PDA

View Full Version : College GPA

hegotgenius
2 Jan 2009, 04:43 AM
I'm curious. What range did your College GPA fall in? If it was lower than you would have liked, why was that the case?

I ask this question, because I have read a lot of INTPs saying they didn't do as well as they would have liked in school, mainly because they were "lazy." I definitely had a problem with procrastination.

Don't post your exact GPA unless you really want to. The poll is sufficient.

Works
2 Jan 2009, 04:44 AM
3.79 undergrad
3.76 graduate.

foodeater
2 Jan 2009, 04:47 AM
Having only completed my first semester so far, my GPA is 2.6-something. It's a lot lower than I would like, since my GPA was always above 3.8 in high school.

Karl
2 Jan 2009, 05:09 AM
2.66 edit: 6. That is, 2.666

Why?

No A's. I missed a test that was 15% of my grade in one class so I got a B in it. My english teacher wouldn't tell what she wanted so I got a C. I got a B in my other classes because I didn't work hard enough. I had two C's from a highschool dual class.

My GPA sucks. In the short term all I can do is work towards a good audition...

karenk
2 Jan 2009, 05:17 AM
I had a high GPA, but I studied Anthropology due to interest so it was easy. Unfortunately, I had no career plan associated with this major, which shows a lack of another kind of intelligence. :stupid:

Neville
2 Jan 2009, 05:27 AM
I was a douchebag for the last three years, failed a lot of classes. Now I'm doing damage control and reconstruction.

wivesandknives
2 Jan 2009, 06:03 AM
Last term 3.67. Cumulative 3.5-ish.

Lower than I want because I'm passively overachieving. Also because I want to make Dean's list and get as close as I get to 4.0 as I can so I have a chance at this awesome direct entry Ph.D program. This will most likely not happen. :gm:

hegotgenius
2 Jan 2009, 06:10 AM
3.79 undergrad
3.76 graduate.

What was your major?

Because I was a terrible student when I was 17.

I was a great student at age 17, throughout High School and my first year of college. Then for whatever reason, I just stopped caring, and got lazy. No partying, drinking, or cutting up. Just lazy. I turned in everything late. The quality of the work was superior to most of my classmates, but because it was "ALWAYS" late, I'd start out at 90% being the maximum grade I could receive instead of 100%, so my margin of error was less.

Got to the point when I wouldn't be motivated to get work done even the day before it was due. I couldn't get motivated until it was actually supposed to be turned in, then I'd do it that day and turn it in either the next day or the next class, whenever I'd only lose 10% instead of 20%.

Whereas so many "Js" were motivated to try to complete a task as soon as it was assigned, I couldn't get motivated until it was due. I'd try to start early, but would always end up stopping, because I couldn't focus on it as long as there was time left to do it.

I could think and focus better when the pressure to complete it was highest.

Works
2 Jan 2009, 06:12 AM
What was your major?

Linguistics BS
English BA

Masters in Education, English

Neville
2 Jan 2009, 06:20 AM
I'm winning! I've got the lowest.

hegotgenius
2 Jan 2009, 06:27 AM
Linguistics BS
English BA

Masters in Education, English

Sounds fun.

I was a Political Science major, but had very little ambition. If I could go back, I'd major in Political Science, minor in Spanish, and prepare for the LSAT.

I decided to get that law degree, though, since I'm still relatively young, and my career may be heading in a new direction where a law degree would be beneficial...and the new location of the law school will be more convenient.

zago
2 Jan 2009, 06:37 AM
My college GPA was a 3.8 or 3.9 or something. College was balls easy. Only reason it wasn't a 4 was cause my first semester freshman year I hadn't perfected the art of having fun and getting shit done.

karenk
2 Jan 2009, 06:38 AM
My college GPA was a 3.8 or 3.9 or something. College was balls easy. Only reason it wasn't a 4 was cause my first semester freshman year I hadn't perfected the art of having fun and getting shit done.

What was your major?

zago
2 Jan 2009, 06:39 AM
Education - high school chemistry and biology.

kendoiwan
2 Jan 2009, 07:26 AM

The reverse for me, the last couple of semesters I said fuck it...

Ferrus
2 Jan 2009, 07:30 AM
I got a 2:1 in university. Which can mean anywhere between 3.0-3.6 - if you consider them even vaguely comparable. But then again I was a low 2:1 thanks to pissing away the last year there.

liquidicy
2 Jan 2009, 07:43 AM
I got 2.0 and less for the first year. Then I kept improving but only got up to 3.3. i was taking hard classes though. Hopefully I can still get into a good grad school.

