PDA

View Full Version : Holland Codes

Curtis24
21 Oct 2008, 09:36 AM
Okay, Holland Codes is a career counseling system that divides jobs into six general types. You're given a questionairre that asks you questions about your past experiences and your interests, and from that they assign you to one or more of the types. Which is in turn supposed to help you find a suitable job. Does anyone have any experience with this? And how accurate was the test for you? (they usually give out at career offices in colleges and high school)

Oh, and here's a description:

Investigative is one of the Holland Codes. Investigative types prefer to deal with Things and Ideas.
A person with a Investigative Personality tends to be analytical, intellectual, reserved, independent, and scholarly.
Examples of Investigative Abilities include working with abstract ideas and intellectual problems.
Examples of Investigative Holland Code Careers include Biologist, Chemist, Historian, Researcher, Doctor, and Mathematician.
Possible Investigative College Majors are Botany, Engineering, Forestry Science, Physics, and Foreign Languages.

Artistic is one of the Holland Code Career Types. Artistic types prefer to deal with Ideas and People.
A person with a Artistic Personality tends to be Complicated, Original, Impulsive, Independent, Expressive, and Creative.
Examples of Artistic Abilities include using imagination and feelings in creative expression .
Examples of Artistic Holland Code Careers include Artist, Musician, Actor/ Actress, Designer, Writer, and Photographer.
Possible Artistic College Majors are Art, Theater, Graphic Design, Music, Journalism, and Communication.

Social is one of the Holland Occupational Codes. Social types prefer to deal with People.
A person with a Social Personality tends to be Helping, Informing, Teaching, Inspiring, Counseling, and Serving.
Examples of Social Abilities include interacting with people and concerned with the welfare of people.
Examples of Social Holland Code Careers include Teacher, Clergy, Coach, Therapist, Nurse, Counselor, and Sociologist.
Possible Social College Majors are Nursing, Christian Education, Counseling, Biblical Studies, Social Science, and Education.

Enterprising is one of the Holland Occupational Codes. Enterprising types prefer to deal with Data and People.
A person with an Enterprising Personality tends to be Characteristics: Persuasive, Energetic, Sociable, Adventurous, Ambitious, and Risk-taking.
Examples of Enterprising Abilities include leading, managing, and organizing.
Examples of Enterprising Holland Code Careers include Manager, Producer, Lawyer, Business/ Marketing, Executive, Entrepreneur, and Principal.
Possible Enterprising College Majors are Pre-Law, Business Management and Administration, International Business, and Political Science.

Conventional is one of the Holland Occupational Codes. Conventional types prefer to deal with Data and Things.
A person with a Conventional Personality tends to be Careful, Conforming, Conservative, Conscientious, Self-controlled, and Structured.
Examples of Conventional Abilities include ordering activities paying attention to details.
Examples of Conventional Holland Code Careers include Accountant, Banker, Editor, Office Manager, Librarian, and Reporter.
Possible Conventional College Majors are Business, Accounting, and Management.

oxyjen
21 Oct 2008, 11:46 PM
You forgot one category--Realistic.

I scored as Investigative, and I'd guess the majority of INTP's would as well.

airjaw
22 Oct 2008, 12:18 AM
mm I scored as Artistic.. but I am going through an artistic phase right now, whatever that means..

I like the INTP career recommendations better.

Curtis24
22 Oct 2008, 12:27 AM
I also think the MBTI is ultimately a better system, but if you were to be able to correlate MBTI with the HOlland system, you'd have a huge list of occupations you could then correlate to MBTI. Which would probably be more accurate than whatever career lists are at Keirsey.com, personalitypage.com, similarminds.com, etc.

ectrhoi
22 Oct 2008, 12:28 AM
I took the test at school and got AIR
In my test they just take the three types that scored higher

RI => Technology
IA => Ideas
AS => Feelings
SE => Verbal expression
EC => Office
CR => Precision

romanadvoratrelundar
22 Oct 2008, 01:09 AM
At school I took the test too and I got IAR, which on the site I took the test on doesn't match any of the given careers!! Dammit!

Curtis24
22 Oct 2008, 01:15 AM
I took the test at school and got AIR
In my test they just take the three types that scored higher

RI => Technology
IA => Ideas
AS => Feelings
SE => Verbal expression
EC => Office
CR => Precision

Where'd you get that list from? Is there a link?

ectrhoi
22 Oct 2008, 02:06 AM
Where'd you get that list from? Is there a link?

I listened in a class I had last year
it was called "choix de carrière" (choice of career), and I found an old binder in my closet with those notes in.

And for myself the MBTI test has been a load more useful than the Holland one

Curtis24
22 Oct 2008, 10:29 AM
Does it matter if you reverse the letters or not?

ectrhoi
22 Oct 2008, 11:54 PM
no

Valerie
23 Oct 2008, 05:10 AM
I did this in my ECC class as well. I don't remember what I used to get (it's been a few years now that I did this test, but it might have been IAS in a probably different order), but I remember it sometimes gave me careers I'd never do such as priest or clown...

durentu
9 May 2009, 08:32 AM
my score fluctuates after I take the same quiz a few times. But I think that IAR is the most fitting.

I'm trying to determine a career change or something to shoot for. However, I'm having difficulty finding IAR career choices...

so far I've found

computer programmer
systems analyst
physician
sociologist

computer programmer being the most lucrative. I just wished there were more choices to think over.

wrathfuldeity
12 May 2009, 06:11 PM
Been quite a few years ago, did a career counseling course that involved the holland codes and if remembered correctly it doesn't mean that you will be happy in the career. besides if you look at the 6 dimensions a successful career involves some degree of operation in all the dimensions.

JamesGold
5 Mar 2010, 11:18 PM
Here's a page that attempts to label each college major according to Holland Code. Some of them are accurately labeled, some, well, not so much.

http://www.salisbury.edu/careerservices/students/Holland/Default.html

Take a look at computer science, for instance. How the hell did they come up with comp sci being Enterprising? wtf?

I tend to score ICX. I've considered all the careers under ICR, which is kind of interesting. (auditor, drafter, management analyst)

EDIT: This page organizes hundreds of careers according to their holland code.

http://www.salisbury.edu/careerservices/students/Holland/Investigative.html

Limey
5 Mar 2010, 11:29 PM
My job went from investigative to conventional......FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU!

JamesGold
5 Mar 2010, 11:32 PM
My job went from investigative to conventional......FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU!

I think most jobs go from investigative to conventional after the INTP has figured out everything there is to figure out on the job.

Limey
6 Mar 2010, 12:06 AM
I think most jobs go from investigative to conventional after the INTP has figured out everything there is to figure out on the job.

True, but also, I consult in security and instead of actually doing some intuitive field work, we're increasingly expected to conduct staff interviews and have a big dog and pony show, including a closing presentation and group discussion.
I think it was driven from the not quite young enough to be gen-x no talent asshats that still wear suits to work and can do little more than enter an IP range into a vuln scanner and eat expensed lunches.

Anyway, I'm not sold on this pigeon-holing - much like MBTI, where I've seen too much disparity for quantification. I don't personally believe in amorphous, crystallized behavior, thought processes or traits, as reasons or excuses for pre-determination any more than I believe that temperament alone defines a person.

Guidance councilor to me, seems like a free ride of a job. Why don't we have palmists, psychics, and phrenologists in schools, too? - I'd like to have had an enlightened Buddhist available for sage advice, instead, just some fat assesd, Lesbian guidance councilor with her own agenda with regard to remapping social construct.