Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon.com VS Amazon.ca

Junior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Hmm. Yes we have healthcare but it does have it's down side. On one hand it's free which is great. We are very lucky in that regard. Don't get me wrong on that.

But please don't think it's a perfect system. It's getting pretty difficult to find a family physician. When you do they will usually only see you for 5 minutes and you are only allowed to talk about one issue per visit -- you have to choose which you think is the most pressing. Then, if you need a referral, sometimes you have to wait up to 6 months to get one -- it depends on the speciality. Then....if you need surgery or something, you may have to wait up to a year, it really depends on what the surgery is and how urgently you are deemed to need it. The state deems what is urgent. By then you might be dead though, so all is good.

We do have private clinics here in Vancouver. Need your knee fixed and you want it done right away? You can pony up the bucks for that. Otherwise you have to wait. A lot of rich folks here (including politicans), use private clinics or just go to the USA to have their procedures done.

I gotta say - if I had a serious illness and I had the money I'd be heading down to the USA for treatment.

So in short neither system is perfect.

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTJ

Just remember:

Quote Originally Posted by Esterbrook View Post
    So in short neither system is perfect.
    Times like these I realise I'm too hard on Belgium.

Senior Member Array
    Type
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Violet View Post
    It's quite the mess. You both pay taxes for and you are also billed seperatly for it. Oftentimes once people become of age they arent informed they are being billed and recieve no such bills... until several years down the road when they are suddenly informed that they owe thousands. Then they start docking these kid's pay.

Oftentimes necassary medicines and procedures arent covered by the government. If you have a drug allergy and need a medicine that is not the "accepted, cheapest and most common" medicine perscribed the goverment will not cover it. Most surgeries arent covered until your incapable of living a normal life. The waiting lists can take years after that. If it is not the "accepted, cheapest and most common" form of the surgery chances are you wont be covered.

And nothing is ever "fully" covered. If the goverment re-imburses you, it may only be 10% and take years. You have to come up with the money up-front, THEN deal with the government.

At least, this is the way it is in BC. It varies by province.
    A lot, apparently.

Nothing you've stated is even remotely close to the truth for Manitoba, apart from the 'pay taxes' part.

Type
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by distraction tactics View Post
    A lot, apparently.

Nothing you've stated is even remotely close to the truth for Manitoba, apart from the 'pay taxes' part.
    I dont doubt that. I expect BC to be "backwards" these days though...

My unpatriotic mood has drained away now...

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

I've gotten books and DVDs shipped faster and at a much cheaper rate using American online book/DVD stores (on the West Coast at that) than with Amazon.ca whose headquarters are less than a two hour drive from my house.

Type
    infj

If there's one thing we excel at, it's selling shit. USA! USA! USA!

Feared System Lord ((~)) Array avolkiteshvara's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

I smell arbitrage.

self Array
    Type
    ISFJ

So you can buy things from different amazons? There's some stuff I'd like to buy from China's amazon that isn't sold in the United States (movies, music, etc). Of course I can't read chinese so it would be interesting to see if I actually do what I mean to.

Kanshiketsu Array
    Type
    xxxx

You can translate it into Chinglish pretty easily.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate