Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Are younger brothers/sisters more likely to be INXJ's?

  1. #1
    totalitarian purge-monger Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Type
    xxxx
    Posts
    4,275

    Default Are younger brothers/sisters more likely to be INXJ's?

    I'm the oldest of two, and when I think of my friends my age who have a younger brother/sister of the same sex as them, and when they are the only two children of the family, the younger is always much more serious, reserved, and organised, with a competetitive edge. They are also more succesful academically. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    House of Cards
    Type
    INTP
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demagogic_schizoid View Post
    I'm the oldest of two, and when I think of my friends my age who have a younger brother/sister of the same sex as them, and when they are the only two children of the family, the younger is always much more serious, reserved, and organised, with a competetitive edge. They are also more succesful academically. Any thoughts?
    No, that's silly. Our oldest is INxJ and the baby is ESxJ.

  3. #3
    totalitarian purge-monger Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Type
    xxxx
    Posts
    4,275

    Default

    Fair enough, it's not going to be the case 100% of the time, but if it's over say 60% maybe there is a pattern. Would it least be fair to say that the younger sibling is likely to "take life more seriously"? I can't really explain why, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that they learn from their brother/sisters mistakes, as well as experiencing the same things as them but at a younger age, and maybe this makes them more mature for their age.

  4. #4
    Member Array cerene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California
    Type
    INTP
    Posts
    322

    Default

    I'm the youngest, and I'm actually most like my oldest brother, he's IxTP. My 3 siblings are each 2 years apart, and then i'm 9 yrs later (yeah, the baby of the family for sure!)
    I'd say your scenario is more likely to apply to my other brother, the youngest of 3 close in age..... he's ISFJ without a doubt. don't know about your question, but that's how it went in my family
    Cerene

    I'm not shy, I'm quietly examining my prey

    Extraversion 3 8 11 Introversion
    Sensing 6 4 10 iNtuition
    Thinking 10 6 4 Feeling
    Judging 2 12 14 Perceptive

  5. #5
    Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Limerick, Ireland
    Type
    INFP
    Posts
    40

    Default

    i'm oldest of three. i always tried just enough to pass in school, but my sister studies hard and does better than i did. she's also more competitive. im much more serious but consider that i'm an intp and she's an enfp. my bro is only 6 but he's v competitive, prob the most

    edit

    just noticed you said same sex. oh well...

  6. #6
    totalitarian purge-monger Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Type
    xxxx
    Posts
    4,275

    Default

    yeah I said same sex but it doesn't really matter, it's just that that was my experience. gender might have nothing to do with it, or it might even have have the opposite effect of what I was thinking, so take the thread in any direction you want - I just wanted to know people's own experiences really. Your one seems to fit in with what I was saying. It's like yougner siblings have more to live up to, and when you're older I guess you're more dominant in the house so maybe that makes you more laid back rather than the younger one who maybe has to "prove" something.

  7. #7
    Please leave a message... Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Type
    INTP
    Posts
    1,647

    Default

    My brother was an ESxP (F when young, seems more T now). The difference was night and day - I was always far more responsible.

    It is generally accepted that the youngest is less responsible while the oldest is generally more responsible. Middle kids tend towards being more balanced.

    Far as I know, E/I and N/S has no correlation whatsoever to birth order, while I believe older siblings are likely to answer more J traits. I don't know of any specific MBTI reports on this, however... just interpreting other instruments.

    I'd have to say; No, if anything, older siblings would be more likely to be INXJs.

  8. #8
    INFJ Ambassador to INTPtopia Array Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Type
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,347

    Default

    I had/have a sister and a brother. Matthew was the oldest but had developmental disabilities, and so didn't really fall into the natural "oldest child" thing (that tended to be me). My younger sister, however, is a pretty stereotypical youngest sibling. She's INFP. I am definitely - as the older sister - the more competitive, studious, reserved, etc.
    INFJ

  9. #9
    totalitarian purge-monger Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Type
    xxxx
    Posts
    4,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptGatsby View Post
    My brother was an ESxP (F when young, seems more T now). The difference was night and day - I was always far more responsible.

    It is generally accepted that the youngest is less responsible while the oldest is generally more responsible. Middle kids tend towards being more balanced.

    Far as I know, E/I and N/S has no correlation whatsoever to birth order, while I believe older siblings are likely to answer more J traits. I don't know of any specific MBTI reports on this, however... just interpreting other instruments.

    I'd have to say; No, if anything, older siblings would be more likely to be INXJs.
    Interesting, in my experience it has been the other way round. Maybe we're just wierd in London/Buenos Aires Province.

  10. #10
    totalitarian purge-monger Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Type
    xxxx
    Posts
    4,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I had/have a sister and a brother. Matthew was the oldest but had developmental disabilities, and so didn't really fall into the natural "oldest child" thing (that tended to be me). My younger sister, however, is a pretty stereotypical youngest sibling. She's INFP. I am definitely - as the older sister - the more competitive, studious, reserved, etc.

    Goddammmit, you're making me feel frivolous and trivial that my younger brother is more serious/organised/reserved/introverted than me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •