Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5w4: what does it mean to you?

staw away n00bs Array charred_heart's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Default 5w4: what does it mean to you?

I've realised I'm a 5w4, after some consideration. I always had the impression 5w4's are over emotional and self-pitying, so I wanted to know from those who have met any 5w4's: what's your impression of them?

For reference:

Five With a 4 Wing:
    The difference between the 4 wing and the 6 wing in Fives is like the difference between Art and Science. 4 wing brings an abstract, intuitive cast of thought, as though the Five were thinking in geometric shapes instead of words or realistic images. May be talented artistically and inhabit moods like Fours do. Combine intellectual and emotional imagination. Enjoy the realm of philosophy and beautiful constructs of thought. The marriage of mental perspective and aesthetics is the best of life for them.

When more defensive may seem a little ghostly, have a whisper in their voice. Fluctuate between impersonal withdrawal and bursts of friendly caring. Can get floaty and abstract. Act like they're inside a bubble, sometimes with an air of implicit superiority. Cliché of the "absentminded professor" applies especially to Fives with this wing.

Environmentally sensitive and subject at times to total overwhelm. Touchy about criticism. Can be slow to recover from traumatic events. Melancholy isolation and bleak existential depression are possible pitfalls.

Five With a 6 Wing

The 6 wing brings an orientation to detail and technical knowledge, along with the tendency to think in logical sequence. Especially intellectual, far more analytical than Fives with a 4 wing. Can be loyal friends, offering strong behind-the-scenes support. Kind, patient teachers, skillful experts. May have a sense of mission and work hard.

Sometimes project an aura of sensitive nerdiness and have clumsy social skills. When defensive, they can be unnerved by the expectations of others. May like people more but avoid them more. Especially sensitive to social indebtedness. Could have trouble saying "thank you." Fear of taking action, develop "information addiction" instead. Ask lots of questions but don't get around to the decision at hand.

When more entranced, they develop a suspicious scrutiny of other people's motives but can also be blind followers. Misanthropic and Scrooge-like when defensive. More able to keep their feelings cut off in a constant way. Can be cold, skeptical, ironic, and disassociated.

A Five's 6 wing can be phobic or counterphobic. Counterphobic 6 wing brings courage and antiauthoritarian attitudes. When defensive they may mock authority, or angrily tell others off. Tend to "push the envelope," experiment, find what the limits are.
    Intuition without concept is blind; Concept without intuition is empty
    You see things and you say "Why?"
    I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur
    I may be moody sometimes, but I would hardly call it self-pity. It's more like I get overwhelmed by too much thought and/or a kind of disdain for human beings in general.

The 4 wing leads to a lot of new projects all the time and what can only be described as creative living.

I suspect that a majority of INTP's are 5w4.
    it's the constant worrying that might appear as self-pity. It's pretty bad to be thought of that way considering I hate the "why me?" types. I jus realiesd I've been either depressed or restless most of my life, starting from the first desert storm so since I was 8. How about you ?

didn't screw anyone Array CosmicDust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

I'm a 5w6 and quite emotional and self-pitying. I initially thought I was a 5w4, partly because of this. I also experience things like shame and envy that can sound superficially Fourish. But real 4-wingers tend to be more pro-subjectivity (whereas I tend to find subjectivity unreliable and frustrating) and have fourish qualities I don't relate to much like elitist disdain and sometimes even the 4's need for a rich and somehow extraordinary emotional life (although, unlike 4s, they tend to have a limited tolerance for the emotions). They also tend to come off as more integrated with their emotions than 5w6s, but less so than, say, 4s or 6s.
    Who am I? I am no one to necessarily be remembered or known beyond a tiny sphere. In that sense, no different from the rock on the ground, or the globular star cluster in the distant galaxy at the edge of the Hubble sphere whose birth no human alive for eons will ever belatedly see. Shine on, unknowns of the Universe, shine on.
    5w6-soc/sp/sx-INTP-INTj

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDust
    They also tend to come off as more integrated with their emotions than 5w6s, but less so than, say, 4s or 6s.
    I think that's what convinced me I'm not a 5w6. I am not as 'sensetive' as 4's but feelings don't freak me out (most of the time). I'm not shy or awkward around strangers. On the other hand, I'm not as dedicated to research as 5w6's are when interested in a project. They are natural inventors because of their ability to work with huge amounts of data. I like to think up concepts but when it comes to working, I am tireles and focussed until a certain point where my mind raises an alarm that says 'this is getting unhealthy'. 5w6's seem to go on regardless of mental or physical health which is amazing.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by charred_heart
    I think that's what convinced me I'm not a 5w6. I am not as 'sensetive' as 4's but feelings don't freak me out (most of the time). I'm not shy or awkward around strangers.
    I don't think shyness or awkwardness has much of a correlation with wing. I was bold as a young child. Nowadays I'm maybe somewhat shy, or at least clearly introverted in most offline situations, but not painfully shy/socially anxious.

My relationship with feelings is kind of strange. They seem to occur in pretty much a normal human way from what I've read about normal human emotions, yet due to the contexts in which they show and my way of talking about them rather than from them, I manage to come across as robotic or Vulcanlike at times. This is what it is to not be integrated with emotions. My mind can treat them almost like an external object sometimes, even though I can't seem to keep them from showing up in situations where I don't want them to.
    Who am I? I am no one to necessarily be remembered or known beyond a tiny sphere. In that sense, no different from the rock on the ground, or the globular star cluster in the distant galaxy at the edge of the Hubble sphere whose birth no human alive for eons will ever belatedly see. Shine on, unknowns of the Universe, shine on.
    5w6-soc/sp/sx-INTP-INTj

Calmer than you are, dude Array ApeTheDog's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

I'm pretty good at self-sacrificial stuff that is to the benefit of a goal I've set. I don't consider myself as the most important thing in most equasions. I think that's where the 5w6 unhealthy thing comes from - the simple ability to think of ourselves as just 'a person' and treat ourselves as that. I think that if anyone can do/withstand it, then so must I - regardless of whether or not I feel like it. I'm often very harsh on myself because of that.
    No animals were harmed during the writing of this post.

Type
    INTP

My relationship with feelings is kind of strange. They seem to occur in pretty much a normal human way from what I've read about normal human emotions, yet due to the contexts in which they show and my way of talking about them rather than from them, I manage to come across as robotic or Vulcanlike at times. This is what it is to not be integrated with emotions. My mind can treat them almost like an external object sometimes, even though I can't seem to keep them from showing up in situations where I don't want them to.
    when a situation arises where you have strong emotions and you want to express them clearly, do you find yourself at a loss for words?

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ApeTheDog
    I'm pretty good at self-sacrificial stuff that is to the benefit of a goal I've set. I don't consider myself as the most important thing in most equasions. I think that's where the 5w6 unhealthy thing comes from - the simple ability to think of ourselves as just 'a person' and treat ourselves as that. I think that if anyone can do/withstand it, then so must I - regardless of whether or not I feel like it. I'm often very harsh on myself because of that.
    That's why 5w6's are a sort of mental super athletes. I hit the brakes because I ask this question to myself "Is this the purpose of your life?". I have this mentality where I am saving my last push, that last effort beyond reasonable means, for my real purpose in life. Everything else I treat as a side project.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by charred_heart
    when a situation arises where you have strong emotions and you want to express them clearly, do you find yourself at a loss for words?
    Not necessarily. I will be less likely to speak if I am emoting in-person and all choked up. But if I get over the initial physical emoting, or decide to work through it, or am online (emotions rarely interfere with my ability to write), the words I do choose might end up being unnecessarily convoluted, analytical, and distant, unless I make a deliberate effort to be more direct.

I can feel and I can articulate, but bringing these two together to articulate with emotional twinge is very difficult for me.
    5w6-soc/sp/sx-INTP-INTj

Type
    INTP

Not necessarily. I will be less likely to speak if I am emoting in-person and all choked up. But if I get over the initial physical emoting, or decide to work through it, or am online (emotions rarely interfere with my ability to write), the words I do choose might end up being unnecessarily convoluted, analytical, and distant, unless I make a deliberate effort to be more direct.
    That's the difference! See how I write in the forums? That's exactly how I talk in real life. Which is why I couldn't relate to this tendency of the 5w6's to rely on emails/forums for communication - in awkward situations.