Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous INTP novelists or fiction writers

Made in Thailand Array Jennywocky's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Prothero View Post
    I agree with your point, yet it is exactly what I would expect from an INTP writer whose work is about to be presented to the public, especially when the venue is changing from the written word on paper to the spoken one on stage. A painter knows what the world will see, a composer, what it will hear. A writer can only share such certainty while the words remain on paper. Today it is Hollywood that can ruin almost anyone's fiction, so I would expect the INTP to worry obsessively (until it's completed) and be the one to put integrity of the translation above fame and fortune.
    I've experienced that often in the past.

It's basically the Ti nature being expressed in a work of value to the writer. If someone mucks with it, the balance gets thrown off and it's no longer representative of the original vision.

And I get really BENT when people do translations and lose the essence of the work... whether it's mine or not. (I've seen some good translations that change details but keep the essence of the work, and I can be very happy with that.)
    "The word on her lips is always YES, and all her being says YES YES YES to all that is happening and all that is offered her." - Anais Nin
    I love my life.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    If a play I'd written was being produced I'd happily give the director free reign to see where the piece went.
    That's what I thought going into that situation, yet once the rehearsals began I found myself becoming concerned about the director's vision taking it too far off course. We had many discussions and just as many compromises. As much as I enjoyed watching the characters come to life, it was unsettling enough to make me give up the idea of being a playwright.
    "Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding.
    The trial of effort. The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought, and action."

Type
    INTP

Default INTP writers:

James Joyce is the first one that I can think of. He was a solitary person no doubt, but when in good company he was witty and agreeable company. He's certainly still readable, although I tend to skip passages where he starts to ramble on and on about his religious reservations. Portrait of an Artist for instance. I love the way he thinks though.

J.D. Salinger is a definite INTP candidate too.

Senior Member Array meanlittlechimp's Avatar
    Type
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miagi View Post

J.D. Salinger is a definite INTP candidate too.

I would say INFP.

Salinger had been a follower of Zen Buddhism, and had met the scholar D. T. Suzuki. Then he became a life-long student of Advaita Vedanta Hinduism. This has been described at length by Som P. Ranchan in his book, An Adventure in Vedanta: J. D. Salinger's the Glass Family (1990). Sri Ramakrishna and his student Vivekananda were important contemporary figures he studied. In this tradition, celibacy and detachment from human responsibilities such as family are emphasized for those seeking enlightenment. Margaret Salinger says that she might have never been born if her father had not read Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda who brought the possibility of enlightenment to those following the path of the "householder" (i.e., married person with children). J. D. and Claire were initiated into this path of Kriya yoga in a small store-front Hindu temple in a lower-middle class neighborhood of Washington, DC. They received a mantra and breathing exercises that they were to practice for ten minutes twice a day. Salinger had sudden jumps of enthusiasm for different belief-systems that he then insisted Claire also follow. Salinger tried Dianetics (later called Scientology), even meeting L. Ron Hubbard himself, according to Claire.[19] [1] This was followed by a number of spiritual/medical/nutritional belief systems including Christian Science, teachings of Edgar Cayce, homeopathy, acupuncture, macrobiotics, fasting, megadoses of Vitamin C, vomiting to remove impurities, solar reflectors for tanning, drinking one's own urine (this is part of the folk-medicine of several cultures around the world; see urine therapy), "speaking in tongues" (glossolalia) which he learned at a Charismatic church, and sitting in a Reichian "orgone box" to accumulate "orgone energy."

Junior Member Array
    Type

I think Pynchon is an INTP.
    Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.

Alan Watts

Type

man im glad i dont waste my time reading. those confusing books ya'll talking about sound like my intentionally fucked up webcomic, which i intentionally make confusing just to fuck w/ people. the author is prolly rolling in his grave laughing at all ya'll

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    man im glad i dont waste my time reading. those confusing books ya'll talking about sound like my intentionally fucked up webcomic, which i intentionally make confusing just to fuck w/ people. the author is prolly rolling in his grave laughing at all ya'll
    sounds like you read Crichton, Coontz and Harry Potter.

and didn't realize Joyce was toying with you before you finished 1/100th of his "literary work."

Type

what u talking about O.o

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Perhaps Jorge Luis Borges.

Jack London?
    Hah, you really have a screwed view of what an INTP is.

Type
    INTP

Yes, Jack London doesn't fit the INTP criteria at all. He's quite the opposite in fact.