Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Surgery

Void Filled! Array nottaprettygal's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ

Default Plastic Surgery

I have been thinking about this lately (the topic, not getting it myself). Part of me feels as though it's only for people who place their personal value on the way they look.

Recently my dad got plastic surgery, and he claimed that it was for himself...not for anyone else. Is that a valid claim? It is hard for me to believe that cultural pressure cannot be factored into a person's desire to alter their appearence.

In my dad's case, I eventually accepted his choice. After all, it's his money and his body, and he can do whatever he pleases with them. Nonetheless, I question his reasoning along with the reasoning of everyone else who decides to get plastic surgery. People should just come out and say, "I want people to like me more. I want to be accepted," because that appears to be the real reason people opt for cosmetic surgery, right?

Let's try not to turn this thread into a boob discussion, shall we?

Ornery Hathor of Krikkit Array booyalab's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

It's ALWAYS for yourself. Culture can't make you insecure about something. You decide whether you will let comments and media pictures affect you to the point of spending thousands of dollars on it.
    "So why did I do it? I could offer a million answers, all false. The truth is that I'm a bad person, but that's going to change, I'm going to change." Renton, Trainspotting

Member Array
    Type
    INTP

I wouldn't say no to plastic surgery on my nose. Not because I care about how others percieve it, but because my nose annoys me. I don't really care about the ethics attached to plastic surgery. Your body is basically your exterior. If you want to change how it looks, you're entitled to do so. It's no different from getting a nicer case for your computer. The computer parts won't change, but from the outside the computer'll look nicer. If I'm satisfied with my nose, I'll be happier with the way my face looks. My personality and my friends and my place in society will not change - and I don't want them to. It isn't always to do with how others see you, or how accepted you are.

I do love me though (I'm a bit of a narcissist), and I could live without getting plastic surgery. If it was offered to me for free (or if I was incredibly rich) though...

If anyone's curious - I have a very large, crooked nose. It doesn't affect me in any way and nobody else cares. However, given the option of getting rid of the bump in it, I'd say yes.

Void Filled! Array nottaprettygal's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Neptron
    If anyone's curious - I have a very large, crooked nose. It doesn't affect me in any way and nobody else cares. However, given the option of getting rid of the bump in it, I'd say yes.
    But what if having a bump on your nose was suddenly considered the epitome of beauty? Would you still want to fix it?

I suspect no. That's why I say that cultural norms have to play a role in a person's decision to get plastic surgery.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal
    But what if having a bump on your nose was suddenly considered the epitome of beauty? Would you still want to fix it?

I suspect no. That's why I say that cultural norms have to play a role in a person's decision to get plastic surgery.
    but some women get disgustingly huge breast implants, while others get drastic breast reductions, and both are living in the same culture.
    "So why did I do it? I could offer a million answers, all false. The truth is that I'm a bad person, but that's going to change, I'm going to change." Renton, Trainspotting

Type
    INTP

and there are plenty of flat women that dont get implants at all

Member Array
    Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal

I don't find it terribly ugly. I just don't like it. It's too big for my face. D: But I suspect you're right. I'm not about to deny that cultural norms play a role in our idea of perfection or beauty. As a child I was sometimes bullied for my nose and it's given me a negative opinion of it ever since.

I wouldn't change my nose to please other people though. People already consider me attractive (as far as I know) and I've no problems in that department... and I wouldn't use the term "fix", either. My nose isn't broken or imperfect. I'd just like it to look different. Although not enough to dish out 3000 for surgery. It's not important enough for me to spend large sums of money on it, or even important enough for me to think about very often.

Since the subject was brought up though...

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab
    and there are plenty of flat women that dont get implants at all
    some people are even pressured into capitalization and punctuation

heinous
    Quote Originally Posted by lexiphanic
    You're just jealous of all my inane comments when all you have are quotes.

Senior Member Array
    Type
    INTP

I think the possible benefits are worth the research...

I have been thinking about this lately (the topic, not getting it myself). Part of me feels as though it's only for people who place their personal value on the way they look.
    Yeah, I tend to think of it as an attempt to bring people bowing down to the demands of our current lifestyle and how beauty is reflected in the media.

But then again, so is everything else
    on the planet

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lexiphanic
    some people are even pressured into capitalization and punctuation

heinous
    SHUSH!!!!!!!!!