Thread: Future Genetics

Junior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Default Future Genetics

With talk of advancements in science and technology being used to improve the human condition (such as Transhumanism), there are also theoretic models for biological and genetic modification through technology. For instance, say we had the technology to intrinsically change gene expression through physicochemical interactions between regulatory transcriptional behavior and cellular mechanisms. Then basically I could change my entire phenotypic makeup. If I wanted certain physiological characteristics and I had this biological technology, I would simply change my hair color or eye color at my own fancy.

Yet at the same time, this has severe ethical implications. For one, it rids one almost entirely of identity. So, the question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages if we had such a technology in the future? Is it ethical or not ethical to have such a technology in society?

Here is another instance. What is we had the technology to completely eliminate gender in the human species or make it where having a gender is optional (Postgenderism)? What do you think on such issues?

Type
    ENFP

Personally, I hate this technology. Why? Humans meddle with one another. Always have, always will. I don't want anything about me changed. I don't want geneticists fucking with my offspring before they're born either, even to make them "better" (by who's fucking definition anyway?). I find the whole idea pretentious because some geneticists have some idealized fantasy that they can implant "superior" genetic traits of one person into everyone else (and will admit to such while we're at it). What the fuck? With that in mind and my natural distrust for those in positions of authority, I'd rather the technology never advance to that point. I want to be me, not some idealized, mass-produced hybrid of patchwork DNA.
    9w8 sp/so/sx | x|C|oeI

every day I'm snufflin' Array Limey's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ

"I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility... for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now"
    [pounds table with fists]

Ethical or not, no part of the western world wants to be left behind in discovering new genetic technique. Commercial use will be controlled, but money talks. Just this week there's news of a sex deterministic test that works just weeks after conception.

It would be illogical to allow things to chance in the future and like the movie "gattaca" people will be refused opportunity based on what they are, rather than whom.

I once got some flack on the BBC talk-back for being against the stem cell research in the area of diabetes. I believe that natural selection and by association, adaptation are going to fail if we allow faulty, degenerative genes to stay in the pool by propagating and enabling their hosts.
    The person with the most power/money should not be the one that lives on - A prime example here is Ireland, with millions being direct descendants of Niall of the nine hostages;
    http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com...nine-hostages/

I think that from genetic/eugenic perspectives, variety really is the spice of life.
    I may not agree with anything I have said.

Senior Member Array
    Type
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
    Here is another instance. What is we had the technology to completely eliminate gender in the human species or make it where having a gender is optional (Postgenderism)? What do you think on such issues?
    This would be a huge step forward for human kind. Most people are stuck in this prison that is called gender(I guess you mean identity, and not sex). You do not change gender identity by changing the body, as this is a neurological part of the brain.

A free choice is the way to go.

Sex will be eliminated, as this is probably the most retarded part of being a human, at one point or another. If we evolve instead of going into extermination.

You already see more and more people become transgendered. This is probably just the first step towards a new and evolved race of humans. I dont see any problems speeding up this process to include physiology as well. As it will at one point anyway.

If you look at the few species that has a form of immortality. You will see the same patterns. An internal process of dividing cells. Not this linear road to doom most people experience today.

Junior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Etherealsage View Post
    I find the whole idea pretentious because some geneticists have some idealized fantasy that they can implant "superior" genetic traits of one person into everyone else (and will admit to such while we're at it).
    Indeed there has been talk of Eugenics in the future. People who wanted to reproduce would go in for a genetic screening for detection of heritable disease-related genotypes, mutations, phenotypes, and karyotypes to ensure optimum health for the offspring. There has also been talk of selective breeding in humans. Of course, Eugenics is a violation of human rights and would probably serve as an inhibitor to genetic diversity.

Agnostic Member Array
    Type
    INTP

I like the idea, I don't care the slightest about ethics, they are all different anyway.
    I know nothing. I don't even know if that statement is right.

Type
    ENFP

In an effort to keep this thread on topic about the merits and ethics of genetic engineering, I started a thread based on the different views of genetics and their impacts in general.
    9w8 sp/so/sx | x|C|oeI