Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Two Introverts

Known Troublemaker Array Hustler's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Default The Two Introverts

I have come to the conclusion that there are two distinct types of introverts with two very different sets of personality traits. Based on the statements and ideas contained in threads such as these,

http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=4336 and
    http://forums.intpcentral.com/showth...ht=actual+type,

it appears that many introverts (not just INTPs) would prefer to be extroverts. In fact, it seems that this may even be the case for over half of the introverts who participated in those threads. Even some of the posters who wanted to remain introverted admitted that they would like to be a little more outgoing. This desire for more extroversion in roughly half of all introverts implies, of course, that the remaining half are happy with their introversion and don't want to change.

Why do we have two distinct sets of introverts? I maintain it is that the set of introverts who wish to be extroverted are, in fact, introverts only by circumstance, and would do well to change their ways. These people are probably shy, unconfident, lacking in social skills or possess some other quality which forces them into introversion, thereby leading them into a realm of depression and loneliness. I see now that I was incorrect in offering the advice of embracing disdain (http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=4255) as an element of an introvert's means of overcoming feelings of misery or self-loathing, because these circumstantial introverts don't wish to embrace disdain and would rather be extroverts, for whom general disdain is probably alien. No, in fact, my advice and encouragement would only be useful for those introverts who enjoy their introversion but who feel social pressure to conform to an extroverted mindset.

As a true introvert, I find the desire to be more extroverted alien. If anything, I would like to be more introverted and have fewer social interactions in the day. What can we do for these poor lost souls (you know who you are!) who wish to be more extroverted and who often feel blue on account of being relegated to introversion against their will?

plain, simple garak Array garak's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Society (at least american society) idealizes extrovertedness, so you're bound to have lots of introverts wishing they were extroverts.

It's all about balance. When I first learned about MBTI, I went through this whole "embrace your introvertedness" thing, but now I realize that it is important to be balanced, and I've been not only trying to be "more E," but more S, and somewhat more F as well. I can't say I've been trying to be more J, but I have been trying to find ways to make my life and habits fit my P-ness in a successful way, instead of fighting an uphill battle against the J-isms of life.
    They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle!
    Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.

klaatu barata meshou Array meshou's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

Look, there are drawbacks to being extremely anything on MBTI.

I am extremely N, which leaves me with trouble with things like finding a red toaster in a white room. I would not quit being an N, but objectively, I do feel I would benefit from being more balanced. I currently am trying to develop Se and Si skills, as these are essential for, for example, not killing people while driving. That'd be a good idea.

Likewise, there are drawbacks to being heavily introverted and strengths, and those recognizing those drawbacks in themselves are far better off than those denying they exist.

You are a fairly balanced I/E, and so likely don't run into the problems of extreme introversion. So, why say people who objectively know they would benefit from being more balanced have problems? I'd say they're well on their way to solving their own problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by digest on irc
    i could stab you with love!
    Enneagram 4w3.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by garak
    It's all about balance.
    Amen to that, bro

> Society [...] idealizes extrovertedness, so you're bound to have
    > lots of introverts wishing they were extroverts.

That's it, too. I came to terms with my 'I' and 'P' long before the MBTI gave me the words to describe what I was balancing.

Now when I try to deride those stupid, pigeon-holed brats, I can just say "stupid SJs' and save some breath for other things worth complaining about.

//wait, SJs are worth the effert of complaining?
    INTP; INFP;INTJ; ISTP; entp

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious vowel
    Noelle: What's wrong, Abby?
    Dr. Abby Barnes: Nothing that a rooftop and an AK-47 won't take care of.

Type
    ENFJ

Very interesting, Hustler. I agree with you. I am one who goes to introversion under severe stress (or any form of stress really). I feel more comfortable and free being extraverted. I remember when I was as a child I was very loud and commanding, wanting all the attention on me. I'm still trying to figure out what happened.

From Entertainer to Librarian. *scratches head*

plain, simple garak Array garak's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ChristiRB
    Very interesting, Hustler. I agree with you. I am one who goes to introversion under severe stress (or any form of stress really). I feel more comfortable and free being extraverted. I remember when I was as a child I was very loud and commanding, wanting all the attention on me. I'm still trying to figure out what happened.

From Entertainer to Librarian. *scratches head*
    Maybe you're an ENFJ. It would explain the shadow introvertedness as well as other aspects of yourself
    They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle!
    Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.

Type
    ENFJ

LOL. Cute. Yeah, I am FINALLY breaking out of my shell at 27. And I would say I am an ENFJ with HSP.

Type
    INTP

See, I see myself as more introverted. I don't hate people in any way, and I don't mind being around them if they share similar interests, but I feel no need to change what I'm interested in nor believe to have more friends, as honestly I'm just as happy alone . Don't get me wrong-I love discussions with people about interesting topics if they have open minds, but I also need lots of alone time and don't mind being alone.

A nice day reading or programming is just as enjoyable as anything else to me usually.
    I do stuff.

Ornery Hathor of Krikkit Array booyalab's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

I agree with you on this and I think I'm one of the extrovert-wannabes you're talking about but I dont agree with all of your explanations for why said wannabes aren't more extroverted. I didnt know this in high school, so I was always wanting more but looking in the wrong places and coming up empty-handed, but I crave certain types of social interaction that I haven't encountered on a regular basis since I was a kid. creative, humorous, fun, challenging social encounters. My problem is I'm not usually willing to go through the mundane transitional feeling-people-out process in order to find out if I can get it from any given person. So when I do speak up in a group I usually weird everyone out or wax too analytical for anyone's taste.
    "So why did I do it? I could offer a million answers, all false. The truth is that I'm a bad person, but that's going to change, I'm going to change." Renton, Trainspotting

Type
    INTP

Extroversion does not mean sociable, an extrovert is simply orientated to the outside world, that Extroversion can be directed machinery, inanimate objects or anything, it does not need to be directed at other people... I sometimes have thought that I am an Introvert of circumstance (I have proposed these exact same theories several times in the past), I perticulary wonder how many ENFPs and ENTPs have had the Extroversion beat out of them over years of being missunderstood.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.