Thread: The Difference Between Hypocrisy and Irony

Type
    XNTP

Default The Difference Between Hypocrisy and Irony

Quite a while back I posted this thread as a joke.

[QUOTE]I get sooooo angry when n00bs (In my opinion, anyone who doesn't have at least 300 posts under their belt) start threads about hustler. He's old news. And just because THEY don't like him doesn't mean everyone else has to listen to it. It just helps sustain his momentum. In fact, since he's become a mod, he hasn't even been that bad. So, in my opinion, anyone (but especially n00bs) who posts about him, particularly threads, is an IDIOT! And somehow, someone decides to agree with them and join in on the rant, which just keeps those idiots going./QUOTE]

When people responded to it they seemed to unanimously think it was ironic, but no mention was made of hypocrisy. My question is this--which parts of this rant would be considered ironic, and which would be considered merely hypocritical (or both)?
    I never fucked a ten, but one night I fucked five twos. I think that should count.
    ~George Carlin

Type
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFalcon View Post
    My question is this--which parts of this rant would be considered ironic, and which would be considered merely hypocritical (or both)?
    Hypocrisy is a subset of irony, but hypocrisy is typically an intellectual crime while irony is typically humorous. The fact that it was clearly intentional meant that it would be pointless to accuse you of the crime.

Made in Thailand Array Jennywocky's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Of course, if there were posters here who were poor perceivers of irony and misperceived your intent, they might have very well just called you a hypocrite.

(So the difference between the two partly depends on the attitude and mental mindset of the observer.)
    "The word on her lips is always YES, and all her being says YES YES YES to all that is happening and all that is offered her." - Anais Nin
    I love my life.

Type
    XNTP

that makes sense. but as long as we're on the subject, what kind of irony would this be considered to be (if any kind at all)? I'm leaning towards verbal, but that requires the irony to be intentional. While I did intentionally make the statement ironic, from the reader's point of view the irony is accidental.

please respond.
    I never fucked a ten, but one night I fucked five twos. I think that should count.
    ~George Carlin

Type
    INFJ

Fe-56, I think. The most stable isotope.