Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Netbook vs. notebook vs. laptop?

.plink and fluffly. Array aelan's Avatar
    Type
    ENTP

Default Netbook vs. notebook vs. laptop?

Question for the IT savvy here - I may be relocating for work, and while at work, I'll have a laptop/desktop that is from the office, but I'd need a personal computer of sorts too, since I can't do personal emails etc from work.

I've ruled out a desktop given the relocation and likelihood that I'd be travelling a fair bit, but I'm currently at a loss as to netbook vs. notebook vs. laptop. I've been reading online, but get rather conflicting opinions if I'd need a higher end netbook, or a notebook alone would do, and the price differential between a notebook and a laptop makes it seem like I should just get a laptop if I were to get a notebook.

Currently, my home laptop is an IBM one, clunky, but good. I can't take it to HK as it is from the office here though.

Applications I'm likely to need from home:

Word
    Excel
    Powerpoint
    adobe
    photoshop / image viewing/editing software
    anti-virus

What I'm likely going to use the home computer for:

Surfing the Net
    watching movies/dramas online (e.g. youtube/veoh)
    checking email
    foruming
    IMs
    work-related stuff (hence the word/ppt/excel)

I don't play RPGs etc, only casual java flash type games from kiddy sites like neopets.

I tend to run at least 3 visible programmes at one time too.

Recommendations and pros/cons of each?
    And what there is between a man and a woman.
    And in which darkness it can best be proved.
    Quarantine, Eavan Boland

transcontinental cookiedust-bunny writes. Uytuun's blogpet, property of bluebell & Tpol.

Senior Member Tetris Champion, SAM Site Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion Array !diom's Avatar
    Type
    IXXP

What size screen do you want and how much are you willing to spend?

Anyways, you seem like an XPS 13 chick. You're not broke and it doesn't seem like you need a tremendous amount of storage space, so I'd go for one with a 128 or 256 GB SSD. Also, Windows 7 + 4 GB of RAM is pretty sweet.

Type
    ENTP

12 inches and up preferably.

I'd prefer a max cost of 750 USD. This covers all netbooks I assume, and the lower end notebooks. Not so much a price concern, but a value consideration, e.g. if I have to junk the thing because I cannot run upgrades on it in a year or two time, i'd not consider it worth it?
    Quarantine, Eavan Boland

transcontinental cookiedust-bunny writes. Uytuun's blogpet, property of bluebell & Tpol.

Senior Member Tetris Champion, SAM Site Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion Array !diom's Avatar
    Type
    IXXP

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I'd prefer a max cost of 750 USD.
    Okay, I take back the XPS 13 recommendation, and will instead recommend that you look on newegg.com for what suites you best.

Type
    ENTP

^ That's about USD 1,000... =_=

thanks for the link, will check it out...

Anyone with feedback on the Eee PC 900/1000 series would be appreciated too...
    Quarantine, Eavan Boland

Type
    IXXP

C'mon, why do you need something around 750? I say go for double that. You've got to keep up appearances in the financial world, right?

Lulu... sweet thing Array foodeater's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

I have an eee pc 1005HA blah blah. I like having it for when I need to carry a computer around, but I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a primary computer. The screen is a little too small for that. It would work for what you want to use it for, though, and it's cheap.
    One day, I'll find just that friend who can see
    All this weird beauty
    Thrown right at me

Member Array
    Type
    INTP

All right. The straight up skinny on netbooks are that they are shit for performance. If you are used to a decently modern machine, trying to switch back and forth between watching videos, working on PDFs, spreadsheets and web browsers, the netbook is going to seem sluggish 90% of the time and down right unusable the rest of the time. Not to mention, due to the small size of netbooks, the keyboard will probably leave you feeling frustrated and annoyed.

Notebooks and laptops are the same thing, it is just a marketing distinction depending on the manufacturer. Dell and Lenovo(IBM) make the best business class laptops. Dells are a bit more expensive per square inch of performance, but have better aesthetic lines and feel of sturdiness in my opinion. That does not necessarily transfer to better performance or durability, though, they are probably equivalent.

If you get Dell's premium customer service package, for business equipment, you have access to much better tech support. But, the cost of the upgraded warranty (Gold Tech Support, last time I checked) will bump the cost up quite a bite for a machine that is probably all ready out of the 750 range.

That's all right though. You can get a base model T400 from Lenovo, new, for $739 usd (before whatever rebate they might be offering at the time). It has a relatively good keyboard, is relatively lightweight and offers excellent performance for non gamers. I believe it comes with a two year service warranty(maybe one year?) but is upgradeable for 50-70 dollars to 3 years.

Also, you can go to Lenovo's surplus outlet store https://www.directlenovo.com/public/ and find old models and refurbished t400s for a substantially lower price, albeit, without the option for the upgraded warranty.

Long story short-- You will probably want to do a bit of additional independent research, but don't mess with a netbook if you're going to be spending any substantial amount of time on it.

Type
    ENTP

Thanks... ughs... looks like i've to shell out for a laptop then..
    Quarantine, Eavan Boland

committed e-suicide. ttyl Array notjeffgoldblum's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

For me, the need to run photoshop would completely take the average netbook out of the equation. For you, it would probably be fine. Actually, I take that back. Don't do it. The only advantage netbooks have on other computers is their smaller size. Everything else about them is a disadvantage (small screens, cramped keyboards, generally lower capacity components). Running 3+ visible programs on a 10" screen will make you want to kill yourself. Don't get me wrong... I like netbooks and I will probably buy one in the future. Just realize that getting work done/being productive/enjoying your computer experience is not what they are designed for.

As brownbear said, 'notebook' and 'laptop' are essentially interchangeable nowadays. 'Notebook' was just a term computer makers gave to smaller, stripped-down laptops back before the category of really small, really stripped down 'netbooks' came into its own. The success of these very small computers pretty much polarized the industry between 'netbooks' and laptops (i.e., everything else)

Barring the invention of strong AI, you need not worry about a new computer being unable to run new versions of programs for 6+ years (on the low side) given the undemanding requirements of the applications you are interested in.

While I have never used one, I do hear Lenovo makes a good laptop. IMO, unless you have some image of haughty professionalism to uphold, they are not worth the price. I recommend this HP laptop from Best Buy. It is more than capable for everything you have listed and is also on sale at the moment so it's well under your budget. I think it would suit you perfectly (that is, if you don't mind crop circles on your keyboard).
    Please don't be cynical.
    -Conan O'Brien