGuffin
30 Nov 2009, 02:13 AM
Best part of the recent episode:

http://lookliker.com/2008/08/29/mike-tomlin-looks-like-omar-epps/

http://lookliker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/omar-epps-mike-tomlin.jpg

Trentham
30 Nov 2009, 02:00 PM
Best part of the recent episode:

http://lookliker.com/2008/08/29/mike-tomlin-looks-like-omar-epps/

http://lookliker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/omar-epps-mike-tomlin.jpg
Yes, that was freaking hilarious!

squats
8 Dec 2009, 05:07 PM
Season premiere of Hoarders. I don't think they'll be able to top it in the rest of the season, the rest of the series, or anywhere in the future of tv.

This woman had created an absolute hell for herself- I'll get to the spoilers...

The scene opens in a small, two-story, one-bedroom, post 1950 house somewhere in Washington. The woman is a shut-in, living without the benefit of heat or running water. Every room is filled to about waist level with garbage.

She has medical problems from living in her own filth-the largest portion of which comes from the fact that she uses adult diapers to relieve herself, and just leaves them laying around after using them. The bathroom is filled to the eyeball with the accumulated 2 years of these soiled diapers.

She lives each day in her kitchen, in a portable medical toilet. This is where she eats, sit, and sleeps- for the last two years. She has given up on taking her diapers to the bathroom, and just throws them over her shoulder into the rest of the kitchen. At night, she ties herself into the chair so she won't fall down among her feces and suffocate. This has happened once, and the paramedics had to be called to rescue her.

So, they get to cleaning. They estimate the weight of the accumulated feces to be about 2 tons. The best part is that the bathroom floor has been eaten through by the urine and feces. There's a hole big enough to fall through.

Of course, they won't let her back in the house. She has to sell it and move into state-run, assisted living that's covered by medicare and social security. Happy ever after. :sadbanana:

avolkiteshvara
8 Dec 2009, 05:11 PM
The last intervention show I saw was awesome.

This guy was taking morphine for a hurt back. He'd get so loaded, he talk with Nigerian lottery scammers, keep up a relationship, and keep giving them money. He was such a fucking crazy hick wreck of a hillbilly, I really wanted to hang out with him. Could've been Gary Busey brother.

http://www.aetv.com/intervention/video/?bcpid=53411497001&bclid=54178157001&bctid=53961199001

MacGuffin
12 Dec 2009, 01:50 AM
I hope you all are getting your Summer Glau fix on Dollhouse, because Fox canceled yet another Joss Whedon show...

Spain has a cool chessboard promo for Lost (featuring Radiohead music):

Everything in its right place

Ghost-Girl
5 Jan 2010, 07:29 AM
Doctor Who.

There was some parts I liked, but there were also many many plot holes and ridiculous bits in Tennant's regeneration story.

I'm glad that the show is changing reigns. I might actually be looking forward to the 2010 episodes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/TheGhostGirl/mattsmithgif.gif

Limey
5 Jan 2010, 03:31 PM
V = it's crap, needs moar chav.

Desperate housewives = It's stupid, has a predictable plot line, has to be narrated for the, still not getting it target audience and features numerous reprises of what can only be described as "clown sneaking up on a victim with a custard pie" "bop pop diddly bop pom pom pom" type music.

Rhu
5 Jan 2010, 07:13 PM
Doctor Who.

There was some parts I liked, but there were also many many plot holes and ridiculous bits in Tennant's regeneration story.

I'm glad that the show is changing reigns. I might actually be looking forward to the 2010 episodes.

Agreed on all points. I don't think the screen time devoted to temporary return of the Time Lords could have been more hammy. Also, the alien scavenger people had this perpetual look of surprise at being on television. And the denouement had all the cringeworthy sentimentality of Davies' production run without any of the complications of speculative fiction. I was half expecting to see the Doctor inexplicably making out with the Master or Wilfred, just to complete things.

The new head of the project was the head writer on what were probably the best episodes of the past five seasons. Almost certainly the best received critically. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Moffat#Awards_and_nominations)

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that there aren't any more lame romantic story arcs. And jesusfuckingchrist, please, no more catch phrases for the T-Shirts.

Ghost-Girl
5 Jan 2010, 09:14 PM
Agreed on all points. I don't think the screen time devoted to temporary return of the Time Lords could have been more hammy. Also, the alien scavenger people had this perpetual look of surprise at being on television. And the denouement had all the cringeworthy sentimentality of Davies' production run without any of the complications of speculative fiction. I was half expecting to see the Doctor inexplicably making out with the Master or Wilfred, just to complete things.

The new head of the project was the head writer on what were probably the best episodes of the past five seasons. Almost certainly the best received critically. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Moffat#Awards_and_nominations)

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that there aren't any more lame romantic story arcs. And jesusfuckingchrist, please, no more catch phrases for the T-Shirts.

Yeah, I've generally been pleased with the episodes that Moffat has written (except for the library two-parter which, while it was structured better than anything we've seen from RTD, had some themes I wasn't very fond of). He's also a noted fan of the fifth Doctor's era, and I definitely wouldn't mind a few aspects from that era coming back.

