Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Careers for INTP

Junior Member Array
    Type

Default Careers for INTP

Most of the opinions I've read regarding career options for INTP types include professor/teacher, mathemetician, chemist, lawyer, computer programmer, etc.

Now, save for the positions in education, these jobs only seem to focus on the introverted nature of the personality type.

My question is; how can a person who suffers from constant boredom, prefers theory and speculation or fantasy to actualization, and requires constant change and mental stimulation be employable?

I struggle with my niche as a freelance animator and designer, which allows me ample time to daydream and experiment, but leaves me in precarious financial positions.

A teaching position seems ideal, but the beuraceracy involved would seem to be maddening.

Also, if you're an INTP, what do you do for a living?

Ain't that a peach? Array jread's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus_Emerged View Post
    how can a person who suffers from constant boredom, prefers theory and speculation or fantasy to actualization, and requires constant change and mental stimulation be employable?
    Ph.D. ----> Professor

A great path to take if you don't like doing any sort of real, productive work:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Spolsky
    People who are Smart but don't Get Things Done often have PhDs and work in big companies where nobody listens to them because they are completely impractical. They would rather mull over something academic about a problem rather than ship on time. These kind of people can be identified because they love to point out the theoretical similarity between two widely divergent concepts. For example, they will say "Spreadsheets are really just a special case of programming language" and then go off for a week and write a thrilling, brilliant white paper about the theoretical computational linguistic attributes of a spreadsheet as a programming language. Smart, but not useful.
    A great majority of us work in I.T. or software development. Others are "philosophers", "writers" or "artists" (a.k.a. unemployed). There are a few lawyers on here and they recommend not going that route. I think there are a few more in the medical field.
    I-80% N-38% T-100% P-22%

Type
    INTP

That quote you quoted was unfair and untrue.

I work in a small company, not a big one.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Spolsky
    People who are Smart but don't Get Things Done often have PhDs and work in big companies where nobody listens to them because they are completely impractical. They would rather mull over something academic about a problem rather than ship on time. These kind of people can be identified because they love to point out the theoretical similarity between two widely divergent concepts. For example, they will say "Spreadsheets are really just a special case of programming language" and then go off for a week and write a thrilling, brilliant white paper about the theoretical computational linguistic attributes of a spreadsheet as a programming language. Smart, but not useful.
    This is exactly what you want to do - get paid for being smart, not useful. Tools are useful. Don't be a tool.

justified and ancient Othello Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion Array bluebell's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus_Emerged View Post
    Also, if you're an INTP, what do you do for a living?
    When I was at college I was all set for the academic career. Life didn't turn out the way I expected. I'm now a project manager in a large organisation where I get to occasionally be a science/techie nerd. But I love it. Mostly it's the people, I actually feel part of the team.

And there's a huge amount of variety. I'm juggling lots of different projects and I just switch between them when I got bored (ie every half hour or so, or less). I don't mind having to do a bit of admin, it adds to the variety. I work chaotically and messily but everything gets done in the end. I'm the one who knows where everything is and who to contact for what - my mind has absorbed the whole structure of the organisation I work for, this is one model in my head that is actually useful for something . I network compulsively cos that's data for the model in my head, my mind automatically keeps track of who's working where on what project, their promotions etc.

I'm not that fussed what I do as long as there's variety and people around me. I'm I but need to feel like I belong to a group of good people.

Senior Member Array RottenApple's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

INTPs are great at starting things but finishing them seems pointless.

So any career with an emphasis on creativity and possibly some external 'J' factor to keep you in line...because there are practical implications to living in the system.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    When I was at college I was all set for the academic career. Life didn't turn out the way I expected. I'm now a project manager in a large organisation where I get to occasionally be a science/techie nerd. But I love it. Mostly it's the people, I actually feel part of the team.

And there's a huge amount of variety. I'm juggling lots of different projects and I just switch between them when I got bored (ie every half hour or so, or less). I don't mind having to do a bit of admin, it adds to the variety. I work chaotically and messily but everything gets done in the end. I'm the one who knows where everything is and who to contact for what - my mind has absorbed the whole structure of the organisation I work for, this is one model in my head that is actually useful for something . I network compulsively cos that's data for the model in my head, my mind automatically keeps track of who's working where on what project, their promotions etc.

I'm not that fussed what I do as long as there's variety and people around me. I'm I but need to feel like I belong to a group of good people.
    I have a theory regarding myself (don't know if it applies to other INTPs), but I think I want something like what you have...to be part of the team, doing something fast-moving, challenging, and stimulating. I think part of the INTP conundrum is that we want constant stimulation, and one of the few ways you can do that is by working with people, which isn't exactly our strength.

Some people have found this sort of stimulation in computer science, and that might work for me too, but I don't think I can realistically go back to school.

I think I want to manage the research department of a non-profit. That's my new goal (for now). Management is a little outside my comfort level, but I think I could be a great manager if given the opportunity. Unfortunately, being a quiet analytical type doesn't exactly scream "Manager"

Senior Member Array Notsweetynice's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

I think there are INTPs in most every field. I'm a yoga instructor and post on a yoga message board. There are definitely a few INTPs there (even if they don't know it). They are the ones who have a bunch of rebellious ideas regarding the science/medical aspects of yoga. They don't just take a gurus thoughts as truth, but question and take seriously western AND eastern ideas. One of these INTP yogis says he's thinking of writing a book (everyone is telling him he should), but just hasn't gotten around to it. It's almost more beneficial to be in the minority as an INTP because then you quickly get a reputation as the 'smart' one, even if you aren't even trying to be smart.

Type
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    This is exactly what you want to do - get paid for being smart, not useful.
    That is exactly the description of my dream job - getting paid to think.

I'm pretty much useless when it comes to everything after that.
    Bah.

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Years of Jungian analysis could help you find an appropriate career path. Even if this could resonate with something which at first either sounds as social parasite or how the hell could I ever do that kind of autonomy sacrificing job?.

There are no general formulas for finding a gratifying INTP job, the process of individuation depends on the individual although personality types can reveal trends such as researcher and autonomous abstract thinker.

(I tend to say things so obvious that it becomes painful to realize how much my posts can lack creative and constructive content. In this case I wrote to say nothing except whine a little about saying nothing. Pathetic Yes, bad day... and trolling ...INFPish )