Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Generation Y

Type
    INFj

Baby busters 1957-71
    Generation Jones 1969-71
    Generation X 1970-86
    MTV generation/ Doom generation 1970-1985
    Interesting. This makes me a young Buster, a middle Gen Jones, or an Old Gen X/MTV/Doomer.

To the topic, my kids were born between 1993 and 1998, so if the workplace is becoming more user-friendly, I think that's a good thing. The economy that they are going into is pretty harsh, their parents and grandparents have experienced lay-offs and downsizing, etc so they probably are not going to be into making their job their life, nor are they going to have a strong sense of loyalty to an employer (didn't do dad/grandma any good). Pretty predictable outcome, IMO.

Type
    INTP

Far as I'm concerned, Gen X are the current crop of 30 and 40 year olds. Gen Y are the children of the 80s and 90s. Wikipedia can suck it. Gen Y is less cynical, more idealistic, and more open to homosexual, bisexual, or polyamorous arrangements — in other words, more queer. They don't challenge traditional mores as much, but they tend toward libertarian or anarchist, regardless of political party. They like absurdist over ironic humor. At least in my little corner of the world.

Senior Member Tetris Champion, SAM Site Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion Array !diom's Avatar
    Type
    IXXP

I prefer the term iGen. Soon we'll be patented by Steve Jobs.

staw away n00bs Array charred_heart's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Far as I'm concerned, Gen X are the current crop of 30 and 40 year olds. Gen Y are the children of the 80s and 90s. Wikipedia can suck it. Gen Y is less cynical, more idealistic, and more open to homosexual, bisexual, or polyamorous arrangements ? in other words, more queer. They don't challenge traditional mores as much, but they tend toward libertarian or anarchist, regardless of political party. They like absurdist over ironic humor. At least in my little corner of the world.
    Recognising the 'cusp' generations shouldn't be overlooked. There's a big difference in attitude between those born in the early to mid 80's and those born in the late 80's to early 90's. The former group share some of the qualities you mentioned while having X-gen traits. They may not be as open as the true Y generation (although more tolerant than older generations) and may not be into absurbist humour as them (at least in my part of the world).
    Intuition without concept is blind; Concept without intuition is empty
    You see things and you say "Why?"
    I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"

Type
    INTP

* enjoys absurdist humor *

Well, now that we've all had something to say re: where we think the Y''s, X's and so forth fall age-wise ( terminology ) let's get back to discussing personality traits.

My Gen Y friends are constantly in touch ( by cell phone ) with what they sometimes call "the group", and this collective intelligence ( aided by GPS etc. ) is constantly tweaking and updating what they will do next. Many decisions are kept tentative until the last hours or minutes, as each person checks with others in their network (s), who may cause their decision to be reversed. It's interesting to me that they feel a more consistent need to check with me and confirm something I've agreed to do, and no matter how often I assure them that my decisions stand, this pattern continues because they are used to people changing their minds.

My brother is not from this Y generation, but I've noticed that he cannot watch an entire movie without taking breaks; whether that means putting a video on pause while leaving the room ( he rarely goes to theaters because of this ) or changing channels etc. I think he likes to read the end of a book before deciding whether to read the rest. He may not read much of it, even after having decided to check it out. He prefers short articles and seems less inclined in these later years to enjoy fiction.

Reminding me of my brother's habits, I often see young people coming and going from a theater at odd times. They literally cut to the chase scene, or at least attempt to, perhaps. To me, the build-up to "climax" scenes constitutes much of what gives them impact. If I don't care about a character, then I don't care if he/she is threatened or dies. The "caring" feeling is what some of the slower sections of the film are supposed to be about. Just as an effective street beggar knows he must first get you to see him as a person vs. a hand stretched out in your face for money. This is also why I like older "heavy metal", which builds to a moment of screaming intensity vs. begins and ends etc. with it. These days movie makers already put many of the more intense moments ( for action movies anyway ) into trailers designed to whet one's appetite. I wonder if seeing the trailer alone will suffice for Generation Z ? "Right then, we've checked off the lorry exploding and the shoot-out in the abandoned warehouse, and we've just got to wait a bit more for the seduction scene, unless ...we're done here ? Copy."
    "Briggs here. We're over at the Esquire with a similar situation, and I think you've nailed it mate. Let's move on to the next action item then. The party at Sheila's, I believe. Rendezvous still calibrated at Tophouse Square 7 PM, pending updates. Copy. " "Roger that."

I see the ads for consumer devices targeting GenY are cognizant of this. "Our telephone will also take pictures, shine your shoes, provide a small umbrella, and give you a shave. Plug it in to your buddy's camera and the two will instantly synch up and exchange personal preferences and the latest calendars. And you'd better quit listening to this ad and get going mate. You're late for the meeting. Unless of course, you don't want to go to it anymore...."
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

Type
    INTP

lol! Generation Y are the borg?

I can't believe that this generation has completely lost it's individuality. Sometimes older people like to think that what they considered 'uncool' is accepted by younger generations, since everything they thought was cool is now out of date. Or maybe I just made that up on the spot

Type
    INTP

I was going to dispute the hivemind, but I just got a call from my buddy asking what me and my other friend were planning to do before we all met up for a show in Manhattan.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    I was going to dispute the hivemind, but I just got a call from my buddy asking what me and my other friend were planning to do before we all met up for a show in Manhattan.
    *double take*

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by charred_heart View Post
    lol! Generation Y are the borg?

I can't believe that this generation has completely lost it's individuality. Sometimes older people like to think that what they considered 'uncool' is accepted by younger generations, since everything they thought was cool is now out of date. Or maybe I just made that up on the spot
    Ha Ha. I know that sometimes people will wear clothing that is purposely very unfashionable as a kind of "hip" statement. You'll see young guys with wool checkered pants on, that have the kind of huge squares as checks, and argyle socks on their feet etc. Maybe top it off with a bowling shirt and a tie over that. Haircut short on the sides but allowing a very long section of bangs to hang over one side of the face, which has to be flipped back out of the way with a head shake every few minutes. Wearing two belts instead of one. This may be more X than Y though. Sometimes people like this are really fun to be with and there are some that just ooze attitude and only want to socialize with their set.
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Ha Ha. I know that sometimes people will wear clothing that is purposely very unfashionable as a kind of "hip" statement. You'll see young guys with wool checkered pants on, that have the kind of huge squares as checks, and argyle socks on their feet etc. Maybe top it off with a bowling shirt and a tie over that. Haircut short on the sides but allowing a very long section of bangs to hang over one side of the face, which has to be flipped back out of the way with a head shake every few minutes. Wearing two belts instead of one. This may be more X ?than Y though. Sometimes people like this are really fun to be with and there are some that just ooze attitude and only want to socialize with their set.
    I think you just described both the 80's and the emo crowd.
    heh, it's all melding together now...