Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dissociation and you

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    That's how I figure it. The one thing that does worry me is that it might affect connections to other people, or some fluffy shit like that. In general, this would not be a problem. But for romantic situations, or generally situations where strong emotions are appropriate, I guess I would have a tendency to float away.
    It's really up to you to decide whether it is affecting you negatively or not. If it's affecting your ability to form relationships with other people then maybe it does require some attention.
    Hey, the party's over here.

Type
    INTP

Dissociation is a defense mechanism which builds up in order to protect you from stressful situations. Some of the causes are tiredness, boredom, fear, anxiety, anger, depression. Since it makes you detached from yourself, an outside observer of yourself, the reality seems like watching a movie, or playing a video game. You're doing things on autopilot. Apathy can be manifested before dissociation, leaving you emotionless. At first, dissociation comes and goes periodically and after some time it may become chronic. Actually, it's a form of self-hypnosis.

That's the key - being completely free from beliefs and emotions in order to find out what caused the problem, and heal yourself. Focus on the why, and then focus on the how. You will be unable to experience life fully in a dissociated state until you find a solution to the root issue. It indicates that a change in your lifestyle is necessary. Going to unknown places, meeting new people and having new experiences will help.

An INTP will dissociate due to several reasons, including: negative thoughts / outlook upon the world (pessimism which can further lead to depression), excessive skepticism or self-doubt, performance-based worry (which can lead to anxiety), constantly living "inside the head" without taking note of the present moment, and suppression of emotions (leading to apathy). These can combine and make dissociation more lasting.

A possible scenario is that using Ti too much takes a toll, so the other functions become less expressed, and that leads to dissociation. Also, there's an interesting correlation between apathy, dissociation and schizoid personality disorder, but that's another story.
    Carpe noctem.

Transcended Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Not sure whether this applies, but from time to time I experience the following two things (usually not together).

First, the "name weirdness" feeling. Like I suddenly feel strangely unfamiliar with my own name. Ever just had a moment where you look at a word and just get lost in a sudden wonder of why and how it is spelled like that, why that sound was chosen to represent that concept, and how suddenly and inexplicably "weird" it seems now, despite how common and everyday it is generally? (I experience this often enough, as well). Well, if you do, my "name weirdness" is like that, but somehow more, for it references me. As I fall down this ponderous slope, I suddenly feel somehow different than myself, if that makes any sense, to the point of it being "cognitively disorienting". I need to quickly "come back up" and focus on something familiar and known (like certain music, or something).

Second, I sometimes feel "like an observer of my own actions" -- like I'm actually somehow a separate thing from my own mind and body, watching as if from a slight distance outside my body, as I act, speak, and otherwise interact with the world as if on some kind of "autopilot", while I feel that I myself am just watching it all play out, not really in control. It is something like a dragged out deja vu, perhaps (thats how I've come to regard it, anyhow). In this case, I tend to come back down "hitting the ground running", as if I'm whole again, and I'm mildly confused by how I could have felt disconnected just then, and what I was thinking about while I was disconnected, since I was thinking about this other thing here instead... but it fades quickly, and everything goes back to normal (apart from a certain lingering deja vu like feeling, somatically)

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by noxeternae View Post
    A possible scenario is that using Ti too much takes a toll, so the other functions become less expressed, and that leads to dissociation. Also, there's an interesting correlation between apathy, dissociation and schizoid personality disorder, but that's another story.
    I dunno. Little of what you say as causes feels quite right to me; it is in a sense a self-defence mechanism, yes. But I'm more likely to be more open when I'm dissociated. Also, for me the dissociated state is not of blanket apathy as much as it is targeted apathy. In other words, when in that state, I can be in touch with a deeper set of feelings that just may not be a functional of the current moment. A bad analogy: on a subway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Not sure whether this applies, but from time to time I experience the following two things (usually not together). ...
    The name thing is perhaps not so strange; apparently that phenomenon of words losing all meaning is called semantic satiation. The latter part sounds like depersonalisation. You say it fades quickly, so that's perhaps fairly "normal".

Type
    INTP

In addition to the name dissociation phenomenon, I experience a strong dissociation with any photos or videos of me, and even looking in the mirror. I went through a stage where I didn't want to be photographed at all (except when absolutely necessary for things like passports and driver's license), and I still have a strong aversion towards being photographed, and will do my best to avoid it. It's quite rare that I let this guard down.

(I'm not entirely sure how Skype video calls are able to bypass this aversion - possibly because I'm so curious to see and watch others, that I realize reciprocity is in order).

I also experience something similar with reading any material I have written (including old posts). There are many things I write in a trance-like state (not forum related), that when I read them again, I can't recall having written any of it.

Resident Psychonaut Array ObtainGnosis's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

The Title is Dissociation and You. Here is my response:

"All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event – in the living act, the undoubted deed – there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there’s naught beyond. But ’tis enough. He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it. That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the white whale agent, or be the white whale principal, I will wreak that hate upon him. Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I’d strike out the sun if it insulted me."

Type
    INTP

Methoxetamine. Never heard of it before.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by mxmxmx View Post
    In addition to the name dissociation phenomenon, I experience a strong dissociation with any photos or videos of me, and even looking in the mirror. I went through a stage where I didn't want to be photographed at all (except when absolutely necessary for things like passports and driver's license), and I still have a strong aversion towards being photographed, and will do my best to avoid it. It's quite rare that I let this guard down.

(I'm not entirely sure how Skype video calls are able to bypass this aversion - possibly because I'm so curious to see and watch others, that I realize reciprocity is in order).

I also experience something similar with reading any material I have written (including old posts). There are many things I write in a trance-like state (not forum related), that when I read them again, I can't recall having written any of it.
    A big clunky "ditto" on almost all of that.

Вanned Psychopath Array Hephaestus's Avatar
    Type
    Jefe

A big clunky "ditto" on almost all of that.
    Same, but as a lardass there is an element of wanting to limit the old fat photos I'll have to hunt down and destroy should I ever correct that. Mostly there is an odd paranoia that creeps in when photos, especially 'official' photos of me are taken. I always have a need to get a haircut or shave my beard--or start growing one again--immediately after the photo is taken. I have an aversion to looking like photos of me...
    We are free to think as we wish--so long as we don't think what we aren't wished to think....
    You motherfucker, if you're gonna put it in your sig, you better attribute it to me--Polemarch

Resident Psychonaut Array ObtainGnosis's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Methoxetamine. Never heard of it before.
    It's legal and procurable online. It's wonderful. The Wiki article doesn't do it justice.
    "All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event – in the living act, the undoubted deed – there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there’s naught beyond. But ’tis enough. He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it. That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the white whale agent, or be the white whale principal, I will wreak that hate upon him. Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I’d strike out the sun if it insulted me."