JohnClay
2 Jan 2009, 07:45 AM
My GPA was a little below 4 even though I failed some subjects and got on average a pass...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPA_in_Australia
High Distinction = 7
Distinction = 6
Credit = 5
Pass = 4
Fail level 1 = 1-3
Fail level 2 = 0

Rincon
2 Jan 2009, 08:59 AM
By some kind of crazy fucking miracle I managed to make the Dean's Honors list (3.75+) for most of my quarters beyond freshman year. And what killed it for me freshman year was math-- I was learning calculus for the first time while it seemed like all my peers had already learned it in high school. But then again, my high school math education was severely lacking. I got straight A's in math all through HS and still managed to not really learn much-- other students who said they got B's and C's in HS still learned waaaaay more than me. My teachers were teaching the bullshit-everybody-needs-to-feel-good-about-themselves easy math I guess.

shadow1986
2 Jan 2009, 09:25 AM
Before getting into my current degree it was just below 6. Now it's just above 4. Not really flying through this one...

In Australia it works like this:

7 - High Distinction
6- Distinction
5- Credit
4- Pass
3- Fail

dunno what to put in ur poll... current degree really pissing me off.

BAJ
2 Jan 2009, 03:18 PM
Everyone should put their major and stuff, maybe.

I had five C's in my undergrad, I think.

CAL I, CAL II, CAL III, Organic Chem II, and Quantitative Analysis.

The stupid thing is that I didn't need to take ANY of the Calculus. I took enough statistics and other math classes to satisfy my major.

I took harder classes for fun, I guess. I took Calculus based physics I and II, and I was the only biologist in there. The rest were engineering students, with a few physics majors and meterologsits.

I have tendancy to think some types of classes were harder than others. Statistics was fun and easy for me, but my sister almost got a D in statistics. Meanwhile, she go A's in Calculus. As I said, I got C's

In some classes or majors, lower grades may indicate more extreme forms of laziness.

notjeffgoldblum
2 Jan 2009, 03:33 PM
1.9 (it was fate)

syzygy
2 Jan 2009, 03:46 PM
I haven't gotten grades for this past semester yet, but I think it's currently a 3.26? (I did horribly in one class the semester before this one.) It should go up significantly when I get this time's grades, though. I'll report back on January 7th.

joft
2 Jan 2009, 05:06 PM
4.0, math

I got non-As in 4 classes: an 3.75 in english in my first semester, a 3.0 in acting, and 3.5 in calc 2 and calc 3

kendoiwan
2 Jan 2009, 05:11 PM
By some kind of crazy fucking miracle I managed to make the Dean's Honors list (3.75+) for most of my quarters beyond freshman year. And what killed it for me freshman year was math-- I was learning calculus for the first time while it seemed like all my peers had already learned it in high school. But then again, my high school math education was severely lacking. I got straight A's in math all through HS and still managed to not really learn much-- other students who said they got B's and C's in HS still learned waaaaay more than me. My teachers were teaching the bullshit-everybody-needs-to-feel-good-about-themselves easy math I guess.

You too?! What happened with me is a math teach died of a heart attack mid term and we got a substitute, and you can guess how THAT worked out...

deuteros
3 Jan 2009, 02:33 AM
I think I ended up with a 2.8 or something. My engineering classes killed my GPA. I took all the calculus and physics classes and then I decide I don't want to be an engineer anymore. Silly me. I'm still proud of my B in Calc II though, which was supposed to be one of the hardest courses in my university's engineering school.

My first semester in college also didn't help. I ended up with a 1.0 and on academic probation. I never studied in high school so the habit was hard to break.

deuteros
3 Jan 2009, 02:41 AM
And what killed it for me freshman year was math-- I was learning calculus for the first time while it seemed like all my peers had already learned it in high school. But then again, my high school math education was severely lacking. I got straight A's in math all through HS and still managed to not really learn much-- other students who said they got B's and C's in HS still learned waaaaay more than me.

Hm, I felt the same way. I took calculus for the first time in college and the professor starts talking about cotangents, cosecants, and secants and I had never heard of this stuff before. I guess you learn about that in Trigonometry but I had never taken it.

I thought my high school math teacher sucked. I had never had so much trouble in a math class before. I still can't put my finger on what it was though. I almost had an F in Geometry and he told me if I passed the final he would pass me in the class. I ended up getting an 89% on the final.

