PDA

View Full Version : High IQ Admissions

Hustler
3 Jan 2010, 10:09 PM
We need to figure out an admissions policy for this forum. I would like to use online IQ tests and proctor them similarly to how it was done in the IQ Challenge. I don't want to use the same tests, though, since people have had plenty of time to practice up on them and since some answers have been discussed, and so on. To this end, if any of you has a suggestion for an online test we could use, PM it to me and I'll look into it. We may need to have members take them to establish a correlation between our newly selected tests and the tests used in the challenge. We can adjust entry requirement scores accordingly.

I am prepared to accept prior evidence as well, seeing as how almost every existent high IQ society out there does just that. A list of qualifying scores for admission to MENSA can be found here (http://www.us.mensa.org/Content/AML/NavigationMenu/Join/SubmitTestScores/QualifyingTestScores/QualifyingScores.htm). If people can provide such evidence in a manner that I consider convincing and conclusive, I'm prepared to let them in. Note that most tests like the SAT, GRE, ACT, and so on are no longer acceptable to MENSA, but if people had verifiable scores from tests back when they were acceptable, I would be willing to accept them. Some sites out there offer correlations between scores on the current versions of these tests and IQ, which we could use if we wanted, but most high IQ societies out there don't use the current forms of these tests for admission anymore.

Please feel free to give any general input here, but save any specific online tests you have in mind for a PM. Note, too, that we can feel somewhat confident in administering tests via PM, because forum policy requires that PMs be kept private, so anyone who came along and posted the tests we used or who shared them out to other people would be subject to banning.

Hustler
4 Jan 2010, 12:58 AM
I've already had one person submit qualifying GRE scores. Unless people voice strong objections to this method of entry, I'm going to just start signing them up.

Dr. Haight
4 Jan 2010, 01:19 AM
I've already had one person submit qualifying GRE scores. Unless people voice strong objections to this method of entry, I'm going to just start signing them up.Is 1320 going to work?

!diom
4 Jan 2010, 01:30 AM
Is 1320 going to work?

Can't you just add yourself anyway?

Hustler
4 Jan 2010, 03:29 AM
Is 1320 going to work?

It depends on when you took them. If prior to 5/94 then yes. If not, then no. If between 5/94 and 9/01, you'd need a 1875+. Seeing as how you're already posting here, though, it probably doesn't matter.

PenguinHunter
4 Jan 2010, 04:30 AM
What website did you find to convert new GRE scores?

I just looked at a few and they seem to way over-estimate IQ.

Hustler
4 Jan 2010, 04:40 AM
What website did you find to convert new GRE scores?

I just looked at a few and they seem to way over-estimate IQ.

I haven't found anything for GRE scores after 9/30/01. The only conversions I'll be accepting (for the time being) are for GRE scores from before then.

Hustler
13 Jan 2010, 09:28 AM
To all interested parties, I'm back home and can resume administering IQ tests for admissions.

Hustler
22 Jan 2010, 01:03 AM
By the way, I'm still in the market for decent tests to use for this. I have a few that I am using, all of which have scores that correlate to each other fairly well, but I'm always up for some more alternatives. PM me with anything you stumble across out there.

Dr. Haight
22 Jan 2010, 01:44 AM
What about an LSAT score of 167?

Hustler
22 Jan 2010, 01:59 AM
What about an LSAT score of 167?

What percentile rank is that?

Dr. Haight
22 Jan 2010, 02:04 AM

Hustler
22 Jan 2010, 02:16 AM

That's probably acceptable then.

Dr. Haight
22 Jan 2010, 12:29 PM
Alright, I'll start studying.

!diom
23 Jan 2010, 02:05 AM
Alright, I'll start studying.

I knew a guy who attributed his 173 on the LSAT to a course in symbolic logic taken immediately prior.

Dr. Haight
23 Jan 2010, 01:56 PM
I knew a guy who attributed his 173 on the LSAT to a course in symbolic logic taken immediately prior.Your advice will be taken.

Hustler
4 Feb 2010, 09:47 AM
I'm disappointed by the lack of people with 160+ IQs to show up and qualify for this forum. Where are they?

Dr. Haight
6 Feb 2010, 02:56 AM
Don't look at me. I never made that claim.

!diom
6 Feb 2010, 09:14 AM
Where are they?

Probably focusing on something more engaging.

ApeTheDog
6 Feb 2010, 12:16 PM
You'd think they'd be all over our four threads.

