Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aversion to sound?

Type
    INTP

Default Aversion to sound

This is something that i should probably ask a doctor about but it would seem a silly thing to go to the doctors for, also it's easier to sit and type it here.
    Most people have things that really can grind their nerves nails down a blackboard etc.But most non-harmonic sounds seem to really mess with my brain and completely destroy any thought trails i have running.Somebody eating a packet of crisps, somebody eating anything, nail biting, feet dragging on a carpet, sniffing, tapping just about everything except music which i like to listen to very loudly. People talking stops me thinking i just don't seem to be able to block out any noise. Ive never really thought about it much but it seems pretty much always that way it's been to be honest sometimes i get so irritated inside i would be embarrased to admit it. The fact that i know it would be totally irrational to let it affect my external behaviour to much keeps a lid on it if that makes any sense.
    I have five kids which doesn't help but don't think thats really relevant as all noises seem to irritate and smash my brain.
    does anybody Know what this might be or feel similar?

Made in Thailand Array Jennywocky's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Sorry if I missed some of these, but:

1. What sort of work do you do daily?
    2. Does it happen at particular times of the day, or all day long?
    3. Do you suffer any sort of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)?

I don't know if an actual medical condition is involved with you, but I know I experience extreme hypersensitivity at certain times of day, exacerbated by my environment.
    "The word on her lips is always YES, and all her being says YES YES YES to all that is happening and all that is offered her." - Anais Nin
    I love my life.

Catfood remaining: 84% Array NoahFence's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Autism and schizophrenia are the only things that leap to mind. How old are you?
    "Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." -Richard Feynman

Type
    INTP

Hyperacusis?

Type
    INTP

Science & Health or Gen Psych, Health or Gen Psych? mm, guessing discussion from the forum would lean toward the Psych.

There have been threads in the past about sensory sensitivities and introversion. Personally I have found my senses to be significantly more acute when I am detoxed and healthy. Not recommending coffee-booze-smokes, just sayin.

Moved from Psych Links.

Tokoyami no Sumeragi Array PiccoloNamek's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Do sound sensitive people prefer Sennheiser to Grado?
    Quote Originally Posted by omnirook
    I like it cold - and raining. That keeps the public private - behind closed doors, where they belong!

Junior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

I definintely have this kind of problem too, especially if I'm trying hard to concentrate (to read, in particular). Chewing of any kind and nail biting drive me insane sometimes, and someone talking when I'm trying to read, even if they're in another room, can throw me off. Just today I was outside reading a textbook when a girl at a nearby table started talking on her cellphone. It took me a few minutes to manage to concentrate on reading again.

I don't think I've been like this all my life. In fact, I don't think I noticed myself getting irritated by such noises until I was like 15 or so.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    Autism and schizophrenia are the only things that leap to mind. How old are you?
    Thanks for the Ideas
    I'm 33. I had considered Autism although i wouldn't consider myself autistic by any definition i understand. But my knowledge is limited.

My mother suffered from schizophrenia and my nephew has Asperger's syndrome, i hadn't considered schizophrenia till you mentioned it.
    Having five children and a partner who doesn't like silence is possibly just not giving me my daily quota of required introversion and making me more tetchy to outside influences.I have been thinking more in the past year about some serious issues so require clearer thought, maybe something that lies to an extent in all introverts is just more obvious at present.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
    Hyperacusis?

Thankyou for the idea, i went to a site but it doesn't correlate with myself.

Type
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    I was going to say the same thing, but basically any disorder that is on the Autistic spectrum.

My son has ODD and an aversion to sound, he can't eat in the same room as the rest of us, and he insists on plastic spoons and forks because of the sound.
    "Thank you for the tragedy. I need it for my art."