Neville
3 Jan 2009, 02:43 AM
1.9 (it was fate)

Well, I'm no longer the lowest, congratulations.

My first semester in college also didn't help. I ended up with a 1.0 and on academic probation. I never studied in high school so the habit was hard to break.

This is what killed me, I just recently figured out how to study.

Anonymous
3 Jan 2009, 02:51 AM
I've got a 3.7 something right now. Only community college classes though, and the hardest thing I've taken is just calculus.

Curtis24
5 Jan 2009, 03:56 AM
Mine's about 2.9(2.85, actually). Its not so bad considering I go to what's considered an "Honors College". I'm going to boost it up next semester and then start applying to grad schools with rolling admissions.

LuridLemur
5 Jan 2009, 04:33 AM
Had a 3.7something through community college, and a 3.6ish at university.

Promethean
5 Jan 2009, 08:35 AM
4.0 so far. No degree yet, but enough education to qualify for one on credits.

Lethal Sage
5 Jan 2009, 09:40 AM
I had a computer science class which I failed for no good reason. I'll have a talk with my professor soon enough and hopefully get him to change the grade. I need it and I should have got a B or A- as I hear most of the people in the class had.

I think it's because we didn't finish our robot, but it was destined to fail because it was based on timing which requires battery power. So it's based on power while we were trying to get an algorithm to make it do a circle 8.

What really sucks about the whole thing is that my eyesight sucks now that I'm on these meds, so I use my glasses as bifocals..getting a new pair by the fifteenth probably.

Anyways, 2.0 exactly with a class I might have to take again, which is so damn easy. Irregardless, I'm still taking trig and C++ next semester.

eyebyte_atWork
5 Jan 2009, 10:12 PM
Mine was not as high as I would have liked it - but in my defense.. I also worked full time and manage to trick a girl into marrying me, had a kid and still survived. Tried the SJ lifestyle - failed.

If I were to do it now - I think I would be in the top 5%. I still out did many engineering student wanna be's.

It so good to be back.

avolkiteshvara
5 Jan 2009, 10:21 PM
Mine was not as high as I would have liked it - but in my defense.. I also worked full time and manage to trick a girl into marrying me, had a kid and still survived. Tried the SJ lifestyle - failed.

If I were to do it now - I think I would be in the top 5%. I still out did many engineering student wanna be's.

It so good to be back.

I think a lot of people forget that part, that some people both go to school and work.

When I was in community college I was always impressed with single mothers that were working. Who cares what their GPA was.

nonperson
5 Jan 2009, 10:25 PM
I think a lot of people forget that part, that some people both go to school and work.

When I was in community college I was always impressed with single mothers that were working. Who cares what their GPA was.

When I did the Access to HE course the majority of students were working mums. I was amazed too. It made me feel very humble about how easy I had it.

Nighthawk
5 Jan 2009, 10:26 PM
2.89 undergrad. Moving to a real East Coast college after high school in the Rio Grande Valley was a huge shock. I amost failed out my freshman year, but did progressively better as I worked my way through. Athletics and leadership were stressed just as heavily as academics. They were really into the "whole person" concept and you couldn't lag in any area.

4.00 in grad school. This was a real treat after the undergrad grind and 10 years of working in the "real world." It was a joy to focus only on the area in which I was interested, and not have to take courses just because they were required. I sopped it up like a sponge.

avolkiteshvara
5 Jan 2009, 10:32 PM
When I did the Access to HE course the majority of students were working mums. I was amazed too. It made me feel very humble about how easy I had it.

Humble is a good word for it. Made me almost ashamed for bitching about how rough I had it working fulltime and school full time.

nonperson
5 Jan 2009, 10:37 PM
Humble is a good word for it. Made me almost ashamed for bitching about how rough I had it working fulltime and school full time.

A week or two before Christmas I had a chance meeting with one who is working towards a nursing degree (specializing in learning difficulties.) She has two under tens, is working 20hours, and doing the degree. And is still very cheerful and worse, much worse, was very sympathetic because I am beginning to dislike the course I am doing. The only tiny difference is she is fulfilling a lifetime's ambition, while I am just marking time.......

ebolaRETURNS
11 Jan 2009, 08:15 AM
Undergrad: 4.02 (I'm not bragging...just showing that grades are meaningless in many respects)
Grad: ~3.88 (and grades do not mean anything here)

BS: Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy
MS: Sociology

nonrandian
11 Jan 2009, 01:02 PM
3.6-something. if you take out the remedial courses that i didn't think would affect my GPA it's a 3.98 or something. :| and i only study about 2-3 hours a week (with a 20 credit hour load). :D

who knew your college GPA is affected by classes that aren't even considered college level, or college credit? stupid. :|

of course this is quite well either way as it's practically a miracle i graduated high school on time: i had 14 F's and 16 D's!

haha... yes grades truly are meaningless in the grand scheme. i know first hand. the only thing they're good for is scholarships. which.., it's quite upsetting that there aren't really any scholorships for the 'most improved student' since i'd probably eat all those up... and improving is far, far more difficult than just doing the same as you've always done; in any event; and in my opinion.

p.s. drugs are bad. crime too. stay in school kids, grades are at least more important than that stuff. take my word for it.

composer
11 Jan 2009, 04:22 PM
Low-mid 3, low-mid 4 in grad school where they were on a 5 system. I switched to science late in life so was continually challenged during my studies. I didn't do any science earlier, I never did pass algebra.

hegotgenius
12 Jan 2009, 03:14 AM
The reverse for me, the last couple of semesters I said fuck it...

For me, my first 1 1/2 years of college were the best.

Then I switched majors a few times, stopped caring, withdrew a semester because I was sick of my current major, and then went back and finished.

Last 2 years were "decent."

My first year of college was a 3.4, then it was a slow drift downward from there, mainly because I was majoring in things that I "thought" I wanted to do, until I got there and stopped caring about it because I hated the majors. Design-related...architecture and stuff like that. Professors wanted students to spend much of their day "INSIDE STUDIO" working around other members of the class. That wasn't a good situation for me, even though I didn't know anything about Myers-Briggs at that time, all I knew was I hated studio work after hours, like I wanted 15 other quasi-roommates.

Pugly
12 Jan 2009, 04:11 AM
I graduated just shy of 3.0. A little bit worse in my Major, which is Math.

College was a weird experience of highs and lows, Calc I, II and III I got A's in with no problem at all... while at the same time I failed or just barely passed History and some other general courses.

I was a bit too confident in my Math abilities, and extremely lacking in discipline and study habits... so my Math grade started to suffer in advanced math courses. I also have a weird cognitive wall I hit at some point in math, I'm much too interested in the overall idea and forget details... like names of proofs and theorems and new symbols being used. This hurt me in theoretical classes like Number Theory and Real Analysis. Combinatorics was a favorite though.

I dropped out for 2 years and came back with a renewed focus and determination. I started to get mostly A's and actually put forth some effort in the first time in my life.

This faltered a bit towards the end when I had to take foreign language courses, where my memory/cognative problems and study skills issues reared it's head again. I passed with some pity C-'s and eventually graduated.

I don't think I have it in me to go to graduate school, although this is probably just my low-self confidence talking. But it kind of sucks to get a low gpa when you have a Math degree...

curiouslittleboy
16 Jan 2009, 07:12 PM
My Cumulative college GPA is 4.0
But it was at a community college so it doesn't count. :P XD

*Strictly_The_Facts*
16 Jan 2009, 07:36 PM
So far I have a 3.888 GPA. Second year in school. Currently attending UNF. I tend to do the study/homework 3hours+ a day routine so it isn't really that hard. In high school i was a little lazier though. A lot lazier actually! I'm the "first one to turn in the report" type so hopefully i wont revert back into my high school ways :no:

kendoiwan
16 Jan 2009, 07:41 PM
So far I have a 3.888 GPA. Second year in school. Currently attending UNF. I tend to do the study/homework 3hours+ a day routine so it isn't really that hard. In high school i was a little lazier though. A lot lazier actually! I'm the "first one to turn in the report" type so hopefully i wont revert back into my high school ways :no:

Nerd... :ph34r:

RT_Jackson
16 Jan 2009, 11:46 PM
I'm up in the 3.9-4.0ish range. The couple classes I have B's in would have taken too much effort. Don't care enough. Don't study much for the classes I do care about, but I go to a random state school so it's pretty lenient coursework in general. I will be graduating this fall, so I get an extra-long break between this and grad school. Should be nice. :)

Zephyrus055
17 Jan 2009, 12:09 AM
It's my junior year and my GPA is 3.3. However, once I fix that F in speech, it will be at 3.7ish.