!diom
26 Apr 2010, 01:19 PM
Note that most tests like the SAT, GRE, ACT, and so on are no longer acceptable to MENSA, but if people had verifiable scores from tests back when they were acceptable, I would be willing to accept them. Some sites out there offer correlations between scores on the current versions of these tests and IQ, which we could use if we wanted, but most high IQ societies out there don't use the current forms of these tests for admission anymore.

I have some questions about this. Why, exactly, did MENSA stop accepting SAT and GRE scores? I know that the tests were changed around the time they did, and that they consider the newer versions to no longer be good measures of intelligence, but why? If there's data to back this up, then how does it compare to data on the older versions of the tests?

Also, do you consider there to be score thresholds for which almost no one with a sub-130 IQ could reach on the newer versions? I've personally seen people prep their way to ~200 point gains (tests taken in the same year) on the pre-2005 version of the SAT, and I've heard of higher, but I haven't heard of that kind of jump on the GRE. Do you think this (http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/GREIQ.aspx) site is mostly right?

I'm guessing that it's probably good for most people, but that it probably starts to break down for the highly motivated*. For instance, I've seen numbers that put the average IQ of Harvard students at about 130, while SAT scores would probably predict something closer to 145.

* And rich, etc. Blah blah blah.

Hustler
27 Apr 2010, 12:01 AM
I have some questions about this. Why, exactly, did MENSA stop accepting SAT and GRE scores? I know that the tests were changed around the time they did, and that they consider the newer versions to no longer be good measures of intelligence, but why? If there's data to back this up, then how does it compare to data on the older versions of the tests?

Beats me. They just decided that it didn't correlate very well to IQ anymore so they didn't want to keep using it. I don't know what data they used to reach that conclusion.

Also, do you consider there to be score thresholds for which almost no one with a sub-130 IQ could reach on the newer versions? I've personally seen people prep their way to ~200 point gains (tests taken in the same year) on the pre-2005 version of the SAT, and I've heard of higher, but I haven't heard of that kind of jump on the GRE. Do you think this (http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/GREIQ.aspx) site is mostly right?

If IQ Comparison Site is right, then there probably isn't a score that a person with a 130 IQ couldn't get, if you've witnessed people getting 200 point jumps just through preparation and hear of even better jumps. According to that site, a 130 corresponds to a 1300. A 200 point jump gets you to 1500. You've heard of higher, so that gets you into the 1500s. 1600 is not too far off. Also, if 200 point gains are not uncommon, that means a person with a 116 IQ could get accepted into Mensa if he prepped his way to a 1300 SAT score and got a 200 point bump.

Maybe these gains weren't possible on the older SATs.

I'm guessing that it's probably good for most people, but that it probably starts to break down for the highly motivated*. For instance, I've seen numbers that put the average IQ of Harvard students at about 130, while SAT scores would probably predict something closer to 145.

An average IQ of 130 makes sense if you figure that Harvard students are more likely to have taken SAT prep courses, given that their average SAT score these days is somewhere around 1460, or about 160 points above what it should be if they really have a 130 average IQ. Note that, as far as I can gather, Harvard's average SAT prior to 1995 was about 1320. This corresponds to an IQ of about 136. If Harvard students really do have an average IQ of 130 (and that figure is sure to be on the rise, actually, as the growth in global population and college-eligible students continues to outpace Harvard enrollment, thereby creating even more competition and an even lower acceptance rate), then the average should have been about 1250. So, that's a 70 point difference, presumably also attributable to SAT preparation.

Another thing to consider is that Mensa requires you to turn in one entire test for admission. You can't take the best verbal and best math scores culled from two more more tests and put them together. Colleges let you do that. Given that the same person will experience some variance in scores on each section (and as a whole) just by repeating the SAT over and over, the average SAT scores at a college will be inflated from what the average they would hand into Mensa is, and they will be inflated further from what they're personal average score is (which probably represents IQ). So, it makes perfect sense for this phenomenon of IQ being lower than what SAT scores would indicate being true, even without considering SAT preparation.

Though there is always the possibility that Harvard students really have an average IQ more like 135.

!diom
27 Apr 2010, 01:56 AM
Though there is always the possibility that Harvard students really have an average IQ more like 135.

That's probably closer to right. I don't remember the specifics of the study, but I don't think there were a lot of math & science types involved. I think they would skew it.

Hustler
16 Sep 2010, 09:04 PM
Echoes seems like a really awesome poster, and he made that excellent thread about letting people with low IQs in here if they happen to make great posts. What do you think; should we let him in?

s0978
16 Sep 2010, 11:31 PM
Echoes seems like a really awesome poster, and he made that excellent thread about letting people with low IQs in here if they happen to make great posts. What do you think; should we let him in?

Yes, good idea.