• Right Brained Other Type

5 6.85%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are INTPs Right Brained?

Type
    INTP

Default Are INTPs Right Brained?

Right Brain vs. Left Brain

Most people in the world are left brained - are INTPs on the wrong side again? - Find Out

A quick way to find out 1. with both eyes, put a distant object into the circle formed by your thumb and forefinger 2. now without moving, close your left eye, and if the distant object is still in the circle, you are left brained - if the object is no longer in the circle, you are right brained. [this works for right handed people, but I think left handers - and right handers - should take the test.

Definition
    This theory of the structure and functions of the mind suggests that the two different sides of the brain control two different "modes" of thinking. It also suggests that each of us prefers one mode over the other.

Discussion
    Experimentation has shown that the two different sides, or hemispheres, of the brain are responsible for different manners of thinking. The following table illustrates the differences between left-brain and right-brain thinking:

Left Brain__________________________Right Brain

Logical____________________________Random
    Sequential_________________________Intuitive
    Rational___________________________Holistic
    Analytical__________________________Synthesizing
    Objective__________________________Subjective
    Looks at parts______________________Looks at wholes

Verbal, focusing on words, symbols____Visual, focusing on images, patterns
    Process ideas sequentially____________Process ideas simultaneously
    Words used to remember things________Mind photos used, remember, faces not names
    Make logical deductions______________Make lateral connections
    Work up to the whole step by step_____See the whole first, then the details
    Like making lists and planning_________Free association
    follow rules without questioning________Like to know why you're doing something or why rules exist
    Good at keeping track of time_________No sense of time
    Things easily memorised_____________May have trouble with spelling and finding right words
    Enjoy touching and feeling objects______Enjoy observing
    Plan ahead_________________________Trouble prioritising, so often late, impulsive
    Likely read an instruction manual first___Unlikely to read instruction manual before trying
    Listen to what is being said ___________Listen to how something is being said

Most individuals have a distinct preference for one of these styles of thinking. Some, however, are more whole-brained and equally adept at both modes. In general, schools tend to favor left-brain modes of thinking, while downplaying the right-brain ones. Left-brain scholastic subjects focus on logical thinking, analysis, and accuracy. Right-brained subjects, on the other hand, focus on aesthetics, feeling, and creativity.

How Right-Brain vs. Left-Brain Thinking Impacts Learning
    Curriculum--In order to be more "whole-brained" in their orientation, schools need to give equal weight to the arts, creativity, and the skills of imagination and synthesis.

Instruction--To foster a more whole-brained scholastic experience, teachers should use instruction techniques that connect with both sides of the brain. They can increase their classroom's right-brain learning activities by incorporating more patterning, metaphors, analogies, role playing, visuals, and movement into their reading, calculation, and analytical activities.

Assessment--For a more accurate whole-brained evaluation of student learning, educators must develop new forms of assessment that honor right-brained talents and skills.

Links:
    Artists, Eyes, Hands and Brains
    Inventory
    Left Brain, Right Brain, Whole Brain
    Last edited by intpgolfer; 2 Nov 2006 at 09:07 PM.
    1. INTP: I=70% N=68% T=75% P=68% 2. Questions: "Is truth - an error - we all agree upon? Why is prosperity not without it's fears and distastes - while adversity is not without it's comforts and hopes?" 3. Favorites: Ti = OnLineBooks Ne = Glozer

Type
    INTP

Markedly right-brained.

Short Test: 62%R 28%L

Word Test: 82%R 36%L (Σ >100%?)

Word Choice Test: 70%R 30%L
    I = 90 -100
    N = 80-100
    T = 70 -90
    P = 60 -90

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by intpgolfer View Post
    Another quick way to find out 1. with both eyes, put a distant object into the circle formed by your thumb and forefinger 2. now without moving, close your left eye, and if the distant object is still in the circle, you are left brained - if the object is no longer in the circle, you are right brained.
    Why does parallax tell me anything about which hemisphere I preferentially use?

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Another quick way to find out 1. with both eyes, put a distant object into the circle formed by your thumb and forefinger 2. now without moving, close your left eye, and if the distant object is still in the circle, you are left brained - if the object is no longer in the circle, you are right brained. [this works for right handed people, but I think left handers should take the test.
    Daaaaaaah.... doesn't that simply tell you if you are right or left eye dominant?

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

And besides:

Code:
    Right Brain  	||||||||||||  	50%
    Left Brain 	|||||||||||| 	50%
    Since every question on this test I answered with "...maybe, if necessary"

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

nice poll

Good enough for Me Array Google Monster's Avatar
    Type
    XXXX

Right Brain |||||||||||| 50%
    Left Brain |||||||||||| 48%

Type
    INTP

Right Brain |||||||||||| 48%
    Left Brain |||||||||||||||| 66%
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Haight View Post
    Rebels are overrated.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lbloom View Post
    Why does parallax tell me anything about which hemisphere I use?
    I am no expert here - just thought it may be interesting if INTPs came out heavily on one side of the brain. I googled "right brained left eye" and came up with a lot of info. I would guess more INTPs are right brained - but that is just a guess - thus the poll.

Artists, Eyes, Hands and Brains

And it looks almost like left brain = Ti and right brained = Ne, but that is a guess also?

The test is preferable to my shortcut - every time.
    Last edited by intpgolfer; 2 Nov 2006 at 07:30 PM.
    1. INTP: I=70% N=68% T=75% P=68% 2. Questions: "Is truth - an error - we all agree upon? Why is prosperity not without it's fears and distastes - while adversity is not without it's comforts and hopes?" 3. Favorites: Ti = OnLineBooks Ne = Glozer

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

I didn't take this test but I have taken one before. It said I was balanced almost 50/50. My parents also took it, my INTJ father was extremely left-brained and my ESFP mother was extremely right-brained.

Unfortunately this means I can't vote in the poll and I find this very disappointing.
    Logic will break your heart.