Speech class sucks. It should not be a requirement.

Nighthawk
17 Jan 2009, 12:14 AM
2.89 undergrad
4.00 graduate

Clearly, I was not ready for college my during undergrad years. To be fair, it was a military school that took away a lot of study time for military and athletic related activities. Still, I was woefully unprepared and struggled a lot the first two years. I finally got on track my junior and senior years, making deans list every semester ... but the damage had already been done freshman and sophomore years.

*Strictly_The_Facts*
17 Jan 2009, 12:25 AM
Nerd... :ph34r:

Call me Reed Richards :reading:

deuteros
19 Jan 2009, 02:23 AM
3.0 in my major.
~2.75 overall.

I was a former engineering student and I didn't have my heart in it and it killed my GPA. Also I was used to never studying in high school and still getting decent grades so I had a hard time breaking that habit once I went to college. I still haven't broken it but I somewhat learned my lesson after I ended up with a 1.0 after my first semester.

Lethal Sage
19 Jan 2009, 02:48 AM
I was a douchebag for the last three years, failed a lot of classes. Now I'm doing damage control and reconstruction.

Ditto.

Curtis24
19 Jan 2009, 03:39 AM
2.89 undergrad
4.00 graduate

Clearly, I was not ready for college my during undergrad years. To be fair, it was a military school that took away a lot of study time for military and athletic related activities. Still, I was woefully unprepared and struggled a lot the first two years. I finally got on track my junior and senior years, making deans list every semester ... but the damage had already been done freshman and sophomore years.

I feel this way myself. I've often wondered if it might be better to prolong undergrad a semester or two simply to improve my GPA. I still have one semester left that I definitely have to do, so at least I can raise it that way. Fortunately I also go to what's essentially an HOnors college, and my GPA(2.9) is only slightly below average. So next semester can probably raise it to a 3.2-3.3 if I'm on ball.

weebolj
19 Jan 2009, 03:46 AM
Is one the lowest passing grade?

Curtis24
19 Jan 2009, 03:47 AM
2.0 is generally accepted as a minimum before colleges start considering kicking you out. It is for my college, at least.

weebolj
19 Jan 2009, 03:52 AM
I meant for individual classes/courses/whaddayacallem. Oh fuck, I realized I'm being silly. You've got your Fs an all them. So D translates as one. I'm going 70 in the range of 40 to 100. So that's just about 2.0, OH SHI-

Infinity8
20 Jan 2009, 09:12 AM
I'm in my second year of community college and at a 3.0 right now. I thought with the couple of classes I failed it would actually be lower...
45% of you guys have/had a college GPA at/above 3.65? Wow

Cbug
20 Jan 2009, 03:16 PM
I live in Australia so I'm not sure how the scoring correlates, but I got 87 TER which is a percentage out of 100 comparing your score with the rest of the state. My subjects were Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Art and English. Would that be about a 3.8? I have no idea.

But I only just passed maths, for some reason calculus and I never got on very well. My ISTJ friend was a wizard at maths but she could never explain the concepts to me when I asked her for help, I think she was really good at following the logic and never missed an important detail like I always did.

Nighthawk
20 Jan 2009, 05:51 PM
... for some reason calculus and I never got on very well.

I had a difficult time with calculus as well the first few go arounds. It finally sunk in, although that was decades ago and I cannot remember a bit of it now. Ironically, I understood it quite well in grad school years later, when it was actually applied to some real world problems.

aglio
20 Jan 2009, 06:24 PM
first post...

3.70 here

CEOofRawness
20 Jan 2009, 07:27 PM
first post...

3.70 here

congrats! :banana:

I currently have a 3.7, but I'm just beginning my harder, upper division classes, so my GPA can go either way.

I had a 2. something in high school (unweighted, 3. something weighted), and didn't take it seriously (although I regret that now...). Once I stepped foot into college I got my shit together and am trying to maintain a high GPA for grad school and possibly scholarships/fellowships. I don't have relevant work experience, so I need to try to have something impressive on my resume... :sadbanana:

d100la
7 Jan 2010, 06:37 AM
Just finished my first semester at University. A lowly 2.0 :(. But i am planning to make up for that this semester *determined nod*

md5fungi
7 Jan 2010, 06:44 AM
3.25... I got As in almost all my General Eds, As and Bs in my Math classes, but Bs and some Cs in my nearly all my EE classes. So I essentially suck at my major.

