View Poll Results: Do girls grow up to be like their mothers?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 22.64%
  • No

25 47.17%
  • I equivocate

16 30.19%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do girls grow up to be like their mothers?

Cynical Facetious Heckler Array mancroft's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Default Do girls grow up to be like their mothers?

Do girls grow up to be like their mothers?

I suggest that they do and that young men should look at their girlfriend's mother to see what their girlfriend will turn into.

So do girls grow up to be like their mothers?
    INTPC UK Photos ... MBTI Guide

Baaaraaack Obaaamaaa.

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Depends on whether the mother has a personality disorder, I guess.

Type
    INFP

No, not all the time. Otherwise I would be a psycho maniac, who beats the crap out of her kids (step mother) or I would have abandoned my kids.(rel mother)

Every ones says that I am the odd one out in my family.
    "Thank you for the tragedy. I need it for my art."

We've got a file on you Array Stoned_Rider's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

... and you know, you never know! - David Beckham http://www.intpcentral.com/uploads/Sans titre.JPG

Type
    INFj

I'd imagine there'd be some physical similarities and mannerisms that would be inevitable, but no more than that. It depends on a lot of things.

Example: I have two daughters, one an INTJ and one an INFP.

INTJ kind of has my face shape and straight hair like me and has the INJ thing going on like I do. But she is not going to be built like me. She has a larger frame like her dad. She will probably do some things the way I do when she's grown, but she's more driven to be competent, etc than I am.

INFP kind of has my eyes and nose. She has the INF thing going on like I do and she's small-framed like me. She will probably do some things the way I do, but she is much more demonstrative and social than I am.

So you look at either one of them when they are grown from one angle and you could say they are like me. You look at them from another angle and you would say they are very different. They are pretty different from one another despite both being my daughters.

Don't eat yellow snow! Array Park's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by mancroft View Post
    Do girls grow up to be like their mothers?

I suggest that they do and that young men should look at their girlfriend's mother to see what their girlfriend will turn into.

So do girls grow up to be like their mothers?
    Are you thinking about appearence, personality or...? My mother is an ENFJ and white. I'm an INTP and asian - actually no, I don't think I'll undergo this rather scary transformation.

Made in Thailand Array Jennywocky's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

There is some mother-daughter modeling that occurs simply because of the gender role model, and of course there is thepotential for genetic similarities.

(For example, my wife has her mother's mouth and features, but the shape of her father's head and her father's hair consistency; her brother is almost reversed -- the head shape and hair type of his mother, the large frame of his father.)

But as far as personality specific traits, other than what is passed socially or through the genes? It's just typical odds for something to appear.

I really think the big thing is the gender role modeling; fathers teach their sons how to be men, mothers teach their daughters how to be women, and so some of the individual personality quirks are passed down in how people express themselves.
    "The word on her lips is always YES, and all her being says YES YES YES to all that is happening and all that is offered her." - Anais Nin
    I love my life.

Type
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Are you thinking about appearence, personality or...? My mother is an ENFJ and white. I'm an INTP and asian - actually no, I don't think I'll undergo this rather scary transformation.

Ornery Hathor of Krikkit Array booyalab's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned_Rider View Post
    ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    that's all well and good, but you didn't reply to the poll. So, do girls grow up to be like their mothers?
    "So why did I do it? I could offer a million answers, all false. The truth is that I'm a bad person, but that's going to change, I'm going to change." Renton, Trainspotting

Type
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunato View Post
    I really think the big thing is the gender role modeling; fathers teach their sons how to be men, mothers teach their daughters how to be women, and so some of the individual personality quirks are passed down in how people express themselves.
    Yeah, so when you get someone who was taught how to be a woman, but then changed sex and became a man, with no father to teach them how to be one, it's pretty unfair when 'normal' men turn around and try to invalidate their gender on the basis that they haven't yet grasped every aspect of male etiquette...

I'd agree with Fortunato's point, except that I'd add that it depends on what kind of relationship they have with their mother. The better, the more chance they'll become like her, I'd say.
    E 63%
    N 98%
    T 58%
    P 61%

Social Five