Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: INTP or INFP?

Type
    INTP

Responding to your last sentence, random, posts about my "feelings" without much thought also get ISFJ on that typing machine. But proper articles I've written out always get a strong INTP.
    "Charitably...I think...sometimes, perhaps, one must change or die. And in the end, there were, perhaps, limits to how much he could let himself change." -Lucien the librarian

Junior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveri View Post
    But I still wonder what I'm going to say if I'm asked this in a job interview. Maybe I can say that I feel like I'm fairly balanced on these traits? And that I really can't tell wether I'm more of a thinker or a feeler and that it depends on how "thinker" and "feeler" are defined. Yeah.
    Why are you worried you'll be asked this in a job interview? Wouldn't they ask more specific questions? But I've never been to an actual job interview so I have no idea what they ask. The closest thing to this was the interview when I applied to polytechnic. The questions seemed pretty similar to this Työhaastattelukysymyksiä (sorry, people. not in English.).

You said earlier you hate lying but that does not mean you have to overshare or give too accurate answers in a job interview. The interviewer is not looking for the exact truth of your persona but whether you look like you could get the job done and fit the company reasonably.

Answering a question in a job interview with a "it depends on how the terms are defined" is probably not a good idea? I'm told by some people I come off as flippant and sarcastic when I do that. Though perhaps it might be a good answer if it's an academic research job.

Oh my, you live in tah same country! I decided not to write the country's name because that would increase the probability of people who know me IRL reading this thread, which I wouldn't prefer to happen.
    I thought you were trying to stay incognito and avoiding saying the name so I didn't say it either. Sorry if I outed you

There's a reason I never tell this nick to some people in my life. They are scarily interested in net stalking.

A miracle has happened, btw. Thanks to this piece of news:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17749533
    ...I now understand the people who got upset about the assistant's blog post better than before.
    Wow, Swedes really can surprise people every now and then...

I'm finally learning bit by bit that just because I don't understand why someone gets emotional about something that does not make their emotions less valid. Perhaps I don't understand the underlying emotion at all but at least I don't dismiss their right to be upset right away.

I just put the end of this post (the racist cake thing) in the typing machine and it typed me (or the text) as ISFJ. Now I'm confused. Also, the typer machine typed my poem as an INFP. :D
    You like the typing machine way too much

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
    Answering a question in a job interview with a "it depends on how the terms are defined" is probably not a good idea?
    To whatever extent that INTPs qualify as `the most logical of all the MBTI types' how logical seems it to give closure-inducing answers to questions in which the terms are NOT defined or may be freely substituted after the answer is given?
    iNtuitive Feelers -- INFPs among them -- are much more likely to ignore mappings of surface structural words, phrases, and/or terms onto precise meanings/semantics as they are evoking emotional responses in their quests to promote warm fuzzies.

Yes, we INTPs often do seem flippant and/or sarcastic when we out our would-be betters for presumptuousness, crappy or non existent symbol grounding, or specific mappings of terms onto semantics.
    If an INTP fails to play fast and loose with language like so many mainstream ducks he or she ends up an ugly duckling with any number of attributes ascribed to him or her.

An INFP might skulk off or respond by apologizing in such a situation.
    I -- as an INTP? -- am more likely to stand my ground and discuss or debate, sometimes perhaps help the speaker refine his or her thoughts and feelings and express them in an unambiguous way.

INFPs and INTPs behave VERY differently in such situations.
    Have you ever visited an INFP group on the web?
    The language is so mealy mouthed, bland, and/or apologetic ...

To me it seems that an INTP will more often debate and discuss with rigor and vigor whereas an INFP will tuck his or her tail between legs and retreat more often than not ... unless backed into a corner or acting on someone else's behalf.

Member Reactor Champion Array Sloth's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

I recommend this guy's youtube channel.

Specifically this video and this video.

He explains types and functions as well as anyone I've encountered, online or otherwise.

Another note: If you watch the videos, you'll notice that INFPs dominant function is Fi whereas INTP is Ti, and we don't have Fi in our main make up. Our F is an Fe, and it's inferior. INFP's T is Te, and it's inferior. There's a big diff between Fi and Fe people, and also Ti and Te people. His videos have helped me discern differences quite a bit.

Type
    INTP

Read about the cognitive processes. They are the most important area to study when learning about the MBTI. See whether Fi or Ti is more congruent with you.

Ti: Analyzes and breaks things apart to the very essence in a detached, objective manner.
    Fi: Focuses on onself's emotions, feelings, and what one values as important in a subjective manner.

EDIT: And yeah pay attention to what the guy above me posted, those are very good videos.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I recommend this guy's youtube channel.

Specifically this video and this video.

He explains types and functions as well as anyone I've encountered, online or otherwise.

Another note: If you watch the videos, you'll notice that INFPs dominant function is Fi whereas INTP is Ti, and we don't have Fi in our main make up. Our F is an Fe, and it's inferior. INFP's T is Te, and it's inferior. There's a big diff between Fi and Fe people, and also Ti and Te people. His videos have helped me discern differences quite a bit.
    MBTI clarity is really quite amazing, isn't it?

Member Reactor Champion Array Sloth's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by doctorjuice View Post
    MBTI clarity is really quite amazing, isn't it?
    Yeah, for sure. I hope those links in my other post were able to help some folks out. When I started learning about mbti I thought it was all about the letters and didn't realize it's completely about functions. It happens.

Banned Array
    Type
    ESFJ

emulate topographic celibacy