Anonymous
7 Jan 2010, 06:58 AM
I've got a 4.0 so far.

Arachne
7 Jan 2010, 07:07 AM
Undergrad: 3.6
Grad: 3.85

Undergrad - I missed A LOT of classes my 1st sophomore semester and forgot to drop one class I registered for but never even went to (and the professor didn't drop me from his rolls and graciously gave me an F).

sandwich
7 Jan 2010, 07:35 AM
I generally make the Dean's List for Autumn, take too many credits in the Winter, and slack off slightly in Spring. If my transferred credits counted I'd have a higher GPA, but not significantly.

Roger Mexico
7 Jan 2010, 08:09 AM

For the record, the college I attended likes to brag about how there's been virtually no grade inflation in the past 30 years. (As compared to a national average of, IIRC, something like 20%)

teleforce
7 Jan 2010, 08:18 AM
i've been a mediocre student all my life. (by my standards, anyway)

Yummy
7 Jan 2010, 09:08 AM
I currently have a 3.0. I should have a 1.0 based on the quality of my work and the fact that I missed so many days of class.

master student
7 Jan 2010, 09:21 AM
My cumulative is at a 3.65 and I am a junior. That is about where I landed in high school so I guess I am just being consistent.

Ferrus
7 Jan 2010, 09:54 AM
3.7 is considered equivalent to a first-class degree here (which is a significant time investment) which a lot of you seem to be in the range of.

My grades were pretty poor, only got a first in three or four of the 18 modules I took over the course of the year (and non in the last). My equivalent score in American terms would be somewhere between 3.0-3.2. Although if you included all three year's work as you do in the US, the equivalent would be 3.1-3.3. In my defense... I did do almost no work, especially in the last year. I wrote a 12,000 word dissertation 2 days before it was due to be handed in, research and all... on Hegel. I simply neglected some subjects, partially because getting the materials to study for them was hard.

The module I did best in, with a very clear cut first, was on Anglo-Saxon history, with a mixture of archaeology, diplomatics, textual criticism and intellectual history - and was one of the few topics I consistently studied for too.

And, getting a first seemed capricious, in the control of postgraduate lecturers who would grade based on personal bias.

Seeing all the high grades here, and in that interview thread (where even those who didn't get top marks at least did in subjects they were interested in) is very humbling though.

herbpixie
7 Jan 2010, 04:50 PM
I'm a non-traditional student. The first time I went to college, my grades were abysmal, primarily because I did not like my school. Not liking school = not going to class. I made B's in classes that did not have attendance policies.

Now I am a double Applied Linguistics and Biology major/Chemistry minor with a 4.0. Combine that with my previous GPA and I have a 3.5 or so. I'm a currently a sophomore.

Ferrus
7 Jan 2010, 04:55 PM
Apparently an American A is, on the whole easier than a British First, but a B is harder than the minimum required for a 2:1.

Trentham
7 Jan 2010, 04:57 PM
3.83 undergrad
3.91 graduate

I was always good at going to school and taking tests.

md5fungi
7 Jan 2010, 06:08 PM
I've got a 3.7 something right now.

I've got a 4.0 so far.

:huh:

Neville
7 Jan 2010, 06:14 PM

Community college gpa doesn't transfer to University. At least for the UCs.

Cam'ron
7 Jan 2010, 06:28 PM
halfway through my sophomore year i'm sitting on a 2.6. not very proud of it, i have plans to cut down on marijuana use during the week and really crack down on my studies.

carbon cold
7 Jan 2010, 06:51 PM
Two semesters..

/gloat

guccimane
7 Jan 2010, 07:42 PM
I wound up with 3.49 undergrad and 3.65 or something Graduate don't even remember or care. I was pretty pissed and disappointed to find out that in the world outside of university the numbers really aren't as important as I thought.

Trentham
7 Jan 2010, 07:59 PM
I was pretty pissed and disappointed to find out that in the world outside of university the numbers really aren't as important as I thought.
Right, in fact they tend to be pretty unimportant. Probably the biggest regret from my youth is that I worried so much about performing well in school.

Faust06
7 Jan 2010, 10:24 PM
It's 3.0 right now, although back when studying electronics my grades were catastrophic, and the course material was easy as fuck. I can be a horrible, horrible student. Was smart enough to drop out, but dumb enough to take too damn long to do it. Naturally, this did not impress my parents.

I predict more 3.0 and above grades to follow as the certification I want requires that minimum average (though I'll finish the B.A. as well). Seems to be a breeze provided I don't slack off the way I used to.