Spoilers:

He's already giving us a young doctor with no eyebrows with a feisty girl fond of short skirts. Oh, and some sort of male companion will be around as well, it seems! They both seem like they'll be human, but you never know.

As for romantic story arcs and catch phrases...

We're seeing the return of River Song in Season 5, which suggests that whatever sort of relationship they were eluding to in the library episodes (including the worrying "you know my name" bit) is going to happen.

Oh, and he's snogging Amy in the trailer.

Geronimo, indeed.

Trailer

stigmatica
24 Jan 2010, 10:00 PM
So I was in the mood for some documentaries last night, and went thumbing through the Netflix instant play library for some. I ended up watching "Jesus Camp", a documentary following some fundamentalist Christian kids, parents, and.. uh.. professional brain washers.

I would be loathe to watch it again, though not because it was a bad documentary. Basically you're watching a RL documentary of the process by which insane fundamentalists are using to brainwash and destroy the minds of young kids. Twenty minutes into the film, I literally felt sick to my stomach. I started imagining myself rescuing all the kids, and trying to re-orient them to reality while interrogating the parents to find out if they are permanently brain damaged as well, or just evil, or both without realizing it.

Interestingly, what I saw in this documentary is by no means new to me. I was one of these kids long ago. My parents were just like the parents you see in this documentary, except I was never taken out of the public school system. I knew many kids just as far gone as these growing up, but it never got to me. Why? I attended these same camps, and revivals, and pentecostal churches as a kid and never once did I feel anything but embarrassed and out of place among them and my family. As a kid, I thought the adults were insane/stupid, and the kids like those highlighted in the documentary just as weird and insane.

I was "Saved" too, as far as the adults were concerned. I had the full story of my "save" memorized, as the adults often required you to tell it. I was 8 years old, and a traveling pentecostal/revival puppet show was playing at the church. Towards the end of the puppet show, kids were babbling in tongues, women were crying tears all over the chairs (I remember that specifically, because I found the puddles of tears on the chairs interesting for some reason, and found it amusing when the criers sat in them later.) They pulled the typical guilt, if your not coming up front to be saved/forgiven etc.. then you're a horrible sinner kid going to hell... etc.. and it wasn't long till I was one of the only kids left in the audience who had not gone up front. Some man singled me out, basically pulled me up front, and then started asking me all kinds of uncomfortable nonsensical questions... like when/how/where was I saved... I could not answer, and therefore he had his mission. Eventually, I acted out whatever I thought I needed to in order to appear to have been "saved", and was able to escape. From that day forward, when asked... the puppet show... 8 years old... felt awesome... etc.. was my answer to escape another trap.

Anywho... when I finished this documentary last night, I had an overwhelming urge to go put a stop to all that nonsense. Of course, I have no idea how to go about doing it... and eventually I watched something else, and the sick feeling passed.

For you Europeans that would like a sneak peak into what the bottom of the barrel fundamentalists Christians look like in the US, watch this show. It gave me flashbacks. I need a shower.

kali
3 Feb 2010, 12:12 AM
Rewatching Freaks and Geeks - such good writing for the series.

uY_r5O4PKi4

"you cut me off mid-funk"

Zelda
3 Feb 2010, 12:50 AM
Rewatching Freaks and Geeks - such good writing for the series.

uY_r5O4PKi4

"you cut me off mid-funk"

I've heard a lot of good things about that show but didn't have cable back in 2000 or so. Is it worth picking up the box set of the show?

I didn't read the entire thread so if it hasn't been mentioned, Breaking Bad is definitely worth watching.

kali
3 Feb 2010, 01:07 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about that show but didn't have cable back in 2000 or so. Is it worth picking up the box set of the show?

I didn't read the entire thread so if it hasn't been mentioned, Breaking Bad is definitely worth watching.

You can watch the whole series on youtube. Starting from here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSRBh_F3zAw&feature=related). There's only about 18 or so episodes.

But if you'd rather watch it on TV, you should buy the whole series. Even if you don't like it, you'll like it. And I don't know how that works.

Zelda
3 Feb 2010, 02:35 AM
You can watch the whole series on youtube. Starting from here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSRBh_F3zAw&feature=related). There's only about 18 or so episodes.

But if you'd rather watch it on TV, you should buy the whole series. Even if you don't like it, you'll like it. And I don't know how that works.

Excellent! Thanks for that.

MacGuffin
3 Feb 2010, 02:21 PM
Oh yeah, for those of you that bailed on Dollhouse early, you really missed out.

Such a shame everything had to be compressed into a few last episodes. Had Whedon been given time to let the series breathe, it would've been epic.

Instead, people like karaoke competitions.

nonperson
3 Feb 2010, 03:18 PM
Oh yeah, for those of you that bailed on Dollhouse early, you really missed out.

I can't see what problems people had with the show in the first place. Yes its shame that arc is being compressed because of cancellation.

I don't know what to make of Caprica just yet. Well acted, looks good etc. but I don't know. I do know Alessandra Torresani is a naughty, naughty girl and needs a spanking. :p