Thread: INTJ/INTP difference in running monologue

Junior Member Array screamingflies's Avatar
    Type
    intj

Default INTJ/INTP difference in running monologue

I'm having trouble determining if im INTP or a lazy INTJ. So theres a thread out about how INTJ's and INTP's talk to themselves... But how do their running monologues e. i. their thought processes, & the role words play in that differ. the Left brain is what uses words to think, the right brain spatial thought. INTP's are suppose to think non-linearly. Here is my initial response to the other post on the other thread. compare it with your INTP thought process, and tell me if this is similar to yours & in what way, or tell me if its foreign & in what way:

::running monologue warning::
    hahaha yeah i cuss myself out too. then rationalize my behavior, & explain to myself why i did what i did & what the root cause is, then determine not to let the cause manifest itself again but it always does & i end up calling myself bad things again. wow maybe im INTP and not INTJ; damn im confused on what i am. only the left brain relies on words to process information. I guess that kind of shows it's always a mixture of both sides. is right brained thinking in words? what is thinking other than verbal & spatial. But how can you think of everything spatially. Is there such a thing as spatial verbal thought. hmm. OK maybe INTP's may convert things into words but they dont initially reason with words, the words are secondary, theyre atomic facts manipulated in space, but this is still too circumstantial.
    So do INTJ's rely on words as their primary thought structures & not secondary?
    I wonder if you could determine J/P by simply administering an IQ test & comparing verbal vs spatial dominance.
    Do INTJ's have a terrible sense of direction when driving, or is this an INTP triat. If it is then i deffinitly am INTP.

Keep in mind while reading this that it is a bit difficult to translate inner monologue into outer monologue. Does this kind of thought structure sound alien to you? If it does than ill call myself INTJ. someone comment; making a running dialogue of your thought process for me. REGARDS- ian

..,dats wabbit talk UFO Shoot Out Champion, KickUps Champion Array tinribz's Avatar
    Type
    ISTP

I am INTJ at work - lists, clean desk, pragmatic.
    I am INTP at home - Half finished DIY, abstract day dreams, plans that never come to fruition.
    Keep calm and carry on.

Type
    iNTp

It depends on what you mean by lazy?

When I am forced due to external pressures to get shit done, I will only focus on it vs. putting it off till the latest possible. I see the J/P battle as one in where your focus is of the few or the many. I am growing more J to be the best at a few areas vs. P in being more broad on my interests, but that is due to external pressures.

If I had no job and all the free-time I am a P. I think I benefit personally being a J. If it helps, the way I study is to do large chunks of one subject at a time, like here is my focus through Monday:

Thur-night: read Creative Writing Short Stories, start writing Short Story
    Fri: International Business project
    Sat: Finish American Writers Essay, continue/finish with short story
    Sun: Write up Finance Case, read AW book, Two group meetings...
    Mon-morn: continue AW Book... present material from group meetings... tie up loose ends...

However, I am flexbile in that I know what must be done and roughly how long each item will take, but prefer to focus on my IB project during an entire day. I guess you can say I force myself not to be lazy in placing heavier focus on my schoolwork v. just "getting by" and jerking around with the rest of my time.

Pitfall:
    Stressful, I don't like it that much but if I enjoy what I am doing (IB and C. Writing - "P" fields) I have no problems at all, ironic.
    "I come to know who I am by an intensely personal and passionate pursuit of what will give meaning to my life. As an existing individual, who must come to terms with everyday life, overcome its obstacles and setbacks, who must live and die, I have a life that no one else will live." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

INTJ

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by tinribz
    I am INTJ at work - lists, clean desk, pragmatic.
    I am INTP at home - Half finished DIY, abstract day dreams, plans that never come to fruition.
    Yes, I see this happening to me too.

I do some very J tasks at work. I work with very S-J people at work. I can be very S-J if needed.

I can handle it for a while.

But, as soon as I come off the clock, the watch goes in the drawer and my essential INTPness comes out. And I get happy again.

Banned Array
    Type
    INTJ

I don't think there's a correlation between INTPness and right brain dominance (unless someone can point me to something)?

Your internal monologue sounds INTP to me..mainly based on the debate you're having with yourself, and how many different factors are coming up for you. The INTJ monologue would be more linear and contain more "certainty".

Type
    intj

Quote Originally Posted by songbird36
    I don't think there's a correlation between INTPness and right brain dominance (unless someone can point me to something)?

Your internal monologue sounds INTP to me..mainly based on the debate you're having with yourself, and how many different factors are coming up for you. The INTJ monologue would be more linear and contain more "certainty".
    Hmmm. I guess ill just have to call myself INTP with J tendancies. I read a book citing some research that strongly suggests P's are right brained dominant, & J's are left brained dominant. It's also supported by the nature of the functions; wholes vs singulars. For example Se vs Si: Se changes in a nonlinear way because the outside world is nonlinear, its an awareness of outside sensation & immediate response not based on linear analysis, etc. hard to explain whereas Si takes a specific, select sensation & adds it internally to memory "puts it in boxes w/ lables on them". There's already been a debate on this, & not everyone agrees with it. But I do, in any case. I assumed since I'm "thinking with words" in a sense I would be left brained dominant, but I guess that INTP's think with words but not IN words, if that makes sense.
    Using this narrative the J/P difference is more innate, & the MBTI is only testing secondary results of it. This is why i thought lazyness & depression could inaccurately effect the results of the J/P difference. For example if a P has a job that turns him into a J, his brain is still P the entire time he's just compensating.
    I also do my work in huge chunks, but always on the very last day of course (3000 word paper, start it the day before, etc). I think both INTP & INTJ types can ~hyperfocus~, just like ADHD kids can hyperfocus. but that doesnt mean the INTP is now an INTJ. REGARDS- ian

Banned Array
    Type
    INTJ

You might need to examine some of your other traits. For example, do you plan/schedule your life a lot? Are you comfortable with the unexpected happening?

Type
    intj

I dont plan toward life goals, but I attribute that to depression & lazyness. I can't.. really say with certainty if i'm "uncomfortable with change". I do modify my arguements in light of new information... I dont know. INTJ's could also do that if the linear information doesnt compute. I don't use analogies the way most of you do on this thread. But maybe that means nothing. & I do have trouble writing music without analyzing it & that's what leads me to believe im not INTP but INTJ. I'm more of a "reductionist" when i listen to music. whereas INTP's would be more fluid, not needing to analyze each notes effect on the whole, just feeling it & writing from there. Maybe. I'm not sure about the last sentance which is why I cant make my decision.

Member Array
    Type
    INTJ

Some tests peg me as INTP because I'm a bit messy, often procrastinate, don't have particular life goals, and have a generally tolerant and laid-back view towards people. But I type myself confidently as INTJ. I don't think getting too theoretical with how one type thinks vs. the other type will lead to solid results... I'd suggest looking at these questions.

Your class has just gotten into groups to start on a group project. Do you attempt to make yourself the group leader? What factors would help you decide?

Have you had problems in your life with people trying to control you?