Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spine health woes

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Skinart View Post
    The biggest things I've done for back health were paying attention at a young age when being taught how to safely lift things, and actually doing those things; and taking some advice from a PT about back health and putting my wallet in my front pocket.
    bleh I always forget about the wallet thing. I just can't stand it in a front pocket. I thought of swapping from right to left periodically but that doesn't feel right either. I do take it out of my pocket when I'm at home though at least.

my posture at work is so bad I'm surprised I don't have more than some neck pain when turning.

Words Aski Champion Array rhinosaur's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

I always take it out and leave it on my desk in the office that I share with three other people. Then I forget it's out of my pocket and wander off somewhere. It's kind of amazing no one has ever stolen it.

Вanned Psychopath Array Hephaestus's Avatar
    Type
    Jefe

Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    bleh I always forget about the wallet thing. I just can't stand it in a front pocket. I thought of swapping from right to left periodically but that doesn't feel right either. I do take it out of my pocket when I'm at home though at least.

my posture at work is so bad I'm surprised I don't have more than some neck pain when turning.
    While making the transition there was a period where I was very fond of cargo pants. I also went money clip for a while, but that was just to match my fur coat's level of pretentiousness.
    We are free to think as we wish--so long as we don't think what we aren't wished to think....
    You motherfucker, if you're gonna put it in your sig, you better attribute it to me--Polemarch

Type
    INTP

3rd world squat/ that's actually what i've heard it called- the version of a squat that humans naturally do.

the problem with sitting at a desk is that it atrophies your hamstrings, and decreases your mobility. your whole body ends up being tormented and misshapen. i know this intimately: am discovering it through strength training- although i'm sure any other physical activity would have it as a roadblock.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...irdworld_squat

what i'm finding is that my 'back issues' are really full-body muscle issues, that can be addressed through pretty much any kind of training. the glutes, quads, hamstrings all work in concert to provide support to the core, which is a labrynthine nightmare of crosshtached nonsense that includes your abs, hip flexors, spine, everything.

for instance, i've been doing deadlifts, which are basically kneeling like a gorilla and pulling a heavy weight from the floor. the most surprising result of this work has been that my hamstring mobility is spontaneously through the roof. 'no duh,' i can hear people saying, but consider that i haven't really been stretching all that much, just dynamic stretching at the beginning of a set, maybe random stretches whenever i feel like it.

I've heard it said this way- that flexibility is in the brain. meaning, a normally 'stiff' person, under anaesthesia, has the same flexibility as a gymnast. the muscles don't 'lengthen', they allow themselves to be used to whatever extent is required by the work you're doing. that suggests that it's a neurological issue more than anything else.

the meaning of this post is this: go do something with your body, use it or lose it.
    Last edited by squats; 26 Apr 2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: post sponsored by alcohol

Type
    INTP

I have similar issues with arm/shoulder pain. I think it's from using a Wacom tablet all day at work. Something about my posture probably isn't right, although I do try to sit with good posture at my desk. I've seen doctor's about it and had X-rays, MRIs, and even the nerve test for carpel tunnel done but everything comes back normal. My shoulder and arm have hurt everyday for close to 3 years. It's not normal, but I don't know what else to do if doctor's can't find anything to fix.

Sorry, I don't have anything helpful to add.

Fry Cook on Venus Array bass_n_treble's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

When I first got my laptop, I stayed hunched over it for 9 hours at a time for a few months. Then I experienced a lovely back spasm--it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my entire life.

Since then I've been jogging at somewhat regular intervals, and stretching. Planks definitely help, as well as sit-up declines with twists, and holding push up at half-position (after doing 20).

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I always take it out and leave it on my desk in the office that I share with three other people. Then I forget it's out of my pocket and wander off somewhere. It's kind of amazing no one has ever stolen it.
    That's because we live in Raleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    I have similar issues with arm/shoulder pain. I think it's from using a Wacom tablet all day at work. Something about my posture probably isn't right, although I do try to sit with good posture at my desk. I've seen doctor's about it and had X-rays, MRIs, and even the nerve test for carpel tunnel done but everything comes back normal. My shoulder and arm have hurt everyday for close to 3 years. It's not normal, but I don't know what else to do if doctor's can't find anything to fix.

Sorry, I don't have anything helpful to add.
    Massage has helped me with this. It's still a chronic issue for me and the only thing that makes it go away for long periods of time is to not use a computer and drive with my other arm.

I'm going to a chiropractor for the first time pretty soon. I'm not in any pain at the moment, but back pain is fairly typical for me, especially lower back pain. I think it helps if I stay warm, don't lift a lot of heavy stuff, and wear light stability sneakers. I think massages help with that a little bit too.

terminally laid-back Array Faust06's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

I'm used to it now. I've worn my wallet in the front right pocket for so long I have a bald spot on my leg.

what i'm finding is that my 'back issues' are really full-body muscle issues, that can be addressed through pretty much any kind of training. the glutes, quads, hamstrings all work in concert to provide support to the core, which is a labrynthine nightmare of crosshtached nonsense that includes your abs, hip flexors, spine, everything.
    I don't think level of activity is the only significant factor at play. For instance, my uncle is on his feet most of the day and very athletic (hockey, golf, baseball), but has the flexibility of a piece of wood. Not that he does tons of stretches, but I think genetics could have some impact. That being said, I make it a point not to sit on my ass all day, and I walk about for its own sake.

Member Array randomthoughtsracing's Avatar
    Type
    intp

The wife has a reverse neck curve that causes plenty of pain and headaches years of chiropractor and therapy yeilded some releif but no solutions. After some reserch i sent her to a "whole chiropractic" clinic and now 6 months later the neck curve is better and visits are only for maintenance. Fewer migraines also.

Type
    INTP

What did they do for her neck, randomthoughtsracing?