Thread: Let's skip the standard greeting formula, shall we ?

Junior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Default Let's skip the standard greeting formula, shall we ?

I guess the correct greeting tradition on this forum is to insist on how irrelevant the MBTI classification is.
    It's sorta like Astrology for smart people, innit ? Identify with what fits, ignore what doesn't... suddenly you're special !
    I'm not really rejecting it, mind you. That would be hypocritical.
    And, if nothing else, It's a lot less ridiculous than the "Asperger's" craze.

Anyway, there is something about my relationship to others that I don't understand and maybe my fellow intps can help, this problem seems common enough among us.
    I am pretty well insulated from feelings I don't like, except social embarassment.

Take sadness for example : As a kid, right about the time my mom told me that boys don't cry, I decided to grab the problem by the horns : I made a list of things to do and think about every time I cried.
    It involved standing in front of a mirror while reciting Woody Allen-type jokes. Invariably, incontrollable laughter would replace sadness.
    The conditioning worked : Now, every time I see a person cry, I am
    overcome with hilarity. This is a problem at funerals. Or is it ?

I am also well insulated from anger, hate and "love".
    What I do feel is satisfaction, contempt, admiration (a lot less than contempt, but whose fault is that ?), irony, cynicism, awe, pleasure, benevolence, happiness.
    OK, some of them aren't really feelings, but you get the point.
    I consider my own emotional soup to be near-optimum and top-notch for maximizing constant happiness without sacrificing a truthful view of the world, like the blue-pill, steak-eating guy's in Matrix does. (It will cure impotence too, and it's only 9,99 $ !).

Except for social embarassment, or "shyness".
    I can't figure out why approaching people, making smalltalk, and even things like picking up the phone or responding to emails are so fucking hard.
    They are not merely annoying, those tasks actually hurt for some reason.

They say shyness is linked to low self-esteem but I don't have a mediocre bone in my body. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Other people are _dumb_. Not only do they not understand the world, they do not wish to understand it. Their stupidity makes them ignorant, their ignorance makes them dangerous.
    "Innocence is like a dumb leper who has lost his bell, wandering the world, meaning no harm. "

So why do I care about their reaction in social settings when I despise their intellect, interests and moral judgment, not to mention their political or philosophical "positions" ?

In the Paul James INTP def, it says : "INTPs hate to think of themselves being in any way inadequate" and "they depend too much on the attitudes of others".
    True-but why is that, when the audience is a bunch of brainless monkeys ? I wish I could come up with another conditioning process like the Mirror-Joke. Any ideas ?

Oh, and if you want to debate me, here are some of my current positions : libertarian, atheist, utilitarian, cornucopian, antifeminist, anti-Global-Warming-craze, individualist, anti-relativist, anti-accomodationist (I went to the "Be a Dick"-School of Debate. You are both warned and invited. Insult me at your leasure. The fucker who will "offend" me isn't born.)

Most of those beliefs are very scarce among the general population, although somehow more numerous online. I think a lot of them correlate with INTP-ness to some degree, so I'm curious about their prevalence here.

Type
    INTP

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
    Except for social embarassment, or "shyness".
    I can't figure out why approaching people, making smalltalk, and even things like picking up the phone or responding to emails are so fucking hard.
    They are not merely annoying, those tasks actually hurt for some reason.
    You should master the gentle art of depersonalisation. The faster you can depersonalise from an awkward situation, the better. Then work on depersonalised small-talk, depersonalised charm, and depersonalised personalisedness so people don't suspect that you're aloof.

Or alcohol. That works too.

They say shyness is linked to low self-esteem but I don't have a mediocre bone in my body. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
    I wouldn't say low self-esteem, but rather high self-dissatisfaction. Why do you settle for pissing excellence in the morning? Why not piss perfection? Does this not bother you?

So why do I care about their reaction in social settings when I despise their intellect, interests and moral judgment, not to mention their political or philosophical "positions" ?

In the Paul James INTP def, it says : "INTPs hate to think of themselves being in any way inadequate" and "they depend too much on the attitudes of others".
    True-but why is that, when the audience is a bunch of brainless monkeys ? I wish I could come up with another conditioning process like the Mirror-Joke. Any ideas ?
    Your parents didn't give you enough validation growing up. They were too busy setting the bar higher.

Insult me at your leisure.
    Couldn't be bothered.

Junior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

You should master the gentle art of depersonalisation.
    I'll do that. Being a psycho with no empathy isn't enough, I have to become a zombie. Sounds good enough.
    Or alcohol.
    I'll keep a bottle of hard liquor near the phone, in case someone calls.
    Couldn't be bothered.
    Meh.

Type
    INTP

I'll do that. Being a psycho with no empathy isn't enough, I have to become a zombie. Sounds good enough.
    I'll keep a bottle of hard liquor near the phone, in case someone calls.
    Happy to help!

Meh.
    Pfft.