Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Quotes

Type
    xxxx

"What do you think an artist is? An imbecile who only has eyes if he is a painter, or ears if he is a musician, or a lyre in every chamber of his heart if he is a poet, or even, if he is a boxer, just his muscles? Far from it: at the same time he is also a political being, constantly aware of the heartbreaking, passionate, or delightful things that happen in the world, shaping himself completely in their image. How could it be possible to feel no interest in other people, and with a cool indifference to detach yourself from the very life which they bring to you so abundantly? No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war."
    --picasso
    buttwhole butthalf

Type
    INTP

Don't try. --Bukowski

Type
    INTP

I'm liking this lyric at the moment and would like to find a woman to sing it to me:

You're bad for me like cigarettes
    But I haven't sucked enough of you yet

- Rowland S Howard (Dead Radio)
    If a facetious person is a shit-stirrer, why isn't it spelled "faecetious"?
    I=76%, N=77%, T=79%, P=77%; or
    I=68%, N=84%, T=68%, P=89% (Comprehensive Report)
    Enneagram 9w1 so

Type
    INTJ

• When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending.

• Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

• Root out the violence in your life, and learn to live compassionately and mindfully. Seek peace. When you have peace within, real peace with others is possible.

• In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change.

Thich Nhat Hanh

A Taoist story tells of an old man who accidentally fell into the river rapids leading to a high and dangerous waterfall. Onlookers feared for his life. Miraculously, he came out alive and unharmed downstream at the bottom of the falls. People asked him how he managed to survive. "I accommodated myself to the water, not the water to me. Without thinking, I allowed myself to be shaped by it. Plunging into the swirl, I came out with the swirl. This is how I survived."

Zen story

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ent View Post
    Don't try. --Bukowski
    I was struck by how much I related to this Buowski quote when I first heard it in Barfly: "I don't hate people. I just feel better when they aren't around." Of course that has its limits. After I get my fill of solitude, I want people around, that is until I get my fill of company.

Quote Originally Posted by synagogue View Post
    • When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending.
    That's good to keep in mind whether you're on the receiving or giving end of that suffering. I liked the other quotes too.

Type
    INTP

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -C. S. Lewis

Junior Member Array
    Type
    INtp

"I have always strenuously supported the Right of every Man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies to another this right, makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is Reason. I have never used any other, and I trust I never shall."

Thomas Paine

Junior Member Array GroovingPict's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do in the first place doesn't mean it's useless...."

Thomas Edison
    "The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma."
    Patrick Starr

Type
    INTP

I understood every word you wrote but not one single sentence. - A contribution from somebody commenting on a great Great Insults compilation

Type
    INTP

Like a dull knife
    Just ain't cuttin'
    Just talkin' loud
    And saying nothing