Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tone recognition test

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Default Tone recognition test

Are you tone deaf? http://www.jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/

I'm a jazz pianist and expected to shine. I spend time transcribing solos and playing "by ear" without (I thought) altering anything I heard. I spent hours and hours in my life concentrating on musical phrases and expected a 100% score. However, my score is 80.6%. Test was difficult (only one hearing of each sample), and humbling.

tin shitstamp Battle of Helms Deep Champion Array fripping's Avatar
    Type
    XxxX

83.3% and haven't played music in years. suck it, trebek.
    But I'm crying then I bang my head into the wall and then I see red and my forehead is now flat because I hit my head so hard. Then my friend Afams mom comes in and consoles me and I'm crying and my heads messed up then I tell her a quote of einsteins at that time my swag and flow was actually pretty high though.

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by fripping View Post
    83.3% and haven't played music in years. suck it, trebek.
    Ouch

Type
    INTP

83.3% Correct, but i cant play a damn thing.

edit:83.3 seems popular

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

83.3% is impressive. According to test, this means potential of being excellent musicians (world-class musicians at 90%).

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tayshaun View Post
    ah come on pal, you can take it again.

besides did you really want to leave anything unaltered........may as well improve it a bit along the way

Type
    INTP

what instrument should i take up at 32? trumpet or guitar?

tin shitstamp Battle of Helms Deep Champion Array fripping's Avatar
    Type
    XxxX

it's just a dumb test. i used to be a decent musician but my penchant for screwing around always kept me from being so great.
    Quote Originally Posted by stopharian View Post
    what instrument should i take up at 32? trumpet or guitar?
    guitar. when you play a wind instrument there's all this tricky internal stuff you have to do with your airways to sound good and stay in tune but with guitar it's all external, just have to develop finger toughness, dexterity, and muscle memory. if your guitar goes out of tune you just tweak the whatchamacallit a little bit and then forget about it.
    But I'm crying then I bang my head into the wall and then I see red and my forehead is now flat because I hit my head so hard. Then my friend Afams mom comes in and consoles me and I'm crying and my heads messed up then I tell her a quote of einsteins at that time my swag and flow was actually pretty high though.

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

I used to be a decent musician but my penchant for screwing around always kept me from being so great.
    The reason why I started playing jazz. Freedom and theoretical knowledge to screw around really well.

guitar. when you play a wind instrument there's all this tricky internal stuff you have to do with your airways to sound good and stay in tune but with guitar it's all external, just have to develop finger toughness, dexterity, and muscle memory. if your guitar goes out of tune you just tweak the whatchamacallit a little bit and then forget about it.
    Learning the trumpet has advantages as well and one of them is actually the "tricky internal stuff you have to do with your airways to sound good" (this is less of a problem with the flute, clarinet, saxophone). I have a 25 year old professional jazz pianist friend who just picked up the trumpet and is loving the challenge.

An obvious advantage of knowing how to play the guitar is social. The guitar is a transportable polyphonic instrument (unlike the piano). Therefore, you can bring it along and play in a wide variety of contexts. Learning a polyphonic instrument is really worth it. Musical theory is easier to visualize and you learn to master harmony much faster. This is why many jazz musicians use the piano to practice harmony and theory.