Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are INFPs really that different?

Type
    INTP

Default Are INFPs really that different?

I was at some INFP forum. I searched for a while for something I might like to discuss with them...I didn't find anything. I did, however, find this: http://infp.globalchatter.com/messag...pic.php?t=9102

I can't tell if it (the site as well as this specific thread) is supposed to be a joke or if those are really the things they talk about. The whole site is just...I don't know, but kinda like: .

Is this typical discussion for INFPs?

It seems odd to me that this one change in one preference could make such a HUGE difference while INTJs seem somewhat difficult to differentiate from INTPs. Is this because the difference is in a function as opposed to the manner in which the function is oriented?
    Coffee isn't my cup of tea.
    Samuel Goldwyn
    |R|CueI INTP

Mr. Mocoso to you, son Array Oso Mocoso's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdoh View Post

It seems odd to me that this one change in one preference could make such a HUGE difference
    Holy shit I'm an INTP and my mom is an INFP. I have to admit, she's one of my best friends. I have another really close friend who is also an INFP. They're both really bright, interesting, and trustworthy people. However, they both send me sappy Christian emails. You know what I'm talking about, right? Not chain letters, but emotionally manipulative emails with lots of images and a saccharine-sweet message? Yeah ... in my sample size of two, INFPs go for that sort of thing. They're on a different wave-length than INTPs.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    However, they both send me sappy Christian emails. You know what I'm talking about, right? Not chain letters, but emotionally manipulative emails with lots of images and a saccharine-sweet message? Yeah ... in my sample size of two, INFPs go for that sort of thing. They're on a different wave-length than INTPs.
    Ha, yeah, I know what you mean about the e-mails. I'm not sure if I know any INFPs, or if I do, I'm not sure that I've been able to identify them.

Is this how it is just with INTPs vs. INFPs, or is this how it is with any one preference change? My girlfriend is (as far as I've been able to gather) an ISTP, and she seems very similar to me as far as the manner in which we think. It just seems that she likes physical systems and things while I like abstractions.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is: would any one change in letter have such HUGE impacts upon personality, or are these vast differences observable between only a few types (such as INTPs and INFPs)?
    Samuel Goldwyn
    |R|CueI INTP

Type
    INTP

It seems odd to me that this one change in one preference could make such a HUGE difference while INTJs seem somewhat difficult to differentiate from INTPs. Is this because the difference is in a function as opposed to the manner in which the function is oriented?
    It's funny you should bring this up because I was literally just wandering INTJforum doing the exact same thing. It amazed me that it was all so dry and straightforward. Unless they have the most subtle humor imaginable (or they save it for designated areas that I missed completely) it simply isn't there to be found.

Conquering fun was a personal favorite of mine. If someone tried that OP here I doubt it would stay on topic for long.
    Last edited by Twitch; 20 Apr 2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added link
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    A Khal without jigglers is no Khal.

Type
    INTP

BTW...what is fripping? Is that some INTPc inside joke?
    Samuel Goldwyn
    |R|CueI INTP

greatness personified Array sandwich's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

BTW...what is fripping? Is that some INTPc inside joke?
    http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=29189

Type
    INTP

An INFP is quite different to an INTP.

An INFP's dominant function is introverted feeling, and the INTPs dominant function is introverted thinking.

The ISTP's dominant function is also introverted thinking which can make them look quite similar to an INTP. This is probably why your girlfriend seems similar in some ways to you.

An INTJ's dominant function is introverted intuition, so again they can look quite different to an INTP, even though only one letter is different.

When looking for similarities and differences, I'd suggest looking to dominant (and auxiliary) functions, rather than just at the E/I, S/N, T/F, J/P preferences.

Type
    INTP

Dansker's right: function preferences will lead to greater similarity than "letter differences". In the case of the INTJ, two functions are changed, and someone else on this board commented a few times about how Fi interferes with Ti, thus the INFP view is painful to attempt to adopt. (Just thinking about that now, I realized that what I usually think of as Fi is probably mostly Si, still using Ti to prioritize things)

Are all INFPs way out there? I didn't follow the OP's link but my dad is an INFP and he's always been incredibly hard to understand because his words never relate to how he really feels, since he's trying to make everyone happy. I'm pretty sure my mom was an INFP, and while she was a great artist I couldn't follow her philosophical tangents because they simply didn't make sense to me.

Now I'm feeling all fun and recreational, and thinking someone should duplicate the INTJ thread and ask if recreation is really needed in modern society, or if fun is even a valid concept or just a buzzword we American's invented
    INTP; INFP;INTJ; ISTP; entp

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious vowel
    Noelle: What's wrong, Abby?
    Dr. Abby Barnes: Nothing that a rooftop and an AK-47 won't take care of.

self Array
    Type
    ISFJ

We have a lot of threads that are just as not worthwhile as that topic. Examples:

http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=24208

And

http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=23015

And there really is good conversation on INFP Global Chatter, although you have to avoid subori like "express yourself."

Type
    infx

...I can't tell if it (the site as well as this specific thread) is supposed to be a joke or if those are really the things they talk about. The whole site is just...I don't know, but kinda like: .

There are INFPs who have the same reaction to that site. Online forums based on the soft boundary of self-identifying types can take on a culture of their own that is not a distilled representation of a particular type. It only takes a handful of central individuals to establish the culture in an online forum.

INFs can value theoretical discussions about subjective, human based systems. There is such a thing as emotional intelligence that delves into analyzing complex layers of psychology, philosophy, aesthetics, and for whom sentimental chitchat is fodder for vomit.
    "Just to clear the deck and make sure everything is upfront, I own no monkeys"