Anonymous
7 Jan 2010, 10:25 PM

Community college gpa doesn't transfer to University. At least for the UCs.

Yep, that. It's a wonderful thing.

saltymander
8 Jan 2010, 09:59 PM
3.62 after three years, 2 spent at a much more difficult school than i am now. i have a GPA-based scholarship that requires me to stay above a 3.0, which is not hard at all. especially in college, GPA doesn't seem to me to mark very much academic progress- just your ability to read the syllabus and see what assignments need to be completed at what time.

Nighthawk
8 Jan 2010, 10:05 PM
2.89 at the military academy. I was pretty overwhelmed my first two years and did poorly.

4.00 at grad school.

The only time my undergrad GPA was taken into consideration was while trying to get into grad school. My grad school GPA has never been taken into consideration for anything in the non-academic world.

Locke03
18 Jan 2010, 06:04 AM
Highest? I spent my first few semesters with a 4.0
Lowest? Before I switched majors (from comp-sci to architecture) I had a 0.8 and was up for academic dismissal.
Now? I have a 3.75 and climbing.

Wolfe
28 Jan 2010, 10:01 PM
The only time my undergrad GPA was taken into consideration was while trying to get into grad school. My grad school GPA has never been taken into consideration for anything in the non-academic world.

I felt sort of relieved reading this, I really regret how I performed at UNI. I Got A+ and A for 2 sems of introductory Math, A and a B- for introductory computer science.... then my dad died. Didnt know how to cope with that, thought I was 'fine'. Since then, I decieded NOT to do Math anymore and did electronics and Computer Science.

I was not interested in school at all, all I went to school to do was play warcraft in the computer labs.

Since leaving school, couldnt get a job so working part time at a call centre, Currently studying to be an actuary, we will see after the first exam.

euterpenc
29 Jan 2010, 03:13 AM
At present, 3.697.

Edit: Now a second semester senior (final semester).

MuseedesBeauxArts
29 Jan 2010, 03:24 AM
3.94 in undergrad if I remember correctly (English major, biology and French minors). 4.0 in my post-bac sciences (that was orgo and physics, mostly). Now I don't get numbers anymore, just letters.

Ferrus
25 Feb 2010, 07:11 PM
just your ability to read the syllabus and see what assignments need to be completed at what time.
Yeah, I did well in tests like that.

When it came to indepedent research as was expected pretty much throughout my BA, I fell flat on my face.

Was my medicore bachelors grade simply because I didn't gel with the system here - or was it due to lack of intellect? Not really sure still after all this time.

nonperson
25 Feb 2010, 07:19 PM
Was my medicore bachelors grade simply because I didn't gel with the system here - or was it due to lack of intellect? Not really sure still after all this time.

What makes me laugh about grades here was how the VCs of the top uni's couldn't explain why the number of 1st had risen substantially. You would think all those professors would be able to devise a research programme to find the answer.

Can you call a 2.1 mediocre? And have you looked into figures for 2.2 and 3rds?

You know what I think and I am not going to repeat it here. :ph34r:

Ferrus
25 Feb 2010, 07:30 PM
What makes me laugh about grades here was how the VCs of the top uni's couldn't explain why the number of 1st had risen substantially. You would think all those professors would be able to devise a research programme to find the answer.

Can you call a 2.1 mediocre? And have you looked into figures for 2.2 and 3rds?
Well, it's between the top 10 and 60% of the graduates where I was.

I did no work, blah blah. Oh well.

Something else I have realised - the university system here is much more segregated in terms of student ability than other places which may also have a bearing on it.

gr8ness97
25 Feb 2010, 09:28 PM
My GPA when I graduated was a 3.12. It really should have been higher, but my first major was accounting and I became VERY disinterested in it. I never dropped it though.

I did finish triple majoring in BS/Accounting, BS/Finance and BS/Economics with a minor in Chemistry though. Econ and Finance pulled up my GPA big time, while I finished the Chemistry part with a 3.0, thanks to Organic Hell.

364unbirthdays
28 Feb 2010, 10:05 PM
I don't start college until later this year.

This year has been one of my laziest. Luckily, two out of my five classes this trimester gave me full credit for late work. So, my high school GPA is probably over 3.5. Really mediocre. But at least I get to leave this damn school in a few months.

