Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why INTJs are Boring and INTPs Interesting?

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTJ

Default Why INTJs are Boring and INTPs Interesting?

*also put this thread on the MBTIc fora*

Alright, so it struck me the other day that whenever I meet an INTP (I suspect this might be a more general NP thing, though), they are invariably interested in music, film, literature etc. They know all the obscure stuff and all the classics, they are passionate about and devoted to their (self-chosen) hobbies and enjoy finding hidden musical gems and "self-improvement" through exploring the stuff they are into (if they aren't naturally into something, that's another thing altogether).

The INTP will constantly ask me "Do you know x?" "Have you heard y?" etc. To which I'll almost always have to say "No...". After a while, it becomes irritating and I start feeling like an undereducated fool. I don't naturally have the urge to get engrossed in such things in the real world...I do not seek them out and most of the fun/interesting things I've come across I haven't found because I was looking for them, but because they were suggested to me or brought into my life by other people (including school). I'm open to everything they suggest and often feel very grateful for what they've added to my life, but I don't purposefully go looking for it, I just pick up what comes my way...possibly because the INTJ's primary function is a perceiving one whereas the INTP's is a judging one. You pick, we accept.

So...then I was thinking...what do I do with my time when I don't really work very hard and don't inherently have the need to do anything *overtly* interesting either? Basically, I daydream and I think. As opposed to Ne which appears to need tangible creative input, Ni is fine sitting in a silent window-less room and running its course like that. The entertainment system lies within and is much less visible to other people, ergo, the INTJ might be seen as boring. Mac was asking me about Star Wars, to which I replied I have Star Wars in my head, but that really does seem to be the case.

Anyways...recognisable? Comments?

christ's grandfather Array ajblaise's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

P's are more into things that can't be measured (music, film, literature..) while J's are more into things that can (math, chemistry, physics).

But I'd say INTJ's are more proficient in anime, for some reason.

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTJ

I wouldn't really seek out the sciences either. Perhaps this is because of low Te, though, and more stereotypical INTJs would go for that.

Anime might be very Ni. I have an ENFJ friend that's wild about it.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uytuun View Post
    Anime might be very Ni. I have an ENFJ friend that's wild about it.
    I know an INTJ guy who is crazy about anime, and he cried when some Final Fantasy character died while he was playing the game.

I think they have some sort of emotional connection to it, or get something emotional out of anime.

Banned Array
    Type
    INTP

I'd say INTPs are fun and interesting
    INTJs are interesting and fun

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I know an INTJ guy who is crazy about anime, and he cried when some Final Fantasy character died while he was playing the game.

I think they have some sort of emotional connection to it, or get something emotional out of anime.
    What does crying at a computer game have to do with watching anime?

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kirai View Post
    What does crying at a computer game have to do with watching anime?
    It's anime-like and has lots of little anime movies in it.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Thanks. Now I really feel like a complete failure. That's why I visit this forum.
    something like that

Junior Member Array MyopicMemory's Avatar
    Type
    intp

In theory wouldn't an INTJ's Te want to share with the outside world the fruits of Ni's....well whatever the hell it is Ni does and wouldn't the INTP's primary introverted judging function (Ti) keep him/her tethered primarily to their inner world? It seems like reality is backwards from what one would expect from looking at the functions for each type.

edit: Here's a comparison I found interesting.

http://intjforum.com/archive/index.php/t-7084.html
    http://forums.intpcentral.com/showth...t=18512&page=1

There's a noticeable difference in how each type as a whole went about the question. It seems like more INTPs attempted to subjectively describe time while more INTJs attempted to objectively define time. Yet, wouldn't one expect the opposite to be true since *defining* meaning is in Ti's wheelhouse?

edit2: The answer to your question is probably due to Ne/Te differences and how each type (supposedly) interacts with their environment.

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MyopicMemory View Post

edit: Here's a comparison I found interesting.

http://intjforum.com/archive/index.php/t-7084.html
    http://forums.intpcentral.com/showth...t=18512&page=1

There's a noticeable difference in how each type as a whole went about the question. It seems like more INTPs attempted to subjectively describe time while more INTJs attempted to objectively define time. Yet, wouldn't one expect the opposite to be true since *defining* meaning is in Ti's wheelhouse?
    You have to take into account that the questions were formulated differently, though. The INTP one had "you" all capitalised and bolded and talked about conceptualising things, the INTJ one had a dry "describe time"... Possibly, the difference is more apparent in the questions than in the answers.

I've said it before, but sometimes it feels like the INTJ is the INTP inside out. The images in the INTP link feel like the inside of my mind (streaming water, panta rhei, yes). Does the INTP mind look like this: http://www.swdc.wa.gov.au/files/gene...r/Building.jpg ?