Brysco
29 Mar 2010, 06:26 AM
I have ~2.4 gpa and I am studying structural engineering. I find my classes to be easy because i'm gifted at math, but they are way too slow paced that they can't hold my attention. Also, I get very lazy on the homework because I feel like its pointless to do pages of hand calculations which I understand and know computers can do for me in a fraction of the time. I have changed my major 3 times all within the engineering school. Biomedical engineering > Chemical Engineering > Structural Engineering. My interests change every couple months. Its hard to stay on one topic for me.

I feel like I am getting shafted big time by the educational system in the US as an INTP. I can think of several different approaches to education that I feel could have been way more effective for my personality type.

For Example, what if you had the option to focus on a single subject at a time by having a semester composed of several mini-mesters? for instance, my school schedule right is fluid dynamics, dynamics and vibrations, environmental, and geo-tech. I love each of these topics, but I can't absorb all of this at the same. What if I could take them one at a time, 15-18 hrs per week, for a shorter term for each course. I would complete the same amount of hours per semester, but I know for a fact my performance in each class would increase substantially. If I had the focus to simultaneously keep up with all of my course homework throughout the entire semester, I would easily have a high 3.0 gpa if not a 4.0. I don't find any of my classes particularly challenging at all. I pick up and understand material very quickly. I guess my brain is just built to focus on one topic at a time, at a very fast pace rather than 5 subjects at once stretched over a long semester.

In a nut shell...I don't think the 4.0 grade scale accurately shows my true potential to employers. I just learn differently than others.

Does anybody else share these views?

foodeater
29 Mar 2010, 08:00 AM
In a nut shell...I don't think the 4.0 grade scale accurately shows my true potential to employers. I just learn differently than others.

Does anybody else share these views?

I completely agree that the grade scale doesn't reflect how well I learn things. For one, I had one class a few semesters ago that I didn't do well in, but I did better than a friend in a different section of the same class. His section did worse than mine overall, and the curve bumped him higher than me even though I did much better than him on the exams and homework. That's not the only time that's happened to me.

I do a lot better when I find the subject matter interesting too, but I've been working on my focus and it's gotten better. I can pick stuff up very easily if I focus during the lecture, then the homework is grunt work. If I don't pay attention then I learn from the homework, and if I don't pay attention to the homework then I learn from the exams (but by that point my grades are shit). So I get it eventually, just not when it's important to know. So I guess I learn differently from other people too.

Fortunately engineering lectures and topics are generally useful- I've had liberal arts courses where I could look everything up on the internet and get great grades and learn absolutely nothing.

I kind of agree with you about learning multiple things at one time, your system sounds good except I don't think I'd be able to sit through 3 or 4 hours a day of the same class. I have multiple days a week this semester where I have between four and six hours of class and I usually end up sleeping or getting distracted in one every few hours.

Brysco
29 Mar 2010, 12:52 PM
It wouldn't have to be 3-4 hours straight. Maybe 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. Lecture/lab kinda deal

Ptah
29 Mar 2010, 03:17 PM
Null.

Ferrus
29 Mar 2010, 05:29 PM
Einstein got 4.9/6 in his degree at ETH Zurich - which was a major factor in his not getting a professorship till sometime into his career. By a modern standards that is equivalent to a GPA between 3.0 and 3.5 in America and a 2:1 here, although grade inflation probably makes it towards the higher end of both. Even so it wasn't spectacular - he seemed disinclined to the formal routine of study and crammed many of his exams.

MadamI'madaM
29 Mar 2010, 09:16 PM
The inflation of GPA is making it less important compared to real measurements of accomplishment like publications or projects.

Although it's nice to have at least 3.5.

avolkiteshvara
29 Mar 2010, 09:20 PM
Much better than highschool. They were still hoops, it was just a little more interesting to jump through them.

gardnerj
30 Mar 2010, 10:55 PM

can you believe that shit?

mchampagne
31 Mar 2010, 03:20 AM
I'm curious. What range did your College GPA fall in? If it was lower than you would have liked, why was that the case?

I ask this question, because I have read a lot of INTPs saying they didn't do as well as they would have liked in school, mainly because they were "lazy." I definitely had a problem with procrastination.

Don't post your exact GPA unless you really want to. The poll is sufficient.

Wouldn't this be kind of biased? Is anyone going to click 2.0 or below?

gardnerj
10 Sep 2010, 07:23 AM

No lie. I got 142 credits. If one of them were an A- instead of an A, I wouldn't have a 3.0. That close.